Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re not alone. I’m in the same boat. Since 2012 I’ve purchased multiple MS’s, thousands of shares and completely bought into the visions. Then he takes this right turn and now I am seriously reconsidering my CT order. No adult conscious black man would just ride along. It will kill me to buy something else just because I feel so strongly about Musk. We’ll see where I‘m at later this summer when the CT starts production and all those over priced Lightnings really start to drop in value.

His personal actions and opinions do affect how is see my company and it’s future. Can’t tell you how many people I’ve talked to that hate Musk because of his actions and will not buy anything Tesla. His arrogance makes him think Tesla is immune to this but he is wrong. Kind of like when he sold billions of $ of Tesla shares and bought Twitter. Instead of hovering around $300 we’re struggling to get back above $200/share. But don’t worry Elon says he’ll make it right. I guess that‘ll happen in about two weeks.
I think you should think about finding some other people to talk to. Although, you do seem to fit right in there with them. Must be a birds-of-a feather thing.

It has nothing to do with my personal views of Elon or his political beliefs, which are all over the place. As an investor I care about the brand. Appearing on Tucker Carlson’s show is sure to piss off one if not both ends of the political spectrum needlessly. There are plenty of actual news platforms, including Fox News, Elon could engage to converse with the public. Elon is making a statement with this appearance wether he intends to or not. Tucker’s show is on the editorial/opinion/entertainment side of the Fox “news” network, politically charged and controversial. I simply see it as poor judgement and likely damaging to the brand and this opinion has nothing to do with Elon’s political beliefs or mine.
And Fox/Tucker will edit the segment to piss off people and any push back Elon makes against what Tucker says during the segment will be minimized by Tucker editorial staff.

Tesla is a global company now. The US centric nature of this forum clearly shows up when commenting on that Colbert guy. Nobody outside of US gives a button about Elon showing on some talk show. Apparently, US folks have a strong feelings about it which even involved some party affiliations.

Get your head out of your sugar before is too late. US of A is not the belly button of the world. Elon ain't from here so aren't many others who actually matter in grand scheme of things. There are plenty of people and countries that love Tesla and Elon which can be seen everyday. Even Elon's mom was treated like a royalty in Shanghai which really should tell a story. Tesla's management team members are from many countries as well. So are engineers and workers.

The whole world which Tesla actually operates in is not defined by US Unions, 2 political US parties, pronouns and talk show hosts. It will change even further with time.

I will echo James Douma's comments on the price cuts and advertising question.

Tesla's got insane amounts of information. They have more information than OEMs tend to have, right, because they have all the way down to the customer interface. I think they probably understand their business really well, you know, what it takes to incentivize people to buy cars and where they're doing well, where they're not doing well, what people do and don't understand. I don't think they have perfect knowledge, but I think as the car business goes I think they're pretty well informed and externally I haven't seen sources of information which I think remotely rival the information Tesla has to work with when making these decisions. So I'm super reluctant to second-guess them. [Conversation continues but I didn't want take time to quote it all]

Linked to relevant timestamp. Whole interview is top-notch, as usual.

Let's unpack what Mr. Douma meant. Tesla has detailed, comprehensive data on everything that could possibly be relevant and measurable for making this decision. For example:
  • Usage stats for the Tesla app and Tesla.com, such as page access requests, average time spent browsing, how often people play with the vehicle configurators and what different options they select, etc.
  • What new refreshes or models are in the pipeline and when they intend to reveal them and begin production
  • Foot traffic statistics at the showrooms
  • Detailed geographic location data on all of these measures (except for the internet stuff for the minority of people using VPNs)
  • How Supercharger and Service Center construction in an area subsequently affects demand
  • Amount of inventory in every delivery center on the planet
  • Test drive impressions and customer comments
  • Surveys of employees at showrooms regarding customer questions and interests
  • Initial quality complaints upon delivery
  • Frequency of buying upsells like paint or FSD
  • Mix of SR/LR/P variants
  • Referral code usage
  • Repeat purchase data for each customer or household
  • Changes following posts on Twitter, major product reveal events on Youtube, etc.
I would be surprised if Tesla doesn't have at least one person (but probably a whole team) whose full-time job is to study this stuff and develop automated analysis tools to integrate all this data into insights. Like James, I personally trust Tesla to make the best decisions possible with this treasure trove of relevant information that no other OEM has due to lacking this degree of vertical integration and software prowess. Tesla would have to be incredibly incompetent at marketing and business analysis not to outperform all of us external analysts on strategizing this.

----------------------

Furthermore, Elon has said multiple times in the last few months that automotive demand has been weakening globally, for Tesla and the whole industry, and has said that higher rising interest rates are the main problem. We also can see signs of this in the growing inventory levels at dealerships of other OEMs. The credit market is almost certainly a major factor driving the recent price cuts.

Indeed, car sales for the whole industry remain significantly lower than the in years past. For instance, in the US, sales are depressed around 10-20% relative to 2020 and early 2021, which was already much lower than the peak years of 2017-2019. Tesla is selling into tough macros for automotive. Maybe this is due to lingering supply chain shortages, but maybe it's demand too.

Still, there's yet more nuance to these pricing and marketing decisions.

1) Tesla has also been saying they're finding that the sensitivity to price has been very high, which aligns with the expectations of fundamental microeconomic theory for expensive purchases that constitute a large portion of the average customer's overall household budget. Price cuts are the simplest and most effective way for Tesla to drive order flow in the short term. At Investor Day and the Q4 earnings call, they emphasized the dominant importance of price and affordability, and said that the primary limiting factor is affordability.

Elon Musk: “The most common question we've been getting from investors is about demand. Thus far -- so I want to put that concern to rest. Thus far in January, we've seen the strongest orders year-to-date than ever in our history. We currently are seeing orders at almost twice the rate of production. So I mean, that -- it's hard to say whether that will continue twice the rate of production, but the orders are high. And we've actually raised the Model Y price a little bit in response to that. So we think demand will be good despite probably a contraction in the automotive market as a whole. So basically, price really matters. I think there's just a vast number of people that want to buy a Tesla car but can't afford it.”

Tom Zhu: “…earlier this year we had a price adjustment. After that we generated huge demand, more than we can produce, really, and as Elon said, as long as you’re offering a product value at an affordable price you don’t have to worry about demand.”

Elon Musk: “The desire for people to own a Tesla is extremely high. The limiting factor is their ability to pay for a Tesla, not do they want a Tesla…For the vast majority of people it is affordability-driven…One of the things we weren’t sure about was the price elasticity of demand for Teslas. So, like, as we lower the price how much does demand increase? And we found that even small changes in the price have a big effect on demand. Very big. So that was a good thing to learn. … I mean, demand for our vehicles in terms of desire to own them may as well be infinite; it’s indistinguishable from infinite at this point…So as you make the car more affordable, we’ll have demand go crazy basically. … I cannot emphasize enough, the hard part is building the cars.”

2) In line with the affordability consideration, gas price fluctuations appear to strongly influence short-term interest in buying Tesla cars as well as other EVs, hybrids and other eco vehicle options. Gas prices have fallen majorly since the peak in summer of 2022, which was when Tesla vehicle demand skyrocketed and the company hiked prices to record highs to stave of the stampede of orders pushing the backlogs to untenable lengths. Below is a chart I made with data from the US Energy Information Administration. Gas prices have returned to 2021 levels and so have Tesla's average vehicle prices, roughly speaking. Granted, correlation alone does not imply causation, and even if there is causation here it's probably not the only significant factor, but I'm confident the decline in fuel prices has played a meaningful role. I don't understand why this isn't getting more attention in the conversation these days.

1681497634472.png

3) Tesla's demand curve is not static because it's increasing over time. The positive feedback loop of Tesla's word of mouth sales force continually drives more interest in the products even if Tesla does absolutely nothing to advertise. The more Teslas Tesla sells, the more Teslas Tesla sells. This means that simple analysis like "Tesla needs to drop prices to sell more cars as production volume increases" is not necessarily true, at least until Tesla is saturating each market segment they currently serve. The customers are educating other future customers and providing social proof that the cars are good.

4) There's big-picture branding, marketing and competitive positioning considerations. Tesla's brand is partially built around *not* doing traditional advertising. Almost everyone bought one either because of independent research or someone telling them about it. I have seen multiple people's eyes light up with surprise and intrigue when I've told them that last year Tesla was the top-selling and most-profitable luxury car brand in America despite not paying for a single ad. That's the kind of fact that makes people think "hmm, there must be something special going on here and I want to know more". Everyone knows that ads are often misleading and deceptive, but winning on sales without them is a strong signal that can't be faked. This narrative is spoiled if Tesla starts paying for ads, and it would open up new possibilities for negative attacks on demand fears whenever Tesla increases the amount of advertising.

This lack of paid advertising also makes Tesla ownership kind of feel like being in a club of special people "in the know" who either are up-to-date on the latest technology and smart enough to recognize something good when they find it, or they have cool friends who explained it to them and gave test rides. Marketing primarily via cult proselytization actually is a viable strategy for a business like Tesla.

IMO, Tesla will soon be seen as "Best Value" automotive brand. Not advertising and specifically stating that dollars saved on advertising are put into increasing the value of the car will contribute heavily into solidifying that brand image.

