Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my plan but then I saw a picture and description from Jessica Kirsh, who says she is 5' 10", and it appears that she cannot fully lie straight in the bed with the tailgate up.

View attachment 995928

I don't know how much lift is on / in her boots but doesn't look like she would fit comfortably even with them off.

6' bed so I guess technically it would work but doesn't look like it for her.
So saying CT has a 6' bed is a bit disingenuous isn't it ?

This is a complete WAG based on a single comment made by Tom Zhu back in March: "Paint is expensive":

"Zhu also said that Gigafactory Mexico will be the first Tesla factory to build the next-generation vehicle, as it was announced at Investor Day. From there Tesla will take their learnings and add the next-generation platform to their other Gigafactories. When asked if the next-generation vehicle will be painted or have stainless steel like the Cybertruck, Zhu smiled and said, “paint is expensive.”​

With Tesla needing 3-5 more gigafactories to build Gen 3, with high-end paint shops costing a billion USD, and with after-market wraps now a profit center for Tesla, I'd be shocked if Gen 3 uses conventional autopaint.

Cheers!

A billion dollars amortized over 20 years is $50 million per year in COGs. That $100 in COGs per unit for a 500k output factory. Maybe another $10 for maintenance. Paint shops may be expensive upfront but they last a long time and don’t need to be retooled when the model changes.

Removing paint to save money is not a risk worth taking with a car that is expected to sell millions of units worldwide. Most buyers in the sub-$30k space are not interested in wraps.

Outrageous suggestion: If you are only looking for a sleeper, why bother with camping gear? Just put a couple of blankets on the truck bed and close the tonnaue cover. May be keep it cracked a bit for ventilation. Or fold the back seats and crack the driver windows open. You can even have a small candle that will heat up the space very nicely even in subzero temps.

great idea? stupid idea?
Is there a button within the bed to operate the tonneau cover?

If I were going to get the CT--made a reservation 4 years ago but have decided against it--and wanted some extra range to operate in remote areas with few superchargers, and didn't want to cough up $16k while losing 1/3rd of my bed storage to the range extender battery, I'd get a small gas generator with a 240 plug and run it at night while camping to do some charging. Saw a few today at Costco that would occupy a small part of the bed, can easily be lifted by a single person, and run $600-$800.
One of the nice things is those small generators can be paired/synced so you can double or triple the output, but keep the weight of each individual generator reasonable. They are also quiet and fuel efficient-unlike "old-school" generators that operate at a constant high RPM, these ramp up/down to match your load. Lots of campers use 2 to power their AC and kitchen loads. Would be pretty easy to top up a CT battery while you're at camp. Might be a little slow, I think they are about 1.5kw output (3 combined). But if you're camping for a weekend in a remote area it'll get the job done. Of course if you're in an RV park, just plug into the 240 V outlet and top up for free.

So saying CT has a 6' bed is a bit disingenuous isn't it ?
No. Look at the picture. She would probably have to scoot down 2" to lay flat. The bottom of her 2-3" healed shoes are ~2" from the end of the bed. It's not a 6'4" bed, it's 6'.

Unless Tesla said "A 5'10" person can wear 3" heals, and lay flat in the bed with a couple inches to spare", then how is it disingenuous?

So is Cybertruck really a good free advertisement for Tesla? Let's check out the numbers.

As of Sunday afternoon, here is the viewership of the 3 early Cybertruck review videos:
Top Gear: 2,000,000 views
Hagerty: 2,800,000 views
Marques Brownlee: 9,700,000 views

How much would GM or Ford have to pay for such exposure? And Tesla paid nothing. I'll also add that these are not 30 second TV spots that people tune out. These are 40 minute videos that people actually sit and watch.

Plus, the Cybertruck has been very good for all those channels. Here is the average viewership of each channel's previous ten videos:
Top Gear: 317,000 views
Hagerty: 379,200 views
Marques Brownlee: 4,100,000 views

So in two days, the Top Gear and Hagerty Cybertruck videos have around 6 times more views than the average of the previous 10. And Marques Brownlee's CT video is more than double the average.

Only one of those 10 Brownlee videos out-performs his CT video. It's an iPhone video that has been out for 2 months compared to his CT video which has only been out 2 days.

A billion dollars amortized over 20 years is $50 million per year in COGs. That $100 in COGs per unit for a 500k output factory. Maybe another $10 for maintenance. Paint shops may be expensive upfront but they last a long time and don’t need to be retooled when the model changes.

