Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, what sensible reason could Tesla have for delaying Giga Mexico? The $25K Tesla is paramount to achieving Tesla's goal of accelerating the word's adoption of EV's. What reasons could Tesla have for purposefully delaying the production of the Gen 4 Compact platform? 🤔
There can be lots of business/financial/economic/personnel reasons. Tesla has always understood balancing business health timing, the importance of efficiencies, and the mission. It’s why Tesla survived and is thriving.

Projects have been delayed over the years for all sorts of reasons we tend to not find out about until much later; waiting on technology, running into an issue and needing to regroup and come at it a different way, supplier issues, shortage of manpower, other projects needing more attention first, a change of priority due to something unexpected happening, etc…

We’re also all well aware of how proactive Elon has been over the years when he thinks macro economics are going to change.

Just because one can’t come up with a reason for a decision, doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

I remember a time when people didn’t understand why Tesla sold Model S’s to people without carpeting. Turned out the carpet was stuck on a transport truck in Mexico because of a cartel shootout at the border crossing and Tesla needed to sell those cars to stay afloat.

I remember Tesla suddenly canceling deliveries of Model Ss and people were all up in arms. Turned out the new seats being made by the in-house supplier had failed to achieve a 5* rating and that wasn’t acceptable to Elon. Tesla had to quickly design and begin making their own seats.

I remember several delays due to supplier issues, another due to personnel shortages, another due to having to rewrite programming code because a business partner messed up, another because of a bot, another because a product was more popular than expected, another due to bureaucracy. The list is endless.

So, yeah. A million reasons why there could be a delay building GigaMexico including it simply being a business decision.

While collectively we have a lot of information, we also collectively don’t know diddly squat about what’s going on behind the scenes. I find it annoying people think they know what’s going on, especially after being historically wrong but then I’m annoyed simply at the existence of people.

More Turkey sales rumours. Claim of something in region of 7344 from mid-May to end of August (claim of total EV sales for the year of 24,000 - 18656 reported for non-Tesla EVs Jan-Aug inclusive).

Key points:
  1. Two of the best sellers (TOGG & Tesla Model Y) have only been on sale recently
  2. August EV numbers are higher than diesel sales if Tesla sales rumours are correct. That's over 6 times last August's figures and past a crucial 10% level in adoption.
  3. New car models, a lot of charging infrastructure has helped.
  4. Plus overall large car sales figures as people avoid the collapsing currency.
  5. Berlin can go full speed as Turkey can soak up any excess supply.
  6. Tesla reportedly did not expect such demand, much higher and it reportedly caught them off-guard
  7. Dodgy import IT system slowed down Tesla imports for weeks, so more could have been delivered, future delivery rate could be higher.
I also noticed that Jordan (country, not battery youtuber) has a Tesla service station and Superchargers but no stores (as listed on Find Us | Tesla and another Tesla page that lists countries - Find Us | Tesla). Ukraine has a lot of EVs - but these sales would have been counted elsewhere in Europe. I just wonder if there are more places that aren't being tracked (Brazil, North Africa, United Arab Emirates (UAE) etc). Overall I think it's only Turkey that's significant at the moment, maybe UAE. NB. Morocco, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania have Superchargers but no stores. Any Teslas used there can be visiting, used or bought new from elsewhere (Europe most likely if CCS2).

Edit: There's a belief that EVs are only for "rich" countries. There are rich in every country, often very rich in the poorest. Even so, many less rich car buyers will do the Tesla stretch in these countries.

X translation:
Electric car sales close to diesel in August ‼️

While the share of diesel automobile sales decreased to 10.82% in August, the share of 100% electric automobiles approached 8%.

At the end of 8 months, sales of electric cars increased by 5 times compared to the same period of the previous year and reached a share of 3.20% with 18,656 units.

Including Tesla, it would have reached 4.1% with 24 thousand units.

All August and January-August data are in the attached tables 👇

Last edited:
It would be kind of embarrassing for Tesla not to show their latest refreshed model at the North American International Detroit Auto Show (
Wed, 13 Sept 2023 – Mon, 25 Sept 2023) 😬

BTW, an apt oxymoron name for the show.
<pre-trading-hours-pedantic-mode>

Fun to poke at the name, but if you expand it's meaning: The North American [hosted] International [exhibitors] Detroit [location] Auto Show

Just like my Northern Viriginia Giant Foods Supermarket International Foods Aisle.

</>

Surprisingly unbiased, well researched article on Tesla without the hyperbole, read this morning on Investing.com by Damian Nowiszewski. Nice.

Investing dot com is not US based.
Per Wikipedia, its headquarters are in
Madrid, Spain;
Nicosia, Cyprus;
Tel Aviv, Israel;
Shenzhen, China

The Author had joined them in 2014. This clearly shows how unbiased articles about Tesla should look like.

The garbage Rutres and other manufacture will not stop here, in the land of Wall Street.

Don't buy that. We've been charging Denise's Leaf L2 since 2015. No battery issues other than the expected range reduction.
You may be right, I'm guessing, but if you have range deduction, how do you know you haven't lost more range due to L2 charging?

Also, if you have a 2015, you probably have a model that can be programmed to 80 or 90 percent. Are you utilizing that? My car is a 2014 and I think it might be the only year that isn't programable.

Another possibility is that there is no delay. Rather, Tesla is telling that particular supplier to wait.

Another possibility is that roto-REUTERS is misrepresenting the situation with 3rd party suppliers. Another possibility is that REUTERS is outright lying to get clicks, and to feed the hedgies. I tend to favor the later until proven otherwise.

Honda to adopt NACS
"In 2025, Honda is planning to launch a new EV model in North America equipped with a NACS port. From that point forward, Honda will continue adopting NACS standards for its models.

EV models the company will launch in North America before 2025, which will be equipped with a Combined Charging System (CCS) port, are also being developed to be compatible with the NACS through the use of a charging adaptor."

Not gonna help the big 3 margins....

As a potential strike looms over the Detroit Three automakers, the United Auto Workers union is pushing for a substantial pay raise for its members: 46% over four years.

Definitely will not affect the broader domestic auto industry because I'm sure everyone else's wages will stay the same when competitors are suddenly paying 40%+ more (or whatever they end up at).

Unions set the precedent, and then everyone else plays catch-up

Big piece in Time by Walter Isaacson previewing the coming biography. There is an interview video contained within the article.

FINALLY.
With AI coming, I’m sort of wondering whether it’s worth spending that much time thinking about Twitter. Sure, I could probably make it the biggest financial institution in the world. But I have only so many brain cycles and hours in the day. I mean, it’s not like I need to be richer or something.”

Definitely will not affect the broader domestic auto industry because I'm sure everyone else's wages will stay the same when competitors are suddenly paying 40%+ more (or whatever they end up at).

Unions set the precedent, and then everyone else plays catch-up
It's not suddenly 46% more, rather 10% per year, compounded for 4 years. Damn, I gotta admit, I'd like 10% per year guaranteed for 4 years for my salary...

It's not suddenly 46% more, rather 10% per year, compounded for 4 years. Damn, I gotta admit, I'd like 10% per year guaranteed for 4 years for my salary...
Haha yeah I was being a bit hyperbolic, though that's just wages right and not the other benefits

I'm in a pretty union-heavy environment here in Canada and every single union has secured 15, 20, 25%+ increases in their new contracts over 3-5 year terms along with all the other benefits increasing. And as usual, I'll expect to see it trickle through to non-union over time until they're back at parity.