Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The market is currently pricing that the FOMC will start cutting rates in June 2024, but the chart below shows that the market is almost always wrong about what the Fed will do beyond the next FOMC meeting. Looking at the chart, it is remarkable how mean reverting the error is. When rates are low, the market is systematically pricing that the Fed will soon hike. When rates are high, the market is systematically pricing that the next move from the Fed is to cut. Maybe the Fed will cut rates next summer. Maybe not. For now, investors should be planning on rates staying higher for longer.

For Tesla, I think that eventually (like mid next year at the latest), people will get used to the new rates and life will go on as usual.

View attachment 986144
Who's to say rates even need to come down? Or at least need to come down significantly.

Rates were on their way up and in the mid-2%s before COVID hit. Back before the financial crisis, rates were gradually ratcheted up to 5.25% before something broke -- but I think those risks in real estate don't really exist anymore, certainly not to the same extent in terms of shoddy lending practices etc.

What was unusual was the periods of exceptionally low or basically 0% rates and free money, those days might very well be over for the foreseeable future. Rates aren't high by historical standards, almost 20% Fed Funds rates in the '80s were high -- 5% Fed Funds rate is about average.

Like you didn't get the gist of it(!)...

Ok then...

Here it is again then just for you...

It seems it's not 15 or 10 years. It seems to 'only' be six years. The union has been wanting to talk to Tesla about this for six(?) years. Tesla has basically just said no. And now here we are.
"Now here we are"

Where is that? Per the linked article that I reposted and then deleted, zero employees chose to strike. When interviewed, one employee said they saw no benefit to joining the strike or union.

But now this thread has spent two days and multiple pages talking about a strike where no one showed up for a union that the employees don't seem to care to join.

Seems like much ado about nothing. I suggest either more details with evidence be shared or the thread moves on.

"Now here we are"

Where is that? Per the linked article that I reposted and then deleted, zero employees chose to strike. When interviewed, one employee said they saw no benefit to joining the strike or union.

But now this thread has spent two days and multiple pages talking about a strike where no one showed up for a union that the employees don't seem to care to join.

Seems like much ado about nothing. I suggest either more details with evidence be shared or the thread moves on.

Again:
The author of that article is the President of Tesla Club Sweden. The President of Tesla Club Sweden went to one shop in Stockholm and talked to the workers. Now put yourself in the workers shoes. Would you express criticism towards your employer while at work in that employer's shop? And would you do so while being interviewed by the President of Tesla Club Sweden during a conflict between the union and the employer?...

There are reports that executives at Tesla's Swedish subsidiary has threatened employes that they will loose their stock options if they strike. Those can allegedly currently be worth some 8,000 USD. Would you go on strike if it would cost you 8,000 USD? Would you go on strike if that is the message Tesla is sending to their mechanics?

I'll admit that there is quite a lot of things that are difficult to actually know about this conflict.

There also doesn't seem to be a lot of accurate unbiased reporting in English on this.

But if I find any such accurate unbiased reporting I'll make sure to post it here.

I just want to comment on the Sweden union thing.

From the information I was reading, I don't think Tesla would concede. There's no law that dictates businesses must have union workers. And I do not think Tesla would want to set a precedent for other countries to follow.

Thus, unless the union give a concession of some kind, it is IMHO best for Tesla to stay put and just strong hand through it and set a precedent for Tesla in other countries to think twice before they want to do anything with union.

If it drags long enough, Tesla can find 3rd party shops that Tesla would supply the necessary supplies and tools for them to carry out the service needed instead of giving way. At higher cost than operating its own SC, sure. But the cost of giving in to union demands has much greater consequences. And Sweden is only a small market when you look at on a global scale. There's no need to give ways. And union can only go so far. They cannot force an entity to accept a union's demand.

Translate from Swedish for a good review.

Translate from Swedish for a good review.

This is now the third time the same report has been posted (although the second posting was deleted). I added some context to this here:

And also here:

What are you even talking about? Nobody has been doing what you suggest.

We’ve all been asking for DETAILS and SPECIFICS - how exactly are Tesla employees being treated poorly and what exactly is in this collective agreement that will fix that, of which we’ve gotten zilch.

The statement by Tesla and interview of the Swedish Tesla employee were the most enlightening.

Unless we’ve missed something in all these media linked articles? Do tell. What are the specifics? What has Tesla done wrong by its employees in Sweden? What verbiage in the collective agreement fixes that? What was the content of previous talks with Tesla? What content is the union insisting on that Tesla is refusing to agree to? When did employees have the opportunity to vote on the union’s collective agreement verbiage and what was the percentage if Swedish Tesla employees in favor?

The union is mad because Tesla refuses to pay protection money.

Face it, most unions in the western world are little more than extorsionists, legalized mafia.

The union is mad because Tesla refuses to pay protection money.

Face it, most unions in the western world are little more than extorsionists, legalized mafia.

You certainly seem to have your very own definition of "mafia"...

The way I see it:

Should various Corporate HQ's get to decide everything? Or should the actual workers also get to have a say? How does one worker get to have a say? The only way that happens is through organizing with other workers. And in Democracies that is allowed – as opposed to non-democracies like North Korea and the such.

The haters said "the growth story is over" in 2019....... and then $TSLA released a new model that would go on to become the #1 selling vehicle in the world. (I didn't say "electric" ) from
1698526995178.jpeg

Should various Corporate HQ's get to decide everything? Or should the actual workers also get to have a say? How does one worker get to have a say? The only way that happens is through organizing with other workers. And in Democracies that is allowed – as opposed to non-democracies like North Korea and the such.

Workers always have a say. They can leave the company. They can sue the company for really bad working conditions (like harassment). Good companies are very aware of this and try their best within what is possible to keep good workers.

Again:
The author of that article is the President of Tesla Club Sweden. The President of Tesla Club Sweden went to one shop in Stockholm and talked to the workers. Now put yourself in the workers shoes. Would you express criticism towards your employer while at work in that employer's shop? And would you do so while being interviewed by the President of Tesla Club Sweden during a conflict between the union and the employer?...
I think I have seen like three different articles, two of which talked to employees that said they saw no value in joining the union. And you keep claiming that it is likely that the employees were lying. It doesn't seem like you give Swedish people much credit for being decent honest people. If you aren't willing to speak the truth, and lie and say everything is OK to the media you really aren't doing the strike, and the union, any good. In fact, you are actively harming it.

It seems weird that you are "defending" the Tesla employees by calling them liars.

I know the union I belong to had people lined up to be interviewed and media outlets scheduled to interview them before the striking began. As you have to get your information out so people can understand why you are striking and trying to make their life miserable. And yes, they did that publicly in front of the company headquarters, live, on camera.

If there are really so many union members working for Tesla, and striking, surely some of them would have been interviewed and expressed their reasons for demanding a collective bargaining agreement. Yet, I haven't seen a single one linked to. Why? Is the union so bad at unioning that they can't get the media to interview some striking members and publish anything?

Workers always have a say. They can leave the company. They can sue the company for really bad working conditions (like harassment). Good companies are very aware of this and try their best within what is possible to keep good workers.

Was it always like this? Go back through history. Things were very different in for example 1911 weren't they... So how did we get here? Did Corporations just grant workers 'all these things' or were these right achieved through various forms of conflict?...

These workers rights are not guaranteed. They can be taken away through for example various political processes.

One of the over-arching goals of the unions in Sweden is to prevent that from happening.

In Sweden there are some things that are regulated through legislation, but the rest has always been agreed upon i Collective agreements between workers/unions and various employers. If Tesla gets to do business in Sweden without adhering to this process, then why should any other Corporation in Sweden have to enter into a Collective agreement? That means the entire Swedish system of regulating a lot of things in the labour sector could just cease to exist.

As I understand it, that is not something that Swedish unions are willing to accept.