Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question--and I don't know the official answer--is whether the vehicle first has to be shipped out of state or not. I've heard various opinions on this. Bear in mind that Texas is the state where battery storage is classified as energy production, so a service provider, such as OnCor, cannot use battery storage to even out the electron flow.
It is a statute. Look it up. I think someone has posted a link to it in the past. There have been repeated requests for anyone to provide the legal basis of this claim of a vehicle having to leave the state before being delivered.

The wording of the statute I read seemed reasonably clear about what is and is not allowed. I don't recall any mention of any restriction being put upon the manufacturer in any regard other than advertising, sales, pricing, etc. by a manufacturer cannot happen at a store owned by the manufacturer.

It was written to prevent OEMs from establishing sales outlets of their own that would compete directly with dealerships.

Every instance of people saying that a vehicle manufactured in Texas, sold in California (server location?), must physically leave the state and return to be delivered to a Texas owner either have made a half-hearted attempt at understanding the law (based upon hearsay), and/or are examples of people spreading baseless FUD.

Nearly all statutes are created to regulate some aspect of commerce. Many statutes are fleshed out by special interests looking to protect their golden goose. It would be unlikely that a statute regulating energy would have any bearing upon the special interest group who came up with the statute regulating automobile sales. In other words, the example offered is a non sequitor.

Found this Wiki Reference
Begin Wiki copy (my bold, underline, and italics for emphasis)

Texas​

Texas law states "Except as provided by this section, a manufacturer or distributor may not directly or indirectly:(1) own an interest in a franchised or nonfranchised dealer or dealership;(2) operate or control a franchised or nonfranchised dealer or dealership; or(3) act in the capacity of a franchised or nonfranchised dealer. (Tex. Occ. Code Ann. § 2301.476) and "A motor vehicle shall not be advertised for sale in any manner that creates the impression that it is being offered for sale by the manufacturer or distributor of the vehicle. An advertisement shall not contain terms such as “factory sale,” “fleet prices,” “wholesale prices,” “factory approved,” “factory sponsored,” “manufacturer sale,” use a manufacturer's name or abbreviation in any manner calculated or likely to create an impression that the vehicle is being offered for sale by the manufacturer or distributor, or use any other similar terms which indicate sales other than retail sales from the dealer" (43 Tex. Admin. Code § 215.261).

These laws make it illegal to buy a car from Tesla in person, at a Tesla Gallery. Thus, all Texas orders are taken via the internet or over the phone. Texas residents can still easily buy a car from Tesla, but the purchase is handled as an out-of-state transaction and must be completed before the vehicle ships to Texas. Tesla recently added the ability to include tax, title, license, and registration in the sale price of the car so the purchaser doesn't have to pay that separately once they receive the vehicle. In 2015, Tesla lobbied the Texas Legislature to modify the law[59] to allow Tesla to sell directly to consumers, and specifically allow Tesla employees to discuss "financing, leasing, or purchasing options" at the firm's existing galleries in Austin, Dallas, and Houston.[60] Texas considered legislation in 2015 to allow Tesla to operate in the state[61] but legislation was not passed.[62]

As of 2016, most of the GOP delegates support direct sales while Governor Abbott prefers the current system. According to Texans for Public Justice, Tesla spent $1.3m on lobbyists while dealerships spent $1m.[63]Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

End Wiki Copy

In the above "ships to Texas" is mentioned in the description. This seems to be there only because the cars weren't being built in Texas, not because of the statute itself. Now the description could be changed to read "before the vehicle ships" and be as valid, based upon reading the stipulations restricting direct sales by manufacturers in (43 Tex. Admin. Code § 215.261) which makes no specific mention of the physical location of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Nope!

In short, since the gas tax $ specifically is earmarked for roads and such, cutting it cuts the budget for that.

Whereas a new "send everyone a prepaid debit card" program can get its funding from anywhere.

Plus, hilariously, the second one also gives $ to EV owners.
Yeah, and wouldn't the former put the onus on the ~150,000 gas station in the US to immediately change their billing processes / systems. As an IT consultant to business, you can't count the number of headaches and mistakes that would result in. Not saying it's a bad idea, just that's it's not "easy".

Reactions: Ogre
The question--and I don't know the official answer--is whether the vehicle first has to be shipped out of state or not. I've heard various opinions on this. Bear in mind that Texas is the state where battery storage is classified as energy production, so a service provider, such as OnCor, cannot use battery storage to even out the electron flow.

Look up the statute as I have done previously (more than once). The wording seems pretty clear that the vehicle must be located out of state at the time of sale. Yet still people push back on this.

I hope Tesla just starts delivering all GigaTexas cars to people in other states and lets the Texans who can't get a Tesla in a timely fashion lobby politicians for relief of this absurd law!

Look up the statute as I have done previously (more than once). The wording seems pretty clear that the vehicle must be located out of state at the time of sale. Yet still people push back on this.

I hope Tesla just starts delivering all GigaTexas cars to people in other states and lets the Texans who can't get a Tesla in a timely fashion lobby politicians for relief of this absurd law!

I still think this is Tesla's ace-in-the-hole for Texas sales: (Feb 27, 2021)

It would be better if Texas just changed the law (2 years to next legis. session?). Or at least provide an Executive Order allowing direct sales.

NO DEALERS sell Tesla; nobody is being disadvantaged vs their supplier with these direct sales.

Tesla can always take the State to Court w. the Interstate Commerce clause, but I'd rather see Elon run for Gov'n of TX and issue the Order. No doubt he'd win. ;)

Which is weird, because your thought was previously debunked back in May 2021 the last time someone suggested it- here's the post explaining what an FTZ actually does and does not do and why you're wrong-

Tesla can always take the State to Court w. the Interstate Commerce clause

...what? How would the ICC be relevant, at all, to a company based in Texas being restricted by Texas law in how they sell to Texans?

The ICC is what gives the federal government the right to regulate commerce crossing state lines.

It has nothing, at all, to do with this situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy O
I checked in and poor John Engle of Seeking Alpha lameness still bashing TSLA 3 years later. How can anyone so embarrasingly wrong on their TSLA short bet still be at it? Obnoxious

I wrote for Seeking Alpha very briefly a few years ago.

These are freelance writers. SA pays them only based on traffic they drive to the site and doesn't care about quality of analysis at all. You can make a couple bucks writing complete garbage and if you have an axe to grind, they give you pretty much unlimited runway.

Seeking Alpha's owners feel that more diverse opinions are better. Or rather that's the line they push. The reality is they just don't care how bad the content they churn actually is so long as it doesn't damage the "brand" too much. Since their reputation is pretty near dumpster fire, it's pretty hard to damage the brand.

Click the Spoiler in my above post for detail on this.

The entire text of the statue and a description from Wiki is included.

There is no mention of the physical location of the vehicle in the statute. The sale of the vehicle must occur out of state if not at a licensed Texas dealership.

Manufacturers are prohibited from having a brick and mortar store conducting vehicle sales in Texas.

This is only a matter of the physical location where money changes hands, not the physical vehicle.

The vehicle can be physically in Texas and still meet the letter of the law if the sales transaction is conducted out of state.

Last edited:
Everyone probably seen this. But this about sums it up how it’s going so far in the 2020’s
F8649F4E-6F83-4F2E-91D1-4DD4A0D9E3FF.jpeg

It would be better if Texas just changed the law (2 years to next legis. session?). Or at least provide an Executive Order allowing direct sales.
Tesla has tried that. It's basically a non-starter because the Dealer Association not only provides campaign contributions, but a couple of legislators are dealers. No legislator is willing to give up the campaign contributions.

It is a statute. Look it up. I think someone has posted a link to it in the past. There have been repeated requests for anyone to provide the legal basis of this claim of a vehicle having to leave the state before being delivered.

The wording of the statute I read seemed reasonably clear about what is and is not allowed. I don't recall any mention of any restriction being put upon the manufacturer in any regard other than advertising, sales, pricing, etc. by a manufacturer cannot happen at a store owned by the manufacturer.

