Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IANAE. But from what I've heard the CCS2 beats NACS when on A/C since it supports 3 phase charging. Which put simply is faster.

My home has a lowish main fuse. Which limits my charging speed at home. But having 3 phases helps me get the most out of the few amps I can dedicate to the EV charger. That is - my smart charger use 3 phases when they are available - but only 2 when ie the washing machine is running or other heavy loads.

But like I said - I'm not an Electrician.

Personally I am retired and don't commute by car any more. So NACS would be just fine. And I would love the lower weight. But my still working friend need all the electrons he can get.
for most use cases, single phase home charging is more than ample for an overnight charge.

We have two EV's (My model 3 and my wife's Peugeot e208 EV), I have one home charger, single phase, restrict charges to a 4 hour window overnight that offers me discounted charges, and that is still fine for us!

I can't lie, I love big drives. You see, I'm one of those mythical people. (the voices in my head say I'm three of those people) 🤨

For four or five decades when I was employed I thought nothing of driving ten to fifteen hours in a day to spend more of my vacation time at the destination. There have been a couple of instances where I have driven for longer than 24 hours in a stretch. Once in a car and once on a motorcycle. I regretted both of those trips But, these nice, short 800-1000 mile jaunts are quite comfortable for me. Yes, I tend to travel alone on these runs.

On most of the stops it is just fill and go. Maybe a short restroom break every other fuel stop. At such a stop, I'll start the pump, lock the car, go in the store to refill a travel cup, and may hit the bathroom. Then, back to the car, remove the nozzle and go. Usually well under ten minutes. Easy peasy.

Probably will stop for longer maybe twice on a trip like that for a light meal at a place with table service. Rarely longer than half an hour, including fuel at one place and a meal at another.

I know it isn't for everybody, but this is my preference when I travel solo. I'll plan all my stops ahead of time, even the restaurants, and often already have made meal choices from an online menu before starting the trip.

Still waiting for the Supercharger network to expand into the small towns I usually go through. as I avoid interstate highways. The rural routes aren't built out with charging to cover my favorites, so, no Tesla for me yet. This charging shortcoming for my road trips plays a big part in when I'll finally buy a Tesla. Well, that and the stock price, of course.

Once I have a Tesla I'll have to take it easier on these trips to accommodate the longer stops to charge, which will add a couple of hours to the overall trip. This will likely result in making an overnight stop I wouldn't usually have done. But, I'm retired now, so I've got time, though the challenge of efficient road-tripping is deeply ingrained into my psyche.

Driving for long distances across the Southwest US is scenic and relaxing for me.
Yeah, that’s not how it’s going to work. With the early superchargers, sure.

But now you’ll choose the new Superchargers whenever you’re in a hurry and you won’t charge to 100% and instead of thinking ‘what an inefficient use of travel time’ you’ll try and sit down for that light meal and the car will be sending you msgs it’s done before they drop the plate in front of you - so call ahead. Indeed, don’t get constipated at any point because you won’t even have time to unplug yourself and the car will be ready to roll.

Almost two years ago I was commenting how my car was charging too fast now and I no longer was able to sit down for a meal and barely had enough time to use a restroom and get a drink and the car was ready to continue.

Additionally, many people who tended to travel like you suddenly had an epiphany about how travel could be even more pleasant if they stopped to smell the roses. Your transition will be quick and painless. The car and the experience it gives changes people at their core. I know people who hated commuting to work because of traffic. In a Tesla, though, they quickly learned to love the alone time because the car took away the stress. People go sit in their cars in their garages for quiet, to destress, play games, listen to music, to cool off or get warm when the power is out.

You have a preconceived notion of how you’ll travel in a Tesla. I’m tellingly you, it won’t work that way.

Lastly, keep in mind that tomorrow may never come. So choose wisely.

So week or so ago posts had the European countries that report daily really looking like Q2 would be less than Q1. Well here are updates. As reported now Q2 is 1933 short of Q1. Norway has 2+ days to report left. Sweden has 3, Netherlands 4, Spain 3 and Denmark 3. If they average what they have all month long Q2 will come in 840 short of Q1. Still things are trending better. All countries have been reporting better then daily average the last few days. Hell Norway has done close to 400 today so far and the average for the month is 115.
Updated as of 851CST
Q2 1161 short of Q1
If countries averages continue at June levels will end up 446 units short of Q1
All daily reporting countries last reported day above June average

Sweden and Spain have 2 days left
Norway and Denmark have tomorrow and continued reporting of todays results.
Netherlands has 3 days left

Updated as of 851CST
Q2 1161 short of Q1
If countries averages continue at June levels will end up 446 units short of Q1
All daily reporting countries last reported day above June average

Sweden and Spain have 2 days left
Norway and Denmark have tomorrow and continued reporting of todays results.
Netherlands has 3 days left
Can you just summarize; is there a demand problem or is there not?

The only time I have needed to go inside is to pay using cash, or, if there were some malfunction with the card reader on the pump (and I'm more likely just to move to another pump).

I would imagine the scenario you describe is as rare in the US as it is for you.
Where we are one has to go inside to pay…cause that’s where the blueberry bran muffins are. 😊. Still miss those days, and I think I was more regular. 😜.

Just sayin. 😜

Yeah, that’s not how it’s going to work. With the early superchargers, sure.

But now you’ll choose the new Superchargers whenever you’re in a hurry and you won’t charge to 100% and instead of thinking ‘what an inefficient use of travel time’ you’ll try and sit down for that light meal and the car will be sending you msgs it’s done before they drop the plate in front of you - so call ahead. Indeed, don’t get constipated at any point because you won’t even have time to unplug yourself and the car will be ready to roll.

Almost two years ago I was commenting how my car was charging too fast now and I no longer was able to sit down for a meal and barely had enough time to use a restroom and get a drink and the car was ready to continue.

Additionally, many people who tended to travel like you suddenly had an epiphany about how travel could be even more pleasant if they stopped to smell the roses. Your transition will be quick and painless. The car and the experience it gives changes people at their core. I know people who hated commuting to work because of traffic. In a Tesla, though, they quickly learned to love the alone time because the car took away the stress. People go sit in their cars in their garages for quiet, to destress, play games, listen to music, to cool off or get warm when the power is out.

You have a preconceived notion of how you’ll travel in a Tesla. I’m tellingly you, it won’t work that way.

Lastly, keep in mind that tomorrow may never come. So choose wisely.

I think you missed the part where it was mentioned how there are currently not conveniently located Superchargers on the preferred routes. I know there will be, eventually. The SC routes along the interstate system seem to add hundreds of miles, and the stress of higher traffic volume, metro traffic, etc. to the trips I take repeatedly.

In complete agreement about charging to 80%, not 100%. Also, taking into consideration how this may carry me fewer miles than I usually go after a fillup with current ICE vehicles. This will require more charging stops over the same 800-1000 miles than the current fuel stops.

Granted, charge time will continue to drop as the technology improves and I fully expect the overall experience to eventually be on par, if not better, once the SC stops are to be found at appropriate intervals on the seldom-traveled highways I enjoy using to avoid the interstate system.

Likewise, once full autonomy is available I'll not eschew the interstate highways if they are the most direct route. In my experience, they are not, at least not for the trips I repeatedly take to preferred destinations.

As for smelling the roses along the way, when I travel with the missus we do that. I can take it or leave it and find it a frustrating way to travel. Perhaps I am more destination-oriented than trip-oriented. It can be fun to see the largest ball of baling wire or some such, but I won't stop to do that a second time. For me, it takes away from enjoying the driving challenge in a way that most others may prefer to avoid. To each their own.

Will monitor for the quick and painless transition once I buy my first Tesla. Stranger things have happened to me.

For now, come on Chairs, 2daMoon!

HODL

P.S. For the record, do not mistake this for me defending ICE. Everything about legacy auto has been a lagging technological and burdensome maintenance frustration forever. I am 100% committed to EV. For a number of reasons it isn't practical for me at this time. I expect things will be in better alignment for my transition over the next year or two. The only variable is whether the first Tesla will be a Y or the CT.

For now, I have a whistle, a decanter, a branding iron, and there is some burnt hair on the way. Baby steps...

Last edited:
I think you missed the part where it was mentioned how there are currently not conveniently located Superchargers on the preferred routes. I know there will be, eventually. The SC routes along the interstate system seem to add hundreds of miles, and the stress of higher traffic volume, metro traffic, etc. to the trips I take repeatedly.

In complete agreement about charging to 80%, not 100%. Also, taking into consideration how this may carry me fewer miles than I usually go after a fillup with current ICE vehicles. This will require more charging stops over the same 800-1000 miles than the current fuel stops.

Granted, charge time will continue to drop as the technology improves and I fully expect the overall experience to eventually be on par, if not better, once the SC stops are to be found at appropriate intervals on the seldom-traveled highways I enjoy using to avoid the interstate system.

Likewise, once full autonomy is available I'll not eschew the interstate highways if they are the most direct route. In my experience, they are not, at least not for the trips I repeatedly take to preferred destinations.

As for smelling the roses along the way, when I travel with the missus we do that. I can take it or leave it and find it a frustrating way to travel. Perhaps I am more destination-oriented than trip-oriented. It can be fun to see the largest ball of baling wire or some such, but I won't stop to do that a second time. For me, it takes away from enjoying the driving challenge in a way that most others may prefer to avoid. To each their own.

Will monitor for the quick and painless transition once I buy my first Tesla. Stranger things have happened to me.

For now, come on Chairs, 2daMoon!

HODL

P.S. For the record, do not mistake this for me defending ICE. Everything about legacy auto has been a lagging technological and burdensome maintenance frustration forever. I am 100% committed to EV. For a number of reasons it isn't practical for me at this time. I expect things will be in better alignment for my transition over the next year or two. The only variable is whether the first Tesla will be a Y or the CT.

For now, I have a whistle, a decanter, a branding iron, and there is some burnt hair on the way. Baby steps...
Uh....

The best thing you can do for your TSLA investment is to drive a Tesla.

There is literally nothing you can compare it to in the ice world if you don't drive a spaceship everyday.

This is financial advice!

Every US gas pump has a debit/credit card reader. No need to go inside unless you are paying cash.
I'll correct that to say: "Every US gas pump *should* have a debit/credit card reader, because there should be no need to go inside unless you are paying cash."

I'm in California, and two of the gas stations I previously used for commuting still don't have card readers at the pumps. Granted, I live in a smallish mountain town (6000 people) and my commute takes me through a smallish desert town (12000 people). In my town there is one independent gas station, and there are no credit card readers at the pumps. In the desert town, there are two gas stations: one small/independent "Dairy" shop with no card readers on the pumps, and a second, brand name station that does have card readers, but is notably more expensive. Along my commute, on the more highly traveled roads, there are a few other brand name stations that of course have card readers...but those are also generally more expensive too. Many of those also charge an extra 10-20 cents per gallon for using a credit card, which provides motivation for some folks to go inside to pay cash. ((Perhaps those people could benefit from the credit cards that offer 3-5% cash back on the $5/gallon gas.))

I assume the reason for not upgrading the pumps at those two stations is some mixture of the cost to do so, and the desire to get people inside to tempt them to buy something from the convenience shop. Part of me hopes that these small town gas station owners might also be thinking: "why pay to upgrade these pumps, when usage is going to drop and drop as Tesla (and other EV's) take off?!?"

I'll correct that to say: "Every US gas pump *should* have a debit/credit card reader, because there should be no need to go inside unless you are paying cash."

I'm in California, and two of the gas stations I previously used for commuting still don't have card readers at the pumps. Granted, I live in a smallish mountain town (6000 people) and my commute takes me through a smallish desert town (12000 people). In my town there is one independent gas station, and there are no credit card readers at the pumps. In the desert town, there are two gas stations: one small/independent "Dairy" shop with no card readers on the pumps, and a second, brand name station that does have card readers, but is notably more expensive. Along my commute, on the more highly traveled roads, there are a few other brand name stations that of course have card readers...but those are also generally more expensive too. Many of those also charge an extra 10-20 cents per gallon for using a credit card, which provides motivation for some folks to go inside to pay cash. ((Perhaps those people could benefit from the credit cards that offer 3-5% cash back on the $5/gallon gas.))

I assume the reason for not upgrading the pumps at those two stations is some mixture of the cost to do so, and the desire to get people inside to tempt them to buy something from the convenience shop. Part of me hopes that these small town gas station owners might also be thinking: "why pay to upgrade these pumps, when usage is going to drop and drop as Tesla (and other EV's) take off?!?"
Hey...at least there is little to no chance of CC fraud in your town :cool: