Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent app, can't wait to try it out in detail!

For those having issues with setting up Geonames, see if this helps:

After getting the activation email, and logging in with it, logout, and login again.

At the bottom of the home page click on the Download/Webservice link:

View attachment 221016

Then click on the Web Service Documentation link:

View attachment 221017

That will finally take you to the link where you can go to the account page to enable free webservices:

View attachment 221018

I've already done it so all it says is 'free webservices enabled', but it has the link to enable webservices if you have not already done it.

Hope that helps! There may be a straighter path to the account settings page, but I didn't stumble across it!
Thanks for the info, this helped out a lot. Teslawinds is a very nice website to have up and running.

Reactions: boaterva
I love this app / site. It is useful on trips and shows the world just how wonderful incar UX can be when done well. It looks almost native (I have a white model S) and it is one of the few reasons why the browser is still indispensable.

I wish the location and heading would update a lot more frequently, but I think that is a browser enforced 30s update.

Thanks again for doing this.

I have the programming framework to allow that, but I don't have the graphics of any car colors other than white. If there was someone who could provide those graphics, then I'll put it in.
Do you want images adjusted for each of the possible colors (and possibly cars: S, X, 3?)
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-side2.png
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-top-small2.png
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-top2.png

I wonder if Tesla has the dash images available somewhere.

Last edited:
Do you want images adjusted for each of the possible colors (and possibly cars: S, X, 3?)
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-side2.png
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-top-small2.png
http://teslawinds.com/Graphics/modelS-top2.png

I wonder if Tesla has the dash images available somewhere.

Yes, that would be great. I'd prefer large high-resolution images (BMP, TIFF or PSD), and then I'll reduce down to the proper size and format for the web site.

I tried to colorize the ones I have for each of the available paint colors, but I never could get them to look right.

Yes, that would be great. I'd prefer large high-resolution images (BMP, TIFF or PSD), and then I'll reduce down to the proper size and format for the web site.

I tried to colorize the ones I have for each of the available paint colors, but I never could get them to look right.

Where you get the white ones from? Are there more where those came from? Can we export images of the car from our and pass them on to you?

Have you tried to contact Tesla to see if they can give you their image library? You are doing a good thing that is making their cars better, they may be willing to help.

Where you get the white ones from? Are there more where those came from? Can we export images of the car from our and pass them on to you?

Have you tried to contact Tesla to see if they can give you their image library? You are doing a good thing that is making their cars better, they may be willing to help.

The white ones I just found with a Google image search. I found other colors for some views of the car, such as the side view, but the white one was the only one that I was able to find the top view.

I e-mailed Tesla back when I first started the site, but didn't get any response.

Apparently the firmware in the car has all of the images (side and top view), but they're not colored -- they get colorized in software before display, and I don't know the algorithm used to colorize them.

The design studio on Tesla's web site has the side view of the car in all of the present colors, but no top view. And it doesn't have previously available colors (forest green, chocolate brown, navy blue, dolphin gray, titanium silver, and signature red).

Last edited:
The white ones I just found with a Google image search. I found other colors for some views of the car, such as the side view, but the white one was the only one that I was able to find the top view.

I e-mailed Tesla back when I first started the site, but didn't get any response.

Apparently the firmware in the car has all of the images (side and top view), but they're not colored -- they get colorized in software before display, and I don't know the algorithm used to colorize them.

The design studio on Tesla's web site has the side view of the car in all of the present colors, but no top view. And it doesn't have previously available colors (forest green, chocolate brown, navy blue, dolphin gray, titanium silver, and signature red).

Try msg Tesla again, your site/app is one of the examples why Tesla's MCU is better than most and it has demonstrated success. Failing that however, I a pretty sure a roughly coloured version of the white car would be appreciated by most even if it is not an exact match. Bonus if you can get an x image too.

I have a white S so your site matches it perfectly. I love the aviation style display, looks perfectly fitting for this vechicle.

Do you have higher res versions of the existing white image?

OK, I went and looked at my graphics, and I actually have more than I thought. Here's what I've got:
  • I have a Photoshop file with a high-res image of the car side view (the car itself is about 850x250). I captured this off of the Tesla design studio web site.
  • This file has layers for the following paint colors: Red MC, Pearl white MC, Deep Blue Metallic, Obsidian Black Metallic, Midnight Silver Metallic, Titanium Metallic, Solid White, Solid Black
  • I also have layers in this file for 19" slipstream wheels, 19" cyclone wheels, 21" silver wheels, 21" gray wheels, and the pano roof.
  • Manipulating layers in this file can get you any combination of features.
The problem is the top view:
  • I have a Photoshop file with a high-res image of the car top view (car itself is about 700x200).
  • Unfortunately, it's white with the pano roof only. No layers for other colors or for the solid roof.

If someone could colorize the top view with the same colors as the side view, and make layers in the top view Photoshop file for those colors, then I can render .png files for the web site.

Both Photoshop files are available here: http://www.teslawinds.com/ModelSCarGraphics.zip

I haven't declared the project open source, but all of the code is visible to everyone. Virtually nothing runs on the server, all of the programming and processing is done in JavaScript on the client. If you load the site on a desktop browser, you'll see all of the HTML and JS code.

I'm open to any suggestions or additions if you want to develop them, but I cannot guarantee that I'll roll those into the project.

Would you have a complete set of source files downloadable in compressed archive? Or perhaps drop it in a git repo.

What do you recommend for developing webpage for the Tesla browser?

Would you have a complete set of source files downloadable in compressed archive? Or perhaps drop it in a git repo.

What do you recommend for developing webpage for the Tesla browser?

Well, there are no "source" files, per se. The entire project is a combination of HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and graphics. There is no server-side code so there is nothing that is compiled. I have a Visual Studio project as my development environment just to keep everything together, but there is no VB or C# code associated with the site. All of the logic is done in JavaScript.

Other than graphics and fonts, the entire site is literally 3 files: default.aspx (contains the HTML), EVWE2.css (CSS file), and EVWE2.js (all JavaScript).

I use Visual Studio as my development environment, but for a site like this you can use anything you want. No development environment that I know of has any tools that assist in development on the Tesla browser, so you could do just as well with a plain text editor.

@SomeJoe7777 I'm still having a hard time finding the Geonames.org API number. When I follow the advice given in post #107, I just get a continuous loop, shown below. What do I do now?

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 57
@SomeJoe7777 I'm still having a hard time finding the Geonames.org API number. When I follow the advice given in post #107, I just get a continuous loop, shown below. What do I do now?

At the bottom of that account page, click on the link that says "Click here to enable". That enables your account for the web service.

In the Winds and Elevation app, use your Geonames username, in your case "ghull1".