It was written to prevent OEMs from establishing sales outlets of their own that would compete directly with dealerships.

Every instance of people saying that a vehicle manufactured in Texas, sold in California (server location?), must physically leave the state and return to be delivered to a Texas owner either have made a half-hearted attempt at understanding the law (based upon hearsay), and/or are examples of people spreading baseless FUD.

Nearly all statutes are created to regulate some aspect of commerce. Many statutes are fleshed out by special interests looking to protect their golden goose. It would be unlikely that a statute regulating energy would have any bearing upon the special interest group who came up with the statute regulating automobile sales. In other words, the example offered is a non sequitor.

Found this Wiki Reference
Begin Wiki copy (my bold, underline, and italics for emphasis)

Texas​

Texas law states "Except as provided by this section, a manufacturer or distributor may not directly or indirectly:(1) own an interest in a franchised or nonfranchised dealer or dealership;(2) operate or control a franchised or nonfranchised dealer or dealership; or(3) act in the capacity of a franchised or nonfranchised dealer. (Tex. Occ. Code Ann. § 2301.476) and "A motor vehicle shall not be advertised for sale in any manner that creates the impression that it is being offered for sale by the manufacturer or distributor of the vehicle. An advertisement shall not contain terms such as “factory sale,” “fleet prices,” “wholesale prices,” “factory approved,” “factory sponsored,” “manufacturer sale,” use a manufacturer's name or abbreviation in any manner calculated or likely to create an impression that the vehicle is being offered for sale by the manufacturer or distributor, or use any other similar terms which indicate sales other than retail sales from the dealer" (43 Tex. Admin. Code § 215.261).

These laws make it illegal to buy a car from Tesla in person, at a Tesla Gallery. Thus, all Texas orders are taken via the internet or over the phone. Texas residents can still easily buy a car from Tesla, but the purchase is handled as an out-of-state transaction and must be completed before the vehicle ships to Texas. Tesla recently added the ability to include tax, title, license, and registration in the sale price of the car so the purchaser doesn't have to pay that separately once they receive the vehicle. In 2015, Tesla lobbied the Texas Legislature to modify the law[59] to allow Tesla to sell directly to consumers, and specifically allow Tesla employees to discuss "financing, leasing, or purchasing options" at the firm's existing galleries in Austin, Dallas, and Houston.[60] Texas considered legislation in 2015 to allow Tesla to operate in the state[61] but legislation was not passed.[62]

As of 2016, most of the GOP delegates support direct sales while Governor Abbott prefers the current system. According to Texans for Public Justice, Tesla spent $1.3m on lobbyists while dealerships spent $1m.[63]Tesla US dealership disputes - Wikipedia

End Wiki Copy

In the above "ships to Texas" is mentioned in the description. This seems to be there only because the cars weren't being built in Texas, not because of the statute itself. Now the description could be changed to read "before the vehicle ships" and be as valid, based upon reading the stipulations restricting direct sales by manufacturers in (43 Tex. Admin. Code § 215.261) which makes no specific mention of the physical location of the vehicle.
Last legislative session, proposed changes would simply have exempted EVs from this law. The amendment never progressed very far because too many idiotic things had precedent and time ran out. But they obviously felt a substantial change was necessary, rather than just a redefinition of where the sales transaction occurred.

Anyway, I suspect the issue is about to be forced.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla just needs to setup a logistics lot on some TX tribal land. That should qualify as being "out of state" enough. Added benefit of helping out Native Americans to the detriment of entrenched good old boy interests.
Though a good idea, done in New Mexico already, there is no need. This is only a matter of where the paperwork is processed.

The location of the physical vehicle doesn't matter. People and dealerships sell cars all the time that are not in the same state where the money changes hands. Folks seem to assume the sale and the vehicle are always together. That isn't necessarily true in every case.

Someone please show any Texas statute that supports this notion of Tesla's Austin factory having to ship a vehicle out of state before delivering to a Texas owner.