I think Tesla isn't too concerned about short-term cash flow. The mission is the focus and that mainly depends on mass production in the 2030s and beyond. Now that the company has no financial stress and a very well capitalized balance sheet, the priority needs to be targeting the brand positioning for the future. The mission demands optimization for the long game. A few billion dollars around the margins in the next few years is just a rounding error in comparison to the impact of improving performance in the 2030s and 40s.

5) Price cuts themselves generate attention for Tesla that's tantamount to advertising.

6) Expectations of imminent refreshes of Model 3 may be influencing short-term demand

7) I've saved the best for last: Tesla already has a massive social media presence, especially on Twitter, with Tesla's account having 20M followers and Elon's having 135M followers, and this lets them advertise for free. Tesla's social media presence is *elite* among major consumer brands and it's more than an order of magnitude ahead of other automotive OEMs.

Of the top 50 accounts on Twitter, almost all of them are famous individuals, not organizations. Elon's account is now #1, having recently passed Barack Obama's account. For the few organizations in the top 50, it's mainly sports teams/leagues, social networks, and top news media. Beyond these particular industries, Tesla is one of the most followed organizations of any kind on Twitter and is getting closer to this elite level with every passing year. In fact, I was unable to find any companies selling physical goods to consumers that have more Twitter presence than Tesla. This is especially remarkable considering how few customers Tesla actually has so far compared to companies like Walmart, Nike, Starbucks or McDonald's. Watch what happens as time goes on and Tesla really goes mainstream and is putting up Toyota-like sales numbers.

Tesla also probably benefits indirectly from SpaceX driving traffic and attention to Tesla's tweets. SpaceX has 29M followers.
1681494253295.png

Some of this, of course, depends on which social media platform each company prioritizes. For example, Apple has an order of magnitude more subscribers and views on Youtube than Tesla has. Many companies are more active on Facebook than Tesla is. Nevertheless, Twitter is the biggest platform for businesses to update the public on their products and services, and you only need traction on one platform anyway, because people will share compelling content on other platforms and in real life. Facebook, Google and Youtube get more advertising revenue but for direct engagement I'm pretty sure Twitter is #1. Tesla's account garners about 1-2M views on normal tweets and every few days exceeds 10M on more notable tweets like the Cybertruck crash test demo video from April Fool's Day. This is approximately the same view count as President Biden's tweets. In contrast, Mercedes-Benz rarely gets more than 100k views on a tweet at best.

So, Tesla already is advertising and educating consumers on the products. The question is actually whether Tesla should spend money on bribing other companies to promote the ads beyond what comes from subscribed followers and the organic interest generated by the Twitter & Youtube suggestion algorithms. I think competitors pay for ads fundamentally because they and their products are not intrinsically interesting enough per se, but Tesla does not have this limitation.

Last edited:
Tesla is a global company now. The US centric nature of this forum clearly shows up when commenting on that Colbert guy. Nobody outside of US gives a button about Elon showing on some talk show. Apparently, US folks have a strong feelings about it which even involved some party affiliations.

Get your head out of your sugar before is too late. US of A is not the belly button of the world. Elon ain't from here so aren't many others who actually matter in grand scheme of things. There are plenty of people and countries that love Tesla and Elon which can be seen everyday. Even Elon's mom was treated like a royalty in Shanghai which really should tell a story. Tesla's management team members are from many countries as well. So are engineers and workers.

The whole world which Tesla actually operates in is not defined by US Unions, 2 political US parties, pronouns and talk show hosts. It will change even further with time.
And as we see, the US is getting less and less relevant as time goes on, and we are on the period the drama is through the roof to try to stay relevant

With the manufacturing shift to China on the last decades, it opened the door to irrelevance. If you don’t have manufacturing what do you have? Software is nice and necessary, but not without the rest

We just need the whole world to ignore more and more US drama

And Tesla will be fine, and even better with all the drama to the background and nobody paying attention anymore

Of the top 50 accounts on Twitter, almost all of them are famous individuals, not organizations. Elon's account is now #1, having recently passed Barack Obama's account.
I'm curious as to why you ascribe any truth to Elon's claims about Twitter. To my knowledge, now that the company is private there is no obligation to be truthful about anything related to the business. At least not in public.

I find it impossible to believe that somehow most of the bots have disappeared and yet Elon's follower count has never fallen precipitously. And when Elon constantly amplifies blatant falsehoods related to other topics, why would anybody imagine he's being truthful when it comes to claims about how the business is doing? And many of the changes made to Twitter code and policies seem designed to make things more opaque, so third party validation is pretty much impossible.

Last edited:
What are the latest rumors about the impact of Tesla price cut on sales of other auto manufacturers?

If people are so well aware of Tesla's advantages (or at least of EV's in general) compared to ICE options, the latest drop in prices should decimate the rest of the industry.

Things should definitely become somwhat difficult for all manufacturers and dealers due to the raises in interest rates and inflation, but things should go really, really bad for non-EVs makers right now. Not just worrying but causing absolute panic for Q2 2023.

Not only ICE makers should lose actual sales to Tesla right now, but buyers not ready to order a Tesla today should delay all car purchases as long as possible, simply because ICE don't compete anymore in sedan and SUV markets. Unless the public still doesn't know about EV and particularly about Tesla.

But that's not what I'm hearing from my contacts working in the European auto industry. How can they not know what's coming? How can they still manage to continue selling anything at current prices when Tesla is discounting all their models so fast without telling anyone about it?
My question: If a Tesla price falls in the forest and there's no advertising/publication, does anyone hear it?

I hate advertising, but a simple photo of a 3 or Y, or just a silent, gray screen announcing enormous % price cuts for 15 seconds would be very useful.

And as we see, the US is getting less and less relevant as time goes on, and we are on the period the drama is through the roof to try to stay relevant

With the manufacturing shift to China on the last decades, it opened the door to irrelevance. If you don’t have manufacturing what do you have? Software is nice and necessary, but not without the rest

We just need the whole world to ignore more and more US drama

And Tesla will be fine, and even better with all the drama to the background and nobody paying attention anymore
Perhaps you didn't read this article from this week in the British magazine The Economist. 2nd paragraph:
"Yet the anxiety obscures a stunning success story—one of enduring but underappreciated outperformance. America remains the world’s richest, most productive and most innovative big economy. By an impressive number of measures, it is leaving its peers ever further in the dust."

US and international politics will be crucially relevant to Tesla in a few years when Taiwan has been reduced to rubble, and the US bans imports from China and requires US companies to divest Chinese assets. These things might not happen, but there's a good chance they will.

Here’s a different article about the same thing. Seems legit: Tesla creates new Model 3 for company car drivers
Just to pull this info out. M3LR Dual motor seems to be around 52990 Euros - so 5k cheaper for Fleet Single Motor?

specifically for company car drivers.

The Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive boasts a class-leading range of 634km (WLTP est.), which is farther than the 602km of the current Model 3 Long Range, and it will also be cheaper, with prices starting at €47,990.

Fleets can order the car through Tesla’s B2B channels as well as the Tesla For Business portal (in markets where this operates).

The portal gives businesses a live overview of their fleet and allows fleet managers to order new vehicles, and manage charging and premium subscriptions.

Deliveries of the Model 3 Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive will begin in June

Last edited:
I think at least the first section of this is required listening on Artificial Intelligence:
The impact on investing in tech is going to be huge. Made me think 2 things:
1) We are invested in tech that cannot so easily be disrupted
2) I should be buying NVDA / TSMC again maybe - discuss here What other tech stock to consider?
Hopefully others are thinking the same!
Very smart wealthy guys, yes, but when the SVB failure broke, they abandoned their "principled" anti big government stand in a nanosecond and were all wailing and pleading for a bail-out. I watched it and was disgusted. I'll not be spending my time with them anytime soon. Entitled. Spineless. Pathetic.

I'm curious as to why you ascribe any truth to Elon's claims about Twitter. To my knowledge, now that the company is private there is no obligation to be truthful about anything related to the business. At least not in public.

I find it impossible to believe that somehow most of the bots have disappeared and yet Elon's follower count has never fallen precipitously. And when Elon constantly amplifies blatant falsehoods related to other topics, why would anybody imagine he's being truthful when it comes to claims about how the business is doing? And many of the changes made to Twitter code and policies seem designed to make things more opaque, so third part validation is pretty much impossible.
He has generally earned at least my trust as not beeing a liar, for what that may be worth. That may change in the future of course - but by no means based on what you bring to the table here…

Tesla is an American company and the US is Tesla’s biggest market. It is listed on US capital markets. It sells more cars in the US than in all of Europe combined. Musk is an American citizen. The perception of Tesla in the US is more important than in any other country or region in the world. Tesla’s success or failure starts at home.

I'm curious as to why you ascribe any truth to Elon's claims about Twitter.
If you are alleging that we can't trust follower counts on Twitter now, ummm really? Also the follower counts and associated rank distribution of top accounts is still almost exactly the same as in 2021, so that would imply that previous Twitter management also was lying about this. I really doubt it.

To my knowledge, now that the company is private there is no obligation to be truthful about anything related to the business. At least not in public.
I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure this is not true. And bear in mind, they still have customers relying on the accuracy of that information when selling them ads.