Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to think this is Elon sandbagging. I cannot believe they would invest in creating what they called the worlds most powerful supercomputer (or something like that) at AI day and then not go all-in on it once it's running on full steam.

Perhaps, but Elon has said that he tries to be very literal so people don't need to read between the lines. I have no doubt that they're going all in, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to succeed. In any case Dojo's advantage over GPU at this point does not seem to be a sure thing - because Elon literally said that.

The premise that less expensive equals lower margin is not in evidence in Tesla's case. Model Y is more profitable than is Model 3 because Model Y is less expensive to manufacture than is Model 3, as has been repeatedly said by several Tesla people including Elon. Exacerbating the situation is that Model y has higher ASP.

In the hypothetical case of the 'now debunked by Elon' small car, the new technologies and the Tesla Bot (now named Optimus) could combine with, say, BYD Blade structural packs to allow very high margins, even more so with Performance models.

Elon says this is not being planned. FWIW, the previously strongly implied 12 passenger van for the Boring Company etc has not even been discussed recently.

HOWEVER: There are design teams and design facilities being put in place in Shanghai and Grüneheide. What will they do if not new models.

In my very humble option there still will be new Models in both places. They just will follow Semi, Cybertruck and Roadster so will probably happen in late 2023 or 2024. Elon did say what we all know is true: There is no point in introducing new models when they are severely constrained by chips already. They did NOT say that a major reason for slow rollout of Model X refresh was lack of chips; what is the most chip-intensive model in Tesla's current offerings?

We should all be well aware that a major contribution to the TSLA 2021 results was optimization of chip deployment to the highest margin vehicles. For reference just check the wait times for orders during the last year. Faster deliveries were for the highest margin vehicles, with greatest emphasis on those that were easiest to deploy. Entirely in retrospect, Model Y has had inordinate attention and Model S Plaid has diffused that concentration to some degree.

It is no accident that both Berlin and Austin are producing Model Y, that the scarce 4680's are going to Austin until other 4680 producers come on line.
As we already know CATL, LG and Panasonic are all building 4680 lines to complement the Tesla ones in Kato Road, Shanghai, Austin and Grüneheide. Interestingly they said on the call that 4680's would NOT be LFP. Therefore CATL is nearly certain to produce both cell to pack LFP and also 4680s' in anther chemistry. Elon said he expected to have chip problems resolved in 2022 to early 2023 after which they would be cell constrained;
Thus we can infer that 2023 will have not only huge automotive growth but also truly massive TE growth, that also was explicit.

Now our problem is to quantify all that 4680 supply for ~2023. Here is what we seem to know plus a couple informed guesses:
CATL 80 gWh Adjacent to Tesla Shanghai (already producing and delivering CATL Cell to Pack LFP, appear to be planning for 4680 structural Cell to
Pack in that factory. My unconfirmed speculation is that they'll expand to produce the 4680's while also continuing the LFP.
Panasonic 10 gWh As announced to be built in Japan for 2023 production of ,10 gWh. If they cannot commit to more than that it will be surprising. I call it 10
LG 10 gWh As announced but...newly public they'll really want more of Tesla so I think this will grow before opening.
Kato Road. 10 gWh. Present stated capacity. Of course that will rise by 2023.
GF Berlin. ~ 50 gWh They are building a large footprint there with multi-story so we can expect very compact fabrication. My guess.
GF Austin. ~ 50 gWh
2023 total ~210gWh
Obviously this is mostly guesswork, but I think there is good justification for the assumptions. Each of these could very well rise substantially.
IN 2023 the vehicle demand for 4680's alone could be as much as 2,000,000 which at 80kWh per vehicles would consume 160 gWh alone. Of course Models S and X, Roadster, Cybertruck and Semi will use a multiple of that, and probably a majority of vehicles produced then will use LFP as will most TE products. Thus that calculation is only to illustrate the scale being planned.

My personal view is that the combination of Optimus, 4680, Gigapresses and new factories are about to combine to deliver a virtuous cycle unlike we have seen. The Elon perpetual bleating about Robotaxi may or may not happen. In any event the Optimus solution uses the same technology, but within carefully designed parameters and with known and limited edge cases.

We have been offered a clear statement of the near future, obscured by the distraction of FSD.
If I have suddenly missed amaro impediments please advise.

2023 logical possibility for 4680 use:

Cybertruck. 150 kWh x 200,000. 30 gWh
Semi 400 kWh x 15,000. 6 gWh
Model Y Lr+P. 90 kWh x 250,000. 22.5 gWh
Roadster. 250 kWh x 5,000. 1.2. gWh
Models S & X 100 kWh x. 20,000. 2 gWh
Total 61.7 gWh

That uses less than a third of the expected 2023 available production. First, the 4680 supply will still be ramping so there probably will only be around half that installed capacity actually available in 2023. Second, those production and kWh estimates may well be low. Third, and most important, these are all speculations so who actually knows? Specifically it si plausible to use more cell supply to produce much longer ranges than have been seen thus. That is an obvious advantage in mountains, incline weather, long haul trucking and...Germany!

I find it unlikely that the margin of a $25k car will produce the same margins as a $60k MY, especially when margins for MY are even better than M3. Are you saying that a $25k model can use fewer than half the chips (especially the supply constrained ones), while having less than half the production cost as a MY in the 2022 / 2023 timeframe?

Overall was very satisfied by the call, although i think conversation about the optimus bot was a bit of an eye roller in this context - sure it's exciting and interesting, but not super relevant to a quarterly earnings call IMO.
I think you are very wrong about Optimus. When robot was introduced it was ‘something that makes sense for us to do down the road’.

In a very short period of time, Optimus leap-frogged multiple new vehicles in priority. Why?

There have been hints along the way that Tesla is having various workforce issues; GigaNevada, several ‘recruitment’ events and comments - including a ‘hey, come work for us if -‘ comment made by Elon in this ER call and the last one, talk of opening schools and investment in colleges/universities in areas around their factories etc…

There are several references in the world of the pandemic causing a vast wave of people to unexpectedly leave the workforce.

The world has yet another ‘people’ problem. Optimus solves some of that for Tesla’s incredible growth aspirations.

You are not thinking big enough.

I know it's not what Elon exactly said, but what I think he meant was that planned upgrades to Fremont and Shanghai can easily bring production capacity by mid 2022 of the two existing plants to 150% of 2021 production. I think actually hitting that number without any contribution from Austin or Berlin might be difficult. Elon sometimes speaks in imprecise ways, particularly when he knows, for example, that there will be enough contribution from the two new plants that actual results will handily beat 150% of 2021.

I could be wrong but that's kind of how I interpreted his comment. It was a way to take the pressure off the need to have fast ramps of one or both of the new plants.
Disagree, they said the existing plants are underproducing due to part shortages and F&S could do 50% more on their own.
Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2021 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool
Zach:
As we look forward, we expect 2022 to be another significant and exciting year for the company. We continue to drive for vehicle volume growth at or above 50%, as Elon mentioned, and our plans show that this is actually achievable with just our Fremont and Shanghai factories. For quite some time now, these factories have been running below capacity due to macro challenges with supply and logistics. As Elon mentioned as well, from what we're seeing, the pace of growth in 2022 will, again, be determined by supply chain and logistics, which is quite difficult for us to forecast.Despite these constraints, it's important to begin the ramp of Austin and Berlin to ensure that we are prepared once limitations ease, enabling us to increase total output more quickly in the future.

One is certainly reflecting the other! Nice thing is......banks don't care about anything but money, and the math is happening as we speak. I think @The Accountant is halfway done with 2022 EPS revisions, banks shouldn't be far behind.

Sold another 100 shares @ $877 and converted to LEAPs/calls/powder:
Jan 2024 $1200c @ $226
Jan 2023 $900c @ $206.50
Mar 2022 $100c @ $43.50

Tried to buy another Jan 2024 $1200c @ $19, but missed it. Will just hold the rest as dry powder for calls if we go lower and to help widen my 2/4 BPS if I need to roll them to 2/11.

Wonderful day, I'll take a $1099 close tomorrow. :)
Hmmmm I'm further waiting things out at this point. Nothing to do with Tesla's actual business but I feel anyone playing anything shorter term than Q2 in terms of Calls is going to be pretty disappointed by how frustrating the stock is about to be for the 2 months.