Note: News story FUD is not considered a valid legal reference. ;)

Last edited:
Though a good idea, done in New Mexico already, there is no need. This is only a matter of where the paperwork is processed.

Someone should tell Elon, as he seems to think a change in the law is needed for Tesla to not need to physically move the cars outside Texas to sell them to Texans

As is often the case though there's always someone here who thinks he knows better than Elon does.

These legal arguments are getting very abstract. Let’s say I have preorder and have submitted a deposit on a vehicle that has yet to be manufactured. Where is this vehicle “located” at the time of sale? Edit: Knightshade answered this, thanks.

+1 to delivering cars strictly outside of Texas until this is resolved. I do not believe Tesla will fool around with shipping cars out of Texas to sell them in the state. Nor should they. Tesla prioritizes efficiency, cost, and hastening the transition to renewable energy. The idea of shipping cars out of state in order to sell them is what Elon would probably call “absurd”.

The Texas legislature with have a chance next year to change the laws when “its regular sessions begin at noon on the second Tuesday in January of odd-numbered years.” The maximum duration of a regular session is 140 days.

I hope they do not miss their chance in 2023 to take action. It would be a shame to not see the first direct Cybertruck deliveries in Texas until 2025 or later.

It’s up to the Texas legislature now. I have a good feeling that they are aware of the issues. I can’t imagine that they will leave Tesla high and dry here. I don’t believe further discussion of the topic in this thread will provide any value.

Last edited:
These legal arguments are getting very abstract. Let’s say I have preorder and have submitted a deposit on a vehicle that has yet to be manufactured. Where is this vehicle “located” at the time of sale?

That's not how Teslas sales work though (they changed it in 2019, in case you're thinking you know there's a deposit because you paid one before then)

Now you pay an order fee, not a deposit (non refundable, as it's the cost of placing the order) but that isn't "buying the car" it's an admin cost for placing an order (which is why it's non-refundable)

You don't actually buy/pay for the car until you have a VIN assigned, which includes where it was built.

Tesla FAQ on ordering said:
Your final invoice will include your vehicle identification number, configuration options and all costs before and after tax

Click the Spoiler in my above post for detail on this.

The entire text of the statue and a description from Wiki is included.

There is no mention of the physical location of the vehicle in the statute. The sale of the vehicle must occur out of state if not at a licensed Texas dealership.

No, laws are more complex than that and that is not the only applicable statute so you cannot claim to know the answer that easily. Why don't you inform Elon of your discovery that they can sell the car while it is physically located in Texas?

Why do you keep claiming this? If the law allowed Tesla to sell the cars while they were physically located in Texas, don't you think Tesla would have already been taking advantage of that fact? Is your opinion based solely on that Wikipedia entry of an incomplete excerpt of the law? Laws need to be read in their entirety and it gets complicated in a hurry. That's why Tesla has lawyers to let Elon know where Tesla stands.

Be aware, I don't think this is a big deal as Texas is only a small portion of Tesla's total sales. Even Washington State has a higher per capita ownership of EV's and Tesla than Texas does. Texans might have to get in line behind everyone else unless this gets fixed with an executive order or Tesla keeps importing Fremont vehicles and/or starts re-importing cars already exported out of Texas. There are many solutions to get around this ridiculous law, but it might not be ideal from the perspective of a Texas resident wanting a Tesla quickly.

Honestly, how could this be more subjective?

View attachment 785284

I like that Doug points out various things, but he makes it look like his equation/methodology is objective.

me thinks he is paid by various interested parties for this content.
Doug has always been more than fair to Tesla with his reviews. Watch his review of the Model S Plaid. He is NOT being paid by “interested” parties...he is as fair as you could get from a YouTube. You might not like his style, but he likes Tesla.

Just for an example, that $9b could buy ~40 GWh of storage… almost 2 hours worth of consumption for the entire state. Then run them at a break even cost.

I have to imagine the quality of CA’s grid would improve drastically with such an investment.

(It’s all about the batteries.)
This is a good idea. Well, it is an amazing idea. Because the grid would get greener and the follow on savings from the reliability would add to the economy.