Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few buyers care whether the manufacturer is unionized. Toyota and other Japanese companies have done very well in the US with their US manufactured cars, and their factories are non-union.

Buyers care about Word of Mouth referrals as do businesses in regards to the products/services they build (especially SaaS). The reach from WoM with unionization (as they are people), I assert would be a positive towards the mission.

The push and pull with wages would tied to the price cuts as well, this is likely one of the reasons Tesla was ready to come out swinging with price cuts and keep production moving rather than curtail production to support prices but that would mean less work for its factory lines.

Legacy auto was overproducing this year, already building up quite a bit of inventory, bam roll out strikes that throttle production while workers still get their $500/week or whatever from the union fund until contracts were renegotiated. That strike fund could be looked at as an inventory buffer of sorts, certainly some people were suspecting legacy auto didn't mind the strikes for that reason.

Gotta appreciate all the moving parts here and not have a hubristic view of what this could or could not mean for Tesla

There are several other ways of getting cars into Sweden.

🍿

I don't know much about unions. But how many union members work for fossil car makers? Or oil companies? I am just curious about random union facts here...

Re: Swedish unions won't unload Tesla cars arriving at Swedish docks:

NicklasNilsso14 on X.com says:

Tesla have no dock to get cars from, so they transport them by truck from other countries!Tesla solves problems before they happen, rather than give up!

I need a refill 🍿

Re: Swedish unions won't unload Tesla cars arriving at Swedish docks:

NicklasNilsso14 on X.com says:

Tesla have no dock to get cars from, so they transport them by truck from other countries!Tesla solves problems before they happen, rather than give up!

I need a refill 🍿
According the Swedish Public radio, Tesla are still getting cars by boats, but they are not using car-shipping boats, instead they use the normal ferry.

Transport: Tesla tries to bypass the blockade in the ports​

Published today at 06:48
  • The Transport union claims that the electric car manufacturer Tesla is trying to circumvent the blockade in the ports. An example is that around 150 Tesla cars were transported on a regular ferry, according to the union.
  • "It's clear that we're seeing what's happening and whether it can be blocked," says union chairman Tommy Wreeth.
  • Tesla declined to comment.

The UAW has less than 400,000 members; down from a high of over 3,000,000. The majority of current members aren’t even auto workers. Think about that for more than 5 seconds.

THEN, maybe do a little google search about UAW corruption and what union leaders spent members money on - for YEARS.

The very second Tesla employees think being members of THAT organization is better than they have now is the very second I’m out and expect Tesla to start going backwards on all levels; higher costs across the board, loss of efficiencies, loss of innovation, slowing of all technological advancements, dwindling free cash flow, significantly lower GMs etc…
But...but...but I thought we said to never sell, only HODL? :p

Ya my experience with Unions are only from the outside looking in, but whenever I do stuff on my own, they have been in my way and delayed what I am doing, like I'm an idiot. I'm perfectly capable of turning on a switch, lifting 40 lbs, and even screwing in a light bulb. I've seen this especially in the Theater business, Trade Shows especially - got yelled at with a feakin bullhorn by one!

However, something is needed on their end. Like an inclusive stake in the company, or quarterly profits down to every worker, and a Cap on Exec salaries (Lucid). Slavery is still out there folks, and they're working a heck of a lot harder than most just to feed us all.

My indication that wages are too low at Tesla is whether or not any one of us could actually get a job there. I know 2 here that tried. Again, I would gladly work for free.📞🌎🔥

I understand where you're coming from, though that leaves me to ponder:

why does unionization need to be rooted from negative circumstances? Why isn't it allowed to be a value add?

Perhaps, if a union were run by a benevolent A.I. instead of people it could be designed to perform as a value add, were it given good parameters to work with.

Add people into such equations, particularly those elected to positions of power, and with no effective way to prevent then from acting on their own feelings of personal greed, lust for power, and who hold a bias toward enriching themselves, and problems will arise. This is why there are so few Jedi masters.

Without someone sincerely interested in making things better for the health of the company as well as the employees, over a long term, the systems that have resulted have often enough been demonstrated to be a detriment to all.

People who work hard, play fair, and hold the scope of betterment for all as a personal ideal appear to be the least likely to rise to positions of influence and power. Elon is an exception to this rule. Who else is such an exception?

This is as true in union management roles as it is with political and public service management roles. Generally, any person who wants to hold such a position is very likely the person least qualified for being trusted with such responsibility.

Unfortunately, nearly everyone can see the potential for benefits and nod their heads and agree how something like unions would be great. How could it not just work perfectly? Let's do it!

But, people tend to think of the optimal result while giving little consideration for human nature and how much trouble it can cause.

Organized labor can do great things and has done so in the past.

The UAW is a terrible organization that is overtly hostile to the companies that the members it represents work for. It destroyed a number of midwestern communities in the 80s. Its leadership has a history of corruption and its “members can’t be paid in stock” attitude is detrimental to both its members and the companies their members work for.
I would hazard a guess that Japanese (auto) imports as well as offshoring other manufacturing to China also led to the decline of a number of midwestern communities. 🤷‍♂️

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
So, if the UAW isn't sustainability friendly, then why hasn't a sustainability-ecosystem-friendly union be created now? is it never possible in the future?
It has nothing to do with ‘sustainability/eco-friendliness’. That’s not an objective of a union. Unions are not for a company. They don’t care what a company makes. They are to represent non-managerial employees. However, unions will and have put companies out of business in the name of ‘doing what’s best for employees’.

Nothing like writing a post while the Mod is also writing the warning. 🤪

1699560125684.png

...what helps the planet and society move to sustainability quicker?
Not trying to ‘fix’ any Elon companies that have to this point lead the way and don’t need any help from unions or otherwise.
The macro is blowing up around Tesla.
No it’s not. People who want to assert their power and control everything to line their pockets are blowing macros up around us.
It's just a company.
What!?
I'm positing that stabilizing the labor force in the sustainability sector is a good thing and questioning the logic of thinking labor unions are bad 100% (edit: ) across all phases of a businesses lifecycle.
Again, what!?

My problem as a shareholder of TSLA in the low 7 digits (right now):

...what helps the planet and society move to sustainability quicker?

The macro is blowing up around Tesla. It's just a company. I'm positing that stabilizing the labor force in the sustainability sector is a good thing and questioning the logic of thinking labor unions are bad 100% (edit: ) across all phases of a businesses lifecycle.
Logic is not really enough. You’re up against a sturdy current of Ayn Rand dogma here.

There are rumors going around in Sweden that Tesla has cancelled their agreement to refer customers to the car repair company Werksta that has been in sympathy strike against Tesla and refused to service Tesla cars. This 2 days after Werksta sent an email to their customers that they will no longer be able to service Tesla cars:
1699562726032.png

Not seeing anything official about this yet, just random posters on facebook. But might be an indication of where this is going that the autoshops that refuse to service Tesla in this difficult time will lose future business with Tesla.

The UAW has less than 400,000 members; down from a high of over 3,000,000. The majority of current members aren’t even auto workers. Think about that for more than 5 seconds.

THEN, maybe do a little google search about UAW corruption and what union leaders spent members money on - for YEARS.

The very second Tesla employees think being members of THAT organization is better than they have now is the very second I’m out and expect Tesla to start going backwards on all levels; higher costs across the board, loss of efficiencies, loss of innovation, slowing of all technological advancements, dwindling free cash flow, significantly lower GMs etc…

Yes. I agree. Do a little google search...

The old leadership in the UAW has as I understand it been completely ousted. That organization now has a completely new leadership...

AMY GOODMAN: And if you can talk about, Jane [...] Explain how this new leadership came into power.

JANE SLAUGHTER: Yes. None of this would have been happening if it were the old UAW. Top UAW leaders were caught in very egregious corruption. Thirteen of them went to jail, including two presidents, for embezzlement and other crimes, dealing with the companies in an unprincipled way. And the government stepped in and gave the members the opportunity to decide that they wanted to be able to choose their top leaders, rather than them being chosen, as in the old system, just at a convention that was very tightly controlled. So, once the members had the right to vote on their top officers, they voted in this new slate.

Now, this slate, it was called UAWD, Unite All Workers for Democracy. It was formed in 2019, expressly with the purpose of trying to get the right to vote. They won. They ran seven candidates for the executive board. They were all elected. And once they had a majority on the executive board, things could start changing from the top, encouraging the members also to change things from the bottom
. [My u.] [...

Source:

The old leadership in the UAW has as I understand it been completely ousted. That organization now has a completely new leadership...

AMY GOODMAN: And if you can talk about, Jane [...] Explain how this new leadership came into power.

JANE SLAUGHTER: Yes. None of this would have been happening if it were the old UAW. Top UAW leaders were caught in very egregious corruption. Thirteen of them went to jail, including two presidents, for embezzlement and other crimes, dealing with the companies in an unprincipled way. And the government stepped in and gave the members the opportunity to decide that they wanted to be able to choose their top leaders, rather than them being chosen, as in the old system, just at a convention that was very tightly controlled. So, once the members had the right to vote on their top officers, they voted in this new slate.

Now, this slate, it was called UAWD, Unite All Workers for Democracy. It was formed in 2019, expressly with the purpose of trying to get the right to vote. They won. They ran seven candidates for the executive board. They were all elected. And once they had a majority on the executive board, things could start changing from the top, encouraging the members also to change things from the bottom
. [My u.] [...

