Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was one of the 'voices' telling everyone in 2020-22 to never sell and live off 1% margin loans. I don't think he should be listened to anymore. How young and inexperienced do you have to be to understand how bad of an idea that was. And him and Bruce were presenting it as a retirement strategy. How many shareholders were wiped out in 2023 because they listened to these fools who were/are in it for fame?
If you listened to 'voices' and based your decisions of them, you only have yourself to blame.

I can hear the Knives sharpening from here, damning headlines poised to be unleashed on the stroke of the report being released.

Well, that's business as usual for the financial media. I think it was in October 2019 that CNBC immediately published a headline "Tesla Mrs" 👰 the moment the earnings report came out. Prom was, it wasn't a miss. Tesla beat Street expectations.

However, in a deeply cynical and underhanded move, CNBC left their incorrectly titled article on their website until it was copied in syndication by over 400 other websites. Then and only then did they correct their headline. Damage done at that point, money already in the bank for CNBC, with no consequences.

Don't you just love that 1st Amendment protection? Sure, the Press has a right to lie for money. They're good at it, it's how they've earned their keep for decades. But like all good things, they must eventually come to an end.

❌

This was one of the 'voices' telling everyone in 2020-22 to never sell and live off 1% margin loans. I don't think he should be listened to anymore. How young and inexperienced do you have to be to understand how bad of an idea that was. And him and Bruce were presenting it as a retirement strategy. How many shareholders were wiped out in 2023 because they listened to these fools who were/are in it for fame?

Well that's your characterization of their advice. I wasn't following them at the time so unless you have specific links to illustrate your point, I'll reserve judgment. The "never sell" part sounds more like faulty memory then financial advice.

That investor, specifically, also bought a bunch on margin then later sold his house to invest and lived in his Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
FACTS. Smart 'investors' who voted yes in 2018 would be out of the stock and not even have a vote. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, but I'm recently tilted to voting 'NO' or not voting at all.
Regardless of how anyone views Elon and Tesla today, the vote is about a contract made in 2018. Elon met all of the obligations for that contract.

Anyone voting "No" tells me they are the type of person that would not hold to integrity but instead would be opportunistic regardless of prior agreements.

That's my view.

Regardless of how anyone views Elon and Tesla today, the vote is about a contract made in 2018. Elon met all of the obligations for that contract.

Anyone voting "No" tells me they are the type of person that would not hold to integrity but instead would be opportunistic regardless of prior agreements.

That's my view.
Agreed.
What's worring is the fact that many that are in the stock nowadays bought after 2018 and a good % of them are underwater, angry at the company and after someone to blame for their situation.
If we were at ATH the re-vote would be a slam dunk...

I'm casting 7,432 votes against Elon's comp plan. Why?

1.) Tesla financials/market value no longer match the comp plan metrics.

2.) Elon is a part time CEO and both he and his bro have sold off stock in an amount almost equal to the comp plan.

3.) Elon has since steered TSLA to an over 60% dump since he sold off an amount equal to the comp plan.

3. Kimbal is up for re-election. Even if you believe that Kimbal is qualified, this isn't pono.

3.) 'Tesla AI Day" "Tesla Battery Day". Lot's of hype to get investors excited to buy more stock. And it worked. Yet most of the content in these talks that were to be achieved by now are still unknown when they will be achieved.
Robotaxis by end of 2020?
$30k profit/year per Tesla owned?
$200k npv per Tesla?
100 GWh of 4680/year?
Semis in 2020?

4.) The judge may have very well overstepped her bounds in rescinding the comp plan, but given a second chance, no way can a rational person decide the CEO deserves $56B. The BOD has cashed out billions, the CEO hyped the company leading up to his $40B cash out, and hasn't given one care to the over $700B shareholder.

5.) I'm not as skeptical and I am more suseptical to fantasical claims than I thought.

6.) I once had "ELON" on my license plate, but let it expire in 2021 bc Elon was showing that he wasn't the person I thought he was. I wish I would have also lost faith in the company and sold out at that time too.

I'm not going to try to sway you...but I would like to fix just a couple small errors in your wording:

1) Elon's pay package is not $56B. My understanding is that is options to buy a number of shares at a discounted price. I believe that the $56B comes from an assumed stock price multiplied by the sharecount...but just to exercise those options, he would have to pay the company the reduced price for the shares, and pay federal taxes on the value he received. So, even at a $56B valuation for the shares, Elon wouldn't see close to $56B. At today's lower price, the value of the shares is well below $56B...and he would still have to pay the same amount to exercise them, plus some smaller amount of federal taxes. Naturally, if the stock price was notably higher, it would be possible for his value to be more than $56B too.

2) At least via a quick google search, I believe you are correct that Elon has sold a total of about $40B in Tesla shares...but that wasn't all a big cash-out. I believe roughly $10B was sold to pay the required taxes on an earlier compensation package. For the Twitter fiasco, wsj via google seems to say he sold approximately $23 billion.

Again...I'm not trying to say any of that is "good," just making sure facts are as facty as possible.

Agreed.
What's worring is the fact that many that are in the stock nowadays bought after 2018 and a good % of them are underwater, angry at the company and after someone to blame for their situation.
If we were at ATH the re-vote would be a slam dunk...
See Krugerrand comments about humanity.

Integrity is doing the right thing always, not just when it benefits the person directly.

What can really be in the ER that we don't already know? I think there was already some hinting that the free flow cash will be down. We know the deliveries...Outside of Elon saying something like "Robotaxi will be the only thing going forward and we won't make consumer cars anyone (won't happen)" is there anything that people are really worried about other than bad mood Elon?
I think what is said about the next gen vehicle will be key. If they reiterate it is on track for 2nd half of 2025 I think we rally from here. If they are postponing it or are ambiguous about it, we resume the slide.

I think what is said about the next gen vehicle will be key. If they reiterate it is on track for 2nd half of 2025 I think we rally from here. If they are postponing it or are ambiguous about it, we resume the slide.
I think there will be a vague statement about it interpreted completely different ways by different audiences, but typically earnings calls don't confirm or solidify future product updates with concrete facts.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd and EQC_
I can hear the Knives sharpening from here, damning headlines poised to be unleashed on the stroke of the report being released.

My memories get muddier with time....but all I know is that I can never predict what the stock price will do with regards to an earnings report.

Sometimes a good earnings report results in a stock price drop for whatever reason....maybe because it wasn't "good enough" for somebody's expectation.
Sometimes a more negative earnings report results in a stock price increase....maybe because it wasn't as bad as somebody expected.
A lot of times I think the stock price moves one way for a day or so after the report, and then changes drection the next day, completely counteracting the original move and going beyond.
And, of course the stock could just stay relatively flat.

I also don't think Tesla releasing info on the new Model 3 Performance should have any real effect on the stock price, mainly because any "good" thing about it can quickly be discounted as "just another expensive toy for the rich!" and then a fresh recounting of how Tesla certainly and most definitely completely cancelled the $25K model and is doomed.

Bug in the website? Or... is the Performance Model 3 actually cheaper than the long-range variant (in the USA) once you take the "savings" into consideration?
1713893121624.png

Do you disagree with what he is saying?

That's my view.

Then there those like Uncle Leo, who intends to cut off his nose to spite his face by both buying lots more shares while voting against paying Elon for the work he has already done.

He's been bitter ever since he went all "Ross Gerber" on Elon back in 2022.