Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No official Tesla twitter has confirmed this yet, but it looks like the Giga Berlin ramp has gotten to the steep part of the ramp! 26 days to go from 4k/week to 5k/week!

"It has been confirmed by 2 independent sources that Giga Berlin produced 5,000 vehicles per week last week and is now at a run rate of 250,000 p.a. - 50% of phase 1 capacity. Congrats team Berlin!"

Note: the picture from the tweet is the exact same pic from the official 4k/week tweet just doctored to say 5k

I have not seen this posted yet or if it did then it got much less attention than deserved.

Earlier this week, it was reported that the Boring Company had quietly filed a request to the government to double the size of the Vegas Loop plan to 65 miles and 69 stations. Just look at the size of this beauty:

View attachment 921159
View attachment 921160

The story appears to have been originally broken by TechCrunch.

Considering that Boring Co have barely completed any of the initial 29-mile plan (the completed segments are the yellow ones on the map), this news suggests that either they are getting way, way far ahead of themselves with wildly out-of-control ambition, or it means they expect an extreme increase in the construction rate in the next few years.

65 miles of tunnels is a staggeringly large amount. They are not playing around anymore. This plan would make the Vegas Loop the sixth-largest public mass transit system in North America as measured by length and the seventh-largest by station count, even though Las Vegas is merely the 43rd-largest metro area on the continent in terms of population.

For comparison, the New York City subway system has 145 miles of tunnels, yet the greater NYC metro area has 11x the population of the greater Las Vegas area. So if this plays out as planned, soon Vegas, a mid-sized city about the size of Cincinnati or Brussels, will have 25x more miles of underground public mass transit infrastructure per capita than NYC. Bet you didn’t see that coming.

Also, it's not just about Vegas. It's about the pace of construction and what we can extrapolate based on it. If they can build 65 miles in Vegas in X years, how many years will it take to build similar systems in N other cities? If this works and can be built in a matter of a few years as this move apparently indicates, then the United States might come back from being the laughingstock of the urban transportation planning world to become the global leader within a couple of decades. I bet you didn't see that coming either.

View attachment 921168

As always, this matters to Tesla for several reasons, most importantly that the Loop is ultimately meant to be robotaxi expressway racetrack. If you believe Tesla can achieve Level 4 autonomous driving then one of the key questions is how fast Boring Co can build Loops to serve the Tesla Network fleets. Remember, in March 2022 Elon stated that for Tesla Master Plan Part 3 “Main Tesla subjects will be scaling to extreme size, which is needed to shift humanity away from fossil fuels, and AI. But I will also Include sections about SpaceX, Tesla and The Boring Company.” Conspicuously absent from Investor Day was any of this promised inclusion of SpaceX and Boring, so I’m still waiting for more info. Maybe it will come in the Master Plan white paper. Regardless, it’s clear Elon has in mind some kind of Tesla-Boring integration that's deeper than what has been publicly disclosed.

It’s also important for marketing and product exposure because Vegas is by far the #1 tourist city in the Western Hemisphere with over 40 million visitors per year, although most of them are Americans traveling domestically rather than international tourists. This is like the marketing equivalent of half the NYC subway trains instead being Model Ys. That's kind of a big deal. Butts in seats lead to Tesla sales. The little initial Loop has already given over 1 million rides; the 65-mile system might do around a million rides per day if the full-sized Vegas Loop gets similar ridership numbers as comparably sized systems like Atlanta's MARTA. This would work out to an average of 1000000/65/2 = 8k passengers per day per mile of track (remember, there's two lanes in each mile, one for each direction) or about 500 riders per hour across a 16-hour peak usage window each day. The Vegas metro area plus its visitors usually totals around 3 million people so if one out of six people uses the system for an average of two rides per day (round trip commutes mainly) then 1 million rides is a plausible estimate. So many butts in seats.

I expect that production of tunneling machines is about to ramp up. The recent request for disposal of 145,000 gallons of water per day by Boring Co in Bastrop County, Texas was explained as being treated waste water from water-jet metal cutting.

That sounds like a LOT of metal being cut daily for assembly on the Boring production line.

Fascinating and educational Optimus design discussion on Twitter with @ZeApelido ‘s friend Joe and some other robotics engineers. I recommend listening when the recording is available.

However, Joe lives on the Peninsula which is also known as San Mateo County which, as I have recently come to understand, is a place for dweebs because all the cool kids are in Santa Clara. He also skips leg day. Now we really can’t trust anything he says anymore (biomechanics PhD notwithstanding).
What is this?!?

A sense of humor....we all know you're an advanced AI...but with a sense of humor?!

Doomed, I tell ya...we are doomed.

I expect that production of tunneling machines is about to ramp up. The recent request for disposal of 145,000 gallons of water per day by Boring Co in Bastrop County, Texas was explained as being treated waste water from water-jet metal cutting.

That sounds like a LOT of metal being cut daily for assembly on the Boring production line.
So 100 GPM average if running 24 hours a day.
A waterjet cutting head is 1-2 GPM, but cooling of the mechanicals can run a lot more (8+ GPM).
Gives a range of 10-100 cutting heads (can have multiple per machine).

I've been in the middle of a housing search the past months and seen Tesla drop down ~70% as well as the housing market cool down and ramp back up significantly (in only 5 months of the search). It's been a whirlwind and I'm wondering how much of it is due to the trickle down market effects of climate change. With all the rain going on in CA this winter (and now spring), I do wonder over the next years how rebuildable a lot of 70-100 year old homes are going to be and how that's going to be changing the landscape...as well as the roads.

After doing some research, this is becoming a trend across other parts of the world too...i.e. people walking away from mortgages essentially. There's more of these types of articles being churned out recently...maybe a sign that people are internalizing better now the situation at hand and its effects on the various economic markets we rely on?

Follow-up q - Was there a thread on Boxabl?
The phrase "walking away from the mortgage" is very American (US) along with the phrase "jinglemail" (as in putting the house keys in the bank's letterbox).

In a lot of non-USA legal jurisdictions you can walk away from the house as much as you want, but you can't walk away from the mortgage. The only way to walk away from the mortgage is to go through the personal bankruptcy process. I have known many people who were "underwater" on their mortgages during house price collapses, and some of whom even had to go through house sale events in that situation. A friend once went through the bankruptcy process in that situation, not an easy thing.

It makes quite a behavioural difference. There are pros and cons both ways mind you.

IMHO we are going to see an awful lot more of extremely large scale human migrations due to climate change and related issues, including the energy transformation and the rise of AI. What is happening now is barely the 1c taster, not the $1 real deal.

Why is it impractical for The Boring Co. to reuse the treated wastewater instead of disposal?
There are closed loop water recycling systems for waterjets, but it's not cost effective if they can use municipal services instead.

As it is, municipal water often needs further filtering and treatment before it can be used.
Do You Need A Closed Loop System For Your Waterjet?

Hi Everyone. I had a few members here private massage me, asking if I am doing well. So in case anyone was wondering. Yes I am fine and recuperating very well indeed. Thank you for all your kind messages a few weeks back.

I am still holding all my shares bought back in 2012 and 2013. These are in a taxable trading account so I just hold, hold, hold!! I worry not about these as I expect that 5 years from now they will be worth a lot more.

I do have a SEP IRÁ account with about 10% the amount of TSLA that I have in the trading account. This is “fun” money that can be traded without tax consequences. I’ve tried my best to time/guess the market with these shares. I’ve done ok with theses SEP shares but I can attest that, at least for me, buy and HOLD is more profitable and way less work!
I check this thread daily, but spending more time getting in my 3 to 4 miles a day walk. I forgot how beautiful it can be outside, especially the bird songs!!

All the best to everyone here!

Well firstly I never said anything about timing of production or what it would be made out of. Sure the cybertruck will have less of a drag coefficient, but will sacrifice some practicality for that ( if you have a pick up odds are I have tossed many a thing over the side). Practicality of stainless steel..,ie how hot it might get in sun, verdict is out.

Do you know what is established? 2 million conventional 3 box design pick up truck sales per year in US. If Tesla did that design, it would have been a slam dunk and quicker to market. Could cybertruck generate crazy demand. No one knows for sure.
Let's not pretend the side of the Cybertruck is 10ft high, plus the vehicle can squat down. Let's leave that nonsense to TSLAQ, OK? Why would a silver colored reflective SS get hotter than a dark paint color? More TSLAQ level nonsense.

How would a conventional pickup be any more of a slam dunk than the likely sold out for years Cybertruck? Where would they get all the extra cells needed to provide enough range for a more efficient platform? How would that speed up the delays in 4680 production? Tesla has said they will build a conventional truck "if" the Cybertruck is not successful enough. None of your "concerns" make any sense.

OT

I got my branding iron yesterday.
For a brief moment, the spell was broken.
I thought, "What the hell are you going to do with this thing?!?"

Then I saw the nice packaging, shiny Tesla T, and the Kool-Aid took effect again...

Have a great weekend folks.
You know what to do with it. And im sure we can get a go fund me for your medical bills up and running. And pictures, we need pictures.

In sort of industry news / sort of off topic: Gordon Moore has passed away.

Well firstly I never said anything about timing of production or what it would be made out of. Sure the cybertruck will have less of a drag coefficient, but will sacrifice some practicality for that ( if you have a pick up odds are I have tossed many a thing over the side). Practicality of stainless steel..,ie how hot it might get in sun, verdict is out.
Have owned pickups for a number of decades. Have never thrown anything over the side nor grabbed anything to pull out from the side. There’s a number of reasons why a person wouldn’t do that; they’re short, other physical impediments like bad shoulders/being older, the item they want to put in or take out is heavy or ungainly, they don’t want to risk unnecessarily scratching the paint, etc…
Do you know what is established? 2 million conventional 3 box design pick up truck sales per year in US. If Tesla did that design, it would have been a slam dunk and quicker to market. Could cybertruck generate crazy demand. No one knows for sure.
Do you know what’s established? Billions of ICE vehicles. If Tesla had designed an ICE vehicle, slam dunk and quicker to market. 🙄

It’s a real close knit community here.
1679763097609.png

Apparently not including the fossil fuel officer.