Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wall connector installation cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was done for $580 including tax and inspection on 60amp breaker on 100amp panel. Panel was right in garage next to it so it was a bit cheaper. I used peter @ Sigma Electric - Home he’s a real nice guy for all electric work Toronto area

1E70A955-BA23-4AE6-BDE1-A0B7CFC5E590.jpeg

$580 sounds a lot, until you think $80 for breaker, $50 for wire. That’s $450 to come you your house, test your circuit, read the instructions, install the breaker and cable up to code, and inspection certificate and more importantly have insurance to do so. I doubt that cost would change if you had the HPWC installed the other side of the garage. Its not unreasonable for 6AWG and a fairly simple install to expect $500 labor costs. It’s easy to forget that when you do everything yourself.

$580 sounds a lot, until you think $80 for breaker, $50 for wire. That’s $450 to come you your house, test your circuit, read the instructions, install the breaker and cable up to code, and inspection certificate and more importantly have insurance to do so. I doubt that cost would change if you had the HPWC installed the other side of the garage. Its not unreasonable for 6AWG and a fairly simple install to expect $500 labor costs. It’s easy to forget that when you do everything yourself.

Not sure where you get your rates from but all the other electrician guys mentioned on this forum and Tesla approved ones were all $700-1100 even so close to panel.

For what installation?, as mentioned, expect double that for 3AWG. 6AWG is easier to work with and has less involved than larger installations. That one was a 6AWG to a HPWC with a 60Amp breaker. If your paying $700-1000 then as they say, your money, your choice.

You can control charge rate from the car so it's fine to have the HPWC set to max. Comes in handy for visitors with an S or X.

Good point. In my case, I have a garage full of 220V equipment (drill mill, drum sander, table saw, band saw) and didn't want the appearance of exceeding my 200 amp. box with all that and a 90 amp. breaker sitting there. My house burns down for some other reason and the insurance denies claim for supposedly overloading panel.

Including tax, paid $1800 cad to upgrade the service panel to 200A (original 100A panel became a pony panel off a 100A subcircuit), and then paid an additional $600 to hook up a dedicated 60A line to the HPWC from the new 200A panel.

I don’t need to upgrade my panel but my panel is in the basement and need to instal a 60 amp wire, and then run about 40 feet of wire from the basement into the garage to the wall charger. He wants about $1,800.

That seems really high. Call up Graham at BracerEV and have him quote you. My setup was similar but didn't require 40ft, maybe just shy of 20ft. But I believe they have flat pricing up to 40ft runs. Tell him Tony from Caledon told you to call. They did exceptional work for me.

EV Charger Installation Services for Homes & Businesses in the GTA - Bracer EV

Our cost to install was $128,929.84. But that was for 42 chargers! Finally after 2 years of work and convincing, we are installing the infrastructure for 42 chargers in the underground parking at our condo. Works out to $3,000 per install, which may be expensive for a house install, but is quite reasonable for a condo install in downtown Toronto.

I think the value of the parking spot with an EV charger will easily fetch a premium, probably much more than $3k for the install.

I think the value of the parking spot with an EV charger will easily fetch a premium, probably much more than $3k for the install.

That is EXACTLY what I kept hammering at with the board! Quite a bit of work to stick handle this initiative through, but in the long run it will be very good for the building. As far as I know we are one of the first (if not the first) older condos to undertake this large of a retrofit.

Do a 40amp (32A charging @ 47~50km/h) yourself and save some moolah. You can get everything at Home Depot and don't even require the disconnect since it's not 60A. Just don't kill yourself ;)

Honestly I think this is bad advice if you don't know what you're doing with electrical. It's super dangerous, when I was younger the panel was open as they were doing work, I literally did not touch anything but I pointed at something inside the panel (a good foot away) and the electricity jumped and shocked me pretty bad (like a taser or maybe worse). Lucky no lasting damage (I hope! lol).

Reactions: dusdev
Do a 40amp (32A charging @ 47~50km/h) yourself and save some moolah. You can get everything at Home Depot and don't even require the disconnect since it's not 60A. Just don't kill yourself ;)

Definitely not worth it. When running that much current if the install is not done properly you could easily burn down your house. And an insurance investigation could show an improper (or at least not approved) installation and void your claim.

I say go with 6AWG so you can have 48A @ 240v which is pretty damn close to 70A @205v. Foot long jumping sparks and all. First I have heard of that happening, when I was younger we had a paddling pool, it was about 50ft long and you could dive in it, when I got older it shrunk to 5ft. But if you don’t know what you are doing maybe you can call a friend who does, as long as you shut the panel down and don’t install the breaker until you double check everything nothing will happen. In fact you could run the wire to the panel, but the breaker, fit the Wall connector and get someone to hook it up. Most of the cost is for wrestling with the wires.

Honestly I think this is bad advice if you don't know what you're doing with electrical. It's super dangerous, when I was younger the panel was open as they were doing work, I literally did not touch anything but I pointed at something inside the panel (a good foot away) and the electricity jumped and shocked me pretty bad (like a taser or maybe worse). Lucky no lasting damage (I hope! lol).

Fair enough, there is a reason it takes half a decade to become a licensed electrician. However, throughout the process I've learned a lot about my house and how it's wired by doing research into EVs and installation for the ESA inspection even thought I chose to use the mobile UMC with the 40amp weld plug over installing the HPWC.

With some research and obvious safety procedure. It can be done - question to answer is - what's your time worth? If you're not sure about your abilities with tools and electrical stuff - call an electrician/friend.