Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
one angle ..
Does rate hikes solve the gas/food crisis caused by Ukraine war? ... was the question Congress asked Powell in last session.
Powell answered no.
I'm personally of the opinion that rate hikes are the wrong tool for this round inflation... too blunt of an instrument. Yeah they should be increased some to slow sectors like housing. But overall energy policy, tariffs, immigration, etc have a larger impact right now. Biden should have cut Chinese tariffs months ago...

I suspect the Fed will be looking at other data as well since CPI is lagging and very real indications that Inflation looks like it is waning. Gasprices dropping nearly 10% MoM for instance. From GasBuddy

View attachment 828056
I know how this plays out... the answer comes from the electronics industry.
This is the cooling part when everything's done reflowing. The peak is past us now.

1657720398683.png

1657720456724.png

one angle ..
Does rate hikes solve the gas/food crisis caused by Russia/Ukraine war? ... was the question Congress asked Powell in last session.
Powell answered no.

So don't cause a recession and cause even more job losses .... was kinda feedback they gave to him
inflation is a monetary phenomenon, and the money supply grew by about 41.2% between
Jan 2020 and May 2022.

From $15.401 trillion to $21.754 trillion.

Higher rates and quantitative tightening will offset that with a
lag.

Wait, what? How did we touch green there for a moment? (Actually looks like more than a moment!) (Or not.)
For ~7 weeks the overall trend has been that Tesla is stronger than the overall market. We have days of strong underperformance (like Monday), but the trend has been overall to the overperformance side. I think a case can be made it has weakened over the last couple weeks, but today looks like a day where Tesla has another strong day. Immediate large volume at 680 and 690.

Bank of Canada just did a 100bps raise... that'll raise the chatter for the Fed to do the same.

25% of Americans want an EV as their next car. Primarily due to gas prices, but also because they are cool AF with the latest tech

Was wondering why BYD was down so much, seems like there are some indications that Buffet might have sold his position (was 7.7% of BYD in Feb):
I for one would be VERY happy if Buffet has sold his stake in BYD, just so I never need to read another stupid "Buffet's EV company beats Musk" headline. 🙄

I'm personally of the opinion that rate hikes are the wrong tool for this round inflation... too blunt of an instrument. Yeah they should be increased some to slow sectors like housing. But overall energy policy, tariffs, immigration, etc have a larger impact right now. Biden should have cut Chinese tariffs months ago...
Yup

Or ...."Buffet's EV company takes over overall EV lead in sales blowing by Tesla"

I think that BYD being leader in EV headline - caused more eyes to take a look at their business and that's when folks found all the holes in the cheese ;)
it's hard to me a leader, followers can always fly under the radar ;)

+ TSLA strength? With conf call next week, looks like folks getting out of the way ??

I know that. The point is why did they become the standard? Both bulky and oversized. What did they bring to the table that made them be adopted as the standard.

It makes more sense how the EU became saddled with CCS when you realize it was developed by a consortium of auto interests who were fond of saying that consumers would not accept EV's, there was no market demand for them. They didn't want an elegant charging standard, they wanted to make sure it was even less elegant than a gas pump. The bigger, clunkier and more expensive, the better. Of course the US has the same standard. People might forget that considering that something like 80% or more of all fast charging in the US is done using what is the defacto standard that was developed by Tesla. Because CCS is not the dominant standard if it's only used by a minority of EV drivers. The fact that every manufacturer but Tesla uses it is not what determines which standard is dominant!

I believe Tesla would allow other manufacturers to use the standard without any payment. Whether a non-Tesla could charge on a Supercharger would still be up to Tesla. The fact that the plug fits would not mean they could automatically use a Supercharger, that's a completely separate issue and it's controlled by software, not hardware. In my opinion, the consortium of other manufacturers went with CCS to try to isolate Tesla and slow down EV adoption.

Did it work? You cannot stop an idea whose time has come. It's just one more example of them slitting their own throats when it comes to electrification.

*sigh*

QNX is not like "they're running blackberry in the car"

It's a unix-like real time OS used widely in a ton of current devices.
Yep, but it is not competitive with current kernels. For them to choose it over other options says a lot (mostly that they are stuck in the past and continue to make 'legacy-like' decisions)

Tesla uses forked Linux kernel(s) that are completely home-grown and maintained by Tesla (yet another example of full vertical integration) with the entire stack maintained by Tesla.

Ford ditched Microsoft for QNX in 2014 (that was a huge cluster as I was at Microsoft then and nearly immediately regretted the decision and we continued to build out the stack on-top of the QNX kernel supplying nearly all functionality, way more than this article describes) and now has ditched QNX and gone with Android: Ford's future of infotainment will run on Google's Android

"Google and Ford said this partnership will run for six years, but who knows what the future holds for the two."

(and yes, I had a hand in the Google implementation as well and I really hope Google was able to have the full root kernel be Android with all memory, compute and network control, but since I'm not there anymore, who knows...)

Very confusing price action. Good luck All!
Volume is actually the most surprising. 15 million shares in the first hour of trading.

The overall stock market action isn’t necessarily that surprising because of what some of us were chatting about earlier. June CPI is probably the most clearly seen trailing data info when we have a real time view of the main cause of inflation - energy/gas - which is down big from its highs in early June.

So unless energy reversed course and gains 20% over the rest of July, then July cpi is going to come in way lower than Junes. And considering inventory levels of oil and gas are growing quite rapidly, it’s much more likely energy/gas continue lower instead of reversing higher