Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the API possibly had approximately a 10 minute gap in data during the start of the charge. Since the charger kWh is based on the live data it missed the incoming kWh from the charger. I just added a couple calculations to determine the difference in time between the last good data point and the current data point it's dealing with. If it determines that it's missing data points it will fill the missing charger data in with the newest good info. At least that's the theory, I put it in place and it doesn't appear to have broken anything else but it's a significant change so we'll see. It's actually something that should have been in place already to properly catch this type of thing. I only put it in place for home charges for now.

Looks like it is working! thanks!

I just noticed some strange text on the page, though. It now has a bunch of extra text between my last drive and the charge. Stuff like:

Is it possible to see kW hours used (not kW hours added) for the home location, summarized by day? I need to track how much power the car is using, since it is mixed in with someone else's power meter.

edit: I found the charges broken out by location and can see all the charges at home. Can this data be exported to a spreadsheet?

Is it possible to see kW hours used (not kW hours added) for the home location, summarized by day? I need to track how much power the car is using, since it is mixed in with someone else's power meter.

Could you help me understand what you are asking? If you are simply talking about charging, aren't they one and the same? If you are talking about power used while driving, how would that get attributed to home for the location?

I'd like to track total energy usage of the car when charging at home.
For example, this page only shows Total kWh Added, rather than kW hours used. Could you add kWh used? That would be more useful, since efficiency is variable.
TeslaFi.com Tesla Model S X Data Logger

Also, is it possible to export the data from the home charges screen to .csv? That is the data I would like to have for accounting.

I'd like to track total energy usage of the car when charging at home.
For example, this page only shows Total kWh Added, rather than kW hours used. Could you add kWh used? That would be more useful, since efficiency is variable.

Ok, I see what you mean. If it is provided though, please remember that it still will NOT be total energy used by changing the car. What TeslaFi is tracking is kWh at the charge port and what is coming into the car (due to AC/DC conversion losses). However, there are losses from the plug on the wall, through the EVSE, through the cord to the charge port. So even if TeslaFi provides a summary of kWh used from what it is recording, it will still be a lower number that what your energy meter tracked and the power company is charging you for (though it would be closer to that value than kWh added).

Ok, I see what you mean. If it is provided though, please remember that it still will NOT be total energy used by changing the car. What TeslaFi is tracking is kWh at the charge port and what is coming into the car (due to AC/DC conversion losses). However, there are losses from the plug on the wall, through the EVSE, through the cord to the charge port. So even if TeslaFi provides a summary of kWh used from what it is recording, it will still be a lower number that what your energy meter tracked and the power company is charging you for (though it would be closer to that value than kWh added).

Understood. Hopefully those losses are small, and I'm adding a fudge factor of 10% to account for losses, recording errors.
Is it possible to export the charging data for home charges?

Charger efficiency by model and charger type/current.

I'd be interested in aggregated figures showing how charger sites are performing. There's been talk of CA running at reduced power. My charge yesterday wasn't great, but it was quite cold - no idea if cold normally reduces the charge (I'd been driving for over an hour so i don't think the battery was cold). Don't know if it would be difficult to guestimate if the charging was paired though.

Basically a graph of Model/Battery size vs. SOC vs. KW, for the various Superchargers in the geographic area (e.g. Country / State)

Got one question. Model X was delivered and I traded my Model S Sig in. TeslaFi already is tracking my new X automatically.
Are there anything I need to do to switch vehicles?
Nothing else to do. If you would like to create a new account and keep the data separate for the new vehicle just let me know. I can transfer the subscription to the new account and you can keep the old one as an archive. Just email if you want to.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I'd be interested in aggregated figures showing how charger sites are performing. There's been talk of CA running at reduced power. My charge yesterday wasn't great, but it was quite cold - no idea if cold normally reduces the charge (I'd been driving for over an hour so i don't think the battery was cold). Don't know if it would be difficult to guestimate if the charging was paired though.

Basically a graph of Model/Battery size vs. SOC vs. KW, for the various Superchargers in the geographic area (e.g. Country / State)
Graphing is something I want to work on as well soon. Once I get there we can through out ideas.

@msnow , thanks! It went to XPEL full wrap and glass coating, so I miss my X... Ubering and train today.

Nothing else to do. If you would like to create a new account and keep the data separate for the new vehicle just let me know. I can transfer the subscription to the new account and you can keep the old one as an archive. Just email if you want to.
Cool, thank you as always.

Also just so you know my new X also isn't sleeping for like 24 hours. Maybe it will get sleepy after a few days.

Reactions: msnow
Right, I meant the losses from the power meter to the car inlet... The wiring losses. The car should account for the battery charging losses already, but it won't know how much power is lost in the UMC and wall wiring.

A better fudge-factor is more like 20%. Most forms of battery charging are about 80% efficient, including EV charging.

Basically, for every 1 kWh consumed "from the wall", about 0.8 kWh will be stored in the battery.

I think this request, or one like it has been made before, but it would be great to have a better way to move between dates.

Unless I am missing something, currently the only way to move through dates is one day at a time. There is a delay as each date's data is loaded.

There are many times that I may want to look at a date a week or two weeks away from the currently selected date. Getting there is frustrating and time-consuming.

I would think a simple pop-up calendar, that allows you to simply select a date would be much more efficient.

Thanks for considering this request!