Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Absolutely agree that they wanted low risk. I'm not sure "they" had much say in Elon jumping into the truck bed, though. Elon will do Elon. "They" probably would have preferred that he didn't hide in the shadows for part of the presentation either, but ....

They lighting guys certainly didn't seem to anticipate it...

What numbers are you looking at?

The ones from the 2019 CT reveal-- Which is what I said- so unsure why you were unclear what #s I was looking at? Those are the same #s that were still at tesla.com for CT a week ago until the reveal.

14k max towing capacity and 3500 lbs cargo capacity.

The production CT came in 3k less towing and 1k less cargo.

Cybertruck is rated to tow 11000 lbs and haul 2500 lbs. It's not as good as the original plan, but still market-leading in its class.

Among EVs? Sure. Among all pickups of comparable class/size not so much- F-150 non-EV is 14k towing and 3325 cargo.

The 2019 specs were impressive not just for the range (which it also didn't deliver) but the fact towing and cargo were not compromises compared to the best ICE trucks.

Production missed all those aspirational targets.

None of which changes they'll sell all they can make for a good while, but it's still a miss on a lot of original stated goals.

Last edited:
The ones from the 2019 CT reveal-- Which is what I said- so unsure why you were unclear what #s I was looking at? Those are the same #s that were still at tesla.com for CT a week ago until the reveal.

14k max towing capacity and 3500 lbs cargo capacity.

The production CT came in 3k less towing and 1k less cargo.

Among EVs? Sure. Among all pickups of comparable class/size not so much- F-150 non-EV is 14k towing and 3325 cargo.

At first I didn't believe you...the silliness of the 150 and 1500 trucks still being called "half ton" pickups, but apparently with payloads over 1.5 tons.

Anyway, I looked it up, and your specs are true for a 2023 F-150 with the added Heavy Duty Payload and Max Trailer Tow packages...plus a few other limits/requirements.

Interestingly, though, at least the max payload numbers are dropping for 2024:

From the article:

"The 2023 F-150 offered up to 3315 lbs of hauling capacity. For 2024, that number falls to 2455 lbs."

"An 860-lb drop sounds cataclysmic. But for the trucks people actually order, it's not going to make much of a difference. Because while that 3315-lb number provided Ford with plenty of bragging rights, actual buyers almost never optioned a truck to have that kind of hauling capacity. It required you to get a 5.0-liter V-8 single-cab 4x2 truck with an eight-foot bed, the Max Trailer Tow package, and the Heavy-Duty Payload package. That last package is what gave it the 800-lb payload advantage over the rest of the lineup, but Ford axed it to limit configurations."

I'm not giving my opinion one way or another...I'm not a truck guy, and certainly don't have big payload or towing needs. I'm just presenting these interesting facts, with the interesting note that in 2024 the Cybertruck will have a (slightly) higher payload capacity than any new F-150.

I know a lot of people always say Elon is sandbagging. But I don't buy it. I think his Asperger's doesn't allow him to play sandbagging games.

It seems to me that Elon tends to say exactly what he thinks. Sometimes that's good. Sometimes it's a problem. But that's who he is.

Granted,

However, Elon has on many occasions obviously held back. Whether that was by his discretion or that of the board we don't know.

The result is a consistent strategy for avoiding sharing too much about a project until they are ready to show it off. Or, to put another way, keeping their cards close to their vest.

So, yes, Elon does at times tend to say exactly what he thinks, and at other times says exactly what he thinks he should say and no more. Hense the ongoing references to playing 3D chess. When it is part of a game, Elon plays to win.

Being on the spectrum offers him as much of a gaming advantage as it can sometimes be a social disadvantage.

YMMV

Interestingly, though, at least the max payload numbers are dropping for 2024:

From the article:

"The 2023 F-150 offered up to 3315 lbs of hauling capacity. For 2024, that number falls to 2455 lbs."

"An 860-lb drop sounds cataclysmic. But for the trucks people actually order, it's not going to make much of a difference. Because while that 3315-lb number provided Ford with plenty of bragging rights, actual buyers almost never optioned a truck to have that kind of hauling capacity. It required you to get a 5.0-liter V-8 single-cab 4x2 truck with an eight-foot bed, the Max Trailer Tow package, and the Heavy-Duty Payload package. That last package is what gave it the 800-lb payload advantage over the rest of the lineup, but Ford axed it to limit configurations."

I'm not giving my opinion one way or another...I'm not a truck guy, and certainly don't have big payload or towing needs. I'm just presenting these interesting facts, with the interesting note that in 2024 the Cybertruck will have a (slightly) higher payload capacity than any new F-150.

Totally fair-- and it's quite possible Tesla knew how rarely folks actually bought higher payload 1/2 ton trucks when making the design choices to offer 2500 instead of the originally announced 3500.... that said it looks like the big 3 (GM, Ford, RAM) are continuing to all offer trims of 1/2 tons with 1.5-3k more towing capacity than the highest spec CT.

Reactions: EQC_ and Gigapress
Totally fair-- and it's quite possible Tesla knew how rarely folks actually bought higher payload 1/2 ton trucks when making the design choices to offer 2500 instead of the originally announced 3500.... that said it looks like the big 3 (GM, Ford, RAM) are continuing to all offer trims of 1/2 tons with 1.5-3k more towing capacity than the highest spec CT.
Yeah, the F-150 configurations with 14k lbs towing and 3.3k lbs payload are higher-end trims that are bigger and heavier. The more common F-150 trims tend to tow and haul less than CT. The "F-150" is a family of trucks with a broad range of capabilities, sizes, and features. That's one reason why comparing CT to the F-150 Lightning is more informative.

The Lightning, like the CT, only has a few options. CT is clearly targeted, at least initially, for the most popular market segments.

Looks like a date was set in Denmark for 3F Union to also block Tesla shipments. (I'm assuming they mean Trains). They can still drive them in on car carriers right? Would Norway also be impacted then?

Edit: Adding Map.

On Tuesday, 3F, Denmark's largest union, said that its transport workers will launch a strike in solidarity with Tesla workers in Sweden if the company does not reach a collective wage agreement with them by December 18.
Danish port workers have vowed to neither unload nor load Tesla vehicles and drivers will not receive and transport Tesla cars going through Denmark.
On behalf of my country I apologize 😅

Fun fact. A danish tabloid newspaper (Ekstra Bladet) has published an article about a pension fund which is mainly controlled by the 3F union… and guess what, it contains about USD 60M in TSLA shares…

Double standards ftw!

The article (in danish)

Last edited:
Yes that's right. Pretty much exactly what Lars said here: :D

Top Gear | Interview w. Lars Moravi + Franz von Holtzhausen | Bulletproofing

"We can stop pretty much any handgun, and you know anything that is subsonic. But you know, if you get armored-piercing rounds, or if you have a bullet that's going faster than the speed of sound, that energy is going to hit it you know with velocity squared, and in that tiny area it's gonna go through. So yeah you can definately empty a whole clip from a tommy gun, 9 mm subsonic, but I wouldn't go around uh you know claiming that its fully bullet uh proof."​

Cheers!
Rather than "bulletproof", maybe the CT pitch should be "more bulletproof than any other production vehicle"?

It looks like a normal system with a dual circuit master cylinder with some form of booster feeding a 4 corner ABS unit.
View attachment 996330
Not doing brake by wire might have a lot to do with the CT being on 48V. Brembo has been investing and working on this for years, but certainly with standard 12V vehicles in mind. Maybe a fairly easy revision to the CT once Brembo certifies a 48V design?

Not doing brake by wire might have a lot to do with the CT being on 48V. Brembo has been investing and working on this for years, but certainly with standard 12V vehicles in mind. Maybe a fairly easy revision to the CT once Brembo certifies a 48V design?
Brembo's web site says it supports 48V already.
Looks like a cost up due to dual front pumps, dual control modules, and other parts.
Plus, it's 3rd party with its own software and wire harness requirements. Might be a pain to integrate into Tesla's ecosystem and stability control.