Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably a pack of lies, as it's Reuters, but they claim Manchin is trying to delay the IRA introduction:

Didn't realise this idiot was the chair of the "Energy and Natural Resources Committee", great idea to put a coal-shill in charge of that
This article is not very clear but
Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat who chairs the chamber's energy panel, had urged Treasury to reject allowing use of the credit in consumer leasing saying they were trying to use the provision "as a way to bypass the strict sourcing requirements."

Apparently lots of the assembly restrictions are gone if the car is leased. This article is much more clear.

I read this part, what a joke... more like the coal enrichment committee char.

"Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee chair Joe Manchin"
I can’t say I’ve followed the details too closely, but IIRC v1.0 of this bill had nothing for batteries and was going to subsisted phevs with tiny batteries for the full amount. Manchin effectively single-handedly prevented that from passing.

V2.0 puts up tons of money for batteries (edit: the manufacturing of) and does lots of things that look like they will be very good for the American economy and renewable developments.

it also will effectively be a money printer for tesla.

Who knows what happened why but I’m not so quick to judge Manchin anymore. That first bill was just dumb.

OT

I wanted to thank this forum and its members for sharing your insights, models, and thoughts from which I've learned so much over the past five years.

Today I took delivery of my long-awaited Model S Plaid in the South of France and it has been an amazing day. Even though my portfolio is down from its highest high, it is still a multifold higher than if I hadn't invested in TSLA/come across this forum. I continue to believe in Elon and am looking forward to the next chapter of this amazing ride. What a time to be alive.

A special thanks to my favorite contributors Artful Dodger, Krugerrand, Papafox, Right_Said-Fred, StealthP3D, The Accountant, as well as Rob Maurer/Tesla Daily Podcast, Dave Lee, James Douma, and ALL the steadfast bulls.

Interesting side note: A transporter with 8 ModelS/X arrived "out of the blue" at the Service Center this morning. I was told that two of the Model S were Dual Motors, and they didn't have the Plaid badge. If that's the case they would have arrived on the second ship, which came to Zeebrugge over Christmas. My Plaid arrived on the first ship (on Dec 5) but only found a place on a transporter a week ago. So either logistics have improved greatly over the last few days, or the two Model S were Plaids after all, only with missing badges.

S Plaid delivery.png

OT

I wanted to thank this forum and its members for sharing your insights, models, and thoughts from which I've learned so much over the past five years.

Today I took delivery of my long-awaited Model S Plaid in the South of France and it has been an amazing day. Even though my portfolio is down from its highest high, it is still a multifold higher than if I hadn't invested in TSLA/come across this forum. I continue to believe in Elon and am looking forward to the next chapter of this amazing ride. What a time to be alive.

A special thanks to my favorite contributors Artful Dodger, Krugerrand, Papafox, Right_Said-Fred, StealthP3D, The Accountant, as well as Rob Maurer/Tesla Daily Podcast, Dave Lee, James Douma, and ALL the steadfast bulls.

Interesting side note: A transporter with 8 ModelS/X arrived "out of the blue" at the Service Center this morning. I was told that two of the Model S were Dual Motors, and they didn't have the Plaid badge. If that's the case they would have arrived on the second ship, which came to Zeebrugge over Christmas. My Plaid arrived on the first ship (on Dec 5) but only found a place on a transporter a week ago. So either logistics have improved greatly over the last few days, or the two Model S were Plaids after all, only with missing badges.

View attachment 890098

You even color coordinated! 🥂

OT

View attachment 890098
Not OT at all, congratulations and Happy new years to you and your beautiful family!
Have fun with drag strip mode!

I tend to agree and have supported Rob, on Patreon, for years, as he has been the single point of consistency throughout the Tesla roller-coaster experience.

However, there is a sense now of continued vigilance in the face of very difficult context, lack of critical details, non-native translation issues and timezone delays. It is important to realize when you don't have enough good trusted information to make a judgement/discernment.

My biggest issue currently is that it is currently unknown what exactly will be the gov discounts on hybrids and BEVs (partially) in China starting Jan 1st. To the best of my Google foo, this is wholly unknown and material to what is happening currently in China. And on top of that, what is the state of gov discounts in every other country? Even in the US, this is NOT well understood.

Do you think Tesla knows better than us? I'd bet my life savings on it.

Do I think Rob generally has a better handle on this than just about anyone else? Yeah, pretty much always.
One other factor not discussed the potential for disruption in the registration process.
Perhaps customers have purchased cars but cannot get them registered due to covid situation, either the customer is ill or the registration office is understaffed. NIO called this out recently when they guided Q4 deliveries lower.

1672336519203.png

Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat who chairs the chamber's energy panel, had urged Treasury to reject allowing use of the credit in consumer leasing saying they were trying to use the provision "as a way to bypass the strict sourcing requirements."

Apparently lots of the assembly restrictions are gone if the car is leased. This article is much more clear.

Maybe I have Joe wrong then. But why doesn't the Chairman of "Energy and Natural Resources" address oil subsidies in all of this? It would have the same effect... stick vs carrot. Pass along the savings to the working class. I question the goals of the committee.

