Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at Lathrop, once Tesla can source the cells assembling them into energy storage batteries is not as complex as making cars, and factories can ramp fast on fairly low capex.

So the real question becomes how many cells can Tesla source from companies like BYD, CATL, Panasonic and LG, and how many 4680 cells can they make.

BYD and CATL already have their own energy storage products, if Panasonic and LG don't yet have energy storage products they soon will.

The company making the batteries will intend to make the same margin on the cells whether they use them in their own product or sell them to Tesla.

IMO there is no question that Tesla being 100% dependent on external cell suppliers for energy storage products will slow them down, will reduce market share and margins.

The edge Tesla currently may have is software like Autobidder, but any large battery supplier that doesn't have software like than can develop it.

The good news and the critical part of the puzzle IMO is 4680 cell production, Tesla can hopefully scale rapidly with efficient capex, provided they can source the raw materials.

This is why I have suggested that 4680 cell production and energy storage battery manufacture might be a good way to start in many countries.
We've been hearing for years that when auto battery packs are n o longer serviceable for cars, they could be repackaged to provide general energy storage--for homes for example. might this be an alternative to "grind-up" recycling?

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I posted this in the 'Options - Be the House' thread, but I thought this is interesting to share here too.
Spot any similarities?

1692756111688.png

I just tell the story about the Prius. When launched, the media and pundits said replacement cost would be $10,000 but by the time batteries actually required replacement they were $3,000 installed.
I'd venture to say that the Prius battery replacement still seems very pricey, and probably scares many people off of electric cars

I believe the Prius battery is only something like 1.5 kWh. People know it's just a hybrid and can't drive far (if at all) on the battery alone. Honestly, I think Toyota is price gauging on their replacement cost...but imagine an uninformed person guessing at the replacement cost for an 80 kWh Tesla battery when the 1.5 kWh Prius battery is $3000!

There's also plenty of news articles noting a roughly $20K price to replace a Model S battery out of warranty, which seems high. Potential customers don't really know how long the battery will last beyond the 8 year warranty or how many are being replaced, and it's hard to find any reliable data on that...probably in part because even the oldest Model S is still only 11 years old. But, if Tesla can work on lowering the battery replacement cost and making that fact known, it will do much benefit for the entire new and used EV market.

We've been hearing for years that when auto battery packs are n o longer serviceable for cars, they could be repackaged to provide general energy storage--for homes for example. might this be an alternative to "grind-up" recycling?
Single crystal high nickel packs and LFP packs can potentially outlast the car, though a better use may be to support V2G during the life of the car.

I'm not 100% sure, but my recollection is the Dendrites can be an issue in older NMC/NCA packs and it might be safer to recycle them at end of life.

I think we will get some reuse of packs, but not enough to make a dent in the steep ramp of energy storage batteries that is required.

My view is that because older batteries have reduced capacity and life, the cost of processing, testing and repackaging would be too high for small scale storage.

There is a company that's taking EV batteries whole and hooking them up together as a grid storage battery. I think that kind of simplicity and scale is what's needed.

(Market is closed) I enjoy looking at renders as much as the rest of you, but why do these 3d artists think Tesla has suddenly become able to make curved stainless steel vehicles? They haven't. Stainless steel is super strong. Curved/stamped stainless steel wears out the stamping dies super-quick and is not profitable. The Cybertruck is made from flat pieces of steel. Even the holes where the door handles were on the prototype got removed in an optimisation. Stainless steel is difficult to manufacture vehicles with

It wouldn't be another origami-folded flat-plate body, it'd be stainless steel metal-foam:

Metal foam | Artful Dodger on TMC​

It's a technology likely for the 2030's but it's the only realistic way to single-shot cast an entire car body producing a smoothly curved shape, (rather than just the f/r subframes like Model Y/Highland).

Cheers!

Yah it’s pretty good on the highway. But in the city it hasn’t moved the needle much in the last two years as far as improvements go. Until it gets cities figured out it’s not really a big deal in my opinion.

Jmho.
”Hasn’t moved the needle much in the last two years”

….right 🙄

Do you actually remember what the functionality of FSD was two years ago?

”Hasn’t moved the needle much in the last two years”

….right 🙄

Do you actually remember what the functionality of FSD was two years ago?
Yah 2 years might be a stretch.

But I remember it 18 months ago. It still fails at all the same intersections every day for us. And it has reverted to stopping on the railway tracks at two key intersections in town.

But yah. From what I can gather from others on this forum it works pretty good for some. But for us it’s still very sketchy and is marginally better than it was then.

Reactions: Andy O
Last edited:
It wouldn't be another origami-folded flat-plate body, it'd be stainless steel metal-foam:

Metal foam | Artful Dodger on TMC​

It's a technology likely for the 2030's but it's the only realistic way to single-shot cast an entire car body producing a smoothly curved shape, (rather than just the f/r subframes like Model Y/Highland).

Cheers!
Yes. Tesla can always find a way to change the rules of manufacture.

I would not be surprised if they are also trying to make harder dies that last longer.

Looking at Lathrop, once Tesla can source the cells assembling them into energy storage batteries is not as complex as making cars, and factories can ramp fast on fairly low capex.

So the real question becomes how many cells can Tesla source from companies like BYD, CATL, Panasonic and LG, and how many 4680 cells can they make.

BYD and CATL already have their own energy storage products, if Panasonic and LG don't yet have energy storage products they soon will.

The company making the batteries will intend to make the same margin on the cells whether they use them in their own product or sell them to Tesla.

IMO there is no question that Tesla being 100% dependent on external cell suppliers for energy storage products will slow them down, will reduce market share and margins.

The edge Tesla currently may have is software like Autobidder, but any large battery supplier that doesn't have software like than can develop it.

The good news and the critical part of the puzzle IMO is 4680 cell production, Tesla can hopefully scale rapidly with efficient capex, provided they can source the raw materials.

This is why I have suggested that 4680 cell production and energy storage battery manufacture might be a good way to start in many countries.

LG

Panasonic

Currently Tesla have approximately 10% of the global stationary storage market, which is approximately equal in % to BYD and Sungrow (by eye on these charts). The HyperStrong, Nextera, Huawei, Fluence, Powin, KEHUA TECH and Narada players all range about 5% down to 3%. So that is about 50-60% of the global stationary storage market in the hands of the top 10 players. Looking at the charts the top 20 players (so including Nextera, SMA, Canadian Solar, etc) total about 70-80% of the market.

An important difference is that some (but definitely not all at scale) of those storage players also do solar manufacturing. So for example 2022 was 270GW of solar modules (of which Tesla installed 0.3 GW ....). Again - as always - be careful to distinguish between manufacture and install. The biggest PV module manufacturers are pure plays mind you - for example BYD at 1-2GW (I think) is a very small scale player.

And Tesla is finally starting to address this by changing its solar strategy: outsourcing install. The problem that Tesla has is that solar tiles are a deadend bet versus modules, and if Tesla drops the tiles then it is just a module reseller (intermediary) for the big (Chinese) solar manufacturers. Not really a value-add.

I don't know if Tesla needs to own the full stack. It may be that PV module manufacturing remains best addressed as a separate pure play. There are precedents - automotive and petroleum industries were absoltely interdependent, but almost entirely separate. For now it is better that Tesla get the storage + inverter + software part of the stack right as they do have a chance to remain a significant player in that area. Holding a 10% global market share of that and a top-three place would be nice. And let us be clear - Tesla is not there yet as it does not yet have a top 3 place in inverters, nor a 10% market share in them.

My thought is that it would be more costly (less automated) because each pack would need to be tested and because packs are removed from service at different SOC levels, the resulting product would be inconsistent.

I believe there were others, but these two will serve as examples of -

(1) Driving the thread Off Topic,

and far worse -

(2) committing the Logical Fallacy of "Well it didn't happen to me so your comment should be disregarded".
The original poster was the one committing your logical fallacy. I was merely pointing this out with a counter-example.

Possible reason for the premarket drop.
Insider claims Berlin is producing 4k cars per week and cannot hit 5k/week due to staff shortage.

Luckily, Tesla didn't have it's new Cybertruck get an EPA rating below what's expected, or we'd be down 50% instead of just 2.5%.

Anyone see Vinfast ($VFS) stock today? up over 100% for no reason.

Apparently, and I kid you not, it's because their official mileage estimates from the EPA came out today, and they are better than Vinfast expected them to be.

Wow, what a low bar for a 100%+ pop on the stock.

Possible reason for the premarket drop.
Insider claims Berlin is producing 4k cars per week and cannot hit 5k/week due to staff shortage.

Production issues due to lack of staff.

Which will of course be processed as lack of demand today…

In fairness to the bears, this was supposed to be well on the way to 10K per week and 500K per year. So much for beating Shanghai ramp and production.

Last edited:
A few days ago, someone pointed out this message on Tesla's website, but I didn't see any follow-up. Is there insight on why Tesla is cautioning about a likely reduction?

$7,500 Federal Tax Credit

Customers who take delivery of a qualified new Tesla and meet all federal requirements are eligible for a tax credit up to $7,500. Reductions to current federal tax credit likely after Dec 31.

Ahh, cleaning out old tech yesterday I found an actual AOL dial up modem right beside my equally ancient Apple Newton replete with Graffiti instructions and its very own dialup modem. Both bought in Menlo Park just near Anderson Chevrolet, which became the original Tesla factory, a decade later:

Somehow it seems fitting that those two became two of my most durable investments.
It seems to me that the more we understand the history and origin of TSLA the more we're likely to understand the benefit of HODL, assuming willingness to live with volatility.
An old modem that had been used to dial AOL, or an actual AOL branded modem?

Reactions: Cosmacelf