Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a bit sceptical about the Reuters reporting. Giant castings can only be made once the larger Gigapress is on site. However, they could be preparing and testing the molds.

If this way of making molds works for casting, there is a good chance it also works for stamping..

The sand mold needs to hold its shape, perhaps some type of resin is used to do that.

The sand mold can be constructed by a form of 3D printing, IMO if it was viable that is the approach Tesla would take.

From a quick Google, aluminium and steel have lower melting point than sand. So it might be possible to initially sand cast test versions of the cast part, then later sand cast steel molds to make the cast part in a Gigapress. They would need to do some machining after the sand casting
Typically, sand cast molds are created from a "male" pattern of the final part, slightly oversized to allow for shrinkage of the material. That pattern is split and half put on each side of a flat plate. The "mold" is created from 2 metal frames, called a cope and a drag, forming a perimeter that constrains the sand. One of those parts is placed over the pattern, filled with sand that is compressed to hold it in position (a binder is used to make the sand stick together) and vents and sprues cut for filling the motion metal. The pattern is flipped and the process repeated for the opposite side. The pattern is then removed and the cope and drag are assembled (the assembly now called a flask if my memory hasn't failed). Then the casting occurs, after which the flask is separated and sand removed from the final part, with sprues, runners and vents cut off.

Now-what you said makes sense and fits with what I think has been written about the process, using 3d printing to form the sand-cast molds, eliminating the need for the pattern. Such a process would allow for much more complex parts, since draft and a straight direction of pull to remove the pattern aren't needed. Not to mention eliminating the entire pattern making process. What exactly that 3d printing process would look like IDK. Some form of selective laser sintering perhaps, melting a binder in the sand? Still need to be able to remove the excess material from the mold cavity. Perhaps a form of FDM....but I would think a high percentage of sand would be very abrasive of the tooling.

And now that I wrote this I realize it belongs in engineering discussions. Sry.

I'm surprised Tesla will have 3 whites in the color palette between paint and wraps

1696992015483.png

vs Wraps

1696991958693.jpeg

Please, do share the details about how the Corolla is better, if you would be so kind.

...might be one possible response.

And we all know what the answers will be:

- I heard about a Tesla that caught fire, so I assume it happens constantly. I have never googled "car fire" for any other brand, but I assume it never happens.

- My friend told me Teslas have panel gaps. I don't know what that means, but it sounds bad. I have never inspected any car's panel gaps or checked for perfect gap symmetry around a car before, and don't actually care about this.

- I was once passing time watching videos on my cell phone all day, and the battery only lasted 8 hours. I can't have a car that has a battery that dies only 8 hours into the day! How will I get home from work?

- I heard that batteries wear out. I get a new cell phone every couple years, and I'm pretty sure if I kept it longer than that the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore. I don't want to replace my whole car every two years because the battery becomes useless!

- I heard that EV battery weighs 1000 pounds and takes a lot of energy to mine and manufacture and then you throw it in the landfill after a few years. I have never looked into actual battery life or recycling. I also have no idea that driving 15,000 miles a year in my 30 mpg gas car means that I am buying and burning 500 gallons a year...literally 3000 pounds of gasoline burned up and spread into the atmosphere EVERY.SINGLE.YEAR I drive my gas car. If pushed on this issue, I might pretend I would buy a 50 mpg Prius to "fix" this problem...and fail to realize that still burns 300 gallons = 1800 pounds of gasoline every year.

- My friend told me that he heard that his cousin's friend's coworker has a Tesla and it has been in the shop for weeks. He crashed it into a tree. Also, it's actually a different EV, but we call them all Teslas. And he sometimes drinks and drives.

- I heard the autopilot will kill you. I assume autopilot is mandatory on Teslas, and I can't trust a computer to drive while I supervise and can regain full control in an instant. That's crazy! However, I do occasionally go out drinking and pay a random stranger to drive me home in an Uber...while I am impaired and can't even reach any of the controls.

- Elon said a bad thing on Twitter! And let other people say bad things on Twitter! And he called somebody pedo guy! And he went "union busting" by pointing out UAW workers don't get stock options. And some factory workers did racist things and Elon wasn't everywhere stopping them all! And he grew up in South Africa so I blame him for everything bad that happened there. And that emerald mine! It's like blood diamonds! He was born so rich and just used his daddy's money to build cars and spaceships! And that tunnel company will never work because my friend Chuck told me so.

Still do not know why he Elon chose Germany instead of Poland.

Interesting... Tesla now offering wraps for $7500+. The actual wrapping happens at participating service centers, not at the factory.

here's a link to Tesla's page to see them and order...

Those are honestly pretty lackluster and mundane wrap colors for those prices. I've seen a lot of custom wraps in fantastic wild colors (sky blue, orange, Ford yellow, silver stardust, etc), they stood out in parking lots easily, and the few owners I talked to about them paid much less than $7500 to have it done. And why offer white, gray, and black again? Seems very redundant and poorly thought out to me? 🤔