That earnings call pretty much gave bears/shorts/MM's quite a bit of ammo to throw around (in an out of context way to be clear) for the rest of Q1. They're going to use many quotes from Elon along with these bullet points narratives:

- Delays (even though we all know it's much better for margins/finances to wait)
- No 25k car (even though all Elon said was it's not being worked on right now/yet)
- Margin's leveling off already (completely ignoring the one-time tax hit)
- Fear mongering that Austin/Berlin are going to cause gross margin/profits to crash (even though Zach clearly reiterated that operating margin will continue to expand in Q1/Q2)
- Energy shrinking and negative margin again (even though they give no valuation to Energy anyways)

Given the macro environment + Tesla's competitors having probably another 2-3 months of giving baseless hype before they actually start getting called out on their own delays/vaporware, I think we're in for another repeat of the first half of 2021.

I'll be quite curious to see what happens here because you have Wall St trying to break TSLA in a long term downtrend verses Tesla's fundamentals rapidly going higher. We're at a mid 70's Forward P/E as of the current share price. I think Q1 deliveries will be 50k higher than Q4's + that one time tax hit of 340 will be gone + all Elon compensation awards are done and won't hit earnings in Q1.............so something is going to have to give.

Because just at the current share price, the Forward P/E will probably drop to around 50 after Q1 earnings. And if that happens.......omg will that be the mother of all times to load up on LEAPS. Tesla at a Forward P/E of 50 moving into Q2, Q3, and Q4 earnings.....you might see the stock forced higher 25% after each consecutive quarter.

Last edited:
Way to much volume. Whoever wants us closing below 900 tomorrow is about to get steamrolled.

Ironically, riding the Lower-BB instead:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-01-27.11-40.png

I think you are very wrong about Optimus. When robot was introduced it was ‘something that makes sense for us to do down the road’.

In a very short period of time, Optimus leap-frogged multiple new vehicles in priority. Why?

There have been hints along the way that Tesla is having various workforce issues; GigaNevada, several ‘recruitment’ events and comments - including a ‘hey, come work for us if -‘ comment made by Elon in this ER call and the last one, talk of opening schools and investment in colleges/universities in areas around their factories etc…

There are several references in the world of the pandemic causing a vast wave of people to unexpectedly leave the workforce.

The world has yet another ‘people’ problem. Optimus solves some of that for Tesla’s incredible growth aspirations.

i pretty much agree with all of this. I see the potential for it to be a real world-scale game changer. I mean, there's a reason Elon keeps talking about the labor market in the terms he does when discussing the bot.
That said - context. This was an earnings call. What did we do in Q4/2021, and maybe some color on the product roadmap. I don't think they provided that for Optimus, so i'd rather have gotten that conversation in a different context. My eye-roll comment was more for how it was mentioned and when, vs not believing it's a real, valuable element for them.

One other possible temper tantrum by the market is over remarks by Elon about challenges with making Cybertruck affordable with all the new technology. They could interpret this as a risk to the CT program and that it may not ever ship, or that CT will be too late given Rivian and others. Personally, I don't agree, but the market is even dumber than me.
They think because GM and Ford have announced pickups that if Tesla doesnt get CT into the market soon they will lose all the sales to GM, Ford and to a lessor extent Rivian. They just dont get that GM and Ford arent going to ramp up EVs until they dont sacrifice profits doing so. Even Ford bragging about 150K F150L in 2024 is really a yawner. I still expect that CT will sell more then that in 2024.

Second, anyone noticed the huge premarket ticker entry of almost 700k shares? That's 6.5 0.65 Billion $
I'm annoyed when the volume chart is messed up like that. But someone was on a huge fishing trip in the
darkpools.

Any Insights?

View attachment 760889

That volume spike always happends at 08:00 a.m. as Retail shareholders are allowed onto the paddock by their brokers. So all the orders that were pre-entered at the broker are released into the Order book and execute in a big gush. It happens most days, just especially noticable today due to the Earnings news after the Market closed.

Hmmmm I'm further waiting things out at this point. Nothing to do with Tesla's actual business but I feel anyone playing anything shorter term than Q2 in terms of Calls is going to be pretty disappointed by how frustrating the stock is about to be for the 2 months.

