Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla VS Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price argment reminds me of Corvette vs 911 discussions.

The taycan is made in Zuffenhausen, Porsche's major factory. The workers there are highly paid. There is a lot of craftmanship going into these cars, just look at the options list. You can specify every taycan to your personal wish and that goes far beyond paint and rim choices. Every Porsche is unique.

I fully admit that the Tesla Model S is a landmark car but in comparison to a Porsche it's a mass product first and a luxury car second. You cannot compare these two and Porsche owners will know that.

The fact that the Taycan can repeat it's perfomance all over again just adds to this argument. This is what customers expect from this cars. Porsche sportscars should be more durable than others. This is what the brands stands for with 19 LeMans victories.

The price argment reminds me of Corvette vs 911 discussions.

The taycan is made in Zuffenhausen, Porsche's major factory. The workers there are highly paid. There is a lot of craftmanship going into these cars, just look at the options list. You can specify every taycan to your personal wish and that goes far beyond paint and rim choices. Every Porsche is unique.

I fully admit that the Tesla Model S is a landmark car but in comparison to a Porsche it's a mass product first and a luxury car second. You cannot compare these two and Porsche owners will know that.

The fact that the Taycan can repeat it's perfomance all over again just adds to this argument. This is what customers expect from this cars. Porsche sportscars should be more durable than others. This is what the brands stands for with 19 LeMans victories.

Good points. Time will tell to the quality and reliability for the Porsche build. Hopefully the price will be justified based on how long it works as intended.

I've been continuing to read and enjoy the blog posts about the cross-country journey by "louv" in his new Taycan. The latest posts as I write this were about a gathering in the San Francisco Bay Area of louv and four other people who have ordered a Taycan. It was startling to me that all five of them were new to the Porsche brand. It is a tiny sample, of course, but it shows what an exciting car can do for a brand, and maybe it shows something about the interest in EVs among people who can (presumably) afford practically any luxury car. (We know that louv also has an i8 but none of the others mentioned what their current or previous cars were.)

In Our Testing, Porsche Taycan Range Nearly Equaled Tesla Model S

C&D came out with an article explaining their range test.

"When the Porsche Taycan's first EPA range figure exposed itself to the public, the outcry was swift and decisive. Even those not strong in math might realize that a paltry 192-mile rating for the Taycan Turbo S is a huge miss compared with the 326- or 348-mile figures that the Tesla Model S Performance gets. It's like coming out with a Toyota Prius competitor but, instead of getting 55 mpg, it got, say, 30 mpg instead.
Unfortunately, time and mileage constraints kept us from running the batteries as far down as we would have liked to, but the two cars were run on the same clear, 55-degree evening, at the same time, and around the same 6.5-mile oval at Hyundai's California City, California, proving grounds. As is our typical practice, we set the automatic climate control in both cars to 72 degrees. With no elevation change and no traffic to get in the way, there are zero asterisks with the comparability of our results. We were contending with an 11-mph wind, however, which alternately hurt and helped as we made our 16 loops.

Both cars started fully charged at chargers adjacent to the oval, and we ran both cars at a GPS-verified 75 mph for a total of 100 miles, tracking each car's state of battery charge, predicted range, and stated efficiency along the way. We also corrected for slight differences in odometer accuracy.

taycanvstesla-graphs2-range-1581440010.png

Car and Driver
At the conclusion of our 100 miles, the Tesla was sitting at a 55 percent state of charge, and the Porsche was just behind at 52 percent. We then used the rate of battery depletion and range reduction—which, given our idealized test conditions, was extremely stable—to extrapolate out to a predicted total range figure.

The results were far closer than we expected: 209 miles for the Taycan, and 222 for the Model S."

That's interesting to test EVs range at 75 MPH. That is CLEARLY not how EPA tests, so don't consider EPA tests range at 75 MPH. EPA tests include much slower city cycles as well. At 75 MPH, aerodynamics are completely dominating energy consumption, so if the 2 cars have similar aero coefficients....well, they will have similar results. By my calculations, at 75 MPH, you are using more than 3X the nominal powertrain/rolling resistance losses and thereby eclipsing Tesla's more efficient powertrain.

• Informative
Reactions: UkrHog and voltage
Here’s a guy driving his Taycan 10,000 miles across the country. Pretty interesting. Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal

I have continued to follow this blog as the Taycan driver proceeds around the US. Very enjoyable to read the posts, which have many lovely photos of the car and his visits here and there. The guy really knows how to live -- Good food, apparently lots of friends, and a nice car (currently on the prettiest California roads!). The Taycan seems to be treating him well, as are the Porsche dealers and owners along his route so far....

Taycan owner was looking at my car parked as I walked up. He teasingly challenged me to a race. I said I haven't raced a car in a couple years since only motorcyclists can keep up.
He kept insisting and I counter for pink slips and I can pick the destination. He asked - I said Phoenix. (This was from Central Coast California). As he walked away, I mentioned that I would arrive while he was asleep in the first night of hotel while waiting for recharge.