Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"One-time non-cash tax benefit of $5.9B recorded in Q4 for the release of valuation allowance on certain deferred tax assets."

So they took all of FSD deferred revenue it seems
That's not FSD, it's deferred tax credits they had carried on the books for years.
Deferred revenue increased $192 million to $3.251 B.

@The Accountant is this where we'll see IRA figures?

1706132337121.png

• Helpful
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Production growth in 2023 was 37%, 1.81 million over 1.32 million.

Given the capacities Tesla states in the report today, their max capacity for 2024 is 2.23 million minus the CT. If you assume about 50K CT's for 2024 that would give a production capacity of 2.28 million for 2024.

Now include a few shutdowns for line upgrades and unforeseen little stuff, and it's not hard to see where people like me keep predicting 2.1 million production for 2024. That would be 16% production increase for 2024 over 2023, and this is why I feel TSLA will trade more or less flat for this year. Wall Street will cry and yell about how the growth story is over, and while we all know this is not true because Gen3 growth is right around the corner, for 2024 we will probably be at the mercy of the bears somewhat.

That's my hunch at least, but I'd be ecstatic to be too conservative by the end of the year. 😎
Thanks, it doesn't seem as ugly then.
So 37% up from 1.8M is 2.47M (would be typical growth) so something less they say. Hmm... Let the factories rip!

Reactions: Mengy
The reduction in price of the vehicles, outside of the CT, negates that.

If the interest rate environment was different, margins would be higher, Tesla would have more confidence about investing in expansion and additional production capacity may be added faster...

There are reasons why additional capacity expansion didn't make sense in 2023.
  1. Production capacity for all existing models is about right - focus on ramping model Y at Austin and Berlin.
  2. They don't have sufficient cells to make higher volumes of cars.
  3. The next wave of expansion is the Gen3 cars.
  4. 50% is 50% on average over a long time timeframe - Gen3 cars will be a step change
Once Gen3 production is dialled in at Austin, we may see Gen3 added at Berlin, Shanghai and Mexico fairly quickly, perhaps with multiple projects proceeding in parallel. I would not be surprised of Tesla was ahead of the 50% capacity expansion by say 2027.

Lots of things are lumpy and variable, rather than constant and predictable.

Aside from ramping CT and 4680, they need to progress Gen3 at Austin, Semi at Sparks, and probably a Model Y refresh, sometimes hardwork doesn't instantly translate into capacity expansion.

The Q4 numbers are more or less what most people expected, again these can be lumpy and variable, one quarter isn't a long term trend.

Not a fair comment. Culturally the Chinese are amazingly hard workers. Decisions have been made by Chinese company owners to make some lower quality products to drive prices blah, blah, blah…. People wanted inexpensive products. The Chinese gave that to them.

At the other end of things I have seen some really high quality Chinese products prices as they deserve to be.

Are you saying Chinese made Teslas are an inferior product? Surely not. Because customers of that Chinese product say otherwise.
I'm saying always be cautious with Chinese made products without foreign branding oversight and quality control. The Japanese naturally are overly obsessed with perfection. Only place you can find 900 dollar square watermelons and thousand dollar cantaloupes. When was the last time you have seen people trained for a decade how to perfect making sushi rice? Only in Japan.

Makes sense. The 50% target was announced before the crazy interest rate hikes - I would not believe it if the drastically changed macroeconomic environment wouldn't have any bearing on growth targets.

Yep, the 50% target is dead. History might say the record low interest rates for an excess period of time was crazy.

Precisely. While the short term outlook might be conservative for most people, the financial trend still looks outstanding when you zoom out. Tesla is doing great, and the future is incredibly bright, but we might get a really nice buying opportunity for the next year or so.

The first half of this year is a great buying opportunity, and stock price is going to continue to slide for the next 2 quarters unless some FSD breakthrough is achieved in the next 6 months - and no, the current iteration of v12 isn't it.

Positive Free Cash Flow for 15 straight quarters.
Since 2020, Tesla has been able to generate excess cash despite huge investments in factory footprint expansions, new product launches, R&D spend on FSD, Optimus and Next Gen Platform, etc.
And this is with price cuts and lower margins over the past year.
View attachment 1011899
Do you know if the 1x tax deffered revenue affects FCF? As in was this a real FCF+ or accounting?

Reactions: navguy12
It’s been obvious to me that demand has reached its limit for a while. Tesla has the capacity to produce more vehicles but doesn’t because we will end up with to much inventory.
If interest rates go down, Tesla does targeted advertising, Elon stops antagonising people etc demand will increase.
However it will have a limit because simply worldwide theirs a limit as to how many people can afford $40,000+ vehicles.

The next major jump is going to occur with the $25-$30,000 (I hope) vehicle.
As is normal for Tesla I expect delays especially as they are talking about a revolutionary process.

I hope by 2026 the numbers produced give us a big jump and within a year or two after that the number of the cheaper vehicles sold alone is more than the total production this year.

I'm saying always be cautious with Chinese made products without foreign branding oversight and quality control. The Japanese naturally are overly obsessed with perfection. Only place you can find 900 dollar square watermelons and thousand dollar cantaloupes. When was the last time you have seen people trained for a decade how to perfect making sushi rice? Only in Japan.
Now you’re saying it. You didn’t say that in your first post. My minding read skills are fairly limited, so please pretend I don’t have any at all next time. 😉