Someone is confused, it's the Commercial Clean Vehicle Credit that bypasses the mineral requirements, not the use of a lease.
Normal consumers shouldn't have access to it.
Specifically: "(4) is of a character subject to the allowance for depreciation."

Incompetent [former] CEOs shouldn’t be given opportunities to spew more nonsense. And Elon isn’t French, is he? :)

Click at your own peril. Don’t play victim afterwards…..

Last edited:
Sadly Rob Maurer was still saying even yesterday on his Tesla Daily podcast that he can't see any way that the situation in China could be due to anything except a drop in demand. SMH.

Rob worked so hard to be "open-minded" that his brains fell out his ears. It's not a demand problem, it's noise, and that greatly amplified by the Financial Media and (sadly again), social media influencers like Rob himself.

So I don't watch his podcast Daily anymore (ironic?) and that's his loss, while I'm time ahead each time while he praddles on for 2-3 minutes on the same topic without ever reaching a conclusion.

Oh well, move along...

Rob Maurer is better than most Tesla Youtubers, as long as you keep in mind that he has a very conventional viewpoint that gives too much credence to new "information" in general, and more so if it's been published by MSM, he sees it as his job to parse all the noise. Balancing that out is his steady hand. I just think he would be more valuable if he took Elon's wisdom more to heart, you know, the concept that most things you think you know are incorrect and knowing that you don't know is valuable. What this means is it's not so important to build a model of reality by choosing what is probably true and what is probably not, it's knowing what to do based on a very imperfect understanding of all the individual pieces of information and misinformation. And he's already better than most at doing this, but no one is perfect.

Much of the material on his show is over-parsed before he comes to a conclusion that he's doubtful about it. He should skip all the parsing and just say he doesn't find it all that meaningful or credible, but who knows, and move on.

I also think he's over-worked and overwhelmed with the amount of information he's trying to make sense of on a daily basis which leads to him losing the overall perspective. He's in a position where he feels like he needs to babysit his viewers (because they WANT and NEED him to babysit them). That means he is focusing more on the day-to-day noise these days than the bigger picture but I do like the way he's able to discredit a large number of perspectives that simply don't make sense but that are starting to gain popular traction, mostly because they have been endlessly repeated.

There is no way to do his job without making mistakes along the way. And that's OK, that's what happens when you expose yourself to such high volumes of noise that some of your subscribers want you to address. His very job disadvantages him. That's why I purposefully skip on by a lot of negative claims and details as long as I understand they are not deal-breakers, even if they turn out to be true. I just make a mental note that's out there, while focusing on more fundamental issues and the bigger picture. And that's harder to do when many of the people who support your show are so insecure that they need to be babysat. I will guarantee that some people who want Tesla to fail have saddled up next to him and actively encourage him to go down all these rabbit holes to dilute the value of his show. He needs to sit back and take more charge of the material he thinks is worthy of time on his show. To tell the people who need babysitting that's not what his show is about.

The best thing about his show is you can be 100% certain that he's trying to give you the straightest scoop he can.

"Value -- Value means the arm’s-length price that was paid or would be paid for the property by an unrelated purchaser determined in accordance with the principles of section 482 and regulations thereunder
This is one of the core components of investment banking. More hours have probably been spent justifying valuation than have been spent in almost any other task

Incompetent [former] CEOs shouldn’t be given opportunities to spew more nonsense. And Elon isn’t French, is he? :)

Dude's just mad he didnt get the $7500 EV rebate for the 100k Model 3's Hertz bought

where can i send you an invoice for wasting my 5 minutes that I am never getting back?

Exactly.........and now after 125,000,000 shares have been traded in only the first half of the day following a nice gap up that was just a little bigger than WS wanted, the huge number of shares traded keeps rolling but the share price delta is dwindling to +/- $1.50 on either side of $120. That's right - trading at a pace of 125,000,000 shares in 4 hours and then TSLA gently turns back to oscillate around $120. Could that possibly be the same $120 that @SOULPEDL posted earlier?
Thinking the red below is them exiting puts. 🤷‍♂️

1672338157266.png
Recall that just this morning - when TSLA was $10+ under the $120 'money zone' the news was positive. Could the 'news' that 'Covid's influence on the economy in China was over' have been a little too much in one direction? Amazing how quickly the real 'Clowns in Clown Cars' began working to help facilitate the $120 landing in the other direction with the different flavor of 'news'?
Probably a pack of lies, as it's Reuters, but they claim Manchin is trying to delay the IRA introduction:

Is this another lie?

125,000,000 shares in half a day and almost trading flat now - Nothing to see here!

Two days ago there were rumors of Cathy Wood getting margin called to explain the sharp after-hours sell-off below $110. If momentum peters-out just shy of $120 this afternoon will we see articles regarding Cathy's genius to load up ARK at these levels?

I sincerely believe that the average TMC TSLA Long is a very frustrating demographic for 'the news media'. We have been taking everything with a grain of salt since John Broder's now-infamous February 8th, 2013 NYT Tesla Range Anxiety article. In hindsight that article was written just before TSLA went on its very first face-ripping upwards trajectory. Did Wall Street not have enough shares at that time too? Stock investors used to dream of having 'tomorrow's paper today'. Now we have to wait to interpret today's Tesla news through the lens of tomorrow's TSLA stock price action.

Last edited: