Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winds and Elevation Web Browser App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslawinds has not been updating location for some time now. I have to refresh the URL as a workaround.

On the screen it displays "-- sec" after "Next Position Update:"

Anyone else have this issue?

The "Next Position Update" is no longer needed, as the application updates the position automatically every 5 seconds now. It is normal for that label to show "-- sec" at all times.

I intended to remove the label in the last released version, but there is other code that refers to the label, and I haven't weeded it all out yet.

Reactions: Droschke
But the location in the upper left hand corner also does not get updated, at least as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the work you do on this as it greatly helps estimate range, by the way.

That location (the text) gets updated along with the winds, which are pulled from OpenWeatherMap every 5 minutes. Depending on how the forecasts in your area are structured, this may not change until you have travelled several miles to a different forecast area.

The car's GPS position is what is updated every 5 seconds, which affects the course and speed.

Reactions: Droschke
On Model Y with 2020.24.6.4, I can't change the units to Metric. When I tap the "Imperial" button, a white rectangle flashes on top of the car info display (outside the browser area) and there's no popup to choose Metric. I have a video if that helps.

There is currently a bug in the settings panel. One of the various updates to the web browser broke it some time back and I haven't had a chance to fix it.

Add the following to the end of the URL to change to metric:

Code:
&units=2

If "&units=1" is already present in the URL, then just change the 1 to a 2.

Then re-bookmark the page to save it.

For any of the other settings, you can also add or change the following in the URL:

Code:
English: &lang=1
French: &lang=2
Norweigian: &lang=3
Spanish: &lang=4
German: &lang=5

Imperial Units: &units=1
Metric Units: &units=2

Auto Day/Night: &mode=1
Force Day Mode: &mode=2
Force Night Mode: &mode=3

is the position/heading update every 5 sec now? I thought it used to be every second at one point in time (and it was 30s before that).

Yes, 5 second updates. I used to have it at 1 second, but starting with one of the browser updates around v9 of the Tesla software, the GPS position from the browser is less accurate than it used to be. The update interval was raised to 5 seconds to average out the GPS position and make the errors smaller.

Yes, 5 second updates. I used to have it at 1 second, but starting with one of the browser updates around v9 of the Tesla software, the GPS position from the browser is less accurate than it used to be. The update interval was raised to 5 seconds to average out the GPS position and make the errors smaller.
Got it. Is there any provision to change the layout that model s and x screens are forced to be full screen? Some sort of weather radar map or related info would be amazing. I use dark sky maps for that but it is another tab.

Got it. Is there any provision to change the layout that model s and x screens are forced to be full screen? Some sort of weather radar map or related info would be amazing. I use dark sky maps for that but it is another tab.

The newer firmware on the S/X forces the browser to be full screen. Older firmware used to allow the S/X to have different applications in the top and bottom halves of the screen, but that went away a year or so back.

The newer firmware on the S/X forces the browser to be full screen. Older firmware used to allow the S/X to have different applications in the top and bottom halves of the screen, but that went away a year or so back.
I know... I was disappointed. Loved the half screen browser running Teslawinds and the other half map. Is there any chance we can improve teslawinds so it shows some other useful info on the other half of the browser? Maybe a weather radar rendering? Check out the maps on Darksky.

On my Model S, the Configuration icon on the top right corner isn’t fully shown.

Maybe the website should be a little bit narrower?

I hope Tesla brings back soon the ability to show the browser screen on the bottom half at least.

Yes, the layout fits properly on the Model 3/Y screens, but is a bit too wide for the S/X now that the browser is in a window like the Model 3/Y.

So, here is a summary of the bugs/issues I have open right now, and are on the schedule to fix:
  1. Content width on Model S/X
  2. Settings panel comes up, but isn't allowing selections
  3. Investigate GPS errors from browser position, see if I can find a way to smooth out errors so that heading and speed don't jump around.

I'm also taking a look at adding content for the lower half of the screen for S/X. This might be weather data and/or weather map. I did some poking around with the OpenWeatherMap API tonight and there are ways to get the precipitation data and overlay it on a map, but it's not the easiest thing in the world. This is in very early investigative phase and I haven't commited to putting this in the app, but I'm taking a look.