Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I did wait quite a while to get Teslafi, I noticed that when new I could get to 313 and even 314 once or twice when charging to 100%, at 18K to 19K miles it was down to 310, now from there you can see the trend is substantial down from the time the software update adjusted to the new calculations of 325 range (new), I showed 321 when the update was applied but have been seeing a more rapid decline since then
Image 7-31-19 at 10.34 AM.jpg

i would guess the buffer should be more than 1.4 kWh you indicate.. more like 3.5+ kWh

Could be, we know the total capacity based on the number of cells, but we don't really know the usable capacity since that is in software and could even change with a firmware update. To your point, I have also seen 74kWh usable quoted, which means (assuming no physical degradation):

if you average 239 Wh/mi you will get 310 miles on a full charge, and
if you average 228 Wh/mi you will get 325 miles on a full charge

It's hard to tell from the dashed 'rated' line on the energy display whether the constant is 239 or 242 (which it would be if the usable capacity was 75kWh).

if you average 239 Wh/mi you will get 310 miles on a full charge, and
if you average 228 Wh/mi you will get 325 miles on a full charge

While this is true (if your assumptions of available energy are true - remember the EPA test measured 78kWh available but of course some of that is the reserve):

These 239Wh/mi and 228Wh/mi numbers you quote may not be what the in-car display shows. The in-car display is just a meter and does not necessarily reflect actual consumption.

It’s confusing, and hard to know the actual numbers, for sure. But so far available evidence suggests 78kWh available from a new battery (this is very likely correct since it was an EPA measurement), and probably 76kWh or so are used by “0 miles” (no one knows exactly what the number is). And the meter in the car for such a discharge might show 73kWh used.

The Wh/rmi constant (using the in-car display) for the LR RWD is about 230Wh/rmi. For the AWD it is 230Wh/rmi (I have not checked it on the new firmware but I would think it has not changed).

Ah, okay I see the confusion. The car used to turn on and unfold the mirrors (like S/X) when you walked up before you ever pulled the door handle. That feature was called Walk Up Unlock (basically the opposite of Walk Away Lock). That feature/option is no longer present. Now to get the car to "turn on" you have to pull the door handle.
Thanks for that. I think I had walk up unlock for a week or two and then it went away. I thought maybe it was my imagination. Good choice to get rid of it. I like the way it is now.

Reactions: Electroman
Some interesting trends emerging here. Anybody know if this TeslaFi data can be exported for us to start building up a database to do some analysis?
TeslaFi gives all the data points that are used in a table below the graph. It should be easy to just copy paste that into Excel.

Edit: here are the columns in the table:
Date, Charge %, Battery Range, Estimated Range At 100%, Odometer, Firmware Version, Outside Temperature

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Screen Shot 09-01-19 at 09.53 PM.PNG

I was very happy with my battery performance (2017 S100D) through 65K miles, then I saw a steep drop. I'm at 10% total loss now, and it's affecting my ability to take the car to rural destinations. Tesla says everything is normal, of course. A big selling point for me was the unlimited 8-year battery warranty and what my sales consultant said was a "replacement battery if you experience 10% degradation". Should have read the fine print (That's only for Model 3 batteries. Sorry!). I'm quickly moving from Raving Fan to Unhappy Camper. Too bad the range in the new Porsche Taycan is only 220 miles...

Doesnt the TeslaFi data just use the estimated range the car is providing? If so this is hardly scientific since we know how inaccurate the estimated range. It changes wildly based on numerous different variables and can even be affected by changes in the way it is calculated.

View attachment 452707
A big selling point for me was the unlimited 8-year battery warranty and what my sales consultant said was a "replacement battery if you experience 10% degradation". Should have read the fine print (That's only for Model 3 batteries. Sorry!).

It's 30% degradation guarantee for the model 3. As in they'll fix it if it drops below 70% capacity. But it's not 8 years unlimited. I think it's only 120k miles. I'm at 8% and 27k miles on my model 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.