Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to charge $400 to brake diagnosis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dropped 2018 model x for charging issues and in addition to that I wanted them to check the noises while slowing down the car or taking left turns. They want diagnosis fee of $400+ to do that and i asked service advisor the fee is kind of high. I asked them if they can do a check if brakes need replacement and the cost for that is $250.

I asked for supervisor, he is general manager. No one above him you can talk to.

The car is still under warranty.

Last edited:
If the car is under warranty, they will not change you the diagnosis fee unless it is something that is out of warranty. Just say yes and let them do their work. When I bring the car in for warranty service, they always mention the diagnosis fee but it is always waived. when I brought it in for non-warranty work, then I pay the diagnosis fee....

I rejected the diagnosis because of the charge but they still went ahead and did the diagnosis.

one of the brakes is completely worn out and started chewing the rotor and another is about to do the same.

I keep hearing people that with EV's we get like 100K miles for brake pads and rotor.

Model X have 46k+ miles and tesla is recommending replacement of pads and rotors for all four wheels at cost of $1800 in total.

Pics of Rotors attached.

Should i ask for warranty coverage as it is only 46K+ miles.

Need some guidance what should i ask them.

Attachments

• image002.png
    image002.png
    327 KB · Views: 170
  • image001.png
    image001.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 79
Assume your X has 4 year/50.000 mile warranty. If you're still in the warranty period, yes, ask them to evaluate a warranty replacement of brake pads and rotors.

That amount of wear seems very high. Causes could be (1) driver is resting foot on brake pedal while driving, (2) pads were not completely disengaging from rotor, after releasing brake pedal, or (3) something else.

My much lighter Model 3 had insignificant pad wear at 27k miles/four years and rotors have no wear grooves. I haven't looked at a Model X with similar miles as yours so can't comment.

I rejected the diagnosis because of the charge but they still went ahead and did the diagnosis.
one of the brakes is completely worn out and started chewing the rotor and another is about to do the same.
I keep hearing people that with EV's we get like 100K miles for brake pads and rotor.
Model X have 46k+ miles and tesla is recommending replacement of pads and rotors for all four wheels at cost of $1800 in total.
Pics of Rotors attached.
Should i ask for warranty coverage as it is only 46K+ miles.
Need some guidance what should i ask them.
You should always ASK for warranty, even if it is nuts. But brakes wearing like yours is indicative of a problem. The 2018 uses the brakes a little more than newer models, because regen does not work all the way to zero. But it still should be minimal at 46,000 miles. Shoot, when I traded in my 2018 w 50,000 on it, I could have used the brake rotors as mirror to comb my hair. By chance, how was your energy consumption? Usually dragging brakes will show much higher than normal energy usage.

Well, yes, but...
I do remember seeing that wording in the warranty. "normal" brake wear would not be covered. Any EV with regen destroying its brakes in only 46K miles is not "normal wear", and indicates something was wrong.

Regardless, a warranty would typically cover the defective parts but not collateral damage. They might goodwill the service, but it's really not their responsibility.