Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Lastly, the app. I hear a lot of CCS apologists tout Plugshare as a superior tool for finding or navigating the public charging environment. I've used it on road trips only for level 2 but I wouldn't trust it to accurately reflect real time feedback. The check-ins are sometimes hours in the past and there are plenty of stories of CCS travelers either stuck at an offline charger that showed as working 2 hours earlier or limping to a level 2 or even level 1 just to make it to the next stop. Fingers crossed that one has an accurate functional rating.
Whereas, the Tesla app shows in real time how many functioning chargers are available. The SpC uptime is so reliable that rating them seems silly. I have over 90,000 miles of which at least 20,000 are road trips and I've never even thought about checking the status or reliability of a SpC. It's really a whole new world for existing CCS road trippers that if they are being honest will openly embrace the convenience, simplicity, reliability, locations, and seamless execution of the road trip experience.​
I agree - Plugshare would be much more useful if check-ins were automated and real-time.

• Lastly, the app. I hear a lot of CCS apologists tout Plugshare as a superior tool for finding or navigating the public charging environment. I've used it on road trips only for level 2 but I wouldn't trust it to accurately reflect real time feedback. The check-ins are sometimes hours in the past and there are plenty of stories of CCS travelers either stuck at an offline charger that showed as working 2 hours earlier or limping to a level 2 or even level 1 just to make it to the next stop. Fingers crossed that one has an accurate functional rating.
Whereas, the Tesla app shows in real time how many functioning chargers are available. The SpC uptime is so reliable that rating them seems silly. I have over 90,000 miles of which at least 20,000 are road trips and I've never even thought about checking the status or reliability of a SpC. It's really a whole new world for existing CCS road trippers that if they are being honest will openly embrace the convenience, simplicity, reliability, locations, and seamless execution of the road trip experience.
NEVI should improve this, as it requires NEVI funded stalls to have real-time individual stall usage data available to anyone via API. Of course, that won't help if the stall is down but they don't know it. But you should be able to see the last time the stall was used successfully.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skipdd
I wouldn't be shocked if Elon's next compensation package was tied to TSLA becoming the biggest company in the world.
The numbers match up pretty well if we just multiply the last market cap targets by ten. (Payouts start at 1T) Maybe a 1% earn for each 500B in added market cap over the next ten years. ID3 would be a good time to announce it. Nobody at CNBC would be laughing this time. You keep what you kill.

Bildschirm­foto 2023-02-26 um 23.14.06.png

aaaaand ... it's gone :(

I am in the camp of those expecting that Investor Day will be about Master Plan Part Troix, i.e. how to scale for a global transition to renewables. So far, I abstained from such speculations but @wdolson wrote in a post in the Russia/Ukraine thread [emphasis mine]:

My immediate reaction was like "We're a household of 3 with an electric car and we use less than 15kWh per day on average. This 50kWh number has to be the entire country's consumption divided by # of UK citicens".

Living in Germany, I was curious now how my personal use of electricity compares to the entire country's consumption divided by headcount.

Gross electricity consumption in 2020 for Germany was 559 TWh per [1]. In the same year, Germany had 83.1 million residents.
That equates to 559 billion kWh / 83.1 million / 365 = 18.45 kWh per person per day or about 6.700 kWh/year.

According to [2], private households consume about one quarter of all electricity and other sources saying that the average private use of 1300 kWh per year and person corroborates that.

Renewables contributed 246TWh or about 50.5% of electricity generation in Germany for the year 2020 (down to 47.5% in '21). Renewables need to roughly double in order to fully replace non-renewables. Btw, nuclear contributed 12.5% in '20 and 13.3% the year after.

All of the above is just the tip of the iceberg if we look at overall energy consumption. According to [3], Germany's gross overall energy consumption in 2020 was 11.504 PJ (Peta Joule). According to [4], industrial use was 3.747 PJ, out of which 12% or 448PJ were used as feedstock to chemical processes. If we put these aside to be tackled later, this leaves us with 11.056 PJ used for energetic purposes. To get the delta, we can also subtract half of the 559 TWh = 276,7 TWh renewables. We all know that 1TWh = 3.6 PJ. With that, I calculate 996 PJ of renewables in '20 and a remaining 10.060 PJ of fossil (and nuclear) sources to replace.

