Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Troy's Q2 earnings forecast. Very interesting.
The big variables for earnings to me are :

- How much of price hikes flowed into ASP in Q2
- How many Model 3's coming off lease was Tesla able to resell and for how much (this has double impact because of the warranty reserves estimates that Tesla put on the lease and then how much Tesla was able to sell the Model 3 over the set price they had for leased vehicle at handover)
- More cars starting to come off of warranty and thus we should be seeing "Services" start to trend into the positive margin consistently soon.
- How much did Tesla intentionally prioritize high trim orders, especially orders with FSD purchased

I expect GAAP to come in over $2............We'll see if I'm crazy.

Last edited:
I know Troy uses a bottoms-up analysis to get to his final numbers. I hate to get my hopes up, but with all the uncertainty and moving pieces (and resulting pessimism), I could see Tesla surprising to the upside this quarter. Especially if ASP increases kicked in harder than component and raw materials costs, I can see how he gets to a higher gross margin.

If he is right and auto margins are 32%+, Wed after hours and Thursday morning should be fun.

Why would Semi or Cybertruck slow Austin? They are non-overlapping in terms of plant floorspace and the factory was build around multiple vehicle lines.
True, but i would assume Tesla have many of the same executives and experts in the process of expanding and creating the production lines. I would believe Elon also having a part in each of the setups as he considers himself to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to manufacturing. I might be wrong though, but expansion seems to be a complicated process.

Some more info on V4 superchargers. Is it possible to determine what the max charge rate of V4 superchargers would be from this document?

Taken from:

New details:

1658264458252.png

Troy's Q2 earnings forecast. Very interesting.
This would stun the automotive world and even the most bullish on Wall Street.
Gross Margins increasing from 30% in Q1 to 31.1% in Q2 despite the ramp up of two new factories and the prolonged shutdown at Tesla's most cost efficient factory.

. . . .and you know what? . . .this is possible.

I can see from the numbers that @Troy has estimated a huge increase in Average Selling Price and it is my belief that Troy has better data on ASP than most forecasters. Not getting my hopes too high but there's a possibility for a gross margin increase.

EDIT: @Gigapress has been anticipating a huge spike in ASP . . .perhaps this is the quarter !!

1658264071061.png

Last edited:
Gross Margins increasing from 30% in Q1 to 31.1% in Q2 despite the ramp up of two new factories and the prolonged shutdown at Tesla's most cost efficient factory.

I can see from the numbers that Troy is estimated a huge increase in Average Selling Price and it is my belief that Troy has the best data on ASP than most forecasters. Not getting my hopes too high but there's a possibility for a gross margin increase.

EDIT: @Gigapress has been anticipating a huge spike in ASP . . .perhaps this is the quarter !!

View attachment 830314
Remember Tesla's investor relations head was making tweets about Tesla's margin just a month ago. I believe it was you that pointed it out.

No one should bank on gross margins expanding but it was a peculiarly tweet to make

Last edited:
True, but i would assume Tesla have many of the same executives and experts in the process of expanding and creating the production lines. I would believe Elon also having a part in each of the setups as he considers himself to be the most knowledgeable person when it comes to manufacturing. I might be wrong though, but expansion seems to be a complicated process.
Not sure how involved Elon would be in line commissioning, but even if so, the existing lines would already be ramped and healthy, so why would they they be impacted?

New vehicles are entirely separate lines, not expansion of existing ones. (At these volumes)

I can see from the numbers that @Troy has estimated a huge increase in Average Selling Price and it is my belief that Troy has better data on ASP than most forecasters. Not getting my hopes too high but there's a possibility for a gross margin increase.

View attachment 830314
You are NOT helping me to tamp down my expectations. It's gonna be a long 23 hours......

New details:

View attachment 830316

Looking at the illustration I can’t help but think this design kills a couple birds here. If this is mounted in the center of the space, the longer cable could conceivably reach any of the 4 corners of a vehicle. It’s long enough to swing to either side of the car and you could pull in forwards or reverse if it’s on the front or rear of the car.

It’s only cars like the Porsche with their stupid side mounted charge port which will be a problem. It might be possible if they pull in just right though.

You all should subscribe to Netflix if you aren't already because their performance this quarter is going to help us a ton tomorrow. Plus, Stranger Things is awesome.

After P&D I moved back to nearly 100% TSLA (barring my SpaceX investment and real estate etc.) Maybe tomorrow disappoints but I'm positive Q3 won't.

Last edited:

View attachment 830314
I don't think the report will be that rosy for this quarter, since it takes alot of effort and capital to get a factory going. But the ramp of the factory and ongoing improved throughput will be an important marker.

Now updated for Dave Lee and Troy Teslike:

View attachment 830311

I wonder if Rob Maurer has setteled his forecast yet. If you aren't aware he puts it up on Shareloft (his new site) before putting it up on youtube.

Probably worth changing his tag from (Youtube) to (Shareloft + Youtube). I'd be afraid using a slash would make someone think it's a URL.

Yesterday, the Barrett Riley crash jury trial reached a verdict. If I understand correctly, the total damages were $10.5 million and Tesla was 1% responsible, meaning that Tesla would be on the hook $105,000.

This is messed up. Which is it? 105k or 10.5M???