Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Left leaning" people already dislike the brand because of Elon's "right leaning" tweets and too close contacts with Putin and Trump. I doubt some union battle in Sweden makes any difference at least in global scale.
Agreed. The Putin and Trump friendly tweets have done much more harm and it is also possible that they have additionally triggered the Swedish unions. Five years back, Tesla was perceived as an innovative and strong force to combat the climate crisis and was popular in almost all groups, except for among some traditional diesel heads.

Blackmailing is the way to go.

Some Tesla fan comments, including Elon himself, do not show a proper appreciation of the distinctions between:

1. voting with your wallet
2. free protected speech expression
3. legal boycotts
4. illegal boycotts
5. the various flavors of extortion, including
6. blackmail (usually requiring threat to reveal secret info)
7. tortious interference with business relationship

The details are endless, but suffice it to say that virtually all the complaints, most especially from Elon, are simply not criminal violations nor do they come under any reasonable civil liability claim, but are simply versions of 1-3.

Let's say Tesla "wins", in the sense that the Union gives up its fight to force Tesla to sign a collective bargaining agreement. I see that as unlikely given earlier similar disputes (Toys R Us probably the most famous one) But even if that happened, a lot of left leaning potential Tesla buyers now dislike the brand and are less likely to purchase the car. It would be winning a battle but losing a war. A much smarter strategy would have been to find a pragmatic, quiet, local solution while making sure that is does not effect Tesla's global strategy. I think a smart communication strategy could have both made Tesla look good locally and still explain why unions in the US are not in Tesla employees interest.

The "war" is the transition to renewable energy to save this planet, and preserving consciousness by becoming a multi-planetary species.

This battle, as you call it, is an extortion racket using their muscle to force someone into an agreement against their will. This is considered illegal in most countries with a system of law based upon the right to contract.

The further fact that entering into this agreement requires Tesla to give IF Metall a seat on the board makes it that much more criminal.

Tesla doing any of these things would be detrimental to winning the war. The tactic of basically ignoring IF Metall's demands and forcing them to keep digging themselves into a hole is the only effective approach to take. Should Tesla eventually be forced to abandon these markets due to the combined mindset of the local unions, media and the citizens, then so be it. Who will be hurt the most?

Tesla will move their deliveries to any of a number of untapped nations who would love to have the Nordic cars sent their way and the Nordic buyers would have to settle for other brands of EVs.

They think they are quite a bit more important to Tesla than they actually are. The strong-arm tactics won't work and the Nordic people will be the ones missing out on owning Tesla products and stock as they continue to grow and improve.

Despite this abhorrent behavior, Tesla has so far been steadfast in providing sales and support for their products, and will continue to do so, regardless of the challenges, until they are asked to leave.

That dedication to provide the people these services is the mark of excellence for Tesla to continue to do their best in such an adverse environment created by a group of thugs.

"Left leaning" people already dislike the brand because of Elon's "right leaning" tweets and too close contacts with Putin and Trump. I doubt some union battle in Sweden makes any difference at least in global scale.
Indeed.

I'm close by Scandinavia on a global scale (Belgium, as opposed to many TMC members that are North America based) and the scuffle between Tesla and the Swedish union(s) is only a minor newspaper article over here. The 'brand damage' observed by some is minor IMO.

I sincerely hope Tesla doesn't give in to the demands of the unions. I do not want Tesla's board to contain two members appointed by the union.

Hope this does not become another “Go F yourselves” situation.

It already is. The tactics are the same use of force intended to cause a company to bend to the will of an external influence.

If "just say no" is Tesla's response, they have my support and encouragement to set an example to the world of how to deal with people who would perpetuate such acts.

Last edited:
No source on this, but if this X post is correct, apparently 16 Nordic funds are threatening to sell their @tsla position if Tesla does not sign a collective agreement with IF Metall.

Something logical (and ethical, but that doesn't seem to matter) tells me that the pension funds can't use the funds politically - like a hostage situation that's 100% made up. It just seems like a bunch of law suits waiting to happen, from within the EU along with Tesla. Even the German IG Metall union thinks it's illegal what Sweden and others are doing has an opinion (for a lack of better words... but has chimed in). Stupidest foot shooting I've ever seen!

My question - Is there another dip coming from this? It's not acting that way, not even a twitch.

(Edit to fix country named)

Last edited:
It already is. The tactics are the same use of force intended to cause a company to bend to the will of an external influence.

If "just say no" is Tesla's response, they have my support and encouragement to set an example to the world of how to deal with people who would perpetuate such acts.
Hold on, let me unload a few of these Calls first. :oops:

Agreed. The Putin and Trump friendly tweets have done much more harm and it is also possible that they have additionally triggered the Swedish unions. Five years back, Tesla was perceived as an innovative and strong force to combat the climate crisis and was popular in almost all groups, except for among some traditional diesel heads.

I have actually thought myself that Elon perhaps thinks that a bit "right leaning" is necessary to attract the Trump loving diesel rednecks.. But it's a delicate balance to not loose too much from the left. :)

But perhaps enough of this off-topic, sorry.

Something logical (and ethical, but that doesn't seem to matter) tells me that the pension funds can't use the funds politically - like a hostage situation that's 100% made up. It just seems like a bunch of law suits waiting to happen, from within the EU along with Tesla. Even the German IG Metall union thinks it's illegal what Norway is doing. Stupidest foot shooting I've ever seen!

My question - Is there another dip coming from this? It's not acting that way, not even a twitch.

Norway? :)

At least in Sweden, there is nothing stopping a pension fund to sell stocks in companies they do not like, for whatever reasons. But their holdings are reasonably much too small for any sales to have any noticeable impact. And they would hardly panic sell everything anyway. This is just part of the drama.

Norway? :)

At least in Sweden, there is nothing stopping a pension fund to sell stocks in companies they do not like, for whatever reasons. But their holdings are reasonably much too small for any sales to have any noticeable impact. And they would hardly panic sell everything anyway. This is just part of the drama.
Oops, fixed it, meant Sweden.

Last edited:
...there is nothing stopping a pension fund to sell stocks in companies they do not like, for whatever reasons. But their holdings are reasonably much too small for any sales to have any noticeable impact. And they would hardly panic sell everything anyway. This is just part of the drama.
Drama is what Wallstreet feeds upon for each TSLA attack. You don't see this happening?
Gary's selling, not because of 2K less deliveries in the quarter - IMHO. People even here think that's an odd excuse.

Reactions: Drumheller
Elon always said that he personally doesn't agree with unions, but would never oppose his workers' rights to form one

So how about Tesla hold a ballot with their employees on what they want, make the result public and abide by the majority? Or alternatively, let those that want to be part of a collective agreement form one, the other worker able to go it alone still?

As I understand it, most of the employees don't want, or just couldn't care less, and it's hardly a big deal either, it's not the same as the UAW lachination in the US

In any case, even if the Nordic funds sell their shares, you can be sure they'll be more careful than Elon, they'll want to maximise the price they get

Something logical (and ethical, but that doesn't seem to matter) tells me that the pension funds can't use the funds politically - like a hostage situation that's 100% made up. It just seems like a bunch of law suits waiting to happen, from within the EU along with Tesla. Even the German IG Metall union thinks it's illegal what Sweden and others are doing. Stupidest foot shooting I've ever seen!

(Edit to fix country named)

No. IG Metall does not think it's illegal. IG Metall only said that it would be illegal for IG Metall workers to engage in secondary action because German law restricts secondary action. Swedish law does not.

Drama is what Wallstreet feeds upon for each TSLA attack. You don't see this happening?
Gary's selling, not because of 2K less deliveries in the quarter - IMHO. People even here think that's an odd excuse.
I have been working in and close to the financial services sector for over 25 years, both in the US and in Sweden. I have never seen a shred of evidence for these conspiracies of "Wall Street" trying to manipulate stocks. Sure, certain activist hedge funds and short seller may campaign to strengthen their cases but generally speaking markets are what they have always been, irrational short term but very rational long term.

Elon always said that he personally doesn't agree with unions, but would never oppose his workers' rights to form one

So how about IF Metal hold a ballot with Tesla employees on what they want, make the result public and abide by the majority? Or alternatively, let those that want to be part of a collective agreement form one, the other worker able to go it alone still?

As I understand it, most of the employees don't want, or just couldn't care less, and it's hardly a big deal either, it's not the same as the UAW lachination in the US

In any case, even if the Nordic funds sell their shares, you can be sure they'll be more careful than Elon, they'll want to maximise the price they get

FTFY ;)

Reactions: MP3Mike