Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas stations are still manually operated in the UK? In the 3 decades I drove an ICE (in Belgium), I’ve never seen a gas station closed because of lack of operators. All of them have a card payment terminal for as long as I can remember. So no advantage for superchargers here.
Edit: so the same observation as @raffiniert in Switzerland.
In the US, I think it's only the state of New Jersey where self service gas pumps are not allowed.

But I think the larger point is worth reiterating. Every gas station does require a human attendant for safety reasons (at least everywhere I know of in the US). So while a human might not help you with the gas, there will be someone on duty.

And as gas is phased out, it will become cost-prohibitive to keep many stations open 24/7. But a human attendant is never required for a Supercharger. So this is an EV advantage that will eventually become more apparent.

Oh, are we doing this?
OK
I say it will be "One more thing" and then Optimus drives out the Model 2, exits the car and stands off to the side, juggling 3 eggs.

Your turn.
Optimus should exit slowly and walk robotically to the stage where an actor dressed as Optimus dances. Optimus watches and then mimics the dance perfectly just by watching the actor. Interwebs break.

Optimus should exit slowly and walk robotically to the stage where an actor dressed as Optimus dances. Optimus watches and then mimics the dance perfectly just by watching the actor. Interwebs break.

How about telling us when US will get highland? Maybe a stretch is upgrades to Model Y based on highland. The highland reviews from Europe and Australia are all very very good.

Reactions: UncaNed
Rumor has it: Tesla Manager Reveals the Cybertruck Has a 123KWh Battery Pack

I'm not going to link to a specific site because the source is uncredited and unverifiable.

Another Rumor: All Cybertruck deliveries will be dual motor to start. Trimotor should start to ship in Q2 or Q3 2024. All 20 trucks on display right now across the US are dual motor.
I just want to temper expectations on the range.

If it is anywhere in the 300 to 350 range, it will be a disappointment to a lot of observers. The media will play it up as a failure and the stock will take a temporary hit. If the battery is really 123 kWh, I don't expect the range to be more than 300 to 325 miles. Crying hoarse that range is not that important as long as we have adequate charging infrastructure will not help.

If it is anywhere in the 300 to 350 range, it will be a disappointment to a lot of observers. The media will play it up as a failure and the stock will take a temporary hit. If the battery is really 123 kWh, I don't expect the range to be more than 300 to 325 miles. Crying hoarse that range is not that important as long as we have adequate charging infrastructure will not help.
Of course the media will fail to mention that this is NOT the tri-motor variant.

Of course the media will fail to mention that this is NOT the tri-motor variant.
Indeed
SmartSelect_20231128_132525_Firefox.jpg

They could still present the price sheet with a promise for the 500 mi range in '24 (if not ready now). Battery Pack, Structure, and overall Design Reveal would be cool and expected.

But to your point, yes with only 350 range, we'd likely see "CyberTruck Disappoints - Only 175 mi Towing Range."

Could also be a decoy rumor, designed to maximize Shortz losses. Surprise! 🤣🚀

Reactions: Dayreg
1701196510973.png

look at the CT sitting next to the antiquated ICE pickup .... it really demonstrates how you can get "used to" a terrible design (legacy pickup )

i had this discussion with my wife over the weekend and she said that traditional pickups looked much better i told her it is just because you are used to seeing them and you never really thought about how idiotic they look especially for non commercial applications ... she though about it and i think is starting to come around ....not that it matters I am, getting CT regardless :p

Talking about CT design decisions, I managed to capture this pic today.

53361433529_112a2e5862_b.jpg

One can clearly see the matrix pattern of the light bar, something I don't think I've seen people taking notice.

I wonder if it's used for some sort of KITT-like indicator once the FSD is achieved.

This video shows the light startup sequence.

look at the CT sitting next to the antiquated ICE pickup .... it really demonstrates how you can get "used to" a terrible design (legacy pickup )

i had this discussion with my wife over the weekend and she said that traditional pickups looked much better i told her it is just because you are used to seeing them and you never really thought about how idiotic they look especially for non commercial applications ... she though about it and i think is starting to come around ....not that it matters I am, getting CT regardless :p
The legacy design is practical. Apart from the grilles, which are essentially there because ICEs used to really suck and some people don't like empty space.

But I think the larger point is worth reiterating. Every gas station does require a human attendant for safety reasons (at least everywhere I know of in the US).

I don't think this is true? Pretty sure I've seen a fair # of stations with pumps on 24/7 but nobody working there overnight... and a quick internet search finds mention mentions of same various places.

Here's the state fire code in NC from 2018 mentioning this is allowed as long as the owner or operator does daily site visits and regular inspection/maintenance

Where approved, unattended self-service motor fuel-dispensing facilities are allowed. As a condition of approval, the owner or operator shall provide, and be accountable for, daily site visits, regular equipment inspection and maintenance.

How about lifetime free touch up paint service on the CT.😀

Probably a lower impact on the margins.

There's a lot of ongoing speculation/FUD on automotive blog sites claiming that the stainless steel will be impossible to repair. The claim is that any dent or ding can't be fixed, so an entire panel will have to be replaced. And any scratch can't just be re-painted and the finish will never look good again -- possibly another panel replacement.

I think Tesla could use this as an opportunity to emphasize their tough/brutal design versus the "princess trucks" that are easily damaged and just aren't the same until they are perfectly pretty again.

I would like to see (semi-jokingly...but actually I'm kindof serious):
  1. Tesla state that while dents and dings will be much less likely, their repair manual will specify that in the event of a small dent/ding of a body panel, it is acceptable to leave it as-is, as it adds to the charm of the vehicle.
  2. Tesla state that while dents and dings will be much less likely, their repair manual will specify that in the event of a larger dent/ding or puncture of a body panel, one acceptible repair could involve simply welding a piece of random-ish scrap metal over the damaged zone. Color matching not needed. This wll add character to the truck, and fit the post-apocalyptic/cyber image, I swear!
  3. Tesla state that many of the panels (fenders, doors, tailgate face) can be simply removed and replaced (like with bolts or other easily removeable fasteners)...and that the replacement panels will be cheaper than the unpainted fenders/door panels/etc. of other trucks, and won't require painting/color-matching, thus resulting in cheaper repairs.

I don't think this is true? Pretty sure I've seen a fair # of stations with pumps on 24/7 but nobody working there overnight... and a quick internet search finds mention mentions of same various places.

Here's the state fire code in NC from 2018 mentioning this is allowed as long as the owner or operator does daily site visits and regular inspection/maintenance
I know it's required to have someone on duty in Georgia and Florida. I guess laws about that do differ from state to state.

Reactions: jerry33
There's a lot of ongoing speculation/FUD on automotive blog sites claiming that the stainless steel will be impossible to repair. The claim is that any dent or ding can't be fixed, so an entire panel will have to be replaced. And any scratch can't just be re-painted and the finish will never look good again -- possibly another panel replacement.

I think Tesla could use this as an opportunity to emphasize their tough/brutal design versus the "princess trucks" that are easily damaged and just aren't the same until they are perfectly pretty again.

I would like to see (semi-jokingly...but actually I'm kindof serious):
  1. Tesla state that while dents and dings will be much less likely, their repair manual will specify that in the event of a small dent/ding of a body panel, it is acceptable to leave it as-is, as it adds to the charm of the vehicle.
  2. Tesla state that while dents and dings will be much less likely, their repair manual will specify that in the event of a larger dent/ding or puncture of a body panel, one acceptible repair could involve simply welding a piece of random-ish scrap metal over the damaged zone. Color matching not needed. This wll add character to the truck, and fit the post-apocalyptic/cyber image, I swear!
  3. Tesla state that many of the panels (fenders, doors, tailgate face) can be simply removed and replaced (like with bolts or other easily removeable fasteners)...and that the replacement panels will be cheaper than the unpainted fenders/door panels/etc. of other trucks, and won't require painting/color-matching, thus resulting in cheaper repairs.
Personal option - whomever gets a CT and would even consider repairing dents need not to get one.

We don't need to wait to be told. We can see via 3 drone flights per week that the Cathode facility isn't finished yet. They can't ramp all 8 planned production lines of 4680 cells until the Cathode plant is creating product at scale, and we likely also need the Lithium refinery in Corpus Christi is operational. You can't make bricks w/o straw...

People never think about the logisitics involved in production. That's why bears 'n' shortzes love to tout the "30 new EVs coming from X next year", when in fact they only have enough batteries fo make a few hundred copies.

TL;dr Math is your Friend
Do we know if there is talk of a cathode factory in Nevada?

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger