Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they’re holding back so they can sell the ap1.0
I’m not sure why anyone would dislike AP1. We have several of both AP1 and AP2.5 and AP1 consistently outperforms AP2. AP2 has a few party tricks like Sentry Mode and automatically exiting the highway (which Elon promised as coming soon to AP1 a couple years ago) but the actual lane keeping isn’t up to AP1 performance, heck AP2 or 3 doesn’t even read speed limit signs like AP1! An AP1 Model X or a refresh AP1 Model S is the bargain of the Tesla market because the price is cheaper than a new one and they do everything meaningful that a brand new one does.

This is me right now, and I am torn between the choice of a blk/wh 85D with SAS AP1 etc for around 40k, or the 75/90D w/ facelift AP1 for High 40s/very low 50s.

I just have to believe a mixture of the lease returns, plus maybe, an imminent interior or exterior refresh, makes me just wait for the right Facelift MS.

I am in it for the longer haul (been waiting since Jan, and have till September) and willing to wait, so hopefully I have some answers or direction by Sep.
A facelift 90D isn’t in the high 40’s very low 50’s unless it has high miles, is beat up or has something else making it undesirable. Non D 60/75 cars maybe but for nice clean well optioned cars the value is still there. If you can get a similar condition refresh car for for not much more ($5k-$10k) than a nose cone car, the refresh is the best deal as it will hold its value better and be a better car overall.

All sold Q1, 2019.

A facelift 90D isn’t in the high 40’s very low 50’s unless it has high miles, is beat up or has something else making it undesirable. Non D 60/75 cars maybe but for nice clean well optioned cars the value is still there. If you can get a similar condition refresh car for for not much more than a nose cone car, the refresh is the best deal.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.20.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.20.11 AM.png

The attachment doesn’t open but I’d imagine you are posting cars in the mid 40’s to low 50’s. To my point the cars condition is the factor and I’ll bet you haven’t seen them in person and are looking at a list based only on price not conditions. The only 90’s below $50 are high miles with limited warranties, plus the cheapest cars are always the ones with conditions dictating the lower pricing or without features increaseing prices. There really isn’t a free lunch.

Last edited:
All of those above are Facelift 75/90D.
I personally have seen all of the pictures, since I have been searching Q1.
I decided to pass since many didnt have SAS and concerns over 90D degradation, and missed out on a couple of 75Ds

Here is a list of nosecone 90D sold.
Number of cars included in result set: 1,041
Price Range: $40,400 to $104,500
Average Price: $60,344
Standard Deviation: $10,578

With a 4yr warranty though.

Number of cars included in result set: 980
Price Range: $41,700 to $104,500

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 8.29.04 AM.png

Credit: @EV-CPO

All of those above are Facelift 75/90D.
I personally have seen all of the pictures, since I have been searching Q1.
I decided to pass since many didnt have SAS and concerns over 90D degradation, and missed out on a couple of 75Ds

Here is a list of nosecone 90D sold.
Number of cars included in result set: 1,041
Price Range: $40,400 to $104,500
Average Price: $60,344
Standard Deviation: $10,578

With a 4yr warranty though.

Number of cars included in result set: 980
Price Range: $41,700 to $104,500

View attachment 394959
If you have only seen the pictures then you really can’t comment on condition. I have never seen anyone other than Tesla try to show condition with lower quality photos. 90 degradation is overblown and they all carry 8 year unlimited battery drivetrain warranties. Starting with a lower range 75 battery unless it is way cheaper seems silly. We have 2 90’s we purchased new and both have very little battery degradation in fact we are going to sell our sons 75 and give him one of our 90’s. I’d never buy a used car based on poor photos.

Last edited:
They're used cars. I recognize that you wont receive showroom quality on the majority of this inventory, and that, unfrotunately is the pipe-dream that some of the users on this forum push for or believe they will get.
Understand the lower the price, the more issues such as curb rash, small scratches cosmetically, however, depending on where the car is located, normally can open some further expectation of the car you're purchasing.

They're used cars. I recognize that you wont receive showroom quality on the majority of this inventory, and that, unfrotunately is the pipe-dream that some of the users on this forum push for or believe they will get.
Understand the lower the price, the more issues such as curb rash, small scratches cosmetically, however, depending on where the car is located, normally can open some further expectation of the car you're purchasing.
Pricing is based on condition, miles, and equipment. I understand your point, and you are right, if you want a cheap car and don’t care much about what you drive there are without question cheap, used, poor condition Teslas available. In my opinion I believe the CPO car previous sales list is a great negotiation tool if looking to bargain on a private sale of a car in good condition but the CPO sales prices reflect what the market will pay for a car in questionable condition.

Last edited:
@IGdawgI Why do you think we have to wait till June for the facelifted lease returns? Any time I had a lease they were contacting me 6 months prior to lease end to move me to a new car (Tesla sales people might not do that) and many times the leases are returned a little before the end so they are not scrambling to find the replacement vehicle. I thought facelifted started in May, but if it was April, then we should start seeing them sooner than June. Just my thoughts and not sure if accurate.

From my research from the 2015's the flood starting occurring towards Jul +. If you also go to cars.com and pull the carfax, you'll see that the S's have been sitting quite some time; it could be many other factors such as accidents etc too.. but most are clean!
I recall a time Model S's were given an opportunity to extend their leases; I think due to the Model 3 releasing and for some, it didn't line up to the release date. I'm going to say with the rumors, that something else is stirring; which may cause the same lease extension.

I'm more curious where the large amount of 2015's disappeared to. Did they really sell???

But looking at the sales numbers for the S and X. The numbers crashed. Is it the Model 3 taking business away? Are they upgrading their lease returns. Giving it back or maybe purchasing out?

I'm more interested in a AP2 with Unlimited SC, not just the facia upgrade. But may actually give the X a try.

Is it the Model 3 taking business away?

Interesting... Not sure if it was said before and I think I read the whole thread LOL but maybe they are trying to keep the used S from taking away from new 3 sales? Like others here I am on a no rush time frame looking for a preferably facelifted P90D and have seen those dwindle down to next to nothing. I have started to consider a P3D although I would prefer an S. A model 3 spec'd the way I'd want would be around 61 without AP and FSD. Best (priced) facelift P90D I have seen dropped to 66 with a 4 year warranty and optioned like I'd like, probably had AP1 as well. If more of those cars pop up and drop a few thousand it would make the S a no brainer, even with the tax credit available on the 3. at least to me.

I’m not sure why anyone would dislike AP1. We have several of both AP1 and AP2.5 and AP1 consistently outperforms AP2. AP2 has a few party tricks like Sentry Mode and automatically exiting the highway (which Elon promised as coming soon to AP1 a couple years ago) but the actual lane keeping isn’t up to AP1 performance, heck AP2 or 3 doesn’t even read speed limit signs like AP1! An AP1 Model X or a refresh AP1 Model S is the bargain of the Tesla market because the price is cheaper than a new one and they do everything meaningful that a brand new one does.
No no not saying there’s anything wrong with it, but they have around 700 for sale. Just saying they a lot to sell.

Proof!!! Well 1 proof. I had a screen shot as I was viewing this vehicle as an option. Lol
I found this from Tesla in Feb. Located in Florida. See screen shot. It's now on cars.com. I'm sure there's more and that'll explain where the 2015 models went; would make sense since the 2016's are coming in.

Screenshot_20190412-230000.png Screenshot_20190412-225949.png

Proof!!! Well 1 proof. I had a screen shot as I was viewing this vehicle as an option. Lol
I found this from Tesla in Feb. Located in Florida. See screen shot. It's now on cars.com. I'm sure there's more and that'll explain where the 2015 models went; would make sense since the 2016's are coming in.

View attachment 396396 View attachment 396397

Not sure what you are saying about proof? That car was one of 3 Tesla’s sold at a monthly Dealer High-line auction on March 20th. It is not a secret that Tesla runs a few cars through auction every so often that they can’t sell for retail. That car sold quite cheap for a 90D ($42,600 likely based on condition) and that dealer has an extremely low markup because they sell cars without doing any reconditioning and with no haggle pricing. The other 2 Teslas that sold that day were also nosecone 90D’s but were early 16’s and they brought $47,800 and $54,600. I would imagine the other retail dealers have much more markup on the other two cars. I don’t know if Tesla was the seller of the other two cars. Tesla’s are typically run through on the monthly Highline sale day and not often sold on regular weekly sale days. This months Highline sale was on the 11th and there were a total of 4 Tesla’s sold that day, three 2013’s and a ‘16. There were a total of 1800 cars run that day and of those only the 4 Teslas, not exactly a fire sale flood of Tesla’s and no 2015’s. I have a screenshot of the sale data for the car you mentioned but it may be considered confidential dealer sales data so I don’t think it can be posted. I don’t see any proof of a conspiracy to liquidate 2015’s just normal market adjustments in sale prices.

Last edited:
Dang, Teslas are so much cheaper out West.
Every region has slightly different prices, but not much difference. If prices are much different that is due to other factors such as condition or equipment level. There is no secret cheap area as it is a national market and dealers will shift inventory if prices vary more than the transportation costs. Tesla will run cars through California actions because they can get more there. Mercedes and BMW run more trough Florida. Dealer cost to move a car across country is much less than 1k so market variation is less than that.