Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like your point, @Krugerrand, and I agree with us aiming to be impartial in our assessments. But as usual, I think you're being a bit harsh / unfair.

In @cliff harris' defence, I think there's an unbiased difference between GJ and the others he mentions, and it's not about if we agree with them or not.

I truly think GJ is paid to spout stuff he doesn't really believe (at the risk of a political analogy, it's similar to some Reps supporting the view that the election was rigged - they don't really believe it, but they say it to curry MAGA favour, Lindsey Graham is a perfect example). GJ is like a parliamentary opposition critic (check out UK or Canadian political systems if you're unsure what that entails). He takes a blindly negative view because someone (Big Oil, Hedge Funds, it's irrelevant to this point) is paying him to market views which negatively affect TSLA.

Cathie, Gary, and Electrek all say what they think, and sometimes that happens to be negative and or seem wrong to many of us on TMC. But I respect those three even when I don't agree with them.

Opposition parties serve a somewhat useful purpose as they are mandated not to lie or slander. GJ and his ilk, however, are on a lower rung of hell IMHO because I think he knowingly lies and deceives the public.
I will wear the bit harsh shirt, but I most definitely wasn’t unfair.

I didn’t disagree all that much with what Mr. Cliff said. It was the at odds, or as I called it, the hypocrisy of the sentiment I most disagreed with.

He was admonishing the people who’d just said unkind things about Cathy because he didn’t think she deserved it, fitting her into a particular grouping of people that he’d made for himself, but then went and said unkind things about GJ and MS because they fit into a different grouping for him. That’s being a hypocrite.

You all be nice to Cathy because I think she’s intelligent and she supports Tesla and whatever else, but so and so is a clown so have at it.

Uh, no. Never going to fly with me when your original message was to be kind to someone. Send a message to be kind and then be kind.

I worked for a guy who was EXTREMELY like hughes as portrayed in that movie. It makes for great late-life anecdotes, and he knew how to get amazing stuff made, but my god is was not easy on a day-to-day basis...
Interesting... do teil a tale or two, it is the day before the day before Christmas after all. Perhaps a Scrooge (ish) character?

Musicals? like
The @Wizard Trader of Oz ?
The Sound of @MusicityM3LR ?
@caba ray?

ooh, I got it!
@Singuy in the Rain!

Merry Christmas to all (and to all a good nite)!
🤦‍♀

Pet Cemetery
Beast
The Aristocats
Catnation
The Cat Returns
Keanu
The Cat
The Cat From Outer Space

I mean the list is endless. And I of course costarred in several others.

The musical Cats - duh!

Oh, and of course the very famous children’s tale, that also was made into a movie, Cat In The Hat.

FSD 12.1 positive signs rolling out to more employees , be aware that we are always get news here a few hours before you , :)

Attachments

• IMG_5332.jpeg
    IMG_5332.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
🤦‍♀

Pet Cemetery
Beast
The Aristocats
Catnation
The Cat Returns
Keanu
The Cat
The Cat From Outer Space

The musical Cats - duh!

Oh, and of course the very famous children’s tale, that also was made into a movie, Cat In The Hat.
Did you play Richard Parker? I would be impressed.

FSD 12.1 positive signs rolling out to more employees , be aware that we are always get news here a few hours before you , :)

Wow, let's get the v12.1 news into some seachable text! :D

Teslascope on X: "We can confirm that Full Self-Driving V12.1 first went out to employees two days ago via 2023.44.30.10. The initial exclusive group has now expanded by 30x and initial reviews have been positive." /X (90 min ago)

I think the discussion here is moot because:

1) Tesla says rollout of their robotaxis is dependent on regulatory approval. This is not false because Tesla has always intended to deploy a generalized robotaxis service, which encompasses the US, so they'd need approval in at least a few states.

Except it is false because they can roll it out today in over a dozen states, not just a few, without "regulators" reviewing anything.

That was the whole point of this-- that "no RTs until regulators approve" is flat out false.

"No RTS everywhere" is something different--- but then Tesla rolls out region-specific features all the time just look at how FSDb was US only... then US and Canada...but still isn't available overseas.

2) even if Tesla doesn't need NHTSA official approval, it's a bad decision to one day flip the switch on millions of L4 cars... Without some vetting from NHTSA

Except there is no such thing

NHTSA does not review or approve systems like that. At all. They have no rules you must obey, they have no group to perform such vetting.

They explicitly have left such regulation to the individual states. Most of whom that bothered to pass any law on it passed on basically saying either:

"If you (the system maker) says it's a robotaxi, and it can follow all traffic laws, and you've got insurance, you're good to put it immediately on the road"
or
"If you (the system maker) says it's a robotaxi, and it can follow all traffic laws, and you've got insurance, you're good to put it immediately on the road once you submit a form saying those things- don't worry, literally nobody will check"

Now if you have a system (self driving or not) that does something illegal- NHTSA would like a word with you. But that's for the "breaks existing law" bit and there's nothing to get "approved"- breaking the law is illegal and you don't need to run that past anyone-- that's what happened with the rolling-stops thing (which again was NOT a self driving system anyway).

3) While you may be right technically about not needing official approvals, it's difficult to imagine a world where a company like Tesla would deploy millions of robotaxis across the US without some vetting by regulatory agencies beforehand

Again- vetting by whom

You're imaging things that don't exist. Not at the NHTSA. Not in nearly any state that individually allows self-driving right now.

4) so it just seems like you're pointing out this regulatory approval issue for no real practical reason

Clearly not since you don't seem aware most of what you think is in the way of deploying doesn't actually exist outside your imagination.

The only thing in the way of Tesla (or anyone else) deploying Robotaxis today in a bunch of US states serving tens of millions of americans is the fact they don't have a system they believe is functional and safe enough to deploy as a robotaxi.

No "regulators" are preventing that at all. Only the lack of a safe and working system is.

Again all this has been covered, repeatedly and in detail, in the FSD threads with their own dedicated forum- I'd suggest you go do some reading over there before trying to discuss since further since you keep getting a lot of your basic facts incorrect.

Last edited:
TMC guide to surviving Christmas:
  1. FUD thread for when your BMW driving cousin tells you how many Congo 10 year olds you killed this year. Don't tell him about the demise of ICE, it is our secret and will ruin the fun.
  2. Bored at the dinner table? Solve the gen 3 exterior material conundrum and vote here with 3 days to go. Or download the Isaacson biography on your phone.
  3. Wow your guests with rude Grok answers on X. Coming to Tesla UI at some point soon?
  4. Not allowed to talk politics at the table? (we all know how that feels...). Nordic unionization doesn't count and is just as much fun. Or what about the robots coming and with it UBI
  5. Forget to buy your kids a present? Tell them a Cybertruck or Cyberquad for kids is in the Postnord.
  6. Want to scare your grandmother? Try explaining the process for that Neuralink implant you want in a few years.
  7. Show off your holiday update
    1. Park assist if you have it
    2. Apple Podcasts if you don't. Okay maybe forget the update.
  8. V12.1 coming soon - tell Santa that is all you want - nothing more, nothing less
Forgot to buy a Christmas card, this winter Prinsengracht? landscape might do:
1703399572355.png
Don't worry, it will all be over soon. P&D in a week!

Merry Christmas!
1703403055933.png

meanwhile, lost in the noise is the likelihood that Tesla has now deploy 'Single-stack' as standard Auto-pilot (that's the code that now bitches at AP owners too when they don't pay attention to the road). Tesla wouldn't have written this twice, they'd just restrict the feature set of FSD beta for std AP.

Cheers!

Not sure they can do that at the moment.
In end2end ai there might be no way to restrict the fsd model.

My fear is that currently tesla has separate ai teams and solutions for all kinds of things that in a perfect world would be all the same:
- rain ai
- auto highbeams should become matrix led magic
- vision ai for 3d parking
- safety ai , the one that beats them all in crash pre safety
- autopilot
- fsdb

I guess they know and work towards a single stack for all of that but my understanding is too limited how that can work

I think the only way a future full NN V12 style FSD could work would be to gate its operation depending on road type. Sell basic autopilot that only engages of highways/motorways and A-class roads, but FSD allows usage on all roads.
One of the benefits of that is that they can also give you a lot of warning about how an upcoming junction will be on to a road where you will have to take manual control.

🤦‍♀

Pet Cemetery
Beast
The Aristocats
Catnation
The Cat Returns
Keanu
The Cat
The Cat From Outer Space

The musical Cats - duh!

Don’t forget the cat in BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE.

TMC guide to surviving Christmas:
  1. FUD thread for when your BMW driving cousin tells you how many Congo 10 year olds you killed this year. Don't tell him about the demise of ICE, it is our secret and will ruin the fun.
  2. Bored at the dinner table? Solve the gen 3 exterior material conundrum and vote here with 3 days to go. Or download the Isaacson biography on your phone.
  3. Wow your guests with rude Grok answers on X. Coming to Tesla UI at some point soon?
  4. Not allowed to talk politics at the table? (we all know how that feels...). Nordic unionization doesn't count and is just as much fun. Or what about the robots coming and with it UBI
  5. Forget to buy your kids a present? Tell them a Cybertruck or Cyberquad for kids is in the Postnord.
  6. Want to scare your grandmother? Try explaining the process for that Neuralink implant you want in a few years.
  7. Show off your holiday update
    1. Park assist if you have it
    2. Apple Podcasts if you don't. Okay maybe forget the update.
  8. V12.1 coming soon - tell Santa that is all you want - nothing more, nothing less
Forgot to buy a Christmas card, this winter Prinsengracht? landscape might do:
View attachment 1002650Don't worry, it will all be over soon. P&D in a week!

Merry Christmas!
View attachment 1002662
BMW-driving cousin FUD

Transition to renewables (yearly to 2050) vs Fossil Fuel dig/drill.
1703423480710.png