Removing paint to save money is not a risk worth taking with a car that is expected to sell millions of units worldwide. Most buyers in the sub-$30k space are not interested in wraps.
Paint has a pretty high variable cost (labor and materials) as well. It also has a large production foot print and adds a lots of operational complexity (sequencing colors etc.) and glitches with color matching and other things that go wrong.

I tend to think it comes down to durability. If you can build a more durable car without paint for less money I think people take the trade off. The ones that want color can add a wrap. I am sure there is a lot Tesla can do to lower the cost of wraps with precutting and body design that makes it easy to apply.

Drag forces scale with velocity squared, and I would wager that if you're cruising at a constant 85 mph, your efficiency and range will be more than 10% worse with the tonneau stowed compared to having the vault closed.
So; will we be able close it from the touchscreen while driving🤞? That would be handy; or if it will auto close at certain speeds if no obstruction is detected (maybe after a screen confirmation).

• Helpful
Reactions: navguy12
Outrageous suggestion: If you are only looking for a sleeper, why bother with camping gear? Just put a couple of blankets on the truck bed and close the tonnaue cover. May be keep it cracked a bit for ventilation. Or fold the back seats and crack the driver windows open. You can even have a small candle that will heat up the space very nicely even in subzero temps.

great idea? stupid idea?
I was thinking the same until I watched Joe T's video:

There was a clip showing bulkhead between cab and bed where he highlighted a couple of 6x6" vents, with no exact explanation (will the Cabin be able to control air/temperature in bed?), and postulated fixed window.

Tesla Board member Ira Ehrenpreis was one of the Cybertruck owners getting their cars on Thursday. But he has not tweeted about it. So perhaps Tesla has an NDA active. And this post I saw yesterday has been deleted? 🤷‍♀️

Post from Alexandra Merz:
When men enjoy life, they are like boys, and I am loving it.
@IraEhrenpreis
, Member of Tesla's Board and Chair of both the Compensation and the Nomination & Governance committee. He also was the last delivery recipient on Thursday.
@larsmoravy
and
@woodhaus2

Did see a post on X from some guy Yesterday who got his. Posted a pic of his CT charging at a supercharger. Wasn't a YouTuber as far as I could say. Did not bookmark since I assumed there would be more. Got the phone call from Tesla just a few days before the event.

Edit: Tried to search for this post. But Google did not show me anything X. And on X I could not search for images with in a time period.

Last edited:

I'm surprised nobody sells a car with standard steel panels dipped in primer / sealant (or whatever the protective undercoating is) at a discount. Would it save $500 / car? $1,000? $3,000? Many people would take a sheet-metal-coloured car for $3000 off the sticker price. A wrap's a luxury many would skip on an economy car, no? Like with CT, no paint would make inventory an order of magnitude more efficient and cost-effective.

Take some of the delivery comments with a grain of salt, there were hoards of influencers there making dumb comments abut everything, many of those came from ones hurt about pricing and how they can't buy one now. They will settle down eventually. Many were expecting to get a Truck with crazy range for under $50K. Sandy and a few others were some of the more grounded attending. Everyone was wondering what foundation meant so I guess they are not familiar with founders cars. The RIVIAN guy looked like he was going to set himself on fire over pricing:)

Last edited:
brownlee confirmed 6 foot with an actual tape measure
Sorry I forgot who posted suggestion: With tonneau rolled up (as in open) it may take 4-6" of bed length, tucked in by Cabin rear window
Are you suggesting that Brownlee measured the bed with the tonneau cover closed in order to arrive at 6 feet?

So; will we be able close it from the touchscreen while driving🤞? That would be handy; or if it will auto close at certain speeds if no obstruction is detected (maybe after a screen confirmation).

You can open and close the cover from the touchscreen. I don't think it has any restriction on speed you are going or gear you are in but I've only seen it done on video so I can't confirm the exact scenarios tested.

Reactions: FireMedic

Don't think you are factoring in the cost of paint. Sophisticated coatings are easily $100/gal even in bulk. Chemical wash, prime coats, multiple top coats...plus additional time in the production line. And, no paint line is 100% every time, so add in cost for rework and protection.
Paint is a significant % of cost for a $25K vehicle

I wonder how they are doing trailer lights with the 48 volt system. Do they have a DC to DC converter for the trailer plug?

Does the truck have a built in brake controller?
It would have to have a DC-DC for the trailer lights and brakes as I'm sure 48v would kill everything.

As far as a built-in brake controller, I think so as the towing screen has brake controller boost options, etc.