Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The schism be may be that the exoskeleton is not the final layer of the structure.

Elon at reveal:
Design differentiation:
"This is the fundamental design change where we move the mass to the outside. We created an exoskeleton. So normally, the way that a truck is designed you have a body on frame. You have a bed on frame. And the body and the bed don't do anything useful. They're carried like cargo like a sack of potatoes. "

Load path using the bed and cabin:
Screenshot_20230717_071225_Firefox.jpg

Analogy:
"It was the way that aircraft used to be designed when they had biplanes basically. The key to creating an effective monoplane was a stressed skin design. You move the stress to the outside skin. "

Implementation:
"It allows you to do things that you can't do with a body on frame. So we're able to make the skin out of thick ultra hard stainless steel"

Yes, he used skin twice back to back, but I say it's in different contexts: "we're able" not "we made". With a ladder frame, what would happen to rigid planar sheet metal under chassis torque? Either it would be ripped loose (didn't yeild), oilcan (flex), or crease/ oilcan (yeild).
The rigid exoskeleton enables a rigid beauty surface. Additionally, If this were a normal monocoque, any dents/ creases could severely undermine the vehicle structure.

No ladder, no spine, no problem. Here is the exoskeleton:
F0_7wGwaAAIMbZb.jpg

The doors can't be static load elements (questionable for dynamic also), so the majority of the central cabin structure was never based on the stainless outer skin.

SmartSelect_20230716_101342_Firefox.jpg

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, follow me at
Investor Engineering Discussions

And let me know where you think the hitch attaches (rear subframe? )

Cool looking marketing campaign by Tesla Europe just launched: Electric Summer | Tesla Other Europe

From scenic drives to drive-in cinemas, join us to celebrate 10 years of Supercharging in Europe. Everyone is welcome.

Scenic Drive​

Experience our latest features on scenic routes across Europe and learn how to charge on the road

Drive-In Cinema​

After the sun sets, watch a sci-fi classic from the comfort of your car at one of our outdoor cinemas

Family Activities​

Visit our bouncy castle locations and play in-car games or sing Caraoke with your entire family

GM doesn't have the battery supply to build Blazar (or Silverado) in volume. It's a compliance car, wrapped in a marketing campaign, inside an enima.
GM wishes it had Ultium volume up to the levels needed for compliance. It's made enough Bolts for this year and a bit, but now needs the new vehicles to get production high enough to take over.

Elon at reveal:
Design differentiation:
"This is the fundamental design change where we move the mass to the outside.

Thanks for digging that up. Franz also said something highly relevant to the Cybertruck design in a recent podcast appearance. 'Conventional trucks put the strongest materials on the inside and the weakest materials on the outside, we are doing the opposite'.

That's why CT will be much more durable as a work truck than conventional Detroit designs. The hardest part of the CT is the skin, which is literally the first layer of protection against damage and the elements.

Imma call that an 'exoskeleton', 'cuz we need a label, right? ;)

Cheers!

Threads of the day:
Tesla Energy and utility scale projects Charge on solar release
Launch is Imminent Cybertruck chat
Near-future quarterly financial projections 2.5 days to earnings

Because you all like a razor:

Who said moats weren't important:

More Cybertruck chassis pics:
That thing is built like a tank! Drive it off a cliff, and drive it away at the bottom.

There is a chance that recent weather events not just in the US but around the world will slightly influence the stock price. The global climate is in meltdown, and even the most cynical investor is going to know that means that governments, as well as individuals are going to see that as good cause to push faster and further when it comes to decarbonisation and the phase out of fossil fuel vehicles.
No US company will benefit more from this than Tesla.

I know even if I was neutral on climate change, If I was a fund manager I'd see current headlines as evidence that the IRA is here to stay, and may even be beefed up, that even a trump presidency is unlikely to have political cover to row back on it, and this all feeds into more profit for TSLA.

I think it might be a good week. I think margins will dissapoint for Q2, but recover in Q3 with multiple ramp-ups and cost-savings. I do think that good news on Cybertruck progress plus climate-change awareness will combine to compensate for a margin miss, or even an earnings miss.

I still expect $300 at some point, maybe Q3, hopefully $350 by year end. If FSD or cybertruck surprises, or semi starts proper production, that could be lowballing it?

Ford stock falls after prices of F-150 Lightning EVs cut by up to 17% on lowest priced model​

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the lowest price Pro model dropped 16.6% to $49,995 from $59,974, for the XLT 311A fell 14.7% to $54,995, for the Lariat 510A declined 7.1% to $69,995 and for the Platinum Extended Range slipped 6.2% to $91,995. The price cuts come electric vehicle giant Tesla Inc.’s TSLA price cuts led to a blowout second-quarter deliveries report.

Ford stock falls after prices of F-150 Lightning EVs cut by up to 17% on lowest priced model​

The manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for the lowest price Pro model dropped 16.6% to $49,995 from $59,974, for the XLT 311A fell 14.7% to $54,995, for the Lariat 510A declined 7.1% to $69,995 and for the Platinum Extended Range slipped 6.2% to $91,995. The price cuts come electric vehicle giant Tesla Inc.’s TSLA price cuts led to a blowout second-quarter deliveries report.

Interesting...someone should have told them to advertise instead of lowering prices.

I've only been investing in TSLA for a decade so hoping someone can help me out on this. If margins start negative and then you significantly cut prices, how does that affect margins? Do they go positive? Asking for a friend.