Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case anyone wants to know what it's like to have a deranged mentality, I looked at this video and started thinking:

I'm 6ft 200lbs and fast. I could climb the Fremont fences, sprint over to the Cybertruck, jump in the driver's seat and takeoff. Nobody could stop me.

There was no planning for how I was going to get out of the plant and what I would actually do with the truck, but this was a serious thought.
remote shutdown would end that party.

Reactions: Drumheller
That's actually a very smart move by Tesla. Anything coming out of Shanghai would be going to markets where FSD is not going to be offered for years. They can always retrofit them down the road. There's zero point in holding up production for redundant piece that's exclusively for FSD

Also I now have an option E to Tesla to use cash for - Suing CNBC for defamation and bias.

I really hope these drone pilots don’t overstay their welcome. It didn’t appear that those employees were amused by the proximity of that drone.

It would be a real shame if Tesla put a stop to these flyovers because of a few overzealous pilots.

I have been to the factory on multiple occasions in a professional capacity and I can verify that they take their privacy quite seriously.

Haven't seen @jhm around in a while and need some statistical support! I know he ran the numbers on when we'd see EV adoption actually have a meaningful impact on crude oil demand. Are we there yet?

I'm seeing these EV share of passenger vehicle stats that are blowing my mind.

2.5% in 2019
4.1% in 2020
8.57% in 2021 !

Surely this is already putting a tiny cap on demand rebound from the pandemic lows? I know these are just new cars and not the whole fleet, but at this rate 2022 is what.....15%? Lordy!

I really hope these drone pilots don’t overstay their welcome. It didn’t appear that those employees were amused by the proximity of that drone.

It would be a real shame if Tesla put a stop to these flyovers because of a few overzealous pilots.

I have been to the factory on multiple occasions in a professional capacity and I can verify that they take their privacy quite seriously.
The female employee at first I thought was calling security, but probably just want to take a picture. She waved at the drone at the end.

Haven't seen @jhm around in a while and need some statistical support! I know he ran the numbers on when we'd see EV adoption actually have a meaningful impact on crude oil demand. Are we there yet?

I'm seeing these EV share of passenger vehicle stats that are blowing my mind.

2.5% in 2019
4.1% in 2020
8.57% in 2021 !

Surely this is already putting a tiny cap on demand rebound from the pandemic lows? I know these are just new cars and not the whole fleet, but at this rate 2022 is what.....15%? Lordy!

I’ve been interested in this question too. Norway is way ahead of everyone in EV adoption - and gasoline consumption is falling nicely 😀

Below I’ve plotted Norway gasoline consumption over the past decade. The data are from a government website.

F7E517BB-E809-4413-8E4A-18BC850F5655.jpeg

As EV adoption skyrockets, it won’t be long before more and more countries start to pass peak gasoline demand, even if their auto fleets are growing.

Yay ✌️

We also go down literally every week so you've proved nothing!
Every week? How did we get from $17 to $4,548?!?!??!

Seriously tho.....these FUD pieces do nothing anymore. This is the 85th or so grand conspiracy by Elon to apparently murder customers. The market is now immune to this nonsense.

I’ve been interested in this question too. Norway is way ahead of everyone in EV adoption - and gasoline consumption is falling nicely 😀

Below I’ve plotted Norway gasoline consumption over the past decade.
Wow. I would not have expected a halving of gasoline demand, even in Norway.

Is there an estimate of what fleet percentage remains ICE in Norway?

I haven’t seen that specifically, but there are about 3 million passenger cars in Norway and 167,000 EVs were sold there in 2021 - over 90% market share 🤯 That’s a pretty quick replacement rate.

I'm pretty sure if this were "Google, GOOG & the Investment World" people would also be questioning why the stock is down after record earnings.

I just think there are not many buyers in this market in general right now. The last few days felt like it was mostly day traders and algos buying and dumping at close.

So what are investors waiting for? A clear picture on the Fed rate hike? The end of the supply and logistics crisis? Peak inflation?

This quote from an article today is also somewhat bearish. With less liquidity we could continue to see volatility and downward pressure on the stock price.

“NEW YORK, Feb 7 (Reuters) - Liquidity in U.S. stocks has fallen to levels last seen during the COVID-19 selloff two years ago, adding to volatility in an already-nervous market.

Market liquidity, or how easily investors can buy or sell a security without affecting its price, has been on a downward spiral for years. In recent weeks, however, traders have been whipsawed by massive moves.”

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I'm pretty sure if this were "Google, GOOG & the Investment World" people would also be questioning why the stock is down after record earnings.

I just think there are not many buyers in this market in general right now. The last few days felt like it was mostly day traders and algos buying and dumping at close.

So what are investors waiting for? A clear picture on the Fed rate hike? The end of the supply and logistics crisis? Peak inflation?

This quote from an article today is also somewhat bearish. With less liquidity we could continue to see volatility and downward pressure on the stock price.

“NEW YORK, Feb 7 (Reuters) - Liquidity in U.S. stocks has fallen to levels last seen during the COVID-19 selloff two years ago, adding to volatility in an already-nervous market.

Market liquidity, or how easily investors can buy or sell a security without affecting its price, has been on a downward spiral for years. In recent weeks, however, traders have been whipsawed by massive moves.”
I sure do love it when people post comparisons to other stocks that don't actually prove their point.

Google is down just 7% from its ATH. Tesla is down 26%. Both companies had blowout earnings. There have been plenty of buyers for certain stocks. Less liquidity means there's less investors willing to sell just as much as it means there's no buyers. It doesn't necessarily really mean anything except that fewer shares traded can have a more outsized impact on the stock's actions.

Last edited:

People are waiting for big guns to buy in. The fear of dropping further keeps retail at bay. Retail only chase and fomoing into positions. They are probably too busy buying puts right now because it's "free money" until their faces get ripped off.

In general I agree with what this Twitter poster is saying. Based on that guidance of CAPEX through 2024, there's no possible way Tesla can spend enough of the free cash flow coming in on factories or new projects such as Optimus over the next 2-3 years. So then reality of the situation is:

A) Tesla sits on the cash
B) Stock buybacks
C) Dividends
D) Acquisitions
E) Bitcoin or Dogecoin
My vote would be B and D. D in very selective cases where Tesla sees they can achieve more vertical integration by buying a supplier

Edit: Doh and beaten. Serves me right for typing too much
FTFY (and only partially /s)

Last edited:
From what I can tell, whatever is happening isn't unique to TSLA. These are charts from today for various companies. They look pretty much the same to me. TSLA is the highlighted one. Others, in no particular order are NASDAQ, GOOG, MSFT, AAPL

View attachment 766112
Chunky,
The whole idea of manipulations is to make some money and not get caught at it. To do so the chart of your target shouldn't look too suspiciously different than the charts of similar stocks. At a brief glance, those charts you compared show much in common. Let's do some math, though.

My contention is that during the recent macro weakness, TSLA has traded lower in the afternoon vs. morning, compared to other similar stocks. Let's check that theory out on today's final 45 minutes of trading. AAPL lost 0.75%, GOOGL lost 1%, MSFT lost 1.3% and TSLA lost 1.85% during the time from 3:15pm until 4:00pm. GOOGL had a bigger total loss than TSLA today. Do these numbers prove anything? Of course not, they're just numbers from one day of trading. If, on the other hand, you compare TSLA's afternoon dips to the afternoon dips of other similar stocks day after day, you see a trend. TSLA typically gets a harder pushdown into close than most other similar stocks. TSLA does worse in the afternoon day after day than it did in morning trading compared to other stocks. My Theory is that the manipulations are profitable for a pushdown into close because if you short heavily toward the beginning of the pushdown you not only accelerate the pushdown but can typically cover your short in the closing cross at 4pm at a nice profit. Volume is lower in the afternoon and therefore manipulations are easier. I think a hedge fund or multiple hedge funds are doing this. Another advantage of a pushdown into close is that you reduce the chances of a bounce before you can cover (if you are the shorting hedge fund).

If you have a theory why TSLA typically suffers worse pushdowns into close than similar stocks and why TSLA is typically weaker in afternoons compared to similar stocks, please share it. We're all here to learn. Thx. The pattern repeats much too often for this to just be chance, so there is a reason for it.

That's probably the wrong metric too. What you really want to capture is miles driven (estimating fleet utilization rate by energy type). Even then some EVs are more efficient than others. Makes less difference in Norway who's grid is almost 100% renewables. In a country like the USA, you could use the 'carbon intensity' of electricity but there's a lot of wide error bars by the time you get to a single number.

Still, the ONLY thing that matters is grams of CO2 emitted, which tracks most closely with bbls of oil sold, tons of coal, and cubic meters of natural gas. If that number continues to go up, we're no where near the tipping point.