Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny. I'll take the bait on #3 since I'm just catching up! On the AMZN chart, no sense in arguing it, but I really wish the posters of that chart would acknowledge that they've cherry-picked the time period and the comparative companies. (Of course, I've cherry-picked too, but that's my point!)

Here are 2 other charts. One from April 18 through this morning. And trailing 2 years. Now try and make the same arguments as before....

View attachment 885773
One more for fun... October 1 through today. I'm not arguing that the market reaction is justified, but it's really hard to argue that the market has not reacted negatively to Elon's new job...

TSLA_YahooFinanceChart (Oct 1).png

So, I had an interesting call from a successful small business owner. We hired his firm to do some work for us earlier this year and of course, engaged in discussion around Tesla. TL;DR, today he asked me if it was a good time to buy TSLA:). With appropriate disclaimer (Not investment advice), I gave him a current tutorial on where this company is right now - accelerating on all electric motors (I had to correct myself when I thought “firing on all 4 cylinders). He asked about Elon being a risk - and I said he has installed very strong managers, Zach, Drew etc. I gave him the link to this forum/thread and advised him to read up. My bet is he will buy in.

A single data point, but there are people paying attention.

I continue to DCA.

It has been a tough several months for all of us. I'm down 8 figures from the peak. The only consolation has been money I set aside in a CRT (by selling TSLA shares) which has provided me with stable income in retirement. I guess what I have learned is that my portfolio going down millions hasn't killed me. I don't know if or when TSLA will reach 20 million cars, solve FSD, and be worth $3000 per share. But my calculation is that if there is something that is hugely successful in my life (not including my family), it will be Tesla. So there is no way I want to miss out on that, even if there is a risk of failure. So the money I have left in Tesla I'm going to try not to think about and lets see what happens. People should realize that any one thing could bring us back over 200. A tweet from Elon that he has found a CEO for twitter. Or twitter is profitable. Or there is a TSLA stock buyback. Or the IRA has increased demand. Or margins go up despite price decreases due to increased efficiency at Berlin or Austin. Just one substantive piece of good news...

So, I had an interesting call from a successful small business owner. We hired his firm to do some work for us earlier this year and of course, engaged in discussion around Tesla. TL;DR, today he asked me if it was a good time to buy TSLA:). With appropriate disclaimer (Not investment advice), I gave him a current tutorial on where this company is right now - accelerating on all electric motors (I had to correct myself when I thought “firing on all 4 cylinders). He asked about Elon being a risk - and I said he has installed very strong managers, Zach, Drew etc. I gave him the link to this forum/thread and advised him to read up. My bet is he will buy in.

A single data point, but there are people paying attention.

I continue to DCA.
Yea, it's a no brainer that this is a great entry point.

Let's look at a numerical example:

Assume Tesla is 10% of an index.

Now, Tesla falls 50% and all other components of the index do not move.
Index decreases to: 90*1+10*0,5=95
Tesla share of index is now: 5/95=5,26%

Let's say Tesla was worth 200 $ and the index 2000 $. (Tesla 10% weight)
The index owned 1 Tesla share for 200 $ and 1800 $ in other shares.
After the price decrease, the index owns 1 Tesla share for 100 $ and 1800 $ in other shares. The index value is 1900 $ now. (Tesla 5,26% weight)

Hence, there is no need to rebalance based on the price decrease as long as the index owned the appropriate amount of Tesla shares in the first place.

As mentioned in an earlier post, Elon's sales do increase the free float, which ultimately results in index funds buying more Tesla shares (However, I am not sure about the timing)

Great post.

I'd add that any doubters can check the numbers themselves with SPY (SPY is a very transparent view into ETF holdings). Tesla has indeed already declined as a percentage of the ETF to reflect its decline in market cap..

As of yesterday, it was about 1.24% of the index (SPY: SPDR® S&P 500® ETF Trust). It has fallen quite a bit and today sits at 10th in the S&P 500.

On September 30, it was 2.34% of the index (doc-viewer).

That computes with the relative market decline. TSLA has underperformed SPY during that period by 4600 bps. Its weight should have declined accordingly.

And if you really want to confirm, just follow up on Tuesday when the ETFs report Monday holdings. As of yesterday, SPY held 30,246,804 shares of TSLA. There will be a bit of noise to subscriptions/redemptions of SPY, but you should be able to see whether SPY was a seller or a buyer today.

It's pretty pointless to argue about Elon's antics. Either he is hurting the brand/SP or not.

If you think he isn't, then you just need to buy the dip. Easy.

If you think he is, then it's just a matter of deciding if TSLA is still a good investment today or not. Venting might be a little cathartic, but it doesn't do much to inform your investment decision. I wish I had taken his hard shift into politics and the bird more seriously but crying over spilled milk is a waste.

My current thesis is that Elon is losing Tesla customers, but Tesla will still grow about as much as previously thought. EVs are clearly the future and the other brands can't or won't make enough. I'm my head I'm just adding a margin reduction of 5% to account for this until I get real data. Sure many people might be mad, but not enough people are so political that they would pay 10k more for a rival car with the same specs. A couple grand more? Maybe. If Elon does accelerate his war on every sector of US society then my thesis may change. Hopefully being threatened with sanctions by the EU and some other recent clap backs will get him to back off.
I'm not even making my LEAP bets based on the consumer side of Tesla's business. I think there's plenty of tailwind factors that will allow Tesla to lower ASP enough to absorb all of 2023 production while maintaining margins. That alone makes me feel that in 2 years, Tesla will be valued at least in the 900 to 1 billion range.

But I'm betting more on the commercial side of Tesla's business. Ya know, the side of the business that is not based on the whims of consumers demand and product will be in demand whether there's a recession or not. Still no one is talking about this -

Not only will Megapack margins skyrocket higher due to operational leverage and usage of the equipment but thanks to the IRA, Megapack margins will go into hyperdrive due to the credits Tesla will receive directly. If Tesla is already hitting that daily production rate out of the Lathrop factory, we will start seeing anywhere from 3-4 billion in Energy revenue starting in Q1. Probably won't show up nearly as much in Q4 because it probably take an entire quarter for production to reach it's destinate and be installed (thus recognizing the revenue).

Combine that with at some point in the next 1-2 quarter, I feel FSD monthly subscription rates will take a major step up and Semi ramp hitting 50k annual production rate by 2024, and...yeah, I think 500-600 is possible by beginning of 2025.

I could be crying about the share price today but I'm placing my long terms bet and will live with the results.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what's worse... Never knowing whether Elon will sell millions of shares on the open market, or knowing that we're destined to rehash the rebalancing question every. single. time.

Rob explains it like we're 5 in this video. I don't know why Alexandra is getting this wrong after years in the industry, but it seems she is. Stock price increases/decreases alone do not drive any purchases/sales on the rebalance date.