Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's an thread on that in the Y forum. Stupid nutty ppl...

Bizarrely, this happened to me today, at least the initial part. Under the control of FSD Beta (10.69.2.3), my car came to a stop on railroad tracks! I was incredulous. Certainly never seen that before. It happened at a red traffic light behind traffic. Why the car continued forward onto the tracks when there was stopped traffic just ahead I have no idea.

Since these are tracks that are rarely used (maybe once a day), I just looked wildly around for the 30 seconds or so I was there, leaving FSD in control. I could have backed up as there was nobody behind me, but I wanted to see what it would do. It just serenely continued on when traffic in front of it cleared.

Wow! Just wow!

So it's not impossible that FSB Beta put this poor fool of a driver there. Me, I was ready to escape if there were any sign the crossing arm was in motion.

Bizarrely, this happened to me today, at least the initial part. Under the control of FSD Beta (10.69.2.3), my car came to a stop on railroad tracks! I was incredulous. Certainly never seen that before. It happened at a red traffic light behind traffic. Why the car continued forward onto the tracks when there was stopped traffic just ahead I have no idea.

Since these are tracks that are rarely used (maybe once a day), I just looked wildly around for the 30 seconds or so I was there, leaving FSD in control. I could have backed up as there was nobody behind me, but I wanted to see what it would do. It just serenely continued on when traffic in front of it cleared.

Wow! Just wow!

So it's not impossible that FSB Beta put this poor fool of a driver there. Me, I was ready to escape if there were any sign the crossing arm was in motion.
Were there crossing arms there? Were there any warnings that a train was approaching? Was this even a track still used by railroads?

Sorry for the questions, but just wondering if FSD had any reason not to stop, especially if these tracks aren't used anymore. Have you seen trains on them previously?

Is my calendar broken?

Is it really April 1st?
No April Fools joke.

They had a small chance to invest/partially own Tesla, and they blew it, big time--see Elon's "going private at $420" Twitter saga that is still ongoing.

Even they see the writing on the wall about climate change and are trying to diversify their hopelessly focused economy in light of the pending collapse of fossil fuels. (See: Saudi Aramco IPO, where idiots purchase expensive assets that are soon to become much cheaper:)

What other choice do they have? The kingdom survives only because it can distribute a LOT of money to an ever growing army of thousands of "high-maintenance" princes and princesses--absent the cash flow, the whole "government" and country collapse. They need to be creative, and FAST, or bad things will happen in much of the Middle East.

Sorry if I paint with a very broad brush, but having spent too much time there, well, some of them might be nuts, but many of them aren't stupid. It's all about preparing for an inevitable future where oil is a stranded asset, as it must be if we're to have a livable planet.

Doesn't the Saudi Investment Fund own most of Lucid Motors already? They're going all in, as they must.

Looks like very little front crash protection. You'd get a very front row seat to any "Ooopsie" made by the vehicle. I also wouldn't want any other vehicle to hit me in that thing from the rear or sides!

No, this is brilliant marketing! They have already lined up the next generation of ride-share customers. /s

Waymo-Price.autocar.trainer.jpg

Service to be called "Waymo lolz". :p

My buddy was complaining that if Elon is such a free speech advocate then why does Tesla operate a factory in China.

I said that Tesla’s mission is a sustainable future. Plus he can’t do anything about free speech in China.

I think is argument seems pretty sick. I’m actually disgusted by it but I don’t know what. You all have any insight?
Elon is thinking on a global scale. It doesn't help the mission if only one or two countries are helping the mission. China was available (unlike India, which is not). I'd say he does what he can in a practical manner. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good.

Ron Baron on CNBC talking alot about TESLA and the market bottom.

He is fully invested.

Has invested 4B in Tesla. Thinking 7x to come. Sees 4T believable.

Tesla 40% of Baron Partners fund.

Elon confirmed🙂

Discussing StarLink and politics

Sees Elon as humanitarian

Realigning Twitter for productivity. Baron intends to learn a lot about Twitter.

Sees SW as key to moderation.

Last edited:
In January the German federal subsidy for BEV will be reduced from 6,000 Euro to 4,500 Euro or 3,000 Euro, depending on the purchase price of the car.

As Tesla cannot deliver all orders by end of 2022, they sent a mail to the customers. They will compensate for the difference if the car cannot be delivered in 2022.

1667557989768.png

I wonder if they will prioritize (prioritise) deliveries in Germany as this can be construed as a 3,000 Euro discount and less revenue for Tesla.

In January the German federal subsidy for BEV will be reduced from 6,000 Euro to 4,500 Euro or 3,000 Euro, depending on the purchase price of the car.

As Tesla cannot deliver all orders by end of 2022, they sent a mail to the customers. They will compensate for the difference if the car cannot be delivered in 2022.

View attachment 870964

I wonder if they will prioritize (prioritise) deliveries in Germany as this can be construed as a 3,000 Euro discount and less revenue for Tesla.
As the base prices of the Model 3 and Model Y are higher than 40K€, all 3 and Y only qualify for the higher bracket, so let's focus on this.

2022:
- 5000€ from Govt (post purchase)
- 2500€ from Tesla (already factored in the displayed price)

2023:
- 3000€ from Govt (post purchase)
- 1500€ from Tesla

Now with this new eMail, Tesla states that they honor their 2500€ part, if you order in 2022, don't change any option post ordering and take delivery as fast as possible.
So Tesla gives you a 1000€ boon. While you miss out on 2000€ from the Govt.

View attachment 870964

I would, further the mission, embed the brand more deeply in the culture, etc. They did that with other countries when subsidies were ending, maybe helps pick up slack (or perceived slack) of production from Giga Shanghai.

In Germany EV incentives will be lowered for cars registered beginning Jan 1 2023, likely by 2000 EUR. Tesla now promises to make up for that by lowering price for all cars still ordered in 2022, independently of when they are delivered, but only if no changes are made and car is paid and taken over immediately when it becomes available to the customer:

I think this is a smart move to take the pressure off staff to deliver before end of year and the uncertainty for customers whether their car will arrive in time. Similar to flattening the quarterly wave.

EDIT: @Johann Koeber beat me..

Last edited:
As the base prices of the Model 3 and Model Y are higher than 40K€, all 3 and Y only qualify for the higher bracket, so let's focus on this.

2022:

2023:
- 1500€ from Tesla

Now with this new eMail, Tesla states that they honor their 2500€ part, if you order in 2022, don't change any option post ordering and take delivery as fast as possible.

The teslamag article I posted has additional internal information:

Some of the recipients of the email to customers on Friday were confused as to whether Tesla actually agreed to place all orders from 2022, regardless of the delivery date, as if the full German environmental bonus were still being paid. The internal information is clearer in this regard: For all contracts from 2022, the manufacturer's share at the old level will be taken into account, it says on the one hand. And in addition, Tesla will cover the environmental bonus difference that will arise from the delivery in 2023.

So using your numbers it would be a 3000 EUR boon.

View attachment 870964

You can be certain Tesla will prioritise deliveries in Germany. They did this in the past in The Netherlands with spectacular results in Q4 with incentives going down the next year. Just look at this graph: Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 14 countries, 90+% of BEV market

Sorry, but as a Dane I know it just reflects extra taxes, which are applied on EVs in Denmark from January 2023. Not any more money for TSLA.

2022:

2023:
- 1500€ from Tesla

Good to know. Since demand will be high in Q4 2022 in Germany and Denmark, we can expect that Tesla does not need to lower prizes or pull major demand levers in Q4 2022 for Europe.

It will also be easy to sell the expected Model Y with LFP batteries at lower pricepoint which will go into volume production in Q1 2023 in Berlin. In Q1 Berlin will start to produce Model Y LR and P in the more expensive color Quicksilver and in Q2 in Midnight Cherry Red. This means that Shanghai can reduce its production of Model Y LR and P to the colors white, black and blue for three quarters, which simplifies production and logistics.