Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to avoid this going wide. My only reply is purchasing not red states being willing to compete for factories.

50% of Democrats interested in EVs, 26% Republican, 27% Independents.

Details MATTER. That 50% Dem has been pretty constant. The Rep and Ind have gone up DRASTICALLY.

Anecdotal, but I have an expat Scottish buddy who worked on offshore oil rigs and drives the latest and greatest Ford Raptor with all the bells and whistles. This truck comes at a serious premium here in Thailand. He's crawling out of his skin for a top end CT. Think about that. This guy owes both his livelihood and retirement to the fossil fuel industry and he can't wait to own a CT when they finally come to Thailand. 'Nuff said.
Sounds like his wife has got a 'Highlander'

Dont say it, show it.

Clearly you didn't read the article I posted earlier. Which had the original WaPo article with the numbers.

For the lazy:

Those in the middle and on the right aren't as likely to buy an auto for purely political (hate Elon) or altruistic reasons (save the planet). The way to appeal to those groups, is through lowered costs (both up-front and running). Literally, the two articles I posted say as much through their surveys and quotes from buyers in conservative areas.

Funny how Ford's earnings and guidance is actually leading to a notable shift in coverage for Tesla. The combination of Ford acknowledging they won't hit their goals for EV production for 2023, they won't even off a timeline anymore for when they'll hit a run rate of 1 million EV's annually, and that their expected losses for their EV business are actually going to be 50% higher than they projected just last quarter is making Tesla's lead that much more harder to ignore.

Thanks Ford!

Funny how Ford's earnings and guidance is actually leading to a notable shift in coverage for Tesla. The combination of Ford acknowledging they won't hit their goals for EV production for 2023, they won't even off a timeline anymore for when they'll hit a run rate of 1 million EV's annually, and that their expected losses for their EV business are actually going to be 50% higher than they projected just last quarter is making Tesla's lead that much more harder to ignore.

Thanks Ford!
"WE" all knew this was going to happen: GM blaming supply chain, Ford unable to ramp/be profitable due to incompetent software/EV manufacturing/margins. It's just Ludacris to see how "THEY" keep saying competition is coming, Tesla's lead is shrinking, demand problem for EV's, margin's shrinking are eating into Tesla's growth story. Tesla is a 'busted growth story' and should be worth $24/share at best :)

Last edited:
Clearly you didn't read the article I posted earlier. Which had the original WaPo article with the numbers.

For the lazy:

Those in the middle and on the right aren't as likely to buy an auto for purely political (hate Elon) or altruistic reasons (save the planet). The way to appeal to those groups, is through lowered costs (both up-front and running). Literally, the two articles I posted say as much through their surveys and quotes from buyers in conservative areas.
Seems to be working in Texas despite the legislators' attempts to derail BEV sales with punishing tax increases. I see more Teslas than ever.

"WE" all knew this was going to happen: GM blaming supply chain, Ford unable to ramp/be profitable due to incompetent software/EV manufacturing/margins. It's just Ludacris to see how "THEY" keep saying competition is coming, Tesla's lead is shrinking, demand problem for EV's, margin's shrinking are eating into Tesla's growth story. Tesla is a 'busted growth story' and should be worth $24/share at best :)
If the USA, EU, and Japanese dino-juice OEMs all drop by the wayside then it pretty much leaves just the Chinese and Tesla, which may slow things down slightly in global terms.

From an overall societal perspective this is a race that will go fastest when the maximum amount of global manufacturing (and political) capital can be crowded-in to the BEV corner.

If Ford, GM, VAG, Toyota et al are at some point going to give up and go bankrupt as a result of their failure to achieve the changes required to cross their own business chasms, then (ideally) society is best served by them first putting the maximum amount of their capital into the BEV efforts, so that at least someone else can pick up any decent BEV assets cheap in the bankruptcy sale.

We want these horses to die trying the BEV-race, not quit.

(But if they do quit, then they'll definitely get taken to the knacker's yard fairly soon thereafter as it is game-over by 2030).

And if they try hard enough then they may survive.

1690573030163.png

1690573136587.png

Correction: "People might have been able to *reasonably* claim a cult of personality some years ago, but Tesla is too mainstream now.

Check the comments under Tesla News/Blog/etc. stories. I really enjoy the sites Jalopnik and Arstechnica, but the authors and the commentors there still really buy into the cult/fanboy narrative and are clearly biased against Tesla, Elon, and often even SpaceX. There are way more commenters saying they're "here before the weird Tesla nerds" than there are neutral or pro Tesla/Elon comments...and anybody that comments with logic or points out factual errors in the article is attacked. In a way, there's an anti-personality-cult that is much bigger than the supposed personality cult, and they don't seem to realize it.
Elon has character traits that scream "fraudster." My initial take on him was that he was a promoter and would fail eventually. We're wired for pattern recognition and Elon fits those patterns in some ways. Once that analysis is made, it's very hard for people to change their minds. For me, what changed my mind was an analysis of Tesla's competitive advantages. I looked at each business function and realized they weren't better in a few things, they were better at everything.

Edit: The reason I mention this is to help explain why so many investors don't trust him. He is still not well regarded on the value investor board I visit.

Last edited:
Any vehicle that allows for cargo up to the roof line to be inserted in the back, to me, is a hatchback. YMMV That is a factor I look for in vehicles, whether it be a Ford Focus or a Jeep Cherokee, the utility of that hatch in the back is something I appreciate.

As for the speculation, that wasn't me. I have no expectation of the M3 being made into a hatch. That vehicle, which can be exported to Latin America, the EU, and Asia is coming, from Mexico.
You can define it anyway you want, along with everyone else here. Discussion of such, though, becomes impossible when nobody actually agrees on the definition.

I acknowledged the usefulness for people in my very first post and I didn’t say you (specifically) were speculating.