Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely agree with your second paragraph - the cameras in our new Y are amazing - and why do I need a beep or an imaginary line to park? Incidentally, I still sometimes shoulder check and stick my head out my window to park in a really tight space... I guess I'm old school. I like looking out my back window when driving in reverse, it's fun.

Only issue with wipers is that sometimes with even autopilot the wipers go on when it's not raining - that's the only wiper issue I'm aware of that needs fixing. It's not a visibility/safety issue, though, it's just annoying. I have to <sigh, first world problem> switch back to adaptive cruise control.

FSD is not mandatory. I didn't pay for it, Tesla isn't forcing it on anyone, and it's still the best car on the road (bang for buck at least), and the safest. And it keeps improving... I guess I'm just too darn grateful for the things I have, I'm too lazy to complain about the things that aren't perfect.
The issues I’ve had with the auto wipers is when they smear salt spray during a winter drive and the TACC becomes unusable.

Reactions: Etna and Paul_SF
There is no European regulation that forces auto-wipers and teslavisions 'park assist' to be so absolutely terrible.

The improvement to autowipers is tied to the FSD Beta stack, as explained on May 29, 2023:

TesLatino on Twitter: "AP auto-wipers need to be fixed @elonmusk. At the very least allow to cancel wipes while on AP. It makes no sense to allow this to keep happening." / Twitter​
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@TesLatino Sorry, this is one of the last neural nets to be updated to surround video (from single camera, single frame)" / Twitter​

Tesla isn't going to rejigger the FSD development timeline to prioritize what is in reality an extremely minor quibble (there are sound technical reasons they are addressing issues in a certain order). Europe will have to wipe manually for now.

Coincidently, I installed FSD Beta v11.4.3 last week, and autowipers are remarkably improved: As I was sitting at a red light after a sun-set drive thru the river parks area, my windshield was dirty and bug splattered. Without prompting, the car started spraying windshield washer fluid and the wipers turned on. Not only that, but it continued with a changing pattern of intermittent washer fluid squirts with variable wiper speed until the windshield was completely clean. No $2 wash by a squeegee-boy could have done better. I was gob-smacked.

Why isn't this shipping to Europe? The neural net that runs this is part of the FSD beta stack, and can not be easily separated out of that system and grafted onto the production autopilot now delivered in Europe. Again, this is on the Regulators. They (in their infinite wisdom) have decided that European drivers shall not be exposed to the 'risks' of beta tesing, and that you'll have to wait. That's not on Tesla, but they're an easy target, right? And nobody considers the beaurocrazy to be a nanny state creating more barriers to progress... but I digress.

Cheers!

The US has routinely lagged behind Europe and other regions in terms of EV adoption, but no longer. Counterpoint estimates that American EV sales jumped 79 percent year-over-year in the first quarter of 2023, helping it move past Germany to become the world's second-largest electric car market. Only China is larger, the analyst group says.

EV tax credits are believed to have played a "crucial role" in spurring sales, and may have helped the US automotive industry as a whole. Where sales of combustion engine cars were flat, EVs surged ahead, according to Counterpoint.

Except FSD forces auto wipers back on. Maybe autopilot too? I've been very frustrated by this as I've had a perfectly clean car soiled by FSD/AP.
Autopilot too but even basic cruise control.

Last winter with slush on the road I was on cruise control passing a truck in a curve (one lane each and next to an opposing lane with heavy traffic) when the wipers decided it would be funny to spread that dirt over my windshield, thereby totally obscuring my view with perfect timing. Scariest experience ever.

The improvement to autowipers is tied to the FSD Beta stack, as explained on May 29, 2023:

[snip]​

Coincidently, I installed FSD Beta v11.4.3 last week, and autowipers are remarkably improved: As I was sitting at a red light after a sun-set drive thru the river parks area, my windshield was dirty and bug splattered. Without prompting, the car started spraying windshield washer fluid and the wipers turned on. Not only that, but it continued with a changing pattern of intermittent washer fluid squirts with variable wiper speed until the windshield was completely clean. No $2 wash by a squeegee-boy could have done better. I was gob-smacked.
Thanks for the info! I’ve had the beta auto wipers turned off for a long time because it was poorly implemented. Just was out with 11.4.3 today in light rain and will have to turn the feature back on.

Except FSD forces auto wipers back on. Maybe autopilot too? I've been very frustrated by this as I've had a perfectly clean car soiled by FSD/AP.
Not on my S. Stalk mounted wiper control with the beta wipers option turned off does not force auto wipers on with FSDb active. Maybe just a 3 or Y thing?

Thanks for the info! I’ve had the beta auto wipers turned off for a long time because it was poorly implemented. Just was out with 11.4.3 today in light rain and will have to turn the feature back on.

Not on my S. Stalk mounted wiper control with the beta wipers option turned off does not force auto wipers on with FSDb active. Maybe just a 3 or Y thing?
Not on my X either. No dry wipes but it does run them way too fast.

The above series of posts suggests to me there is a large non-uniformity amongst the fleet regarding the entire wiper software plus hardware. I completely discount those who say their wipers function perfectly, as it means nothing to those whose wipers function otherwise. Mine also are otherwise. Acceptable in a 2012-3 pre-Autoeverything Model S, most definitely not so in our 2017 Model X. Not on Auto, not on Intermittent. And no, there is not even an insta-tap hit once /run once feature, rather, one has to rotate the stalk through its entirety both on and off.
My 1960 Chevy was worse. My 1968 Ford, and every other non Faberge Egg subsequently was better.