That earnings call pretty much gave bears/shorts/MM's quite a bit of ammo to throw around (in an out of context way to be clear) for the rest of Q1. They're going to use many quotes from Elon along with these bullet points narratives:

- Delays (even though we all know it's much better for margins/finances to wait)
- No 25k car (even though all Elon said was it's not being worked on right now/yet)
- Fear mongering that Austin/Berlin are going to cause gross margin/profits to crash (even though Zach clearly reiterated that operating margin will continue to expand in Q1/Q2)
- Energy shrinking and negative margin again (even though they give no valuation to Energy anyways)

Given the macro environment + Tesla's competitors having probably another 2-3 months of giving baseless hype before they actually start getting called out on their own delays/vaporware, I think we're in for another repeat of the first half of 2021.

I'll be quite curious to see what happens here because you have Wall St trying break TSLA in a long term downtrend verses Tesla's fundamentals rapidly going higher. We're at a mid 70's Forward P/E as of the current share price. I think Q1 deliveries will be 50k higher than Q4's + that one time tax hit of 340 will be gone + all Elon compensation awards are done and won't hit earnings in Q1.............so something is going to have to give.

Because just at the current share price, the Forward P/E will probably drop to around 50 after Q1 earnings. And if that happens.......omg will that be the mother of all times to load up on LEAPS. Tesla at a Forward P/E of 50 moving into Q2, Q3, and Q4 earnings.....you might see the stock forced higher 25% after each consecutive quarter.
Too pessimistic, the stock price can reverse quickly with an Elon tweet.

The news that was different was about the challenges in making it affordable. It's not like it is done and just waiting for the green light. There's still significant engineering needed that some could view as a risk to the product.

I agree that market wasn't expecting 20m/yr. I used that as short hand for "very high volume".
Which you would think the analysts would feel better about. Tesla used to push products out the door selling at a loss for awhile. With CT they are going to start producing when in short order the CT sells at a profit. So yeah go ahead build out the factory lines for CT in Austin in 2022 while doing the engineering and planning and prototyping so that when CT starts production it ramps very fast and sells at a profit very fast.

I think Elon should be banned from ER's in future. He doesn't have an appreciation for the nuance in the delivery of the message required for the audience. Zach does. There is too much at stake considering the $1TN valuation and all that...

He needs to be given other platforms where he can do roadmaps etc. The audience at these (Battery, AI, etc. days, or even short 1h presentations) will lap it up and more importantly will understand. And in between doing those he should do what Elon does: create the most amazing products to solve the biggest challenges of the world today.

Just don't talk about that on an ER in a macro-bloodbath period. Or any other period.

Analysts, investment bankers, pensions funds, etc. need data presented without fluff. Elon on the call is/was a disaster. Considering his hatred for short sellers, he really needs to see that his waxing lyrical over futurology ('cause that's what it is to 95% of listeners) feeds the short's narrative and a -8% reaction in TSLA the immediate next day is the result.

And before some of you scream: but HODL, there are a tremendous amount of retail investors that are HODL'ing and doing options for income that are massively affected by this.
LOL. Ban Elon. So, how much are you under? You thought it would be easy and now blame Elon.

We exits here because of Elon.

You ain't like it, take your money and options elsewhere. Ban Elon. LOL.

I hope they build it soon and have one do the roadmap at the earnings call as well, just make sure it has the sales programming not the engineering one. Best use for one right off the bat:)

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I don't think that math has anything to do with it, even though I agree with it.

Elon has made mistakes in the past in pre-announcing vehicles too far ahead of time and naming price points too early in the cycle. With each of those, its hurt the company in the long run. I read this as shifting to a more Apple-like approach to new products: Announce it with a price at a point when you can say "And we start deliveries in 3 weeks!", rather than letting people constantly criticize every inevitable delay and change in market pricing along the way.

He didn't say "we're not making a smaller car". He said "we're not working on a $25k car". And really -- before he ramps up this product that hasn't been revealed, priced or put into production yet, there's three more vehicles already in the pipeline that we're waiting for.

(note that I said it was a mistake to pre-announce... but it may not have been at that stage of the company. When you're courting investors, doing the hype-cycle thing helps. But he doesn't need someone else's money any more. No reason to create the negative side of the hype cycle)
Respectfully, I disagree.

Here's the portion of the call (word for word from the transcript)...

...If there is no $25,000 vehicle being worked on, is it really realistic to think that you can sell more than 3 million vehicles with two very high-volume cars and Cybertruck in 2024, or how do we think about that or what else is missing in that equation?

Elon Musk

Yes. I mean, it's apparent from the questions that the gravity of Full Self-Driving is not fully appreciated. If an asset has 5 times more utilization than the -- it's like dividing the cost of that asset by 5....

He literally answers the question about not working on the $25K EV with FSD and how people don't get the math...

- Fear mongering that Austin/Berlin are going to cause profits to crash (even though Zach clearly reiterated that operating margin will continue to expand in Q1/Q2)

I'll be quite curious to see what happens here because you have Wall St trying break TSLA in a long term downtrend verses Tesla's fundamentals rapidly going higher. We're at a mid 70's Forward P/E as of the current share price. I think Q1 deliveries will be 50k higher than Q4's + that one time tax hit of 340 will be gone + all Elon compensation awards are done and won't hit earnings in Q1.............so something is going to have to give.

I still have plenty of rolled BPS I'm "stuck with", but so happy with how levering up has gone that I couldn't care less about February and March. If I need to widen and roll through then, I will. This report essentially locks in 2022 earnings beyond what @The Accountant has been projecting, and I can set myself up for the next 24 months accordingly.

Investors here should be doing backflips of joy that we're just printing the most popular car in the world with massive margins, but for some reason they ain't. Uncertainty annoys me, and it deeply annoys banks. We've never had less uncertainty than today, and IMO banks will respond.

You've been talking about this idea of SP needing to ratchet up 25% after each quarterly earnings report, and I think it's a solid "never happen". Banks simply won't do it, there's way way way too much incentive for some of them to get out in front. So I think you're nearly 100% right on that. With that in mind, we'll have an ATH "soon". Is soon next week or is it October? No idea, but I'm levered with LEAPs to the point that it doesn't matter.

The things I've been learning here across the years have finally sunk in. With so much earnings certainty, I'll just try to keep things as optimized and safe as I can.

Just a thought about the $25k car.

The current cost of producing a Model 3 or Model Y is $36,000. What if the cost savings of the 4680s, battery pack, front casting, etc, bring the cost down to $30k. You can sell an SUV for $40k all day long (WITHOUT federal incentive), and still keep $10k profits. This really reduces the need for the cheaper car to keep growing.

I also think the Osbourne effect is in full swing here. They can't say they're going to reduce the price of the car if they need more demand (even though we know that is what will happen).

TLDR - Maybe the cheaper car is already here. It's called the Model 3 and Model Y, once the front and rear casting, 4680s, integrated battery pack, etc. is implemented.

Not sure why Elon even mentioned the bot. Why bring it up unless you have material news?

They think because GM and Ford have announced pickups that if Tesla doesnt get CT into the market soon they will lose all the sales to GM, Ford and to a lessor extent Rivian. They just dont get that GM and Ford arent going to ramp up EVs until they dont sacrifice profits doing so. Even Ford bragging about 150K F150L in 2024 is really a yawner. I still expect that CT will sell more then that in 2024.
Yup. And it's one of the dumbest arguments out there. See also Leaf, Bolt, I3 etc. preventing Model 3 from having market share. After all, the 20-50k lightnings and 20 Rivians produced this year will exhaust all buyers.

Well... if they don't need more factories, I wonder how Berlin responds? Could be a strategy to get it open at least. Maybe board it up some to send the message loud and clear. (OK, no don't do that, I'm a shareholder.) But that could be a new posture following the China growth story, then say they don't need more factories this year. Now watch Berlin open... :rolleyes:

When Elon spoke in the EC and others were silent, long pauses, I got the sense he was instructing/managing the board as well. He certainly put a firecracker under the FSD team.o_O Maybe some folks don't see this as leadership, but he's a new breed with a new style, total package.

On investment, I am so used to seeing my portfolio bounce all over the place that I'm numb to today's action, and it doesn't matter long-term anyway. I literally get the eyerolls from my wife now "Honey it's up 100K", next day "Honey, it's down 125K." Whatever!

I did get a warm and fuzzy about FSD yesterday, (even though our Model Y attempted to run a red left turn arrow, same day). Forget about the trees, the forest is lush. Go FSD Team, you can do this!

TLDR - Maybe the cheaper car is already here. It's called the Model 3 and Model Y, once the front and rear casting, 4680s, integrated battery pack, etc. is implemented.

I think this was said on the previous ER. Tesla is making the Model 3/Y more compelling at the same price point as inflation/average vehicle prices drift upwards.