Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Luckily for you the many much worse ones apparently you’ve not experienced:

Tesla cars still find buyers. those of us who have had Teslas for a long time remember buyers paying above original price. I remember Honda Accord in 1976 when I took delivery one day and sold the car later the same day for a 25% gain, and did thebsamenwith the original Earls Court display Morgan +8. Such phenomena do exist but are ephemeral. Still they become accepted lore.

All of us Tesla owners need to be responsible adults. Resale value is a moveable feast from the vagaries of many independent factors.

Buying a new car is never, ever a perfectly rational choice.

Holders of TSLA should understand volatility.

I don't understand your post, the car with worse 5 year residual value in that list is the:

101GMC Yukon XL68.38%

My car with 11k miles after to years has a residual value in the high 40% 🤣 . People that got FSD and pay premium of paint colors and wheels have even a lower residual value.

edit: I guess there is the Mercedes in the Luxury list which is right there with me with 5 years and 50k + miles last in the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShareLofty
So they debut a new 3 in China for ASEAN and European consumption but nothing on the US Tesla page. Yet every major tech blog, Auto car mag, internet site and Youtuber is talking about it. While the majority of Tesla buyers are not tuned into the latest tech, this will be interesting test to see how many people care or not care to have the latest 3.
With how the new 3 Highland is integrating some of the stuff you see in the Model S, maybe this is actually because the 3/Y just sell much better over in Europe/Asia being smaller cars made for more compact cities and roads.

Maybe the 3 Highland and Y Juniper are intended to supplant the S/X over in Europe/Asiaand won't even come to North America? Would the 3 Highland cannibalize S sales here if it did appear with some of the features and luxury of the S at a much lower price?

No worries, I’m not responding anymore. This is beyond silly.

This is why a ton of posters have left this forum. There’s no dialogue or discussion when it comes to Tesla could be wrong on its strategy or a decision it makes. It’s just the usual people piling on anyone that disagrees to make them feel like they’re stupid. I’m done
I find your input valuable and hope you continue.

Lol man this place and the usual suspects. Already got the standard response lines

- pull up your big boy bridges
- go ahead and sell your position
- you don’t understand the mission

Please, get off your high horses. Everyone in this forum has a right to their voice and some of us have been investors just as long as you guys have. As usual, anytime someone calls out Tesla for its mess ups, they’ve suddenly forgot the mission, is fixated on short term gains, or forgotten about Tesla’s overarching goal and method for growth.

Tesla’s decision to overshadow their own product launch is stupid, dumb, and moronic.
I think as a shareholder, what Tesla did is absolutely annoying. But from a marketing perspective, I believe they are taking advantage of additional traffic the new 3 is bringing to the U.S website, just to find that it doesn't exist. So this may convert a bunch of those who are waiting for a refresh to purchase S/X. I mean the consumers love what Tesla is doing...who doesn't like cheaper products? So overshadowing is not what I would call this for Tesla's business, but definitely for shareholders hoping for just good news.

So, cutting S/X prices back to were they were pre-Covid... alrighty then. :p

P.S. The PURPOSE of the price increases was to sort orders by demand (with those willing to pay getting their cars first), since Tesla can not easily (nor quickly) change supply. You know? the FREE market?
How are Tesla's margins compared to pre-Covid?

EDIT: Apparently same or better 😮

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I honestly think this kind of exercise is futile until Tesla hit the tail end of growth. There will always be products ramping hard hurting margins. First it was the 3, then the Y, then Y+Y, then 4680, megapacks, and soon the CT, then optimus. Any kind of margins we get from earnings are essentially useless to extrapolate any kind of future trend until the dust is settled in a decade.

1693582769601.png

Zoomed in
1693582826825.png

This will come as a shock to you: Tesla is busy managing their business, not the stock price. How many times to people need to be told that Elon does not care about gambling losses in the Options market.

S/X Std Rge now appears to be a test case, pricing was introduced exactly 2 weeks ago. Sound familiar? It should. Elon told us they don't change prices everyday, but they review sales weekly and will make a change after 2 weeks if an adjustment is needed. Obviously, the lower price on the Std Rge models convinced them that they could unlock serious volume by moving the price.

So they did.

While that may be true, as an investor it's still disheartening to see Tesla repeatedly shoot itself in the foot media-wise with regards to TSLA when they do not have to do so. Some staggering of the good news with the bad news could certainly be seen as reasonable? What harm would have been done to announce the S/X price cuts early next week?

Long term none of this matters of course, but in the near term these kinds of actions could be one reason why so many institutional investors avoid buying TSLA.

First video review of drive of highland:
Its pretty glowing. He didn't mention the interior lighting, but loved the addition of the rear screen, and its bluetooth support for earbugs. With disney plus built in, I can imagine a lot of parents will LOVE this. You also have passenger aircon controls on the back screen too.

TBH what tesla have done here has surprised me. I expected a leaner, cheaper model 3, whereas what they delivered is just a BETTER model 3. I will try to reserve judgement on the stalks, but the comments in that video make it clear this is very unpopular with UK buyers.

Trying to extrapolate from what has happened, I wonder if this is a sign that they anticipate a fairly smooth release of the model 2? If they made a cheaper model 3, its a sign that they want to compete 'downmarket'. This model 3 suggests that they don't want the 3 anywhere near the budget market. They have the 2 designed, and ready to fill that slot when its rolling out of Mexico.

I've always thought highland was the smaller 2023 event compared to cybertruck. No other distractions between now and a CT delivery event. That will be the bigger game changer.

This is why a ton of posters have left this forum. There’s no dialogue or discussion when it comes to Tesla could be wrong on its strategy or a decision it makes. It’s just the usual people piling on anyone that disagrees to make them feel like they’re stupid. I’ve been here a long time and tried to be constructive member of the forum and offer informative posts while I’ve been here.

I’m done

Don't get so frustrated. There are some posters here who never ever question nor speak badly about anything Tesla does, sort of like a "Tesla Defense Force", but it's the differing opinions which add value to this thread IMHO. I'd hate to see the thread become an echo chamber, because only by acknowledging the hard (and sometimes critical) questions can we learn and even strengthen our resolve to hold this stock.

In short, grow a thicker skin Starfox! :cool:

I honestly think this kind of exercise is futile until Tesla hit the tail end of growth. There will always be products ramping hard hurting margins. First it was the 3, then the Y, then Y+Y, then 4680, megapacks, and soon the CT, then optimus. Any kind of margins we get from earnings are essentially useless to extrapolate any kind of future trend until the dust is settled in a decade.
Are you sure a decade is long enough? You think Tesla suddenly stops innovating, stops bringing new products to market, and becomes just another company trying to remain relevant and hold onto market share?

People have a hard time when they don’t know the outcome, when they don’t have control, when something is new, and they constantly want to try and compare it to something that already exists.

I believe trying to pigeon hole Tesla, its business, its future is a mistake based on their historical actions and the words and deeds of the person in charge.

This is why a ton of posters have left this forum. There’s no dialogue or discussion when it comes to Tesla could be wrong on its strategy or a decision it makes. It’s just the usual people piling on anyone that disagrees to make them feel like they’re stupid. I’ve been here a long time and tried to be constructive member of the forum and offer informative posts while I’ve been here.

I’m done

I've never been a fan of the shouting down of dissent that can occur in this thread and have stated numerous times that it only does a disservice to the forum. Never hurts to just step away for awhile when you're feeling frustrated / burnt out - hopefully we see you in the future. There are also other threads in this forum that are a little more receptive towards criticism of Tesla, though they are more focused in their scope.

I wonder if the people complaining about resale value are going into Best Buy a year after buying a TV and asking for money back.
Cars a much bigger purchase of course, often the second-biggest purchase people make. Housing might be a good comparison.

I'll play the opposite side of the coin as usual and suggest that some of the upset could have been avoided by doing something rather than adjusting MSRP way up and then way back down. People throw shade at the market adjustments from the other carmakers, or dealerships I guess, but at least people knew up front that the MSRP was the same and they were signing on to pay a ridiculous premium to get a vehicle at that time.

Different strategies, pros and cons to each

Are you sure a decade is long enough? You think Tesla suddenly stops innovating, stops bringing new products to market, and becomes just another company trying to remain relevant and hold onto market share?

People have a hard time when they don’t know the outcome, when they don’t have control, when something is new, and they constantly want to try and compare it to something that already exists.

I believe trying to pigeon hole Tesla, its business, its future is a mistake based on their historical actions and the words and deeds of the person in charge.
Once you are done tackling sustainable energy, self driving transport and human labors, there wouldn't be any other products Tesla can tap into that would bring meaningful earnings in comparison. It's like Apple's ipod...yea sure it's something but a rounding error compared to their overall product portfolio.