Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't they have started at the front of the line?
As reservation holders pass on the offer the opportunity moves up the line from there until the limited number of takers are found.

Where's the disrespect in that?

I think there's a reasonable argument that it's disrespectful to a guy super early in line who wanted a 50k dual motor CT, and even now is still willing to buy an 80k one, to tell him "Look you're next on the list but only if you buy the 120k version"

I think people are talking at cross purposes regarding CT and Tesla financials. I'm talking about TSLA, not Tesla. Tesla the company will take a good while until the quarterly financial reports (backwards looking data) show a material gain from the cybertruck. Thats true, as elon has said, and is obvious. But thats how dumb money wall street hacks invest. Thats not how cunning investors from here should invest (or those few wall st types who can actually think ahead).

By the time cybertruck profits hit the financial reports, its too late to buy stock. Surely the whole point of investing is looking ahead, seeing whats coming, and trading ahead.

I'm sure there are people out there considering buying TSLA or increasing their position, but are waiting for the first few hundred CT deliveries to check everything is as it seems. All new product releases represent risk. The successful delivery of end-customer CT owners removes that risk, and should boost the stock.

TSLA doesn't have a higher P/E than GM for no good reason. Investors are looking ahead.
💯
For the Cybertruck, Tesla revealed it and then spent years trying to figure out how to build it.
With the Gen3 ($25k) vehicle, Tesla is now working on how to build it and THEN will reveal it.
The time from Reveal date to Delivery date for Gen 3 will be impressive. Gen3 may come on just as Cybertruck starts adding to the financials.
Setting up a position now before everyone else figures it out can be very lucrative. Many on this forum have always done it this way and it's why they hold stock with a $15 cost basis.

Tesla is starting to take its customers for granted. It works until it doesn’t. Telling people to pony up an extra $20k to jump to the front of the line is disrespectful considering the vehicle is already priced well above expectations.

They offered "Signature Edition" Model S's 10+ years ago. It's not simply a line jump fee. There's some tangible (if of dubious value) extras that you get. Some people like the cachet of getting a "Special Edition". Not worth it to me, but I don't begrudge those that do.

Part of Tesla's approach has always been to start at the highest end that was production ready (i.e.- most profitable) and work their way down... this helps manage volume during the ramp, and recoup R&D costs.

Given they are the only new car company to make it in ages, hard to complain that it might not be helping...

On edit: Yeah, what several people prior to me said as well (note to self: read all posts before replying)

Last edited:
I completely agree, but it seems so lopsided - I have observed the same thing for carriers heading north towards Oregon as well, there is nowhere near a matching flow back towards the factory as from it, either loaded or empty.

Yesterday I saw 4 or 5 non Tesla carriers heading south, but not one headed north.

Hence my question - where do they go, perhaps return at night or on some great circle and end up coming back via I80😃

They don't just dump the cars in the ocean, they drive the entire loaded trailer straight in.

This is what is causing global ocean levels to rise.

They offered "Signature Edition" Model S's 10+ years ago. It's not simply a line jump fee. There's some tangible (if of dubious value) extras that you get. Some people like the cachet of getting a "Special Edition". Not worth it to me, but I don't begrudge those that do.

Part of Tesla's approach has always been to start at the highest end that was production ready (i.e.- most profitable) and work their way down... this helps manage volume during the ramp, and recoup R&D costs.

Given they are the only new car company to make it in ages, hard to complain that it might not be helping...

On edit: Yeah, what several people prior to me said as well (note to self: read all posts before replying)

There is one big difference from the model S case. Buyers reserved the model S signature edition from the onset with the understanding that it would cost more. It was not a last minute thing.
Same thing is happening with the roadster founders edition.

Tesla is a mature company flush with cash. It does not need to piss off loyal cybertruck reservation holders in TX/CA. I get that they want to start with the most expensive variant; that makes sense. If you are next in line for the cyber beast and ready to spend $100k, you should not be strong armed at the last minute into spending $120k. I think this will backfire.

There is one big difference from the model S case. Buyers reserved the model S signature edition from the onset with the understanding that it would cost more. It was not a last minute thing.
Same thing is happening with the roadster founders edition.

Tesla is a mature company flush with cash. It does not need to piss off loyal cybertruck reservation holders in TX/CA. I get that they want to start with the most expensive variant; that makes sense. If you are next in line for the cyber beast and ready to spend $100k, you should not be strong armed at the last minute into spending $120k. I think this will backfire.
I guess I don't understand what the effective difference is if the Signature S was available to reserve 6 months before release, the day before release, or a day after.

Ultimately the version I was willing to pay for was going to be delivered after.

I guess I don't understand what the effective difference is if the Signature S was available to reserve 6 months before release, the day before release, or a day after.

Ultimately the version I was willing to pay for was going to be delivered after.

The difference is Signature reservation holders were not told at the last minute to take a new “SuperDuperSignature” model or keep waiting

The difference is Signature reservation holders were not told at the last minute to take a new “SuperDuperSignature” model or keep waiting
But again, if you placed your "Standard" order a year earlier, and they released the "Super" version 6 months later, you still got pushed back...

Production is volume limited. There is no effective difference if they release a higher end priority-first delivery model 24 hours before or after some arbitrary date.

It's a matter of perception. And that is admittedly something they need to manage.

Has anyone seen a list of what options are included in the founders edition. I assume FSD and things like wall charger are included. Would love to see a list.
The article says you can get either the beast mode or the AWD version. Both are +$20,000.The AWD version delivery window is December-March and the beastmode is early 2024

Tesla begins inviting customers to order $120K 'Foundation Series' Cybertrucks [Update]

When you order a Foundation Series you also get a number of accessories, including these premium accessories:

• Laser-Etched Badging
  • Full Self-Driving
  • Lifetime Premium Connectivity
  • Universal Wall Connector
  • Powershare Mobile Connector
  • Powershare Home Backup
  • Off-Road Lightbar
UPDATE 1:55pm PT: Here are the regular accessories that are included:

• 3D All-Weather Floormats
  • Smuggler’s Bay Dividers
  • Sunshade
  • Bed D-Rings
  • L-Track Hooks with Tie-Downs
  • Bottle Opener

Last edited:
I think there's a reasonable argument that it's disrespectful to a guy super early in line who wanted a 50k dual motor CT, and even now is still willing to buy an 80k one, to tell him "Look you're next on the list but only if you buy the 120k version"
I don't see any disrespect or injustice for the person with the early reservation. They can either take the configuration that is currently available for $120K or retain their place on in the queue until their chosen configuration starts to roll off the assembly line (ignoring any geographic factors that influence who can take delivery early on). The only theoretical injustice I could see would be if Tesla was saying pay $120K or lose your spot on the reservation list. It is no different than the person waiting for a RWD version; they might be at the top of the list but that configuration is not available until later (presuming reservation holders are locked into the configuration selected originally - which is probably not the case).

I just took a quick look around the net and I didn't find anything that made this "Foundation Series" rumor sound plausible.

The link I posted earlier has been updated.

UPDATE 1:55pm PT: Here are the regular accessories that are included:

• 3D All-Weather Floormats
  • Smuggler’s Bay Dividers
  • Sunshade
  • Bed D-Rings
  • L-Track Hooks with Tie-Downs
  • Bottle Opener
The price? $119,990, plus a $1,995 Destination Fee, a $250 Order Fee, but you do get a $100 credit for your original reservation. This is $20,000 more than the estimated price of $99,990 for the Cyberbeast (tri-motor) on Tesla’s website, although the email doesn’t specify these are the tri-motor version.

UPDATE 1:55pm PT: One customer who received the email reached out to us to share more details, and a lot more information about the Cybertruck was revealed that we didn’t know about before.

Foundation Series customers can order both the dual motor AWD Cybertruck or to the tri-motor CyberBeast. The $119,990 pricing applies to the CyberBeast, while the AWD version comes in at $99,990. Both variants carry a $20,000 premium over regular pricing. Deliveries for the Cybertruck AWD have an estimated window of December to March, while the CyberBeast is estimated for “early 2024.”

We also learned more about the specs of the Cybertrucks. The 340 mile (547km) range on the AWD Cybertruck is only when equipped with all-season tires. Unfortunately Tesla says those won’t be available until 2024, meaning if you take delivery now your range drops to 318 miles (512km) with the 35″ all-terrain tires. Similarly for the Cyberbeast, the 320 mile (515km) range with all-season tires drops to 301 miles (484km) with all-terrain tires.

Additionally, the Range Extender was also offered to customers who order a Foundation Series Cybertruck, and the pricing is $16,000 as speculated. However if you opt for the Range Extender all you have to pay now is $500, which guarantees priority installation. However you will have to wait as the email also states production of the Range Extender won’t begin until late 2024.

It appears as though ordering a Foundation Series also comes with a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), as most of the posts that have been shared on social media have since been deleted. (Update: We have confirmed with the customer above there was no NDA included with their email) According to the emails that were shared, Tesla says deliveries will take place this month.

Meh, that's because you can sell these easily on the 2nd hand market for a profit right now. Some youtuber would buy it from you for 200k and make that money back from just a video. The advertising dollar you can get from a CT due to the eye balls it attracts right now is insane! Put any business logo on it right now and go viral.

I don't see any disrespect or injustice for the person with the early reservation. They can either take the configuration that is currently available for $120K or retain their place on in the queue until their chosen configuration starts to roll off the assembly line

Except according to the post directly above yours, their config is coming off the assembly line.

But if they want it, without being skipped over by people behind them in line, they also need to buy a $20,000 accessories package.

That's legacy dealer level garbage.

"Well sure we can get you the car you want, but you'll need to pay for the undercoating package..."

Tesla is starting to take its customers for granted. It works until it doesn’t. Telling people to pony up an extra $20k to jump to the front of the line is disrespectful considering the vehicle is already priced well above expectations.
It reminds of the old days when ticket scalping was illegal and you had to go into a dark alley to buy tickets from a guy in a trenchcoat that looked like Cosmo Kramer. Nowadays, the promoters, venues and performers do their own scalping. Heck it's a free market. It's Catch 22. If everyone is doing it, Tesla would be a fool to do otherwise.