Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils The Model S 60 at $66K..... effects on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Model S owner, all I can say is the estimated savings are real.
Here are the detailed assumptions that Tesla uses in the calculation.

View attachment 180232
I believe it, especially compared to a 20mpg Mercedes. Still, I'd like to at least be able to pick a car from fueleconomy.gov and change the fuel/electricity cost. Not that I can't compare a 3 to my daily (2000 Insight) myself, but it'd be nice if Tesla's calculator was more of a calculator and less of a single comparison.

Will the existing S and X packs take the 20700 cell?

My guess, they will sooner or later start using the 20700 cells in S and X, if it's more optimal size I'm sure they'll use it everywhere. Existing packs however, I'd think that no, not without some (minor?) modifications.

So, another thought on the effect of the S60 on the Model 3.

I think Tesla is testing the market at this range. Remember the Model 3 is supposed to have about the same base range. If the market at this range proves to be quite small, I suspect Tesla will make a serious effort to have a higher range for the base Model 3.

Nice thought, you might be completely right. And if you are, here's to hoping that it won't be a big seller :D

My guess, they will sooner or later start using the 20700 cells in S and X, if it's more optimal size I'm sure they'll use it everywhere. Existing packs however, I'd think that no, not without some (minor?) modifications.

Nice thought, you might be completely right. And if you are, here's to hoping that it won't be a big seller :D
I agree. Another reason would be if a lot of S60s are sold, there won't be federal tax credits left for us:(

Reactions: Booga

What we don't know is - what options will be ready when 3 goes online. I'd have guessed more complex options come later - which means fully optioned 3 at the start will be cheaper than fully optioned 3 later on.

2 biggest options are probably AWD and bigger battery. AWD is likely available at start based on the prototype. Higher battery option too - if it is not that much more complex than the smaller battery option.

What we don't know is - what options will be ready when 3 goes online. I'd have guessed more complex options come later - which means fully optioned 3 at the start will be cheaper than fully optioned 3 later on.

2 biggest options are probably AWD and bigger battery. AWD is likely available at start based on the prototype. Higher battery option too - if it is not that much more complex than the smaller battery option.

It's all relative. And "later on"...is likely at least a year down the road.

Tesla doesn't follow traditional model refresh cycles. We already know that.

And some of their options are "1's and 0's", ie software updates. Just because it doesn't come off the line with the option doesn't necessarily mean you'll need a retrofit or an entirely new Model 3 to get it. (See also: Autopilot)

Don't get hung up on what 2018's "highly optioned" Model 3 is going to be. That's irrelevant at this point.

RWD 45 in the base with the ability to software upgrade to 55 with same hardware. Dual motor is an option and requires 2nd DU installation. 70/75 is a different battery. Ludicrous contactor hardware "might" be included in the big battery, and software upgradable.

Having a battery upgradable makes sense. A "dead" DU doesn't.

One pack from 45 to 75. Nope.

I didn't see this yesterday.

Agreed on basically all accounts. I'm assuming the upgradeable battery makes sense on the Model S because that's what Tesla has figured out based on their metrics. It may or may not make sense for the Model 3 due to the increased volume and different consumer base of the 3. It's TBD. But again, I agree with basically everything you said.

A brand new Model S with the all the [old] tech package bells and whistles for under $60K after incentives? That thing's going to sell like hotcakes, my friend.

It costs over 80kEUR in here, so not really that cheap as that's over $90k :eek:

Edit: Granted, that is the final price you will pay, including taxes since they are always included in announced prices here but still...

When they saw how many Model 3 reservations were made they realised they need to ramp production for these new Tesla owners.

So thought, "hey, some of those will be buying the higher end model 3, lets give them a cheaper S, to tempt them away from the 3"
as the S is on a different production line and can be produced now.

My thoughts exactly. Since there was such huge demand for the 3 I think Tesla decided to reintroduce a cheaper model S to see if people would go for it. It has seriously made me think about it. I will crunch the numbers on a "cheap" S but still think I'll be in Model 3 territory since I'm expecting my 3 to be about $65K and the "cheap" S is $115K over here. Still a bit out of my price range.

My thoughts exactly. Since there was such huge demand for the 3 I think Tesla decided to reintroduce a cheaper model S to see if people would go for it. It has seriously made me think about it. I will crunch the numbers on a "cheap" S but still think I'll be in Model 3 territory since I'm expecting my 3 to be about $65K and the "cheap" S is $115K over here. Still a bit out of my price range.
I wonder how much a well optioned 3 will be.. Maybe it will be nearly as much as a base model S. Once you add bigger battery, supercharging and Internet..

It costs over 80kEUR in here, so not really that cheap as that's over $90k :eek:

Edit: Granted, that is the final price you will pay, including taxes since they are always included in announced prices here but still...
Jkk I am confused. It is sold in France for like 70k euros. But tesla doesn't show anything about tax incentives. So I guess the price is net of tax incentives? That would explain the gap with Finland.

I think the attraction of the Model 3 is the lower price cost - most likely without the tax credit. Putting larger batteries in every Model 3 does not seem to justify the extra cost due to the extremely high number of orders. Putting SC and other features (that can be enabled by software upgrade at a later time) is a great strategy. Until Tesla, we have never seen an auto manufacture that constantly improving the car AFTER the owner has purchased them. This alone is what attracted lots of new purchaser to Tesla.

Jkk I am confused. It is sold in France for like 70k euros. But tesla doesn't show anything about tax incentives. So I guess the price is net of tax incentives? That would explain the gap with Finland.

From their page:

€ 79 800 (cash price including VAT approx. €15 500)
+ local car tax € 3 459
+ delivery fee € 440

total € 83 699

No incentives (low car tax is the incentive since that comes from emissions, or lack of). Hope this clarifies it :)

A 60kWh S with a 75kWh pack might be a huge win for Tesla in terms of battery replacement as long as they can selectively deactivate cells/modules/whatever instead of dropping and replacing the pack.

The marginal cost of a larger pack compared to the projected increase in marginal services costs with a smaller pack may have made this an easy decision for Tesla.

Yes. I stopped by the local Tesla Store today with exactly these things in mind. Added in, or subtracted, is another $2500 from local government. It starts to get within shouting distance of a moderately-optioned M3.
But the S 60 is still too big on the outside, and still too mid-sized on the inside. The seats are a lot nicer than they used to be, though.
My Prius V spoiled me for smart interior space utilization.
Robin
Per the EPA, the Prius V is 'Midsize Station Wagon' while the Model S is a 'Large Car'. Actually, I always considered the Prius, ever since its second generation, to be the world's most perfect version of the old Pontiac J-2000 from the 1980s. It does turn out that the Prius V has a larger passenger compartment, at 97 cubic feet, compared to 91 for the Pontiac. They have the same luggage space of 34 cubic feet though. The Model S falls between the two in Passenger space with 94 cubic feet, and falls behind on luggage capacity at 26 cubic feet.

Compare Side-by-Side