Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. I have towed everything with everything. And an F150 gasser towing an 8000 to 9000 pound travel trailer we’ll easily lose half its range. Not 20 or 30 percent. Go on any F150 gasser forum and ask what they lose for range and you’ll get answers of about 50 percent.

Diesels are a different story.
The big difference between those and EV of course is refueling. Doesn't really matter if your range is cut in half when fueling stations are everywhere and it only takes 5 minutes. EV's aren't there yet.

The world has already decided the DC charging standard, and it’s not NACS. Even the name is very limited, as the world does not revolve around US.
No the world had not already decided the DC charging standard, the main ones currently in use:
  • CHAdeMO: Worldwide (But on it's way out.)
  • CCS Type 1: North America and Japan
  • GB/T: China
  • CCS Type 2: Pretty much the rest of the world.
  • MCS: Worldwide high-power DC charging standard for large vehicles like Semis, Ships, Planes, etc. (Not in final revision yet.)
Even the name is very limited, as the world does not revolve around US.
But the NACS name doesn't even mention the US... It is intended to replace CCS1, which is mostly used in North America. So the NACS name is designed to say exactly what it is supposed to.

To be honest, if North America had chosen CCS2 instead of CCS1 things would probably be different. It still isn't a great design but it is better than CCS1.

Meh. I still don’t like it.

Maybe charge double rates for out of network (Not a Tesla) cars and then offer a scaling discount based on usage tiers for folks on a subscription plan.
master of coin probably has some ideas already. Just what magnitude of increased utilization would there be? Doesn't ford only make like 10% of Teslas fleet size in NA?

Reactions: Drax7
My 10 year old son is one of the kids who helps with the unload line at school. There’s three kids every day that help and every day the principal has to designate one of the kids who gets to open Tesla doors, otherwise they fight over who gets to open those? You can’t make this stuff up!

I know few people more obsessed with Tesla than my son. He’s definitely fighting FUD on the frontlines. He loves to tell me when he’s able to fact check someone about Tesla.

The future car buyers of America know what’s up, and IMO this is not a trivial detail.
Yes the young kids pretty much without exception still love Tesla.
Besides the fact that they tend to be more interested in new technologies, it's also because they're a little bit too young to be affected by the politics of the whole stupid thing..

also because they're a little bit too young to be affected by the politics of the whole stupid thing..
By the politics of the whole stupid thing, I believe you’re not referring to this century long dependency on oil, killing our planet without regard, and fighting wars over those resources. Because my 10 year old is very much aware of the climate crisis and related issues (whether or not he knows they’re political issues per se; I know not).

Without Tesla we’d all still be stuck waiting for the OEM’s to make compelling EV’s or we’d be buying Chinese cars.

Have you seen some of the artist’s impressions of a possible Semi-based RV? One such:

52632518408_0343cf6412_z.jpg

Before you laugh, I just went to the Prevost website and they have a 2011 model listed at $925,000 (!). Though absurdly rich for our tastes - and finances - there clearly is a market for some such things out there. It seems inevitable that if and when the Semi is available to the market at large, someone will step up and go down this road.
I hope this is still relevant enough as a potential future product or application of the Semi, but our friend Dave Lee posted some AI examples. Most are "shut up and take my money". I'd love a fully EV RV. Probably just have Tesla sell the Semi and have a third party deal with the BS but still. Most RVs now take gas/diesel, propane, and still wind up plugging into the grid.

The world has already decided the DC charging standard, and it’s not NACS. Even the name is very limited, as the world does not revolve around US. It’s exactly like continuing to promote CDMA after the world decided on GSM. Interested, haha. When Telsa jacks up our supercharger rates, Tesla owners have no other options for fast DC charging, jut another Elon checkmate move, suck it rest of the world

CCS2 of course as used in EU... that does mean all the CCS1 connectors need to be changed in North America though. Oh, perhaps using the smaller NACS might be better in that case....

I think the world will settle on 3 - Chinese, CCS2 for Europe & TBC for North America. Rest of World picks whichever they fancy depending on historical ties/geography & where they import used cars from. You might find that some Chinese OEMs add ports for CCS1 & NAC to the same car for North American-sold cars. Once you're past the the ports, wiring can be the same.

Reactions: petit_bateau
So you missed the part about Tesla opening the (NACS) standard, and making it available for all to use? You know, non-monopolistically? :p

Opening the North American Charging Standard | Tesla.com
But who will challenge Tesla? Let's say Electrify America adds NACS plugs to their network. Will EA suddenly become as reliable and ubiquitous as Tesla?

It's not a perfect analogy between Standard Oil and Tesla supercharging. But I think it's close.

The YouGov figure is not the net favourability rating. What they call “Popularity rating” is simply the percentage of people in the survey who liked him. It does not subtract the amount of people who disliked him. Subtracting dislikes from likes is the standard definition for a “net favourability” rating.

The net favourability rating for Elon on YouGov is actually a similar net favourability rating that Morning Consult has for Tesla: 13% . (Yougov data has Elon “liked by” 45% & “disliked by” 32% = 13% net favourable). yougov doesnt seem to show a history of Elon “disliked by” readings unfortunately, so can’t compare Net favourability in their survey with previous months.

The YouGov net favourability rating for Tesla is currently 26% (”liked by” 48% vs “disliked by” 22%), which is feeble compared to other car brands net favorability:

Toyota: 62% (69% like vs 7% dislike)
Honda: 62% (68% like vs 6% dislike)
Ford: 51% (62% like vs 11% dislike)
Volkswagon: 48% (57% like vs 9% dislike)
GM: 48% (59% like vs 11% dislike)
Tesla:: 26% (48% like vs 22% dislike)
Honda's high net favourability rating doesn't seem to help sell their cars...

master of coin probably has some ideas already. Just what magnitude of increased utilization would there be? Doesn't ford only make like 10% of Teslas fleet size in NA?

Regarding the magnitude, consider how in order for any other EV owner to use the Tesla network, they will be putting the Tesla App on their phone. This is free advertising every time they stop to charge. This, added to the smoother experience and higher charge rate compared to the other charging choices. The Tesla logo will become ubiquitous for EVs and Charging in a way like Staples' "Easy Button" did.

Getting to hang out and compare notes with all the Tesla owners while charging widens the impact of Tesla's main "advertising" channel, word of mouth. FUD will be rectified (pun intended) at a higher rate than before as these non-Tesla EV owners leave with a shared perspective after a trouble-free charging experience. "You meet the nicest people at a Tesla charging station"

This seems like a win-win-win for Tesla and the HODLers.