As we're talking about gross electricity, we can assume 100% efficiency for renewables. For fossils, efficiency varies widely. Thermal power plants can have a thermal efficiency around 40% and more if waste heat is used for heating purposes. In everyday use, cars tend to be in the low 20s if one doesn't go with official but looks at actual fuel consumption. A lot of gas is used directly for heating, be it domestic or in industrial processes. Heat pumps produce between 2 and 5 times the invested electrical energy as heat.
With considerably more research, it might be possible to calculate how much electricity would be needed to replace all fossil energy but an average factor of 33% should be at least in the right ballpark.
With that, we have to generate an additional 10060/3 = 3353PJ = 931 TWh of renewable electricity to match Germany's energy consumption in 2020.
TL;DR; Renewables covered about 21% of all energy needs in Germany in 2020 if we assume that 1 kWh of electricity can displace 3 kWh of crude fossil energy. In other words, we need about 5x of today's renewables for a full transition.

Is this achievable? I did not investigate but there's a lot of untapped potential for onshore wind, domestic and grid-scale PV and offshore wind is only a matter of funding.

How many batteries will be needed?
Tony Seba calculated 110 hours of storage for a least cost solution at 400 GW of installed renewable power [5]. We had 63MW of wind and about 50 MW of PV in 2020. If that were equally scaled by 5x, we may need less storage. Vice versa, his demand for 400 GW looks reasonable with additional storage in place as surplus capacity today gets sold or wind power is shut down.
Therefore, I won't come up with my own calculation but consider his 6.2 TWh demand for storage (in Germany) to be a good estimate. As he demonstrates, the amount of storage for a least-cost solution depends on local availability and variability of wind and solar. Therefore, it's not easy to extrapolate global demand from the case studies in his presentation.

My hope is that investor day will be used to share Tesla's plans for this decade and the 2030s with respect to installing production capacity, sourcing raw materials and how to address any other challenges that they identified.

[1] Stromverbrauch
[2] Anteil am Stromverbrauch nach Sektoren in Deutschland 2021 | Statista.
[3] Indikator: Primärenergieverbrauch
[4] Energieverbrauch in der Industrie 2020 um 1,9 % gegenüber dem Vorjahr gesunken
[5]
As it happens I sketched out some numbers for Germany a couple of months ago.

A school in Germany asked me for some help as I explain in the link which I thought might also be of interest here, so I posted a copy of it in the energy news thread as well.

Folks may find it informative. (The link below will take you straight to post #402).

Is this one based on reality, or is it more hallucinations?

Based on 'clicks' it would seem. In the 30 min since this video was posted, the owner has flagged it on Youtube so it can not be embedded (only watch on Youtube.com)

So I deleted the link. :p

BTW, I agree, this guy is no 'aerospace engineer'. He handwaves off objections about using cast aluminum vs. high-strength steel for a car's safety cage / structure, saying just that alum casting could be made thicker. What Engineer would do that?

I would expect Young's modulus talk and engineering equations, even if he just gave the answers. As it is, it doesn't even sound like he asked the questions. More likely, he's another TE-style emotional investor who is just talking his book.

Tesla hasn't even acknowledged "Project Highland" exists.

Sure they did. Tesla used the term "Project Highland" explicitly in permit applications for Fremont, along with dates. It was discussed here on TMC if you missed it, and at Teslarati:
Tesla submitted filings to the City of Fremont in June 2022 regarding project “Highland BL3 HOL Demo”

“Demolition of existing equipment and utilities in preparation for new Hang on Line. Demolition of existing slab-on-grade, pit excavation, and construction of new concrete pit at first floor of assembly building.”