For a board that in general champion FSD , it is somewhat strange that everyone wants to park themselves!

I have autopilot, and used it once. I like to drive.

With that said, comparing parking the Tesla to anything with birds eye view sucks. The model x is wide, and 22 inch rims have little sidewall. They are a 7200 dollar option, and you don’t want to put in a couple hundred in sensors or cameras?

Before all the Lewis Hamilton’s on the board pipe in, yes I as well consider myself to have very good parking ability. But the focus on self is NOT the point. I personally know a family whose son died in their driveway from someone backing up. While an extreme example, safety features, parking included, are just that. Safety features.

The auto wipers, well they suck.

The above series of posts suggests to me there is a large non-uniformity amongst the fleet regarding the entire wiper software plus hardware. I completely discount those who say their wipers function perfectly, as it means nothing to those whose wipers function otherwise. Mine also are otherwise. Acceptable in a 2012-3 pre-Autoeverything Model S, most definitely not so in our 2017 Model X. Not on Auto, not on Intermittent. And no, there is not even an insta-tap hit once /run once feature, rather, one has to rotate the stalk through its entirety both on and off.
My 1960 Chevy was worse. My 1968 Ford, and every other non Faberge Egg subsequently was better.
You can add a lot of other things that are similar, FSD especially. In my case FSD was totally unworkable even though all hardware checked out and multiple software reloads, versions were tried. Then I got a new one a week ago, and mysteriously it works, or at least it will stay turned on. If you go to the software section, you’ll find complaints about every software version. All kinds of complaints. Tesla has got to get a handle on this soon, as people are now buying the cars that have little or no sympathy with faults Like this. They simply don’t understand them.

I hadn't noticed. Maybe turning on FSD also turns on auto wipers, but then you toggle them back off and they're off?

By "turning on" I mean the process of enabling FSD and accepting the disclaimers and stuff. Not the double pull on the stalk while I'm driving. Maybe that's a new feature that I'll grow to hate in a few months when the rain returns :)

I hadn't noticed. Maybe turning on FSD also turns on auto wipers, but then you toggle them back off and they're off?

By "turning on" I mean the process of enabling FSD and accepting the disclaimers and stuff. Not the double pull on the stalk while I'm driving. Maybe that's a new feature that I'll grow to hate in a few months when the rain returns :)

Model 3 owners manual, current version online:

m3manualwipers.png

Model S owners manual, current version online:

msmanualwipers.png

- seriously? before cameras existed in cars people had the ability to park without hitting curbs and other objects; I’d suggest you practice in an empty parking lot with friends, the way we did back in the day. Indeed, it was a requirement to parallel park as part of passing a driver’s test, and they didn’t give you a quarter mile of room to do it in either and a curb was involved. Pylons with eggs on top.

All these posts about not having the (now) standard parking aids in one’s car is bringing back memories…. I failed my first attempt at the driver’s test. I was in a BMW 2002 stick shift, which is a sweet ride but pretty small. Proper procedure is to turn your head and look backwards as you start back, but do try to avoid moving your arm back as well and sticking your elbow into the tester’s face 😰.

Personally I appreciate all aids I can have in my car. I’m still old school, and mostly do things by sight, but I appreciate all the warnings because you just never know when you are going to do something dumb, lol.

All posts about how Birdseye, ultrasonic, etc. are unecessary....they are all just sadly an effort at justifying Tesla's inadequacy. If people are such awesome drivers so as not to need the extras, we'll no one makes you use them. Having additional aides to help all drivers, regardless of skills, makes for the safest cars. Many other car brands have created valuable features to help in this area. Don't justify Tesla's substandard bells-and-whistles because it demonstrates your subjectivity.

All posts about how Birdseye, ultrasonic, etc. are unecessary....they are all just sadly an effort at justifying Tesla's inadequacy. If people are such awesome drivers so as not to need the extras, we'll no one makes you use them. Having additional aides to help all drivers, regardless of skills, makes for the safest cars. Many other car brands have created valuable features to help in this area. Don't justify Tesla's substandard bells-and-whistles because it demonstrates your subjectivity.
What you really are saying is that driving is too difficult a task for many people and they shouldn’t actually have a driver’s license. Agreed!

Where are they going?
It's 12 days before the end of the quarter, don't think they will be delivered in time. But we could have a very strong first month of Q3.

Sawyer wrote "CA" which is the country code for Canada. Bradford Ferguson confirmed.

Sawyer Merritt on Twitter: "NEWS: A batch of CA marked Teslas is preparing for export from Shanghai South Port - @bentv_sh Video: 【TESLA】A batch of CA marked Tesla is about to depart ༄༅ Tesla has no export period? ༄༅ 4K https://t.co/aMmTVHTHwl" / Twitter

Bradford Ferguson on Twitter: "Tesla is giving the backdoor treatment to 🇨🇦 These Teslas look like 300 Spartans lined up in formation 📸wuwa https://t.co/KRxsR52jkF" / Twitter​

【TESLA】A batch of CA marked Tesla is about to depart ༄༅ Tesla has no export period? ༄༅ 4K | Wu Wa (10 hrs ago)