Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Upper Control Arm CRACKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@alexml500
"Failure analysis of metallic components has been the preoccupation of the metallurgical community for years. When failures happen and are analyzed, the root causes should be identified and steps should be taken to change the conditions that allowed an event to happen. Then, knowing how a failure happened, the investigator can ascertain why it happened."

alexml500 The cause of this failure can be established. Fracture, fatigue, bad casting etc. Just demand that Tesla give you the failed part. I have a friend that owns a casting company and supplies the Automotive industry and I believe he can be helpful in getting the analysis. Respond to this and I will give you a way to contact.

Did you read the post on Tesla.com where where
"@steve.vukelich | August 17, 2017
"After they fixed it (it only took an hour) I asked for the part back; they refused to even let me see it. They fixed it under warranty. If they had not I would have demanded the part and would have taken it to a local university for testing"

ignorance is bliss knowledge is power --let me know if I can be of assist.

@alexml500
"Failure analysis of metallic components has been the preoccupation of the metallurgical community for years. When failures happen and are analyzed, the root causes should be identified and steps should be taken to change the conditions that allowed an event to happen. Then, knowing how a failure happened, the investigator can ascertain why it happened."

alexml500 The cause of this failure can be established. Fracture, fatigue, bad casting etc. Just demand that Tesla give you the failed part. I have a friend that owns a casting company and supplies the Automotive industry and I believe he can be helpful in getting the analysis. Respond to this and I will give you a way to contact.

Did you read the post on Tesla.com where where
"@steve.vukelich | August 17, 2017
"After they fixed it (it only took an hour) I asked for the part back; they refused to even let me see it. They fixed it under warranty. If they had not I would have demanded the part and would have taken it to a local university for testing"

ignorance is bliss knowledge is power --let me know if I can be of assist.

Yes Please Currently I am Attaching All my email to the reginal service manager as well as the assistant service manager of the branch.

My insurance adjuster will be out to investigate as well on Monday. I am demanding to have all broken part save so we can have that tested. I understand it a bit hard to dispute the sequence of the event since there weren't any witness on site. But I am sure Tesla keep a log of when the suspension were actually lowered and the exact location on when the car were stop. So it would be easy for them to investigate on sequence of event.

If the dots are large enough to bend the rim, then a car pulling onto the right shoulder could hit them with the right front and left rear, assuming the car ends up to the right of the dots. Or like @jaguar36 suggested, the bends were from a different event.

Heck, I've had to get the alloy rims on our mid sized SUV fixed 3 times, and those aren't even low profile.

Both wheel had white marking on them I Believe. I am going to try to go back to tesla Monday when the insurance adjuster are there to take more picture

BTW I have Attached 2 picture for the actual location. From these 2 you can picture yourself coming toward the dot and trying to come to a stop with no functional brake
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG

Btw Just got confirmation that it was not a control arm, it was the upper camber arm that broke, repair cost estimates at $4365.35. No other part were damage other than tha broken camber

As I stated no object were ever hit before the part gave away and the white marking under the car were cause by those Safety Dots.
I have a couple of the rear ones laying around in my garage. Wonder if the front and rear are the same.

Both wheel had white marking on them I Believe. I am going to try to go back to tesla Monday when the insurance adjuster are there to take more picture

BTW I have Attached 2 picture for the actual location. From these 2 you can picture yourself coming toward the dot and trying to come to a stop with no functional brake

So 3 of the dots on the road look broken, where there 3 or more pieces of dots laying around afterwards or was one damaged/exposed before the incident with the Tesla leaving a jagged dot to cause the incident?

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Just trying to be helpful here, but when I used google maps to scope around the area, I found a seriously raised crosswalk that could generate some damage if driven over at high speed (>15 mph). Yes, I mean >15 mph. I definitely slow down and raise the suspension on these things. Notice that there are scrape marks on the asphalt, so apparently others have driven over these at high enough speed to cause significant damage to the road surface:
Google Maps

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7 and FlatSix911
BTW I have Attached 2 picture for the actual location. From these 2 you can picture yourself coming toward the dot and trying to come to a stop with no functional brake View attachment 242351

I have to wonder about the liability of whoever installed objects in the roadway which could cause such damage at legal speeds.

I have to wonder about the liability of whoever installed objects in the roadway which could cause such damage at legal speeds.
I googled a bit. The most common type are 4" x 4" x 0.75". But there are jumbo sized 8" x 8" x 2.75"
https://stop-painting.com/images/ceramic_pavement_markers.pdf

According to this these jumbo sized ones ~2" tall can blow out and damage the rims of a car with low profile tires (such as the Model S).
http://cerpca.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5_Dimensions.pdf

OP claimed the ones there are 5 inches tall, which are even larger, if true.

I think your best bet is taking the repair bill to the city or university (or property owner of the road) and make a claim for reimbursement of damages caused by obstacles they chose to install on the roadway.

Are there any posted warning signs leading up to these bumps cautioning drivers their cars will receive severe damage if they don't stay in their lane? Collect more evidence.. You're on the right track collecting the broken bits of dots, etc.

I would totally be taking this to small claims court if they don't offer to pay the actual bill. But in court I'd raise the price to double for the inconvenience you've had to go through getting repairs ... rental car bill, if you have one, etc.

Make a case with the judge that you had a car malfunction and reason to pull over and did so and this is what happened. Find the article about driving on roadways and what you're supposed to do if your car has a breakdown ... does it say something like "if you can, pull over safely to the side (which side - nearest or right side) of road?"

Could you safely do that here? Turns out "no". This is road safety issue.
They may be ordered to remove all the dots - save all our cars please.

• Informative
> It all took place Yesterday [OP post #1 first sentence]

I don't think so. Think back and try to recall an incident where this car managed to damage wheels on opposite corners and may have provided the initial damage to the suspension part in question. Then consider all the miles in between when this part was holding on for dear life to finally die on that smooth curve. So maybe thank your lucky stars?
--

We were driving in really slow traffic on Hwy 101 South Saturday (basically a crawl at some points) and I had the opportunity to check out the dots on the hwy up here and they are plastic and very low to the ground. Even the reflector markings are not much higher. Those that OP's car encountered have to be the tallest dots I've ever seen in my travels.

• Informative
Unfortunately, I'm starting to agree with this. Seems this particular part has been failing on a lot of cars recently, and Keef might have been onto something.

Ironically it was the crazy wacko that kept filing NHTSA reports on suspension failures for OTHERs that made dismiss most of them so it took me much longer and many more reports in the forums of this failure to finally be convinced that this could be a real design defect.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Max*