HOL stands for “Hang On Line,” a type of GA assembly line that Tesla utilizes in the Fremont factory for the Model 3

In the case where buybacks do not cause the option grants to grow EVEN MORE than the buyback, they are anti-dilutive. Less dilutive than no buyback.

In the case where they increase the option grants the exact same amount as they buy back, then they are neutral.

Only in the weird case where the company decides to issue more than they buy back over and above the grants they would have issued anyway, would buybacks be net dilutive. Can’t conceive of this happening.
I think the companies would argue they're anti-dilutive because they'd be issuing options grants regardless, but it can feel like something of a shell game when buybacks are happening and grants are being awarded. You can look at the number of outstanding shares over time for companies doing buybacks, adjust for splits, and determine whether investors are actually getting more equity in a company over time or whether buybacks are being offset by further options grants.

Mostly I'm just suggesting this stuff isn't often straightforward and I don't know how many companies out there are actually ending up with net less outstanding shares over time and more equity in investor's hands

Reactions: Drax7 and kbM3
Legacy paint shops are useless to Tesla. Tesla uses highly automated and efficient paint shops that are integrated to the factory operating systems. These advanced paint shops are very, very difficult to integrate in an established factory, hence Tesla uses them in new factories but apparently not in Fremont. All this has been posted here multiple times.

This, as an example is one of many things that is not suitable for retrofit. Perhaps it would be an advantage to have structural permissions in place. However, the difficulties are clear when tesla has not chosen disused former plants for anything at all since Fremont. The sole exceptions have been warehouses, simple assembly plants like Lathrop in 2014:
Even there when they decided on Lathrop for utility-level storage they built a new building:
Tesla Megafactory: New Megapack Factory in Lathrop ...YouTube · Tesla North 28 secondsOct 25, 2022

The net is that Tesla can and does convert existing car dealerships to Tesla sales and service centers and can use existing warehouses for warehouse operations, they do not use existing factories for factory operations because Tesla manufacturing bears little comparison with legacy manufacturing. The analogy is something like using a buggy factory to build cars. i.e. some did that, but they all failed. Those which did that initially, such as the Studebaker brothers, almost immediately built new factories.

OEM's such as VW are converting plants. That approach will fail precisely because they'll build ICE cars that happen to be electric rather than pure BEV. They're reusing traditional suppliers and designing just as they did. That model will continue to be inefficient compared to purpose-built factories and designs. That is just like using established techniques to produce high altitude turbojet airplanes. Ask de Havilland how the Comet worked out!

Such things as pouch cells and Tier One supplier dependency are contributing factors to decisions to use existing factories and manufacturing processes. That approach fails! almost every time. 'almost' because that can work, but has lower efficiency, e.g. Fremont.
Aren’t GigaFremont & GigaShanghai using paint shops that are the same boring technology that are used in “Legacy” paint shops? It’s only Austin & Berlin that have the new fancy paintshops?

You will have to explain to me why “legacy” ICE paint shops in europe wouldn’t be adequate for EVs. How is painting an EV body/parts any different from painting ICE body/parts? Seems like there is zero difference.

==========

Here is a claim that between 70-80% of equipment in an ICE manufacturing line can be reused for an EV line: Repurposing Vehicle Manufacturing Equipment in the Transition to Electrification - HSSMI

No. legacy paints colors!
Aren’t GigaFremont & GigaShanghai using paint shops that are the same boring technology that are used in “Legacy” paint shops? It’s only Austin & Berlin that have the new fancy paintshops?

You will have to explain to me why “legacy” ICE paint shops in europe wouldn’t be adequate for EVs. How is painting an EV body/parts any different from painting ICE body/parts? Seems like there is zero difference.

==========

Here is a claim that between 70-80% of equipment in an ICE manufacturing line can be reused for an EV line: Repurposing Vehicle Manufacturing Equipment in the Transition to Electrification - HSSMI

Based on 'clicks' it would seem. In the 30 min since this video was posted, the owner has flagged it on Youtube so it can not be embedded (only watch on Youtube.com)

BTW, I agree, this guy is no 'aerospace engineer'. He handwaves off objections about using cast aluminum vs. high-strength steel for a car's safety cage / structure, saying just that alum casting could be made thicker. What Engineer would do that?

I would expect Young's modulus talk and engineering equations, even if he just gave the answers. As it is, it doesn't even sound like he asked the questions. More likely, he's another TE-style emotional investor who is just talking his book.
One item I find interesting is that Joe Tegtmeyer has stopped drone snooping inside the Texas casting area. I would have thought this would be one of his key areas of focus with the new 9k press being installed. Perhaps Tesla have asked him not to snoop if they are doing something new that may be commercially sensitive or gives away info ahead of investor day. Not saying CtD is accurate, but there appears to be something going on at Texas casting that Tesla doesn't want to share.

==========

Good question. There are four reasons:
1. Cost- the entire process is automated and reduces paint usage, rework, labor and is faster;
2. flexility- can change colors quickly while eliminating manual change control;
3. allows for complex colors that yield higher prices;
4. The increased quality throughout dramatically reduces delivery rework and customer complaints.
As for that claim, they do not appear to have any particular qualifications to opine. That could only happen by building a BEV on an ICE chassis. We all know how well that works.

One item I find interesting is that Joe Tegtmeyer has stopped drone snooping inside the Texas casting area. I would have thought this would be one of his key areas of focus with the new 9k press being installed. Perhaps Tesla have asked him not to snoop if they are doing something new that may be commercially sensitive or gives away info ahead of investor day. Not saying CtD is accurate, but there appears to be something going on at Texas casting that Tesla doesn't want to share.
They put up curtains in the windows.

Article on the politics in Mexico around locating the Tesla plant. Sounds like the Mexican president wants to decide where it should go and is using the water as and excuse for not approving Nuevo Leon.

A while back he caught ahold of some Cybertruck footage which was floating around after Cyber Rodeo and he didn’t realize it was 9 months old. He went long on a video talking about how Tesla “Leaked 2 new vehicles”. When I called him on the video source he told me “Elon is trying to fool us by posting new video that “Looks just like footage from Cyber Rodeo”

His Diamond turn video was well done, but pretty fanciful, I didn’t realize at the time that the dots he’s connecting are outside our current space and time.

Isn't that the area where Tesla had hung 'blinds' on the windows recently? Joe covered it in a recent video, I think.
Yes, that is right.

Where CTD is correct is that if Tesla intends to cast the roof/sides it possibly needs to be different alloy to the bottom castings.
We don't know if that alloy exists with the right strength and flow rate, but Tesla / SpaceX are the most likely companies to develop it.
The performance of individual metals doesn't really indicate how an alloy comprised of multiple metals would perform.

It is interesting at alloys can have lower melting points than pure metals:-
Aside for strength and flow rate, melting point is another consideration

However, the stacked castings outside and the covered windows isn't strong evidence for Tesla casting other parts of the car, It is still a remote possibility,

Covered windows could be explained by making castings for the Cybertruck, which for now Tesla want to remain hidden.

The wiring harness makes perfect sense to me, and I would not anticipate any issues with car regulation.

If Model 3 Highland and perhaps Model Y / Cybertruck had brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire, I don't doubt that the technology works, and at scale combined with the wiring harness, would eventually be a faster / cheaper way of building cars. My big doubt is the process of getting cars with those features approved by the regulator, I know nothing about the US process.

By hypothetically if Model 3 Highland had brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire that at least starts the process of getting regulatory approval for those technologies. Once they are approved for one model, the approval for others is easier.

So perhaps Model 3 Highland is built with brake-by-wire and steer-by-wire, but if necessary, Tesla can revert to more conventional steering and braking?

I do think CTD is wrong on some aspects, there is no Model 3 Highland line at Austin, My understanding the event has a tour of a line at Austin which has to be Model Y or Cybertruck.

Last edited: