Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yah...I was going for ONLY the road trip argument, where those few vocal weirdos talk about their mythical 1000 mile trips with the fewest and shortest possible gas stops.

I can't lie, I love big drives. You see, I'm one of those mythical people. (the voices in my head say I'm three of those people) 🤨

For four or five decades when I was employed I thought nothing of driving ten to fifteen hours in a day to spend more of my vacation time at the destination. There have been a couple of instances where I have driven for longer than 24 hours in a stretch. Once in a car and once on a motorcycle. I regretted both of those trips But, these nice, short 800-1000 mile jaunts are quite comfortable for me. Yes, I tend to travel alone on these runs.

On most of the stops it is just fill and go. Maybe a short restroom break every other fuel stop. At such a stop, I'll start the pump, lock the car, go in the store to refill a travel cup, and may hit the bathroom. Then, back to the car, remove the nozzle and go. Usually well under ten minutes. Easy peasy.

Probably will stop for longer maybe twice on a trip like that for a light meal at a place with table service. Rarely longer than half an hour, including fuel at one place and a meal at another.

I know it isn't for everybody, but this is my preference when I travel solo. I'll plan all my stops ahead of time, even the restaurants, and often already have made meal choices from an online menu before starting the trip.

Still waiting for the Supercharger network to expand into the small towns I usually go through. as I avoid interstate highways. The rural routes aren't built out with charging to cover my favorites, so, no Tesla for me yet. This charging shortcoming for my road trips plays a big part in when I'll finally buy a Tesla. Well, that and the stock price, of course.

Once I have a Tesla I'll have to take it easier on these trips to accommodate the longer stops to charge, which will add a couple of hours to the overall trip. This will likely result in making an overnight stop I wouldn't usually have done. But, I'm retired now, so I've got time, though the challenge of efficient road-tripping is deeply ingrained into my psyche.

Driving for long distances across the Southwest US is scenic and relaxing for me.

Last edited:
I can't lie, I love big drives. You see, I'm one of those mythical people. (the voices in my head say I'm three of those people) 🤨

For four or five decades when I was employed I thought nothing of driving ten to fifteen hours in a day to spend more of my vacation time at the destination. There have been a couple of instances where I have driven for longer than 24 hours in a stretch. Once in a car and once on a motorcycle. I regretted both of those trips But, these nice, short 800-1000 mile jaunts are quite comfortable for me. Yes, I tend to travel alone on these runs.

On most of the stops it is just fill and go. Maybe a short restroom break every other fuel stop. At such a stop, I'll start the pump, lock the car, go in the store to refill a travel cup, and may hit the bathroom. Then, back to the car, remove the nozzle and go. Usually well under ten minutes. Easy peasy.

Probably will stop for longer maybe twice on a trip like that for a light meal at a place with table service. Rarely longer than half an hour, including fuel at one place and a meal at another.

I know it isn't for everybody, but this is my preference when I travel solo. I'll plan all my stops ahead of time, even the restaurants, and often already have made meal choices from an online menu before starting the trip.

Still waiting for the Supercharger network to expand into the small towns I usually go through. as I avoid interstate highways. The rural routes aren't built out with charging to cover my favorites, so, no Tesla for me yet. This charging shortcoming for my road trips plays a big part in when I'll finally buy a Tesla. Well, that and the stock price, of course.

Once I have a Tesla I'll have to take it easier on these trips to accommodate the longer stops to charge, which will add a couple of hours to the overall trip. This will likely result in making an overnight stop I wouldn't usually have done. But, I'm retired now, so I've got time, though the challenge of efficient road-tripping is deeply ingrained into my psyche.

Driving for long distances across the Southwest US is scenic and relaxing for me.
Unfortunately for many of us, when our age gets into the retirement range, the need for more frequent pee breaks increases, making those more frequent charging stops quite welcome.

Can't lock fuel pumps used by cars in UK, can for diesel trucks (aka semis, HGVs, lorries). Another advantage of EVs. Unsure of Rest of Europe (RoE) and Rest of World (RoW).

Often UK pumps have part of the locking mechanism because handle suppliers are global but it's disabled in UK. At motorway services (rest/refuel areas), toilets & food are usually before the fuel area, so you have to park up, get food, fuel, coffee/tea, marshal everyone on a family trip and then go to smelly fuel area after you've just eaten (unpleasant, sickening for many).

Superchargers with facilities are much better. Family can head off to shops/toilets, one person plugs in the car in a few seconds and joins them. Not all Superchargers have 24 hour facilities, some are less convenient, but overall a much better experience with EVs. I've been caught out once when I didn't realise the Superchargers were at a Tesla "shop" and they'd just closed. No biggie, other places nearby but we couldn't multi-task.

Tesla/Elon - I know you're reading this... see if you can ensure areas feel safe, lighting, cameras and some kind of 24 hour toilets. I think this is useful for everyone, but especially, it will encourage more female drivers who are currently under represented in stats reported in media (whether true is another question, I've seen a majority of female Tesla drivers on my last 2 biggish drives - admittedly daytime).

Last edited:
I can't lie, I love big drives. You see, I'm one of those mythical people... But, these nice, short 800-1000 mile jaunts are quite comfortable for me. Yes, I tend to travel alone on these runs.

Iron Butt Challenge. :D My PB is Ottawa, ON to Brandon, MB (2,500km in 20 hrs; Mod.260Z)

Iron Butt Challenge.jpg

Cheers to the Road Warriors!

Not sure I see the logic in shutting down a 5k+ a week model Y line in Fremont, when they are already ramping model Y production in texas as fast as they possibly can…?
Unless cell supply is the limiting factor ?

If cell supply is less than the (current unused potential) Austin Y assembly line rate then it is possible to shut the Fremont Y line for redevelopment, and not affect total Y vehicle production rate at this time.

That's an interesting tweet, and an interesting rumour regarding the Fremon Y line, and slight further circumstantial evidence that the 4680 rate is not coming along as fast as hoped for.

(Thanks for those replies re gas station law in Oregon and NJ, most informative. But that doesn't answer the question re needing to pull up at pumps in other US states (where self-service is allowed) , go into the cashier to prove we have a credit card, then go back outside and start refuelling. Maddeningly inefficient from both the consumer's viewpoint, and the viewpoint of pump utlistation. And not how the rest of the world does it, at least not in the overwhelming majority of countries where self-service is the norm.)

Last edited:
Also, how will China, Europe, Australia and the ROW come to terms with their inferior charging standard. It is only a matter of time before those dominos start to fall "Comin' down like Dow Jones".

IANAE. But from what I've heard the CCS2 beats NACS when on A/C since it supports 3 phase charging. Which put simply is faster.

My home has a lowish main fuse. Which limits my charging speed at home. But having 3 phases helps me get the most out of the few amps I can dedicate to the EV charger. That is - my smart charger use 3 phases when they are available - but only 2 when ie the washing machine is running or other heavy loads.

But like I said - I'm not an Electrician.

Personally I am retired and don't commute by car any more. So NACS would be just fine. And I would love the lower weight. But my still working friend need all the electrons he can get.

Can't lock fuel pumps used by cars in UK, can for diesel trucks (aka semis, HGVs, lorries). Another advantage of EVs. Unsure of Rest of Europe (RoE) and Rest of World (RoW).

Often UK pumps have part of the locking mechanism because handle suppliers are global but it's disabled in UK. At motorway services (rest/refuel areas), toilets & food are usually before the fuel area, so you have to park up, get food, fuel, coffee/tea, marshal everyone on a family trip and then go to smelly fuel area after you've just eaten (unpleasant, sickening for many).

Superchargers with facilities are much better. Family can head off to shops/toilets, one person plugs in the car in a few seconds and joins them. Not all Superchargers have 24 hour facilities, some are less convenient, but overall a much better experience with EVs. I've been caught out once when I didn't realise the Superchargers were at a Tesla "shop" and they'd just closed. No biggie, other places nearby but we couldn't multi-task.

