Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Working on Driver Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you recall, Tesla explicitly added the ability to use the interior camera for this purpose, and there is a setting to turn it off if you are uncomfy with it (the release notes went into this in detail when it was added). So I dont really see this as "big brother" (yet). And if you are REALLY worried and/or paranoid, just put some tape over the camera hole.
I have one of those little sliding covers over my camera. The problems start if they decide to force you to allow the camera to record in order to be able to use the driver assistance features you paid for ...

Regarding privacy, I have very little confidence in Tesla. They still don't offer a way on their web site for California residents to exercise their rights according to the CCPA. In their privacy policy they basically claim the right to collect whatever telemetry data they want. In the past they have also pulled telemetry off cars that got into accidents and published the data without the owner's permission, using it against the owner (e.g. in case of some Autopilot accidents).

Last edited:
Reactions: Needsdecaf
And I said if I was sitting in the passenger seat staring at the driver I could do the job well. The neural net doesn't have to be as good as me to be good enough.

Well you have a bit more motion in your viewing angle. I've never seen any images from the interior camera to know for sure how much it can see of the driver but it certainly cant move so if its a bad angle there's not much they will be able to do about it.

Well you have a bit more motion in your viewing angle. I've never seen any images from the interior camera to know for sure how much it can see of the driver but it certainly cant move so if its a bad angle there's not much they will be able to do about it.

This pic gives us a good idea of how much of the driver it can see. It seems to be at a good angle to be used for driver monitoring.

tesla-robotaxi-camera.png

A video-based "Driver Monitoring System" has been used for over a decade on dozens of models across multiple manufacturers:

Driver Monitoring System - Wikipedia

It seems like a prudent safety feature for autonomous driving.

Notice the picture at your link?

Specifically where the camera is and what type?

It's nothing at all like the much inferior for the job one Tesla has in it (since Tesla never designed or intended it to be used for that purpose)

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
A video-based "Driver Monitoring System" has been used for over a decade on dozens of models across multiple manufacturers:

Monitoring the driver has nothing to do with autonomous driving. There is no driver in an autonomous car.

Reactions: CyberGus
There are 5 levels of autonomy, and 4 of them require some level of driver intervention. As yet, there is no Level 5 autonomous vehicle.
Technically the SAE document does not use the term autonomous. They define 5 levels of driving automation. Level 4-5 do not require a human in the vehicle at all...
7.1.1 Autonomous

This term has been used for a long time in the robotics and artificial intelligence research communities to signify systems that have the ability and authority to make decisions independently and self-sufficiently. Over time, this usage was casually broadened to not only encompass decision making, but to represent the entire system functionality, thereby becoming synonymous with automated. This usage obscures the question of whether a so-called “autonomous vehicle” depends on communication and/or cooperation with outside entities for important functionality (such as data acquisition and collection). Some driving automation systems may indeed be autonomous if they perform all of their functions independently and self- sufficiently, but if they depend on communication and/or cooperation with outside entities, they should be considered cooperative rather than autonomous. Some vernacular usages associate autonomous specifically with full driving automation (level 5), while other usages apply it to all levels of driving automation, and some state legislation has defined it to correspond approximately to any ADS at or above level 3 (or to any vehicle equipped with such an ADS).

Additionally, in jurisprudence, autonomy refers to the capacity for self-governance. In this sense, also, “autonomous” is a misnomer as applied to automated driving technology, because even the most advanced ADSs are not “self-governing.” Rather, ADSs operate based on algorithms and otherwise obey the commands of users.

For these reasons, this document does not use the popular term “autonomous” to describe driving automation.

If Tesla did use the cabin camera for driver attention and implement hands-free driver monitoring, I'd be incredibly happy.

Yes, same here. Another great addition I'm looking forward to if it indeed comes to fruition.

Totally agree, and it was one of those missing features I wish it had. Looks like we might get it after all.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to troll here (I know, that's what a troll would say, lol) but I seriously want to know from those of you that object to the in-car camera:

The Tesla is documenting your movements with GPS, saving "black-box" data about the controls, and video recording 360 degrees everywhere you go (including your house). There are already cameras nearly everywhere, including on all the Teslas driving around you. But the cabin camera inside your own car is where you draw the line?

I understand the desire for privacy, but in the digital age, privacy in public is virtually non-existent. Why object to a camera under your control, that Tesla has said will not violate your privacy?

I'm fine with the cabin camera, but would like access to all that data. I not only want access to the video feed (which should be included with Sentry and Tesla Cam recordings), but should have access to the labels the AI is placing on me and want to know what is being done with that data. If my insurance is going to go up because I was fumbling with my phone at a red light, I should know about it.

I think cabin audio should be recorded as well, but I should be able to toggle off both cabin audio and camera as easily as I can in a video conference call.

I'm fine with the cabin camera, but would like access to all that data. I not only want access to the video feed (which should be included with Sentry and Tesla Cam recordings), but should have access to the labels the AI is placing on me and want to know what is being done with that data. If my insurance is going to go up because I was fumbling with my phone at a red light, I should know about it.

I think cabin audio should be recorded as well, but I should be able to toggle off both cabin audio and camera as easily as I can in a video conference call.

Agree with all of the points above.

Unfortunately I think we're the minority on these issues. Most people will just let the data be collected without a care in the world. I don't feel like there will be enough noise made by the right people on this to prompt Tesla to take action to be transparent on it, so any transparency beyond (hopefully) an opt-in/opt-out setting is likely to be pretty far behind any actual usage of the interior cam.

It does seem like it'd be trivial to add it to the feed for Sentry/TeslaCam, though... so hopefully they do that at least.