Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine when the factories are ramped :).
When Austin and Berlin current phases are ramped, new production capacity will be ramping (either there or at new factories).

As long as ramps take a year, and Tesla is growing at 50% / year, then Tesla will have 50% of their total production capacity ramping.

What’s amazing (actually unprecedented) is the fact they can generate industry leading net margins while in this inefficient state.

Odd, there is no rush of rampant speculation that Elon might be... buying 🤔

(what would be the opposite of a Debbie Downer?)

Elon's tweet as allegory? 🤔

"Bring Me a Shrubbery!"​

The homeowner used a moss killer and tried to grow grass on a shady slope.

In the 1975 movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, King Arthur and his band are blocked by the dreaded Knight Who Says “Ni!” in an enchanted forest.

Bring me a shrubbery,” demands the giant Knight, adding, “One that looks nice...And not too expensive.”

King Arthur delivers a "shrubbery" after a short (hilarious) quest, but the Knight demands another. He specifies it must be “only slightly higher, so we get the two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.”

King Arthur eventually gallops away unharmed...

In allegory, hedgies are the Knights who say "Ni", shrubberies are TSLA shares, Elon is King Arthur, and Gary Black is the horse he rode in on.

:cool:

A nice list of things to look forward to:
View attachment 867436
I feel like we see these lists every quarter and all the listed “bullish” items have sweet fudge all impact from a share price support perspective.

Remember how Q3 was going to be awesome because of record production & deliveries, AI day, stock split, AGM, etc etc…

Wishing you and your wife a speedy recovery
Forward Observing

@OnBass I really appreciate your comment. And the thumbs up by everyone else.

The WiFi on our boat went down yesterday morning right after I read your note; followed by our FaceTime with our daughter and GrandPup (son). Instead of a V-8 the cruise company should have/should invest in Starlink. Our daughter would have killed us had we gone on the original cruise in March 2020. Trust me when I say, she almost came thru the iPhone; so having the WiFi down for more than twenty-four hours was tough. Gotta love the girl, our daughter ~ she had to put up with me all these years.

Hey, I think counting Tesla’s helped not only pass the time; but boosted the stock today! Gotta love that action.

Cheers

I was tinkering around with Tesla's SSL certificates, trying to confirm something about FSD, and I found something interesting worth sharing.

It looks like Tesla has been registering certificates for subdomains that reference their Gigafactories this year.

They've got "ca.tesla.com" (Fremont), "cn.tesla.com" (Shanghai), "de.tesla.com" (Berlin), "nv.tesla.com" (Sparks), "ny.tesla.com" (Buffalo), and "tx.tesla.com" (Austin).

And then yesterday, they registered "gf.tesla.com." Possibly one overarching subdomain where "gf" stands for "Gigafactory" in general. I can't think of any states, provinces, or countries that would make sense for it, unless we're all going to be blindsided by Giga French Guiana.

Screenshot_20221025-202926-532.png

Either way, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this to see if any new subdomains get registered in that group...

Yep, good call on inventory and sales channels.

Back in the hey days of pre-internet stock bubbles, I worked for a large tech company which sold hardware through value added resellers (VARs) and distributors. Our revenue recognition policy allowed us to claim revenue when we shipped product to the VARs and distis. If a quarter looked like it was coming in a bit light, we would work with the sales channels to take more inventory.

It worked short term, but was a disaster long term. The sales channel quickly learned to expect this influx of inventory at the end of the quarter, delayed orders and then were able to negotiate favorable terms (lower prices, stock rotation privileges, sell through bonuses, other incentives) to take on end of quarter inventory. So every quarter, we would stuff the channel at less and less favorable terms. We were just hoping sales would reverse and pick up, thereby making the sales channel need us more. In the end, it all came crashing down. Ended up taking a huge write-off, changed revenue recognition policies, and you can imagine the reaction from Wall Street. Blood bath; makes TSLA's 50% drop feel like a cool summer shower.

Since then, I've specifically never invested in a company that recognizes revenue when selling into a sales channel. Too easy for numbers to be engineered.

Not that I'm saying that's what GM is doing. Of course, I would never accuse a stand-up company like GM and a stand-up CEO like Mary Barra of such a thing. (Not sure which emoji works best here :cool:)
IIRC, Lee Iacocca wrote about this type of practice being rampant at Chrysler in the late 1970s.

Does anyone know how to track sales of used Model 3's from Tesla? Looks like they must be doing great, using one data point only, sales for zip cod 10024.

Last week there were about 180 (60 x 3 from scrolling the page) vehicles listed.

TSLA.NY.Used.M3221017.jpg

Today, 10/24 a week later there are only 2 (when I refresh the page)

TSLA.NY.Used.M3221024.jpg

Granted, they could have been moved around to other locations. So does anyone knows how to track these sales globally?

"1 Million produced by 2025" until Mary retires. Then its 400K. :p
I was born and raised in Detroit. I had multiple family members who worked at one of the "Big Three". We had family discounts for GM, Ford, and Chrysler.
Back in the 80's it was a mortal sin to drive any foreign cars anywhere near the city.
There was a time when driving in Michigan you could literally drive for an hour and not see any cars but one of the OEM'S. If you dared to park your car in any areas that wasn't highly visible you were guaranteed a good keying to your paint.
Man oh man times have changed.

Mary is leading in one way. To get more people to drive the most American built car ever in the USA 🇺🇸. One hint, it isn't manufactured by the "Big Three"...

Last edited:
I looked over their slide deck and something jumped out at me. Their deliveries are down BUT their sales revenue is up? Then I noticed the dealer inventory gaining 110,000 vehicles and it made sense.

In other words, GM shifted production to the dealers and counted them as "sold" but all those cars are sitting on dealer lots waiting to sell to actual consumers.
Not quite as impressive a quarter for GM when you dig into the meat of the numbers. That coupled with the delayed forecast on EV's and it really gets foreboding. :confused:

Tesla's Q3 report is super positive by comparison. :cool:
Well...dealer lots are not jammed with vehicles so I don't know. I mean, I like the analysis and that's just what GM would do but today..not sure dealers are really carrying a bunch. Certainly not a lot of trucks or SUVs out there.

Reactions: Mengy and Thekiwi
I was tinkering around with Tesla's SSL certificates, trying to confirm something about FSD, and I found something interesting worth sharing.

It looks like Tesla has been registering certificates for subdomains that reference their Gigafactories this year.

They've got "ca.tesla.com" (Fremont), "cn.tesla.com" (Shanghai), "de.tesla.com" (Berlin), "nv.tesla.com" (Sparks), "ny.tesla.com" (Buffalo), and "tx.tesla.com" (Austin).

And then yesterday, they registered "gf.tesla.com." Possibly one overarching subdomain where "gf" stands for "Gigafactory" in general. I can't think of any states, provinces, or countries that would make sense for it, unless we're all going to be blindsided by Giga French Guiana.

View attachment 867596

Either way, I'm going to be keeping an eye on this to see if any new subdomains get registered in that group...
Interesting! Odd too since .ca is the domain for Canada, as in our federal government website being www.canada.ca.

Also - not that I'm biased hehe - but Elon courting Mexico investment could also be leverage to get a land deal within Canada (or vise versa).