Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford CEO Jim Farley weighs in on the electric vs. gas vehicle debate

Ford definitely hedging their EV transition. 6 minute video. He said they plan to be 50/50 Ev and Ice by 2030. Also that larger vehicles will take much longer to transition. Also they will be break even with EV's by end of next year, lol.
It is quite apparent after watching this that legacy OEM'S are already backtracking on their pie in the sky forecasts over the last few years. "Gas is here to stay baby" is what they are saying when the cameras are off.....Shame Shame.

Found
On
Road
Dead
I don’t think you quite understand what Ford is doing. They are preparing to split the company and this is a very delicate couple years. Union and investor and community and dealer networks all have to be carefully managed. Elon can see that Ford is doing what his buddy at VW was unable to do. That is why Elon says that Fords EV strategy is smart. Ford will sell every f150 lightning they make, ct is going to be battery constrained for 2 years- less every month but constrained. Ford is growing the customer base with every lightning sale. Very few are existing Ford truck owners and if you look at American OEMs most of the profits are trucks/big suvs. Also most truck drivers are very brand loyal so it is hard to grow profits. This is an unparalleled opportunity for Ford (lightning buyers are mostly new to trucks- every other lightning buyer I have met was a new truck buyer) and they are trying so hard to capture them. If they can get 2-3 million new buyers it will be a coup. Slowly over time you will see regular truck buyers migrate to Evs but it will be a long slow journey.

Stellantis, GM, Toyota, Honda are the one that seem clueless to me.

With bullish assumption it can bot around the clock, then if we take Mexico average: 4.2 x 8765.25 = 36,814.05. That's just direct pay. Add in any other additional overhead. $100k still seems high, but not ridiculously high.
No healthcare benefits
No worker’s compensation
No PTO or FTO, sick leave, paternity leave, lateness
No freebies like coffee, cola, juice, snack foods
No uniforms (t-shirts, hats etc…)
No promotions and thus higher salaries
Smaller parking lots
Smaller cafeterias
Fewer bathrooms and lesser other employee spaces (locker room, showers, workout room, entertainment room)
Smaller HR department
Smaller payroll department

Etc…

People suck AND are expensive

I don’t think you quite understand what Ford is doing. They are preparing to split the company and this is a very delicate couple years.
Too bad they didn’t think to do that YEARS ago when I posted right here on this forum that was the only way to go.
Union and investor and community and dealer networks all have to be carefully managed.
😂 Good luck with that. Should have ripped the bandaid off instead of trying to be delicate.
Ford will sell every f150 lightning they make,
Really? How’s that working for them right now?
Ford is growing the customer base with every lightning sale. Very few are existing Ford truck owners-
That’s a problem, don’t you think? Why is it they can’t sell the Lightning to their current truck owners? I mean, Tesla doesn’t have any truck owners so they’ll be growing a new ‘customer base’. 🙄 And they’ll grow it fast, so you better hope your beloved Ford gets the lead out of their derrière because CT will outsell the Lightning all day long, every day right from the get go. It’ll be like Ford doesn’t know a thing about growing a ‘customer base’.

Tick, tock.

I agree. This is true for 4680 Gen I currently produced at Kato Road in a dry/wet process (capacity target 10 GWh/a). The current Model Y AWD uses these Gen I batteries. The Gen II 4680 factories in Austin and later in Nevada will be Gen II in a dry/dry process and the targeted capacity in Austin is 40 GWh. To reach this capacity I expect the catode plant also in Austin is a pre-requisite.

Gen II 4680 is a prerequisite for a meaningful production of the Cybertruck. For Model Y in Austin and in Berlin, 2170 was the fallback option. For the Cybertruck there is no fallback option, the project will just be delayed until everything is ready.

The Battery Day presentation, there stated 5 major goals.
View attachment 939382

Of these goals, Gen I 4680 includes
- “cell design” (the tabless cell enables the increase of the diameter).
- “cell factory”
- “cathode materials” (with nickel so far)
- “cell vehicle integration” (structural pack combined with front and rear casting)

Gen II 4680 includes the “anode materials” according to slides 41 to 45 of the Battery Day presentation.
“Silicon stores 9x more lithium than graphite” but involves the challenge “volume expansion” which Tesla intends to solve by using a design which can cope with this expansion. Benefits of ”anode materials” are a 20 % range increase (page 44) and a 37 % $/kWh reduction.

I honestly have no idea if the silicon - lithium anode will enable a faster charging rate in 4680 Gen II. We will figure out after the frist Cybertrucks are handed out to customers.

Now I would to look further to the consequences to the model Y and the model 3. Troy Teslike explained with this table that the energy density (Wh/kg) of the Model Y AWD (range 279 miles) is 13 % lower than of the Model Y LR with Panasonic 2170 batteries (range 330 miles)

As stated above, (Gen II cells) with silicon/lithium anodes will offer a 20 % range increase: 279 miles + 20 % is 334.8 miles for the Model Y with 4680 Gen II. So with a small software limit, the range is the same as today.

Therefore, Tesla is currently able to use 4680 Gen II batteries as soon as they are ready instead of 4680 Gen I batteries at their Austin plant and rebadge the Model Y AWD as a Model Y LR. Benefit of this strategy is that Tesla will have a lot of real world experience for the Cybertruck battery system, so there is little to worry about in this regard.

When I watched Munro Live’s Teardown of the 4680 Model Y battery pack I saw that there is about 10-15 % unused space left in the pack. By making the modules wider, a model Y extended range configuration with about 370 miles would be quite easy to build with Gen II 4680 batteries. However, I don’t expect this range increase as long as Tesla is 4680 batteries constrained, so until 2025 or 2026.

For the model 3, there will be simply no space left in the battery pack to further increase the range by adding additional cells. I expect the same Gen II battery pack of the model to fit into the model 3. 4680 Gen II offers a 4 % range advantage over Panasonic 2170 batteries. But in the meantime Tesla has switched to 2170 Batteries from LG which offer a slightly lower range (and as a benefit are eligible at least for a partial IRA credit). So when the switch to 4680 Batteries happens in January 2024 at the earliest imho, the range increase will look a bit more substantial than it actually is. So all together, yes I think at some point we will see a model 3 highland with 400 miles range at some time. But Tesla is for now seriously 4680 battery constrained (Model Y Austin, Cybertruck), so I would not be surprised to not see this configuration for another two years. Another issue of this rumored Ludicrous Model Y configuration with more range is that it can only be produced in Fremont which increases shipping costs for Europe and Asia. Also this version will be more expensive than the limit of 55’000 USD of the IRA credit. Another issue is a further cannibalizing of the Model S which is already low in demand. So the Model 3 Ludicrious could be the suscessor of the Model S, but only after the Roadster 2 as a new halo product is out in 2025 as we learned at the annual meeting.

Last, it makes no sense to ship 2170 batteries from Nevada to Austin since this invovles additional logistics cost of about 1 $ per kWh according to my estimation due to the longer trip. Lowering costs is a current top priority at Tesla. So the Model 3 Highland made in Fremont will use 2170 batteries as soon as the IRA credit expires end of December 2023 and therefore not offer a range real increase compared to the old model 3 LR with 2170 Panasonic batteries. I expect the price to go up a bit again due to the higher range. Of course also a configuration with a lower range will be available. I expect the Model 3 highland will be first handed out to customers in February and March 2024. This makes also sense since this is the quarter with the lowest demand, therefore a demand boost due to a model 3 relaunch is welcome from a business point of view.

In summary it appears that Tesla has a sophisticated plan and is constantly adapting the plan as soon as issues and opportunities arise.

Awesome summary

Only thing I have doubts is that they will add Silicon to 4680s V2, I’m 50/50 on it

And if they add, will be a tiny fraction, you have to be really careful with that, as any screw up and your cell cycle life goes down the drain

What happens is that with every charging and discharge cycle, Silicon expands and contracts by a lot, so your solid electrolyte interface (SEI) cracks and reforms, but it gets thicker and thicker, and the SEI consumes lithium, so you are converting active lithium that it’s what gives the cell its energy storage into inactive lithium

But even if they don’t go for it, 4680 V2 have a taller jelly roll and DBE on both anode and cathode, so that will already increase energy by a few percentual points certainly reaching 90 Wh per cell or even kissing 100 Wh

The good thing is that none of that is needed for a 500 miles Cybertruck, and with Elon saying it surpasses expectations, I would be pretty disappointed if while other things were better, they walk back on range, which is one of the most talked about features

I agree. This is true for 4680 Gen I currently produced at Kato Road in a dry/wet process (capacity target 10 GWh/a). The current Model Y AWD uses these Gen I batteries. The Gen II 4680 factories in Austin and later in Nevada will be Gen II in a dry/dry process and the targeted capacity in Austin is 40 GWh. To reach this capacity I expect the catode plant also in Austin is a pre-requisite.

Gen II 4680 is a prerequisite for a meaningful production of the Cybertruck. For Model Y in Austin and in Berlin, 2170 was the fallback option. For the Cybertruck there is no fallback option, the project will just be delayed until everything is ready.

The Battery Day presentation, there stated 5 major goals.
View attachment 939382

Of these goals, Gen I 4680 includes
- “cell design” (the tabless cell enables the increase of the diameter).
- “cell factory”
- “cathode materials” (with nickel so far)
- “cell vehicle integration” (structural pack combined with front and rear casting)

Gen II 4680 includes the “anode materials” according to slides 41 to 45 of the Battery Day presentation.
“Silicon stores 9x more lithium than graphite” but involves the challenge “volume expansion” which Tesla intends to solve by using a design which can cope with this expansion. Benefits of ”anode materials” are a 20 % range increase (page 44) and a 37 % $/kWh reduction.

I honestly have no idea if the silicon - lithium anode will enable a faster charging rate in 4680 Gen II. We will figure out after the frist Cybertrucks are handed out to customers.

Now I would to look further to the consequences to the model Y and the model 3. Troy Teslike explained with this table that the energy density (Wh/kg) of the Model Y AWD (range 279 miles) is 13 % lower than of the Model Y LR with Panasonic 2170 batteries (range 330 miles)

As stated above, (Gen II cells) with silicon/lithium anodes will offer a 20 % range increase: 279 miles + 20 % is 334.8 miles for the Model Y with 4680 Gen II. So with a small software limit, the range is the same as today.

Therefore, Tesla is currently able to use 4680 Gen II batteries as soon as they are ready instead of 4680 Gen I batteries at their Austin plant and rebadge the Model Y AWD as a Model Y LR. Benefit of this strategy is that Tesla will have a lot of real world experience for the Cybertruck battery system, so there is little to worry about in this regard.

When I watched Munro Live’s Teardown of the 4680 Model Y battery pack I saw that there is about 10-15 % unused space left in the pack. By making the modules wider, a model Y extended range configuration with about 370 miles would be quite easy to build with Gen II 4680 batteries. However, I don’t expect this range increase as long as Tesla is 4680 batteries constrained, so until 2025 or 2026.

For the model 3, there will be simply no space left in the battery pack to further increase the range by adding additional cells. I expect the same Gen II battery pack of the model to fit into the model 3. 4680 Gen II offers a 4 % range advantage over Panasonic 2170 batteries. But in the meantime Tesla has switched to 2170 Batteries from LG which offer a slightly lower range (and as a benefit are eligible at least for a partial IRA credit). So when the switch to 4680 Batteries happens in January 2024 at the earliest imho, the range increase will look a bit more substantial than it actually is. So all together, yes I think at some point we will see a model 3 highland with 400 miles range at some time. But Tesla is for now seriously 4680 battery constrained (Model Y Austin, Cybertruck), so I would not be surprised to not see this configuration for another two years. Another issue of this rumored Ludicrous Model Y configuration with more range is that it can only be produced in Fremont which increases shipping costs for Europe and Asia. Also this version will be more expensive than the limit of 55’000 USD of the IRA credit. Another issue is a further cannibalizing of the Model S which is already low in demand. So the Model 3 Ludicrious could be the suscessor of the Model S, but only after the Roadster 2 as a new halo product is out in 2025 as we learned at the annual meeting.

Last, it makes no sense to ship 2170 batteries from Nevada to Austin since this invovles additional logistics cost of about 1 $ per kWh according to my estimation due to the longer trip. Lowering costs is a current top priority at Tesla. So the Model 3 Highland made in Fremont will use 2170 batteries as soon as the IRA credit expires end of December 2023 and therefore not offer a range real increase compared to the old model 3 LR with 2170 Panasonic batteries. I expect the price to go up a bit again due to the higher range. Of course also a configuration with a lower range will be available. I expect the Model 3 highland will be first handed out to customers in February and March 2024. This makes also sense since this is the quarter with the lowest demand, therefore a demand boost due to a model 3 relaunch is welcome from a business point of view.

In summary it appears that Tesla has a sophisticated plan and is constantly adapting the plan as soon as issues and opportunities arise.

Nice analysis. At the future Roadster event don't be surprised if a roadster with two more doors debuts at the same time. Called the Model S. Mr. Hanz stated something on an hour long podcast about walking past the Model S everyday at the studio. That makes no sense, unless.............

No healthcare benefits
No worker’s compensation
Smaller parking lots
Smaller cafeterias
Fewer bathrooms and lesser other employee spaces (locker room, showers, workout room, entertainment room)
Smaller HR department

Etc…

Add cleaner to the list, especially around food production and packaging

I don’t think you quite understand what Ford is doing. They are preparing to split the company and this is a very delicate couple years. Union and investor and community and dealer networks all have to be carefully managed. Elon can see that Ford is doing what his buddy at VW was unable to do. That is why Elon says that Fords EV strategy is smart. Ford will sell every f150 lightning they make, ct is going to be battery constrained for 2 years- less every month but constrained. Ford is growing the customer base with every lightning sale. Very few are existing Ford truck owners and if you look at American OEMs most of the profits are trucks/big suvs. Also most truck drivers are very brand loyal so it is hard to grow profits. This is an unparalleled opportunity for Ford (lightning buyers are mostly new to trucks- every other lightning buyer I have met was a new truck buyer) and they are trying so hard to capture them. If they can get 2-3 million new buyers it will be a coup. Slowly over time you will see regular truck buyers migrate to Evs but it will be a long slow journey.

Stellantis, GM, Toyota, Honda are the one that seem clueless to me.
Ditto to @Krugerrand .
Saying and doing are completely different.
Prototypes are easy, production is hard.
Production is hard, scaling is hell.
Scaling is hell, making a profit is nearly impossible.
EM agreed that they are doing the best of the others, agreed.
However since then it is very apparent all of the OEM'S are backtracking.
Watch that 6 minute clip of Farley.
If you can't see what he is Now saying vs. Their "Plans" have done a 180 degree shift, then we will have to agree to disagree.
Kudos to Farley for being upfront about their Ev disclosures in profits or lack thereof.

Awesome summary

Only thing I have doubts is that they will add Silicon to 4680s V2, I’m 50/50 on it

And if they add, will be a tiny fraction, you have to be really careful with that, as any screw up and your cell cycle life goes down the drain

What happens is that with every charging and discharge cycle, Silicon expands and contracts by a lot, so your solid electrolyte interface (SEI) cracks and reforms, but it gets thicker and thicker, and the SEI consumes lithium, so you are converting active lithium that it’s what gives the cell its energy storage into inactive lithium

But even if they don’t go for it, 4680 V2 have a taller jelly roll and DBE on both anode and cathode, so that will already increase energy by a few percentual points certainly reaching 90 Wh per cell or even kissing 100 Wh

The good thing is that none of that is needed for a 500 miles Cybertruck, and with Elon saying it surpasses expectations, I would be pretty disappointed if while other things were better, they walk back on range, which is one of the most talked about features
4680 is already being produced as dual DBE per The Limiting Factor, they just aren't putting that version in the Y.

Tesla presented their 100% silicon anode approach at Battery Day, but yeah don't want a repeat of the 90kWh packs.

What is that claim based on?
A good summary on the patent here

And also, on Investors Day they showed that the cells made in Texas have one less part, which seem to align. The result is a slimmer cap design leaving more room to the jelly roll

That complex copper flower with many welds got ditched and instead the tables electrode is welded directly to the cell cap in 3 lines only, and then the cell cap is laser welded instead of crimped

V1
tesla-4680-type-cylindrical-battery-cell-flowers-source-munro-live.jpg

V2
1684592875578.png

Good summary but I note one clarification. My understanding is that the planned capacity for 4680 production at Austin is 100GWh, similar to that planned for Nevada.

According to the Limiting Factor (see video below @17:30), Tesla are currently working to fully ramp a single 4680 production line with a capacity of 25GWh. Additionally in the Q4 2022 earnings call Drew said "As far as where we stand in Texas, 1 of 4 lines are in production, with the remaining 3 stages of commissioning and install". So once Tesla have ironed out the kinks and ramped production they will have 4 lines in Austin producing 4 x 25 = 100GWh.

Fallen Angels : IBD Tesla from 24.50 other similar patterns from leaders ISRG, NFLX , CMG , AMZN

Excellent market review from a bullish perspective and of TSLA in particular. TSLA related discussion starts at 24:50 but the whole interview is worth watching. Buy and Hold!

Good summary but I note one clarification. My understanding is that the planned capacity for 4680 production at Austin is 100GWh, similar to that planned for Nevada.

According to the Limiting Factor (see video below @17:30), Tesla are currently working to fully ramp a single 4680 production line with a capacity of 25GWh. Additionally in the Q4 2022 earnings call Drew said "As far as where we stand in Texas, 1 of 4 lines are in production, with the remaining 3 stages of commissioning and install". So once Tesla have ironed out the kinks and ramped production they will have 4 lines in Austin producing 4 x 25 = 100GWh.

Thank you for the clarification. Sadly, it is now too late to edit my post. I did know that there will be 4 Lines but apparently I got the capacity per line wrong. On page 35 of the battery day presentation a capacity of 20 GWh per ine is stated. Could be that this Number was a bit sandbagged.

They've also since added an audible "ding" when shifting into D or R or P. Folks with bFSD aren't on this build yet though. I actually appreciate the audible on my non-bFSD MY...
OT, but On Safety-Saturday... That "ding" could have saved our blue Model Y. Reverse doesn't always go in reverse if the action is too quick not done slowly. One needs this feature quickly when aborting stuff (or at least acknowledged), otherwise it's potentially still in Drive. Still misses R even in the garage, gotta hit it twice 1/3 of the time. Can't be a defect, does this on the newer Y and others around here agree. I wonder why no ding on FSD builds only? Need the ding!

Well that's an unexpectedly nice end to the trading week!

Maybe I'll sleep well tonight for once...
Did you? Sleep well? I bit my fingers so you could. Perhaps tonight you won't sleep as well.
The price was exactly where the MM's and others wanted TSLA to be yesterday as Rentz (sp?) posted yesterday morning. Whether micro or macro analyzing the stock price one clearly sees the Stock Price is not reacting to anything factual.
There is no reason for the stock to be where it is. And that can be said for when it traded at $400 or $100. The flock of amateur traders in the stock provide the Shepherds of the stock massive profits for their endeavors.
My one hope is that advertising will make the company more stable in the minds of investors, and the MM-types will find another flock to fleece. Advertising won't do this so much by what is in the ads. But by the fact that Commercial news channels will quit creating FUD. The Tesla ad money is protection/extortion money.

Last edited:
No healthcare benefits
No worker’s compensation
Smaller parking lots
Smaller cafeterias
Smaller HR department

Etc…

In US, no employer FICA (SS and Medicare) contribution.

Anyone else feel Tesla still hasn't mastered the art of sandbagging WS yet? While *I* appreciate the full transparency with their impressive goals, it feels like reality often disappoints vs Elon's aggressive goals. Examples of the extremely aggressive goals include: battery day, cybertruck ramp, roadster ramp, semi ramp, gen 2 anything, FSD, Optimus, etc. Feels like WS takes this transparency and creates expectations that Tesla can't actually match. Don't confuse this comment and think I'm not impressed with Tesla's accomplishments, rather comparing their optimistic goals vs delivery and how TSLA surprises WS to the upside....