Tesla/Elon - I know you're reading this... see if you can ensure areas feel safe, lighting, cameras and some kind of 24 hour toilets. I think this is useful for everyone, but especially, it will encourage more female drivers who are currently under represented in stats reported in media (whether true is another question, I've seen a majority of female Tesla drivers on my last 2 biggish drives - admittedly daytime).
Agreed, but the issue is that Tesla is at the mercy of the property owner, so they can't always choose an ideal location. Having a location, almost any location, is better than having no location.

(Thanks for those replies re gas station law in Oregon and NJ, most informative. But that doesn't answer the question re needing to pull up at pumps in other US states (where self-service is allowed) , go into the cashier to prove we have a credit card, then go back outside and start refuelling. Maddeningly inefficient from both the consumer's viewpoint, and the viewpoint of pump utlistation. And not how the rest of the world does it, at least not in the overwhelming majority of countries where self-service is the norm.)
Every US gas pump has a debit/credit card reader. No need to go inside unless you are paying cash.

They didn't really abolish it, they just modified it. The law will still require attendants to cover half of the open pumps, while the other half can be self-serve. (They can't charge more for the staffed pumps, so you don't even get a discount for pumping it yourself.) But I don't think it requires any gas stations to stop having attendants, and if they have to have them for half, they can just keep them for all. We will see what actually happens.

It hasn't been signed by the Governor yet, though I don't expect them to veto it.
Still ridiculous. OR legislature must figure their citizens aren't as capable as those in 48 of the 50 states. Wonder when they will mandate the same for EV charging stations? Really SUCKS in smaller, rural towns. When the gas station closes, the pumps are down-you can't fill using a card reader like normal ones. Something to be aware of for those traveling there-you might end up with an unplanned overnight stay..

Iron Butt Challenge. :D My PB is Ottawa, ON to Brandon, MB (2,500km in 20 hrs; Mod.260Z)

View attachment 951722

Can't say I've done a true Iron Butt (1000 mi in 24 hrs). Lots of 800 mile days. Quick stops every 200 miles, hit the pump without getting off the bike, longer break every other stop. I like the 7 gallon tank on my K1600GTLE, good for about 280 miles, a little less if speeds creep up around 90. Hitting Sturgis and Idaho this year.

View attachment 951722

Impressive. That is carrying a lot of speed for a lot of miles.

Longest is 1187 miles (1910 km) in 24 for me. Never had any desire to submit receipts to Iron Butt for their certificate. I just like riding.

Now ride eMTB rather than Moto, but might get back into it when the electrics offer something with some range.

It's too bad that Elon had a negative experience with motorcycles as Tesla would have made a fine one.

Every US gas pump has a debit/credit card reader. No need to go inside unless you are paying cash.
As long as the card reader is working. Which in the story he was looking at the card reader wasn't working. And the receipt printer wasn't working either, requiring another trip inside. I can't say I miss the days of dealing with all of that crap.

The only time I have needed to go inside is to pay using cash, or, if there were some malfunction with the card reader on the pump (and I'm more likely just to move to another pump).

I would imagine the scenario you describe is as rare in the US as it is for you.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Not sure if folks here have come to this realization yet, but Tesla AGI (in the form of a large-language model) will allow Tesla Service to use fleet data to remotely PROBLEM SOLVE while repairing your car. Mechanics will not longer be paid for head & butt scratching time as they try to figure out what needs doing; the Service Workorder from the AGI will tell them what's wrong, and how to fix it. DOJO Power! THIS.IS.HUGE.

Here's just a taste of what I mean in this video: :D

Can ChatGPT Diagnose this Car? | Chevy Trax P0171, P1101, P0420

The only time I have needed to go inside is to pay using cash, or, if there were some malfunction with the card reader on the pump (and I'm more likely just to move to another pump).

I would imagine the scenario you describe is as rare in the US as it is for you.
It used to be the norm when out of state (at one time I lived in MA), especially in hire cars. All over USA. Maybe things have changed in the last few years - I've not been in the US since just before Covid.

I can assure you it is a very different experience than around self-service land which is much of Europe, where no pre-authorisation is required. Just lift the pump and tank the car, then pay. (some of the lower labour cost countries in the south of Europe tend to be attended service).

Anyway, back to Tesla.