Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the 0.6% core increase:
Airfares increased 18.6% pushing Transportation up 3.1%, pretty much the main driver. New vehicles up 1.1%, medical and shelter up 0.5%. Everything else was under the 0.4% expectation.
View attachment 802904

Transportation is so closely tied to energy costs, a strong argument could be made that including Transportation in the Core CPI is a sub-optimal approach and it should be either tied to Energy, split into Energy and Non-Energy portions, or have it's own category.

Not an economist, however.

I honestly agree with this statement.
Mixed bag on the inflation report. I expect the top line numbers to flood the headlines while the actual details paint a different story, or at least a mixed story since thereā€™s some key items pushing the top line number higher than expectations.

TSLA in specific is getting weaker and weaker. Down 4X the macros. If there is another leg down for the macros, TSLA isnā€™t going to hold up well. Seems pretty clear whatā€™s going to happen over the next month and a half until we get Q2 P/D numbers. Gotta love how wall st can completely miss the boat and still get shares at a discount

Now down 6X the macros. Extremely weak.
Airfares increased 18.6% pushing Transportation up 3.1%, pretty much the main driver. New vehicles up 1.1%, medical and shelter up 0.5%. Everything else was under the 0.4% expectation.
View attachment 802904
and @mongo here has already called out some of those items. I expect the market to ignore this and I continue the narrative

Last edited:
View attachment 802904
Thank you, airfairs also affected by high crude oil prices.

Back in the day we used to say if you exclude
red cars , the cpi would be negative.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Mixed bag on the inflation report. I expect the top line numbers to flood the headlines while the actual details paint a different story, or at least a mixed story since thereā€™s some key items pushing the top line number higher than expectations.

TSLA in specific is getting weaker and weaker. Down 4X the macros. If there is another leg down for the macros, TSLA isnā€™t going to hold up well. Seems pretty clear whatā€™s going to happen over the next month and a half until we get Q2 P/D numbers. Gotta love how wall st can completely miss the boat and still get shares at a discount

Now down 6X the macros. Extremely weak.

and @mongo here has already called out some of those items. I expect the market to ignore this and I continue the narrative
I guess there are points where itā€™s infinite times down macros

Honestly why does anyone think inflation will abate any time soon? Still have structural issues caused by COVID. We see the freighters stuck offshore still. We have labor shortages made worse by over 1 million dead caused by COVID (Actually deaths vs expected deaths is far higher), over 1.5 million not able to work because of Long COVID and finally corporations willing to take advantage and raise prices even higher knowing that it will all be blamed on Biden.

My son in Austin got notice of his rent being increased by 27% ($650). He got the notice 5 days before they had to give 60 days notice that they werent going to stay. They were going to stay especially since he they are getting married in July and a move right before the event would be hard. Costs didnt increase by 27%.

Transportation is so closely tied to energy costs, a strong argument could be made that including Transportation in the Core CPI is a sub-optimal approach and it should be either tied to Energy, split into Energy and Non-Energy portions, or have it's own category.
sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-05-11.09-51.png

Not an economist, however.
Lol, Mr. Market thinks you are.

Cheers!

The following technical analyst agrees that tomorrow's CPI report will be a big turning point for the market. He cites many indicators suggesting the direction will be up, but of course he can't guarantee that.

If the market drops and you need cheering up, Lars describes some reasons why Tesla's factories are far ahead of competition. One rumor I hadn't heard before:

"Someone like Joe Justice even thinks Tesla's [Texas] factory could potentially become a 10-million vehicle production facility down the road when Tesla gets to utilize all the cubic volume of the factory." (15:55)​
Interesting take on the fed. Everyone I am talking to is max fear and staying cash

View attachment 802904

The first line "All items" has a story to tell. I'd say give it a month. I haven't digested the report, but this looks like Oil dripped dropped slightly in Apr. And since everything runs on Energy, I think we should see an overall improvement in CPI. Key difference now is that it's seasonally warming in EU and NA so oil demand is dropping, I would only assume. And with all the chaos in markets, I wouldn't be surprised to see a surplus of oil that's enough for the EU/world to cut off the Piddly Putin Pipeline Putin's oil for the summer months. Yup, that's my prediction, on a whim, unscientific, swag, not advising ;)

1652277001125.png

(Edit: OMG, that was poetry... sorry FIFY.)

Does anyone have updates on the status of the Lathrop Megapack factory? The building Tesla site shows progress, but I have not heard of significant shipments or new projects. This plant is slated to produce 40GW of Megapacks annually, or about 20 billion in revenue. This also has a big impact on natural gas demand, directly impacting utility scale gas demand.

Does anyone have updates on the status of the Lathrop Megapack factory? The building Tesla site shows progress, but I have not heard of significant shipments or new projects. This plant is slated to produce 40GW of Megapacks annually, or about 20 billion in revenue. This also has a big impact on natural gas demand, directly impacting utility scale gas demand.
The factory was just completed in April so Iā€™m not expecting much production until Q3 since they have to ramp the production lines there.

Though, since Megapacks are exponentially easier to produce than cars, itā€™s hard to tell what the ramp will look like

That would have actually been a good question for the earnings call last month

Last edited:
The first line "All items" has a story to tell. I'd say give it a month. I haven't digested the report, but this looks like Oil dripped slightly in Apr. And since everything runs on Energy, I think we should see an overall improvement in CPI. Key difference now is that it's seasonally warming in EU and NA so oil demand is dropping, I would only assume. And with all the chaos in markets, I wouldn't be surprised to see a surplus of oil that's enough for the EU/world to cut off the Piddly Putin Pipeline for the summer months. Yup, that's my prediction, on a whim, unscientific, swag, not advising ;)

View attachment 802913
Ah yes, the smile with tongue hanging out pattern. I lick it. šŸ˜‹
Gasoline category was up 18.3% last month, that could definitely account for ticket price increase.