Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love the M2 to have a steering wheel that electronically appears from the dashboard after you activate the brake button and have automatically activated drive. Just when your driver profile activates now. So you can sit in the drivers seat and work/eat sandwiches while in neutral without the wheel in the way. Also being away while getting in and out would be great.
The trend suggests that the M2 will have no steering wheel, and the driver will just use an Xbox controller

Isn't pulling different than towing in the truck world? I had thought the sled pull test was done to demonstrate that the CT could outdo an F-350 for a task like tree stump removal.

That would be my perception as well (and the exact point I was making in folks trying to insist winning one test suggested more capability in the other when they're very different tasks)

That would be my perception as well (and the exact point I was making in folks trying to insist winning one test suggested more capability in the other when they're very different tasks)
Yeah, the ability to still stop while towing a load is a big part of a towing capacity, it's one thing getting a load rolling, its a whole other thing stopping it.

Last edited:
Uh... what?

The limit in Kansas, for example, is 10k lbs towing cutoff on the rules... so it's still over that limit at 11k rating and thus your explanation makes no actual sense based on the source you provided.

Limit in CA is the same- 10k

The only other limit is the 26k one... which CT (plus a 14k trailer per original spec) would also be under just as much as with an 11k tow rating

Further- why would they cripple the tow rating because someone MIGHT need an upgraded license in a few specific states to max it out? You don't need the license if your vehicle is RATED to tow that amount- only if you actually do tow that amount.

That's a prototype F-150 EV towing 1 million pounds pulling a train of other F-150s over a short distance (in fact- a pretty similar distance to what the CT pulled that much lighter sled).

That doesn't mean the "real" tow rating on the F-150 is 1 million lbs though.

It means EVs are incredibly good towing crazy heavy stuff short distances.
Didn't they have Ford Lightening towing a set of freight cars?

Didn't they have Ford Lightening towing a set of freight cars?

Yup- posted a link to that in a previous post about this- >1 million pounds pulled by a prototype EV F-150. For about the same roughly 300ish yards the CT pulled 40k pounds on the sled. Neither is super relevant to real world towing ability though-- neither was when they pulled a 787 jet with an X, or when Toyota pulled a space shuttle with an ICE Tundra.

Makes a cool promo thing to show off though.

Yup- posted a link to that in a previous post about this- >1 million pounds pulled by a prototype EV F-150. For about the same roughly 300ish yards the CT pulled 40k pounds on the sled. Neither is super relevant to real world towing ability though-- neither was when they pulled a 787 jet with an X, or when Toyota pulled a space shuttle with an ICE Tundra.

Makes a cool promo thing to show off though.
There are humans who can pull a train or jumbo jet -- on flat ground. They have low rolling resistance and overcoming the friction is relatively easy. It's a meaningless marketing promo that's meant to impress people who didn't pay attention in high school physics class. It has no relation to towing ability.

Isn't pulling different than towing in the truck world? I had thought the sled pull test was done to demonstrate that the CT could outdo an F-350 for a task like tree stump removal.
Not really. As a reformed F350 diesel owner, who had a large boat (12k+) and a 4700lb camper in the bad (never at the same time).

The pull test shows real world power where you need it. And how much better it is. Pulling the boat up a ramp, or driving up a mountain with the camper into 30 mph headwinds while traveling 70 mph (pedal to the metal - just watching the boost and exhaust temp as to when to let off and slow down - else melt a piston).

Also had a tool trailer (carpentry) and getting that moving in a dirt lot up a hill in the rain/snow etc.

The pull test is an effective indicator for anything requiring torque to the wheels.

The Cybertruck is a serious home run.

Further the F350 and range….(we also tow light trailers with our Model 3).

You lose range towing (regardless of fuel) - but stop and go is surprisingly efficient with an EV. Think of the added energy needed to launch for fun, except slow (towing) and then you get increased regeneration due to the added towing load.

The F350 would take a 50%+ mileage hit when towing. It had a 32 gallon tank, but as we know you never (ever) go below about 1/4 tank. Engine stops on a diesel, and you loose power steering and power brakes (bad!). That leaves about 250 miles of range towing / hauling heavy. Something the Cybertruck can probably do on local roads, with the added battery.

Plus, you can supercharge the truck while “laying cable” so lots of time saved.

Completely OT for $TSLA, but just a data point to counter the “suits” and FUD folks that have no real world experience.

No, sticking with Tesla being 100% vision based, it will be controlled by hand motions seen by the cabin/selfie camera. 🤣
Talking about vision based, I recently saw this in Mercedes (I think). If you need to adjust your side mirrors, you don't need to select the Left or the Right mirror with a button. You simply look at the mirror and press the controls to change the position. The camera identifies if you are looking at the Right mirror or the Left mirror and chooses accordingly. Was just blown away. Works flawlessly

Not really. As a reformed F350 diesel owner, who had a large boat (12k+) and a 4700lb camper in the bad (never at the same time).

The pull test shows real world power where you need it. And how much better it is. Pulling the boat up a ramp, or driving up a mountain with the camper into 30 mph headwinds while traveling 70 mph (pedal to the metal - just watching the boost and exhaust temp as to when to let off and slow down - else melt a piston).

Also had a tool trailer (carpentry) and getting that moving in a dirt lot up a hill in the rain/snow etc.

The pull test is an effective indicator for anything requiring torque to the wheels.

The Cybertruck is a serious home run.

There are indeed significant differences.

Towing via a hitch has a tongue weight that requires frame, axles, tires, and suspension hefty enough to manage it safely. Things such as ride height, suspension travel, frame flex/torsion, sway, and front axle (un)loading come in to play. Pulling has 0 tongue weight, it's a load pulled via a chain, and that load has it's own front skids it rests on.

Towing requires the ability safely stop the load. This impacts brakes, tire compound/contact patch, transmission, and axle gearing. While there are trailer brakes, you don't want to reply on those in all situations... going down an extended grade for instance. Pulling has none of these requirements... the load's front skids put it to a stop almost immediately.

Towing requires managing turbo temps, fluid temps, tire heat, and pressures over 10's of hours at a time. Pulling doesn't often doesn't last long enough for those to be a factor during a 10 second pull.

Towing is much more about overall platform engineering. Pulling is almost exclusively brute strength.

There are some tractor pull trucks that could pull a 40K sled that I wouldn't trust to pull a 10K trailer several hundred miles on the highway.

(Ex-owner of a F350 Crew Cab Longbed Turbo Diesel pulling a 37 foot 10K lbs dry weight (~13K loaded) travel trailer)

Last edited:
I think what the Cybertruck has shown us is that Tesla "cool" is less and less about adding cool things. It's about eliminating uncool (unnecessary) things. This is, of course, both cool and cost-effective (repeat after me: "the best part is no part at all")
  • No door handles (keys are long gone)
  • No steering column (stalks are long gone, drive-by-wire)
  • No 12 V battery
  • No spaghetti-wiring (Ethernet)
  • No fixed rear axel
  • No uncovered bed
  • No testo-grill (clean slope with 1 wiper)
  • (What'd I miss?)
We should have a poll about what they'll remove (to save costs) on the M2!
  • No steering wheel (optional hide)
  • No mirrors
  • No pedals (optional hide)
  • No "rear seat" (back-to-back for compact aerodynamics)
  • ???
  • No opening window between the cabin and bed
  • No 6th seat