Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Used Inventory Down 30%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can we confirm this? So did owners get extensions??? Also,. What issues did you have? I wouldn't mind getting one with the Tesla warranty

You can confirm this by the lack of inventory. And get extensions on what?

I had sensor issues, windshield issues, FWD issues, MCU issues, rattle issues.....I personally would never own a low VIN X again. Not worth the hassle and with Tesla selling them as used cars, basically AS IS it was really tough to get certain things fixed like rattles and windshields.

• Helpful
Reactions: IGdawgI
You can confirm this by the lack of inventory. And get extensions on what?

I had sensor issues, windshield issues, FWD issues, MCU issues, rattle issues.....I personally would never own a low VIN X again. Not worth the hassle and with Tesla selling them as used cars, basically AS IS it was really tough to get certain things fixed like rattles and windshields.

Lease extensions? Cause there aren't any popping up. Or are they holding it since it may eat into newer purchases?

Wow. Bad cars to go through that much. Thoughts on the newer ones? Same?
How is this company going to stay in business?

So really the 2016 x should be avoided? Thanks for the heads up!
I wouldn't say that they should be avoided necessarily just based on the VIN.

Just because somebody says something online doesn't make it a fact. Every vehicle can be a good deal or a poor deal and the VIN number is only one piece of information that you need to make that determination. Even if a certain VIN range is known to have certain issues it can still be a good value if the price is right. Just like if a certain VIN range or car is thought to be amazing it can be a poor deal if the price is wrong. Just like any large financial decision you should do your due diligence to make sure that you are getting a good deal.

We're getting off topic now though as this really isn't what this thread is about. I would recommend doing some searching and research on the topic before pulling the trigger on anything.

Last edited:
IMO most of the lease returns are getting sent to auctions for quick cash.

Sometimes used vs new inventory isn’t that large of a gap to deal with a first year Model X.
That's the problem. Going to auction for quick cash. But there aren't many for sale period. Either through Tesla or the various other sites. There are any 100 2016 model X, 353 2016 model S Nationwide with cars.com. 9 model S, 41 model X on Tesla.com.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
That's the problem. Going to auction for quick cash. But there aren't many for sale period. Either through Tesla or the various other sites. There are any 100 2016 model X, 353 2016 model S Nationwide with cars.com. 9 model S, 41 model X on Tesla.com.
You are correct. This is truly a mystery as the Model X’s I see on cargurus move very slow. Maybe Tesla is aggressively pushing the lease end buyouts to the customers? Maybe that many people aren’t leasing?

IMO most of the lease returns are getting sent to auctions for quick cash.

Sometimes used vs new inventory isn’t that large of a gap to deal with a first year Model X.

No, they are not going to auctions either. Someone who is a dealer and has access to auction inventory recently posted here that there were less than I think 50 cars across the US available for auction. I am still convinced Tesla is trying to force people into buying new by artificially limiting used inventory for now. And they are certainly converting a solid chunk of used cars into their mobile service fleet as well so that will reduce the number of available cars. Although I can’t say by how much, no idea how many cars Tesla needs for the mobile fleet. 500? 1000? If someone knows how many service centers Tesla has in the US, that would maybe help us narrow down how many cars they need for mobile.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla released a bunch of used inventory in the next couple of months, once this push for a “record quarter” ends.

That's what people say at the end of every quarter but I don't think that really happens

I didn’t say it’s definitely happening. I just said I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened. At one point, maybe this quarter, maybe in two years, there will be a situation where cars are coming back to Tesla, but they aren’t needed as much for mobile fleet anymore because it has enough cars. Maybe Tesla will just recycle them or throw them away instead of selling - everything is possible with Elon after all, but I wouldn’t put my money on that.

I mean I really do hope it happens, I'm without a car right now because I'm waiting on a good used or inventory deal!

I did look at historical trends on EV-CPO though and even after Q4 with its crazy rush to sell, they didn't add significantly more cars to the used/new inventory.