Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, other sources say that financial reporting requirements for bonds is the opposite (bolded above), that is bonds are reported at their book value based on maturity. We discussed this here at TMC during the first Tesla Bitcoin write-down episode. Are the requirements for Banks different than other public Companies? Care to elaborate? TIA.

Thanks for that! The CAMELS acronym stands for "Capital adequacy, Asset quality, Management, Earnings, Liquidity, and Sensitivity". Source:

Cheers!
Mark to market for bank capital adequacy and Rick exposure can and sometimes does differ materially from GAAP. Specifically, measures such as probability of payment (pop), loss given default (llgd) are used in risk asset classification in bank examination but not used in that way in GAAP. Similarly liability risk has rate, liquidity and valuation components in bank assessment that have no direct counterparts in GAAP. That is why all this tends to be referred to as CAMEL ratings. These are obscure but nit secret just as bank consent decrees are not technically secret.

These are some reasons why SVB was NOT a surprise, nor was Signature. People who watch that tend to avoid discussing this unless a bank fails because poor CAMEL ratings can be and usually are repaired without failure. Failures, though, do usually happen with warning if only people were paying attention.

OMG! Just saw a Lucid commercial being played during The Oscars.
Wow. Even if Lucid had positive gross margins, I don’t think the cost of that commercial would ever pay itself back in enough sales. What is it about “cost cutting” and “positive margins” that is so hard to understand?

Ah well, it could just be that I’m not as smart as Mr. Rawlinson. I know he’s smart because he acts like he is. /s

Did you not see the table I later posted? Toyota Tundra was the one with 15% positive growth YoY. The one that stood out as not being negative growth. Seems a rather peculiar way of exemplifying "pretty much failing."
(Nissan's pickup, on the other hand...)
Last year’s Growth may be more an artifact of an all new 2022 model and low sales of the outgoing model in its last year. Look at the overall volumes. The Sales may ebb and flow but there is no doubt that after 20 years, The tundra has not moved the moved the numbers to be a legit competitor to Detroit in the full size pickup market. They are doing about 100,000 compared to Ford’s 500k

This is the best question of all. No risk officer for most of 2022, giant unhedged long treasuries, startup loans, 90+ % jumbo deposits (most from startup funding?), highest average salaries in insured banks … the list goes on..,UK & India operations mimic?
The last time I recall a thing like this was BCCI.
Actually a UK & Pakistan bank. I know it had some branches in India too, just like many other countries.

It will be interesting to see what happens with interest rates. I'd be very surprised if we see +.5% now. .25% seems likely. Possibly even a pause.

We might even find out tomorrow morning if there will be a rate pause:

Joint Statement by Treasury, Federal Reserve, and FDIC | federalreserve.gov (3 hrs ago)

Wow. Even if Lucid had positive gross margins, I don’t think the cost of that commercial would ever pay itself back in enough sales. What is it about “cost cutting” and “positive margins” that is so hard to understand?

Ah well, it could just be that I’m not as smart as Mr. Rawlinson. I know he’s smart because he acts like he is. /s

Saudi Aramco just reported a $161 Billion annual profit for 2022. Lucid can possibly run at a loss for a long time if they want it too, if it gives them a hedge on the EV transition (Of course they would be better off to just invest in TSLA for that).

So what was playing in the background? Silent Lucidity?

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
The surprising part of this post is that you watch the Oscars.
So, the spouse and I are movie buffs. It’s one of only two things we like to do together besides - 😉.

Anyway, we felt the past year was light on worthy movies so we were curious to know who they’d hand out all the awards to. And, there’s always a chance of being unexpectedly entertained by some unplanned *event*.

Paint, OTOH, is quick and easy … and nasty to deal with. I think you are very right that the Cybertruck will get a lot of attention.. Just not sure it will all be positive.
Of course the Cybertruck is going to get crapped on.

It's different. It's Tesla. It kicks Detroit auto in the forked end. MSM is already crapping on it, it will only get worse as we get closer to launch.

But it won't matter. There is only so much BS they can pile on and once they are on the street, word gets out.

Lol, after 2008, and Friday, you could argue that the BANKING industry is light on regulation. Just the way Wallee likes it... :p
I agree Artful Dodger. unk45 - what would be the problem with enforcing a rule/law that requires ALL bonds evaluated on a mark-to-market basis for banks? Not just available for sale bonds. Would that encourage banks to manage interest rate risk better or would it be a disaster when the FED can so quickly change the interest rate landscape?

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45
For every comment Elon makes, there often seems to be 30-100 mostly negative comments from various commentators, amateur and professional who are often pushing a thinly disguised agenda.

I trust the comments Elon makes about his businesses more than I trust the comments of most others. At least Elon is trying to be honest, open and transparent a lot of the time.

Often those that misunderstand Elon's intentions are not doing it deliberately, they just have narrow "tunnel vision" about how things are done, and what is possible, What Elon is doing doesn't fit their model if how things are done and new ways of doing things seem risky.

New ways of doing things are risky, but Elon has considered the risk/reward equation and decided the potential reward is worth the risk.

I have now re-watched Investor Day twice (one section in particular). I re-watched because a critical video raised serious questions about Elon's understanding of Lithium mining and refining. At first the critical video seemed right, and it took 2 X re-watching and paying very careful attention to what Elon and Drew said to understand the strategy Tesla was pursuing.

My eventual conclusion was, that the expert commentators had "tunnel vision" and completely misunderstood the strategy Tesla was using.

And every time I re-watch I learn something new, which broadens the scope of Tesla's ambitions. if you have only watched the Investor Day video once, it is likely that you have missed a lot.

When Elon is part of a team putting together comprehensive and ultimately successful plans in one or more businesses, he perhaps deserves the benefit of the doubt, or are least some effort to fully understand the plan.

It's the weekend - care to expand on your research? What was the critique, and what do you think the misunderstanding was (and how is Tesla actually correct 😉)?

Reactions: T3SLA3
Not sure how important or representative this is for other areas, but I’m seeing a lot of inventory on the Tesla site. About 20x MS, 30x model M3, and 50x MX in Seattle, Bellevue, Portland, Bend, and Spokane, cumulative. This is much more than I’ve seen before in my “ghost shopping.” Essentially no MYs, so indicative of the higher demand. I’m out of warranty in June and lower prices have piqued my interest about getting a longer range MS, or maybe a MY. Unfortunately, I cannot qualify for the tax break, so will probably just wait things out for quite a while. It does make me wonder if demand is moderating because of the higher interest rates. Will just need to wait two weeks until Q1 P/D report is out.

It looks like it’s CONFIRMED that the Tesla carbon ceramic brake upgrade unlocks the 200mph top speed of the Model S Plaid, and it even does 350kph (217mph!!!)
Video description claims more videos coming soon, car is stock minus carbon ceramic brakes.

Make sure under software -> additional vehicle information it says brake type: carbon ceramic.
Also make sure you’re in track mode when trying it, seems to be limited not in track mode still.

video of a lap record using the new limits.

Last edited:
It's the weekend - care to expand on your research? What was the critique, and what do you think the misunderstanding was (and how is Tesla actually correct 😉)?

This post and the one above it provide the background:- The Resource Angle

Essentially:-
In the case of the Lithium Refinery, using ores from 3 different mines makes sense, because they may need to tweak the process slightly for each ore body. They can then tell the miner "here is how to build a refinery for your ore".

The experts didn't understand that Tesla's intention is to prove (de-risk) better ways of mining and refining, then freely share that IP with suppliers, not to do all of the mining and refining for all of the raw materials they need.

Last edited: