Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow this is amazing!! I recently ran very low on charge on a trip up I-5 from Grant's Pass, OR to Springfield, OR because I did not account for the steady 20-30 mph headwind. I had to lower our speed an barely made it to the Supercharger, this app will be very helpful to avoid unexpected loss of range. I can't imagine how much time was spent putting this together, thanks for all your hard work!! I hopeTesla will introduce an update that incorporates this data into its charge estimations.... currently I think the system triggers the notice "You now have enough charge to continue your trip" too tightly (10%?) and does not take into consideration headwinds etc. (I think it does calculate elevation gain.... but I am not certain it does).

Wow this is amazing!! I recently ran very low on charge on a trip up I-5 from Grant's Pass, OR to Springfield, OR because I did not account for the steady 20-30 mph headwind. I had to lower our speed an barely made it to the Supercharger, this app will be very helpful to avoid unexpected loss of range. I can't imagine how much time was spent putting this together, thanks for all your hard work!! I hopeTesla will introduce an update that incorporates this data into its charge estimations.... currently I think the system triggers the notice "You now have enough charge to continue your trip" too tightly (10%?) and does not take into consideration headwinds etc. (I think it does calculate elevation gain.... but I am not certain it does).

At the risk of going slightly off topic, you are perfectly correct that the car is overly optimistic about weather conditions, which appear not to be considered, when using a 10% buffer. Even worse if you will be driving a bit faster than the posted speed limit.

The estimate does factor in elevation changes - you can see this on the trip graph where the squiggles reflect the different energy use going up and down hills. However, the initial estimate does not take into account wind, temperature (especially cold due to heating needed or extreme heat, due to cooling of the battery even if you forgo the AC), rain/snow (increase rolling resistance), or deviation from the nominal speed (usually the speed limit) for the road. Based on my experience, the updates to the trip estimate based on actual energy use are pretty simple minded: basically compute the ratio between the energy you have actually used so far over the originally estimated energy and multiply the estimate to complete the trip by this ratio, adjusting energy left in the battery accordingly.

I find I am much happier with a 15% planned buffer, and even slightly more if I know I have a headwind or other adverse weather.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
I recently did the run from Mt Shasta to Bend Supercharger. This is 215 rated miles...a full 3:30 of driving on one charge. I checked the winds forecast for several locations en-route before the start but having the app was nice to verify what I was seeing out the window (direction/speed)

Reactions: BrokerDon
Just got the Web App set up. It was tricky to find the enable your account link but post number 5 here was very helpful. Perhaps you could embed that link in the initial setup where you enter the key and account name.

Really nicely done Web App. Very clean and readable and also quite fun to watch. I will live with it for a while before sending you some suggestions. BTW, I added it to the www.lithicsnet.com/TESLALINKS.htm web page along with this Forum Thread.

Appreciate your hard work. Thank You!

I use this wind app all the time now on other than short trips. Occasionally the web app comes up with a blank black screen. Don't know what that is all about.

I do wish I could somehow have 3 windows up on the Tesla display, Nav, Energy (in trip mode) and the wind app. Right now I have to toggle back and forth sometimes sacrificing nav for wind, other times, the energy window.

Sure thing. Will need you to provide a bit more on the difference between elevation and altitude so I can figure out the best way to translate it.

Altitude is an aviation term, used to describe the plane's height above sea level.

Elevation is not specific to aviation, but more to ground transport. It refers to ground level. Elevation does not take into account bridges, overpasses, or tunnels, but specifically refers to the natural Earth surface height above sea level. This is the value that my application reports.

Reactions: e-FTW
Thank you somejoe77777
you have made travel better again.
I was also a fan of mochouinard's Tesla Headwind Estimator
but noticed it quit working some time ago
When I read your post the first time
I got exited that some one else had a wind estimator
Plus bonus elevation .
a little upfront work for us, (and a lot of great work on your part)
and now we can enjoy this awesome app.
Next time try to make an app that always gives me 15 mph tail wind. LOL

Question: for those of use lucky enough to have two cars, can the same credentials be used on both cars?

Yes, you can use the same API keys on multiple cars. The limits on the API keys are the number of times per day they're used and how often. 2 cars should not present a problem, even more would probably be OK. Note that this is not a limitation I've put into the application, these limits are set by the OpenWeatherMap.org and Geonames.org sites. You can log onto each site with your credentials and see how many requests have been made using your API keys. If you start to get close to the daily limit, you can register for another set for the other car (probably have to use a different e-mail address).

Yes, you can use the same API keys on multiple cars. The limits on the API keys are the number of times per day they're used and how often. 2 cars should not present a problem, even more would probably be OK. Note that this is not a limitation I've put into the application, these limits are set by the OpenWeatherMap.org and Geonames.org sites. You can log onto each site with your credentials and see how many requests have been made using your API keys. If you start to get close to the daily limit, you can register for another set for the other car (probably have to use a different e-mail address).

Thanks, I'll probably only use the site during road trips and it is not very probable that we'll both be on separate road trips.