Source:
Yes, we’ve put out a sign that says ‘Under New Management’ and changed our name so all is good now.

Meanwhile, they hired ‘actors’ and held a media event at Tesla where said people lied about Tesla and the interest employees had to be unionized.

Ya my experience with Unions are only from the outside looking in, but whenever I do stuff on my own, they have been in my way and delayed what I am doing, like I'm an idiot. I'm perfectly capable of turning on a switch, lifting 40 lbs, and even screwing in a light bulb. I've seen this especially in the Theater business, Trade Shows especially - got yelled at with a feakin bullhorn by one!

Unions make everything inefficient. They use employees to create wealth for the union leaders at the expense of the company the employees work for by utilizing mafia tactics.

I could tell countless ludicrous stories from my days working in union fab shops. Like waiting half an hour for the towmotor operator to show up and move a skid because no one else is allowed to run the towmotor, "that would infringe on someone's job", so it's better to make an entire production line wait instead. Or how the welder who normally worked on stainless liked to call in sick, but no other welders were allowed to do stainless work when he was out because that "wouldn't be fair", even though we had other welders who could.

My experiences with unions over my years in fabrication have left me very, very sour on them. I literally got to a point where I refused to take any job in a union shop, and once I worked in a non-union shop it was like I'd found paradise on Earth.

If Tesla gets overtaken by the UAW then I, like Kruggerand, just might find myself questioning my TSLA investments. One of the reasons I love Tesla as a company is they avoid all of that union crap, it allows them to foster better working environments and operate efficiently.

Unions make everything inefficient. They use employees to create wealth for the union leaders at the expense of the company the employees work for by utilizing mafia tactics
I could tell countless ludicrous stories from my days working in union fab shops. Like waiting half an hour for the towmotor operator to show up and move a skid because no one else is allowed to run the towmotor, "that would infringe on someone's job", so it's better to make an entire production line wait instead. Or how the welder who normally worked on stainless liked to call in sick, but no other welders were allowed to do stainless work when he was out because that "wouldn't be fair", even though we had other welders who could.

My experiences with unions over my years in fabrication have left me very, very sour on them. I literally got to a point where I refused to take any job in a union shop, and once I worked in a non-union shop it was like I'd found paradise on Earth.

If Tesla gets overtaken by the UAW then I, like Kruggerand, just might find myself questioning my TSLA investments. One of the reasons I love Tesla as a company is they avoid all of that union crap, it allows them to foster better working environments and operate efficiently.
Unions - employees must follow chain of command, no ands ifs or buts
Tesla - managers are there to assist workers, to help them do their work. If a manager is impeding progress, go over their head - per Elon

Unions - this is your job, you don’t ever do anything outside of it, don’t you dare lift a finger to help another or the company as a whole
Tesla - there is no ‘I’ in team, everyone do whatever needs to be done to get the job done even if it means you go work in a pop up tent for a few weeks or help deliver cars at the end of a quarter and you work normally in HR, the cafeteria, on the paint line - doesn’t matter

Unions - the majority want to go on strike so everyone must go on strike
Tesla - if you don’t like working here, you are free to lodge a complaint with HR, quit, sue us, whatever but it’s on you and not anybody or everyone else

Unions - when layoffs happen - those with less seniority go first regardless if they’re a good worker or not
Tesla - layoffs happen to those not needed or less valuable - has nothing to do with how long you’ve been there. Your work speaks for itself and the more invaluable you make yourself, the less likely you are to be on the layoff list

Unions - virtually impossible to fire a person even those with egregious behavior
Tesla - you mess up, you gone

Unions - divides a company - management vs everyone else
Tesla - we’re all in this together, management is here to help not hinder

Etc., etc.,

. [My u.] [...

Source:
Yes, we’ve put out a sign that says ‘Under New Management’ and changed our name so all is good now.

How surprising... Yet another complete mischaracterization of reality...

Meanwhile, they hired ‘actors’ and held a media event at Tesla where said people lied about Tesla and the interest employees had to be unionized.

Yeah... Let's shift focus to something completely different why don't we...

So considering how how far from reality your first statement quoted above was – I wonder how close to reality you are this time...

There are rumors going around in Sweden that Tesla has cancelled their agreement to refer customers to the car repair company Werksta that has been in sympathy strike against Tesla and refused to service Tesla cars. This 2 days after Werksta sent an email to their customers that they will no longer be able to service Tesla cars:
View attachment 989292

Not seeing anything official about this yet, just random posters on facebook. But might be an indication of where this is going that the autoshops that refuse to service Tesla in this difficult time will lose future business with Tesla.
Werksta that is on sympathy strike is now removed from Tesla's website: