Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why I'm afraid of Tesla opening up their SCs to other mfgs. It seems other mfgs purposely kneecap the EV experience because they have ulterior motives.

Just imagine all of these slow-charging / non-user-friendly non-Tesla EVs blocking our SCs. God forbid people bring their plug-in hybrids to SCs ("my dealership told me I could charge at Tesla Superchargers!")

I don't think you need to fear the Supercharger Network opening up to non-Tesla. Tesla has more than enough investment capital to accelerate the buildout of the network commensurate with the new charging volume and duration of charging of many other brands of EV's. The higher price charged to non-Tesla (or the longer duration, lower power charge times) will pay for the accelerated expansion. This would actually benefit Tesla travelers by accelerating new locations to choose from.

I just hope if and when this happens that Tesla owners will be able to have friendly dialogue with non-Tesla owners during charge stops without copping an attitude or looking down on people who drive other brands of EV's. Yes, they made what most of us would consider a poor decision, no, they are not total idiots, more likely just misinformed and ignorant. Treat them as your EV brothers and sisters! It will be the perfect opportunity to help Tesla grow market share down the road.

I just watched the worst EV "story" on Nightly News. When even a left-leaning news organization makes EVs look at bad as possible, there must be serious money coming in from Big Oil and company. Basically it was all about how owning a Bolt EV anywhere other than California is a nightmare because of the lack of functioning chargers. No mention of Tesla, or Tesla's charging network, or how easy it is to travel in a Tesla. If I knew nothing about EVs, there is no way in hell I would buy one after watching that story. Shameful.
I watched that too and was yelling at the TV. “Watch, they won’t even mention Tesla once, I bet.”

Par for the course. If anything I learned not to get a GM EV.

Hybrids won't be blocking superchargers because they only support AC charging. No Fast charger Tesla or otherwise work with the plug in hybrids.
IMG_4387.jpg

Heh Heh. Evil Fiat owners already doing this in Dundee Scotland. She is called Rosa by the way !

What are your next buy orders set at everyone? Betting the house mortgage at $140?
I still have a few hedges on via index puts and some 3x inverse funds. I've been selling those off and buying TSLA shares with every steep (seemingly irrational) drop we get. I'm not sure that I'll find the bottom, but I'm gonna give it the old college try.

Absolutely not meritorious, if only for the egregious mis-claim. Australian Geoff Mack wrote and recorded it in 1959; Hank Snow's US/Can version came out in 1962. Cash didn't record it until 1996 (I think). The all-Alaska versions (I know of two) are close to top notch....but both of them omit Paxson. :mad: Of course, Tesla shares that dishonor.
Moreover, this has already been used by Telstra (an Australian telecoms company, at which our own Robyn Denholm had a short stint as COO). The similarity of names any employees is too coincidental.

When it comes to the charging network, EVs other than Tesla are in a world of hurt. For example, there are about a half dozen EA chargers along with superchargers, in Goleta CA. On any given day, at least 2 or 3 of the EA chargers are broken. The other EA charger in Santa Barbara had a several car line for charging on a random weekend. I'm not sure why anyone would buy an EV other than Tesla. The Tesla supercharging network alone is worth its weight in gold.
Given that the hardest thing with EV chargers is the permit process and power connection, as that's already done, how about they just take away all these crappo EA chargers and put SuC's there instead - everyone can use them, no problem, and they're reliable...

If you turn on CNBC, which I do not recommend by the way—unless Eric is being interviewed of course—you’ll probably happen to hear one of many sell-side analysts talking about some of the core “threats” to Tesla’s business.​
It’s funny. I was watching the movie Galaxy Quest the other day with my son—a great film—and there’s this one line that always reminds me about sell-side analysts. The character says, “We’re actors! Not astronauts...” That’s kind of how I feel about many of the supposed experts who talk about the threats to Tesla’s business... they’re not really analysts. They’re just actors who play them on TV.
The GQ quote I like is, "It doesn't take a great actor to recognize a bad one".

Wow, ok.

I guess since next year's sales growth in the USA being good or not so good all depends on the amount of Twitter political controversy, then that means none of the following factors will matter:

• The rate of production growth at Giga Texas

• Possibility of lowering prices by several thousands of dollars if needed, especially on Model Y from which almost all the growth will come, due to:
    • Model Y demand being so high right now that the minimum price in the US is still $66k, which means that if we assume conservatively a $42k average cost of goods then gross profit per Y ordered today is $24k+ (depending on the variant)
    • Subsidies of about $3k per vehicle for batteries
    • Breathtakingly low manufacturing cost at Giga Texas once in high-volume production
    • Lower finished-vehicle shipping costs due to using Tesla Semi and also not shipping every Y from the West Coast
    • Inflationary cost pressures expected to recede substantially in 2023, according to guidance from Elon and Zach on the Q3 call
    • Perpetual pace of improvement, especially on manufacturing cost reduction and simplification, that is unmatched by anyone in the industry as conclusively shown by Munro teardown demos

• Incoming $7500 tax credits for most Model Y buyers, and Model 3 too if cells for the RWD begin to be sourced from N America or if prices for the 3P or 3LR are reduced to $55k or less

• The possibility of adding Model 3 Long Range and Model Y Rear-Wheel Drive back onto the menu, or S/X with a single motor, less than 100 kWh of battery, and less propulsive power than a Lamborghini Huracan

• The possibility of charging less than 105 THOUSAND FREAKING DOLLARS MINIMUM for S&X

• Exponentially growing general demand for EVs

• Las Vegas Loop, including expansion out from Resorts World to some other locations on the Strip, giving hundreds of thousands of people positive first impressions of riding in Teslas, with drivers who are very well-practiced at answering FAQs about the cars and correcting common misconceptions

• The massive Cybertruck backlog implying almost guaranteed demand for anything Giga Texas could reasonably manage to produce between now and 2024

• The massive free marketing that the mere presence of Cybertrucks in the hands of customers will generate as the most unique, flamboyant, instantly recognizable, and badass vehicle on the roads

• Another ~300 Supercharger stations and ~3,000 Supercharger stalls being constructed in America

• The possibility of switching which paint colors are standard and which cost extra in order to appeal to customers who would prefer something other than white or silver without a $1k+ upcharge

• FSD becoming increasingly practical and comfortable to use for most American customers who do most of their driving outside of complicated urban areas

@Troy can you confirm if this is what you are saying or am I misunderstanding? Twitter controversy will be more influential in 2023 than all of this combined? Can you provide evidence for this claim that's more scientific than a few anecdotes that you and a CNET author found about people cancelling orders?

Nice analysis as usual. But I can only grin like a simpleton as who I am and say: this Trojan guy is pure FUD
You don’t want to miss out if $142.69 is the low. Just buy X amount of shares with each $2 drop, for example.

When it will be at $300, $400, $500 what exact price you paid will be a blur.

I’m adding shares most days. So exciting!
Then $420.69/3= $140.23 is tantalizingly close

@The Accountant - If Tesla energy generates $20-25B in 2023, do you have margin estimate and what might that add in EPS FY 2023
Wow - $20b to $25b would be crazy considering that Energy will do about $4b this year.
Margins are currently at 10%. The economies of scale generated by such a volume increase (especially out of one factory) would likely bring margins above auto's margin of 30%.
2023 will be impressive for Energy but I don't think it will reach $20b. Even if a factory has capacity, it takes time to hire and train staff, get logistics sorted out and get suppliers to scale with you. If they go from $4b to $20b in one year, it would be worthy of a case study in sourcing, manufacturing and logistics.

I only have $6.5b in Energy revenues in my 2023 model, I will be taking this number up. Let's see what Q4 shows us.

That would align with what we heard on the October Q3 earnings call. They told us it was essentially the first time they had plenty of cells, they were not cell constrained when it came to autos at least. This could be another very significant added tailwind to Q4 results. Unfortunately, I doubt analysts will want to model this growing revenue stream going forward because growth of energy is dependent upon cells remaining unconstrained.

As usual, keep your eyes on the batteries! People are off in the weeds worrying about not having a public relations department. That would be like me worrying about whether people would still like me if they saw my socks didn't match.
At one point, a chip shortage was holding Energy back but it looks like that has been resolved. I agree with you that wall street analysts won't bake this upside into their models. . . they lack the courage. They rather be wrong with their pack of friends than go out on a limb to be right.

Are you saying Elon sold all shares in his possession, in other words, no sales until next tranche from 2018 CEO compensation plan?

Mind reminding if some will vest end of this quarter?

This likely was discussed here before, Elon transferred 5B+ worth of shares to his foundation. If those were sold this quarter, we won’t know until next quarter. I was suspecting huge volumes in some of the days Elon didn’t sell could be by the foundation. Any thoughts? What are the odds the foundation sold and ultimately the money went to Twitter as investment or something? If it went to Twitter, I guess, we likely would’ve heard?
No sorry, I may have been unclear with my words.
Elon still has 423m shares and another 304m coming with the 2018 award options.
What I was referring to is the 2012 ceo award options.
Elon exercised them in 2021 and picked up 68.5m shares at $344 but sold half of them in 2021 and the rest I 2022.
These shares were sold at a loss since they have a cost basis of $344.
Gary is assuming all of the loss for 2022 but I estimate about half the loss was taken in 2021 and half in 2022.
So this is why Gary estimates that Elon has a tax loss in 2022 and I estimate that Elon has a $2b tax bill. (edited $2b in taxes not $2m)

Last edited: